Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Honestly, the only thing making it "easier" is focus being on surplus/deficit rather than absolute numbers of units, as well as abstraction of logistics so that you don't have to have your cluster of buildings to make each product.

Which is, let's be honest, pretty much the way the real world works for almost all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

People are playing the first hour or so, where the game is simpler than normal, and assuming that's representative of the whole experience, I guess. I've seen a lot of "wahh baby's first city builder", which I'm guessing is impatient grognards who bought the game assuming it would just be Anno 2071.

Also, a somewhat streamlined and simplified entry in the series isn't a bad thing at all. I've earmarked this game to pick up if it goes on sale, something I've never done with an Anno game.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Antti posted:

I'm vacillating between buying this and playing 1404 (I've only played 1602 and 2070). Are there really only nine different maps, three per biome? That doesn't sound like an awful lot. The maps seem fairly big but it still sounds like something I'd get bored of too quickly.

How does the playing simultaneously in several zones play out? It sounds like it could be a bit of a chore, especially if you need to stare at a loading screen for half a minute just to plop down a widget factory on the moon and then go back to what you were doing.

I don't think it'll have a lot of replay after you finish your One Big Game, no. I'm pretty comfortable with getting 40-60 hours out of a $35 game myself, but it's not the extreme value that strategy titles tend to be. I would understand waiting for the DLC and maybe a Deep Ocean-esque expansion that extends production chains (I don't understand why I should care about meeting needs for secrecy and health care, honestly) and makes specializing islands within a biome more rewarding than mindless sprawl.

The region play concept works well since the game is smart about letting you adjust inter-region trade routes and growing population in unplayed regions without unloading your current map. The load times are significant, though, and would be a serious problem without an SSD.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Well, I put in about 12 hours yesterday so here are my thoughts:

The good:
There is a 4 hour warning, it is cheeky and makes fun of you for being a shutin with no social skills. It doesn't seem to happen every time you play for 4 hours though.
I really like the quickview of your overall production, setting up trading routes between sites is simple and needs to be since you constantly have to adjust them later in the game.
Farm placement is just as fun as it used to be and less annoying since you can move stuff around or fly it to another island if you decide you want to use that space for a different purpose.
Game is just as addictive for me as the others. Now instead of monitoring whether I've capped out the storage for a resource I just make sure all the arrows point up or are at 0.

The bad:
There seems to be some memory leaks or something buggy over time. It starts to stutter and crashes after a few hours. It crashed twice, both after 3 hours of play.
Why can't I save manually or quicksave? I don't trust their autosave feature especially since ubi has hosed up saves before.
Is there a way to find buildings of a certain type on a map? You almost always want to max out your buildings with production modules but god help you if you can't remember where where you placed the one building that's missing one production module.
Is there more campaign/story once you start a power transfer? All that seems left is unique map missions.
Why should I care about the upper level needs of my moon men and arctic people? They are simply slaves for my investor overlords to command.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Man,once the concept of adding modules rather than necessarily slapping down another building to fix a production chain clicks with you, this game really gets fun. I don't see why everyone is getting upset over OMG MY MICROMANAGING!! because it feels like it's still there trying to juggle everything so all needs are satisfied and you still make money. Think of it as AI has been developed to handle all the tiny numbers and details, you just need to handle the big picture and make sure the production/energy/logistics/workforce are actually there to handle it.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Is anyone enjoying hard difficulty? I got to the moon on regular and it seems a bit too easy. Nothing like trying to build the Imperial Cathedral.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm still trying to unlock everything on regular but I think I will move on to the hard difficulty after that.

I'm not sure whether the few loans I had to take out were a result of not quite understanding the game (i.e. putting down new buildings instead of modules) or what but if bankruptcy = death then, yeah, I foresee quite a few false starts, as it should be.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Can you reload your last save if you go negative on hard? If it deletes your save that's a bit harsh.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It wipes your save, get gud son

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Any tips for building on the arctic. My layout is an absolute mess and is not making it easy at all to place community centers without crashing my balance.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Your balance of what? Credits? Go back to temperate and build more housing. Income is shared between regions.

Also, you can move buildings around and generally experiment without repercussion, so just do that to your heart's content. It is difficult, though, in the arctic because of the mixing of industrial and residential zones. But because production modules also produce waste heat, you'll want to to spread them out as much as possible (rather than clustering them like you typically would) to expand your waste heat coverage as much as possible.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This game is great, the 20 second unskippable seizure warning at the beginning is not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's the uplay experience so far with this game?

Bhodi posted:

This game is great, the 20 second unskippable seizure warning at the beginning is not.
Is it flashing as well?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uPlay hasn't bothered me, it's been relatively seamless- but the 45% price drop the next day on GMG is sticking in my craw :argh:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I logged into Uplay once and I think that was all I did.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I really like the ability to buy new sectors. Walbruck Basin is hideous because of my beginner sprawl but Viridian Cove will be perfect to contain my mega city. My least favorite part of Anno was always reconfiguring all the ugly unorganized crap from the beginning of the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bhodi posted:

That's why you should do eight hour marathons instead of playing for 30 minutes here and there.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I spend most of yesterday taking full advantage of being able to move buildings and refactored both my zones. I deleted copies of production buildings in favor of production modules. I also moved most of my agriculture and industry to be closer to the harbor and was able to remove all my logistics centers. I managed to generate a profit from the arctic zone and had a total profit of 7k.

Then I went to the moon. Now I've only got 1k profit. :smith:

Bhodi posted:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Brutakas posted:

I spend most of yesterday taking full advantage of being able to move buildings and refactored both my zones. I deleted copies of production buildings in favor of production modules. I also moved most of my agriculture and industry to be closer to the harbor and was able to remove all my logistics centers. I managed to generate a profit from the arctic zone and had a total profit of 7k.

Then I went to the moon. Now I've only got 1k profit. :smith:
I wouldn't even bother with the moon with less than 25k profit, go get more citizens in your temperate zone first. Everything on the moon is expensive as gently caress. Even simple mines are like 3k.

Disappointed in the corporate HQ, all it does is drain money/power. I got excited when I saw modules for it but they don't do anything either except increased maintenance. :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Snaxx posted:

Is anyone enjoying hard difficulty? I got to the moon on regular and it seems a bit too easy. Nothing like trying to build the Imperial Cathedral.
o
I am. It really does feel like colonising the moon is actually super-difficult, and I keep going back to the temperate and arctic cities to improve, streamline and maximise my income.

Also is anyone else finding that it's water and fish they're having problems with rather than the more complex stuff? Right now I'm using an absolute shitload of my coastal sites on both and it seems like there's a hard limit on how much of them you can generate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snaxx posted:

I'm enjoying it, but I've been very conservative and only seen two bankruptcy warnings so far. They really put the frighteners on you when you're about to lose a dozen hours of work due to an expansion oversight.

I would recommend aggressively expanding your temperate zone housing though - I pushed through quests to investors on basically a subsistence income of <3k and now I almost have one of 10k.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vodos posted:

Disappointed in the corporate HQ, all it does is drain money/power. I got excited when I saw modules for it but they don't do anything either except increased maintenance. :(

A biting commentary on modern capitalism.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

^^

After 12 hours it feels like I beat the game on normal, bought all the regions, got 200k+ investors, built a HQ. Unless you're gonna go for all the achievements or something I doubt there's more than 30ish hours in it when doing 1 normal run to figure the game out and then one on hard.

For the people still considering buying it, here's what the map looks like. You pick one region in each climate and get the option to buy the others later.

I can't complete the project in my moon region because while I was doing one of the quests, my warehouse just disappeared. I had to load another map, then back to the moon and build a new warehouse. Unfortunately, now I can't turn in the quest I was doing at the time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Poil posted:

What's the uplay experience so far with this game?

The Anno 2205 doesn't open for me unless I open Uplay first. But other than that niggling tidbit it's pretty much silent and non-intrusive.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Game seems neat but honestly with no random maps and no multiplayer it sounds like the replay value wouldn't be very good and that once you finish it you're just kinda done. Am I right in thinking it's probably better picked up on sale down the line for that reason?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Nah, I'm satisfied with my $60 release day purchase on Steam. Not too concerned about replay since I don't really have time to play a 100 hour game these days, and the campaign has been an absolute blast.

Disclaimer: I really like city builders and studied some supply chain management in college.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got it for $35 on GMG and it's pretty ace for that price. No, it's not infinite replayability but that's OK, there are a million other games.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I got it for $35 on GMG and it's pretty ace for that price. No, it's not infinite replayability but that's OK, there are a million other games.

Not gonna lie, I feel pretty butthurt about the price drop. I got it off steam because there was no difference and I wanted to preload.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Really really glad I picked it up off GMG for £25. I'm really not liking the game at all. I'm in the arctic zone and was attacked, went on some combat missions - the combat missions are terrible and boring. I understand its not that much more than Anno 2070, but I enjoyed setting up my military-industrial complex and my airports and nukes etc, it feels like I'm playing an iPad minigame or something.

I do appreciate the fact that building cities is a lot less grognardy with regards to needing graph paper to plan out factory and settlement layouts but I feel like there's just... nothing there. Hopefully by the time I reach the moon, things will be better.

If I'd picked it up off steam for £60 or £50, I'd probably have gotten a refund by now.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

PiCroft posted:

I'm in the arctic zone and was attacked, went on some combat missions - the combat missions are terrible and boring.

Huh, were you forced into the combat missions? I just ignore all of them.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

PiCroft posted:

Really really glad I picked it up off GMG for £25. I'm really not liking the game at all. I'm in the arctic zone and was attacked, went on some combat missions - the combat missions are terrible and boring. I understand its not that much more than Anno 2070, but I enjoyed setting up my military-industrial complex and my airports and nukes etc, it feels like I'm playing an iPad minigame or something.

I do appreciate the fact that building cities is a lot less grognardy with regards to needing graph paper to plan out factory and settlement layouts but I feel like there's just... nothing there. Hopefully by the time I reach the moon, things will be better.

If I'd picked it up off steam for £60 or £50, I'd probably have gotten a refund by now.

You'll be glad to know that the combat missions are completely optional and you can skip them by increasing your corporation rank by 1. Which just means plopping down some houses in your temperate zone.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Not gonna lie, I feel pretty butthurt about the price drop. I got it off steam because there was no difference and I wanted to preload.

Yeah, didn't care when it was $50 vs the $60 I paid on Steam, but getting shorted $25 sucks. I mean, the game is good, but goddamn.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Shab posted:

Yeah, didn't care when it was $50 vs the $60 I paid on Steam, but getting shorted $25 sucks. I mean, the game is good, but goddamn.

On top of that, the game came out 3pm PST on Monday, but GmG didn't get me my key until I was heading in to work at 7am on Tuesday. Hours after that they dropped the price.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Bhodi posted:

I had a look online and people are saying this is to mask the loading times, which is why it is unskippable. Considering it goes to the Ubisoft logo, then you can skip the opening cutscene straight to the menu this might be accurate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hiding loading is the worst loving user experience. Every time a game attempts to be a smooth experience by hiding it behind a static or cutscene it does the exact opposite of make the game appear to be responsive and well programmed.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Chief Savage Man posted:

I really like the ability to buy new sectors. Walbruck Basin is hideous because of my beginner sprawl but Viridian Cove will be perfect to contain my mega city. My least favorite part of Anno was always reconfiguring all the ugly unorganized crap from the beginning of the game.

I'm curious if the prices are fixed for each zone. What did you pay for Viridian Cove?

In my game Walbruck Basin is 363k and Cape Ambar is 1.3M. I wonder if there is an advantage to giving yourself the most expensive zone as your free choice and then just snapping up the other two.

Also, screenshots from my game:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I paid something like 900k for it I think but that went up from what it had been. I remember seeing it be 600k.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SUBOPTIMAL FARM PLACEMENT DETECTED!

(Also you can fit another juicer in there.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brutakas posted:

I'm curious if the prices are fixed for each zone. What did you pay for Viridian Cove?

In my game Walbruck Basin is 363k and Cape Ambar is 1.3M. I wonder if there is an advantage to giving yourself the most expensive zone as your free choice and then just snapping up the other two.

It scales with how far you are in the game, I think. Possibly based on the levels of the other companies. I bought Walkbruck Basin for 2.5M, and it was still the cheapest option. I started with Viridian Cove, so I don't know how much that costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Here's my city in Walbruck Basin now that I restarted on hard.

This game is pretty...

• Locked thread