Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kro-Bar posted:

He acknowledges that theory, then dismisses it.

I have no idea what he means by that, and I've read Exodus a bunch of times...

so he is honestly retarded. he knows people found burial rooms right, with writing saying about the phararoes/officials life and gifts for him in the underworld right? true alot of them were robbed but they still left poo poo behind. my brain hurts. its not a loving theory. there were tombs under alot of them. gently caress there were some mass graves in some of the earlier ones.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
ˆˆˆˆWe've had a black, a couple gay, and an atheist president. I think it's time for a mentally challenged one.

That Amesbury Facebook page is impossible to read, how the gently caress do people communicate on Facebook, at least Reddit has a sort by new function

edit: That sniper in San Diego is officially in custody 6 hours later, nobody's dead it appears.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Khisanth Magus posted:

Perhaps realizing that they don't actually do anything anyways, congress is going to be working even less days next year. Including taking the entire month of October off, possibly to avoid doing and saying stupid poo poo to harm the elections.

I wish I could work 2 days a week and get paid that much for it.
They need to start paying Congress minimum wage hourly. Give them a dorm to live in like college students so they don't have to rent a place in DC and give them 1 free meal a day.

These would still be better conditions than a lot of working people endure.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Picking up four seats isn't exactly "a dream." And even three would be substantial.

And while, yes, the trend generally is that the party in power loses seats in congress, there have been noted exceptions to that rule, and the Democrats would have a strong case to make that we can't do anything with a Republican congress, yadda yadda yadda.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Actually, we should increase Congress' wage, publicly fund all elections, and make the purchasing or selling of influence (all political donations and favors) a felony.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

Actually, we should increase Congress' wage, publicly fund all elections, and make the purchasing or selling of influence (all political donations and favors) a felony.

I am on board.

Also all primaries are in August, with generals in November.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Or we could make voting a National holiday then hire the judges from American Idol and then everyone votes by call in after the candidates perform a live performance of their favourite music.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I would also like to propose a limitation on the length of campaigning like a lot of other countries have. If you can't accomplish getting your message across in 3 months you are a failure at messaging.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://blogs.theadvocate.com/politicsblog/2015/11/04/john-bel-edwards-promises-major-campaign-announcement-in-governors-race/

ahahahaha gently caress vitter

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Or we could make voting a National holiday then hire the judges from American Idol and then everyone votes by call in after the candidates perform a live performance of their favourite music.
Cant wait for president Sanjaya.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Are there any updates on how Joanne is doing today?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Hopefully people will find this a welcome unguent for Kentucky.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Everblight posted:

please let this be a thing

Checks out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Holy gently caress I just realized that JEB is a acronym. He's the same as GOB.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a difference between a "deadlocked" convention and a "brokered" convention?

It's my understanding that a deadlocked convention can't happen because there are enough votes that can be decided going into it that a candidate would bubble-up for better or worse.

Delegates to the convention used to be selected by the state party chairs, who could then speak for their entire delegation, allowing them to broker deals with the candidates for support. Sometimes they even represented multiple delegations. Strom Thurmond guaranteed Nixon the Southern state delegations at the '68 convention in exchange for a promise that the Nixon administration wouldn't pursue busing and selection of the VP. He gave Nixon a list of acceptable VPs and that's how Agnew happened.

Nowadays, the delegates are often selected by the campaigns providing a list of names to the states or state parties. These delegates are bound to the candidate on the first ballot but become unbound if the convention deadlocks on that ballot. However, unlike in the past, these delegates don't owe anything to the state party chairs, or to anybody except their first choice campaigns, really, so there are no more independent "brokers" to make deals. This has never become an issue because the modern primary reforms that created this situation also made it almost certain that a single candidate would get a majority of the delegates prior to the convention, since each state now had to run a contest that awards delegates. The closest we got was the 2008 DNC and even there the superdelegates could have prevented a deadlock.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I don't care for GOB.

E: I made a huge mistake.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 5, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

At this point his campaign song might as well be The Final Countdown.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fixed link is here.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Oh and I should also mention that I've been told not to accept the position by a city councilman.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

At this point his campaign song might as well be The Final Countdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pillowpants posted:

Oh and I should also mention that I've been told not to accept the position by a city councilman.

He's welcome to try and impeach you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Because it's going to suck to do or more "If'n yew know whuts good fer yuh boy"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

Delegates to the convention used to be selected by the state party chairs, who could then speak for their entire delegation, allowing them to broker deals with the candidates for support. Sometimes they even represented multiple delegations. Strom Thurmond guaranteed Nixon the Southern state delegations at the '68 convention in exchange for a promise that the Nixon administration wouldn't pursue busing and selection of the VP. He gave Nixon a list of acceptable VPs and that's how Agnew happened.

Nowadays, the delegates are often selected by the campaigns providing a list of names to the states or state parties. These delegates are bound to the candidate on the first ballot but become unbound if the convention deadlocks on that ballot. However, unlike in the past, these delegates don't owe anything to the state party chairs, or to anybody except their first choice campaigns, really, so there are no more independent "brokers" to make deals. This has never become an issue because the modern primary reforms that created this situation also made it almost certain that a single candidate would get a majority of the delegates prior to the convention, since each state now had to run a contest that awards delegates. The closest we got was the 2008 DNC and even there the superdelegates could have prevented a deadlock.

Right, the only way it could become the circus I so badly want it to be, would be if, somehow, none of the candidates managed to get a majority of delegates.Which, as you point out, is nearly impossible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Tell him about the new business you're hoping to start if you could find an investor. Of course, starting a business would require your full attention, and you would have to put aside your civic duties for a while....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pillowpants posted:

Why? I hope you asked the bastard why.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Pillowpants posted:

What was the tone of thsi conversation genuinely interested

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pillowpants posted:

On the plus side, you may be the first goon to be murdered over defying a third world power structure. Well, maybe second, given Caro.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Why? I hope you asked the bastard why.
Expose his malfeasance, for sure there is plenty. You're welcome mayor of shitstain wherever, FAUXTON.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Do we have an education/charter schools megathread someplace? I tried looking through the first 5 pages and didn't see anything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What do these House committee chairmen all have in common?

Agriculture: Conway
Armed Services: Thornberry
Financial Services: Hensarling
Homeland Security: McCaul
Science: Smith
Rules: Sessions
Ways and Means: Brady

There are 21 permanent committees, so that's a third of the total. (There are four additional joint committees and one select committee.)

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Time to throw some logs onto the eternal Hillary vs. Bernie flamewar: In addition to previous claims that he's sexist, Hillary is now insinuating that Bernie is racist.

If you read the article it's Clinton saying something we say here all the time, that calling guns an "urban" problem is bullshit, esp when "urban" is code for "black". She didn't mention Bernie at all.

This is completely different than the "shouting" thing where Bernie specifically addressed Clinton by name and said that "all the shouting isn't going to change anything" and she rebutted that she hadn't been shouting but is used to people saying she was to try to diminish what she says.

Those were remarks directly addressed to each other. This is manufactured narrative. If that is sufficient to count as "insinuating Bernie is racist" then most of this forum has repeatedly insinuated that.

It's also manufactured narrative to conflated doing something -ist inadvertently with being -ist. The difference between the person who is -ist and the person who isn't is that when you point out they inadvertently did something -ist they feel bad about it and try not to do it again.

Like I never thought about using my grandmas word for "stingy" till someone pointed out to me it's based on the n-word and then I was embarrassed I'd used it and stopped doing so. If you actually aren't -ist you want people to point out poo poo like that so that you don't present like an -ist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

There are 21 permanent committees, so that's a third of the total. (There are four additional joint committees and one select committee.)

What do they all have in common , all Republicans?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm sure it's too much to hope that Carson is a deep cover sleeper agent with all that abject stupidity, right? :( Like if he wins the nomination and the election he will use his inauguration to announce his support for single payer health care or something.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Joementum posted:

Let me guess - they have somehow negative understanding of the topics they purport to represent in such committees?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cowardice is a trait in bald eagles.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

Texans. And not very nice ones, at that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Bald eagle is bald"/ "Bad eagle is bad."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Franco Potente posted:

Texans. And not very nice ones, at that.

Texas owes us all big time for putting up with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm sure it's too much to hope that Carson is a deep cover sleeper agent with all that abject stupidity, right? :( Like if he wins the nomination and the election he will use his inauguration to announce his support for single payer health care or something.

Wait until the SC primary before you worry about a Carson presidency.

• Locked thread