Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

I always figured personally that they're both human. Mac being infected isn't very likely because the only time he's offscreen alone after the blood test was after be blows the compound up. Childs, on the other hand, did wander off alone but comes back to a situation where he clearly has the upper hand. Mac is exhausted, half frozen and unarmed while Childs has a flamethrower. If he was a Thing he could easily have assimilated him or simply burned him, or just left him alone entirely and gone with its original plan to let itself refreeze. Plus it makes the ending great since Mac and Childs had been at each others' throats the entire movie and they end up sitting together, laughing and drinking and waiting to die.

If you accept the Thing prequel as canon it also changes the ending of the original significantly in another way. Kate is alive and isolated with a functioning snow cat, and in the first film we never see a female corpse in the Norwegian camp so it can be presumed she didn't go back. If she didn't return to the Norwegian camp, the US outpost is the closest thing. She's gone when the two Norwegians chase the Dog-Thing off into the snow and has no way of knowing that the Thing was already headed in that direction, so presumably that's where she'd go, particularly if she heard all the radio calls Windows was making throughout the film. Considering it was a short helicopter trip it's likely that she spent the events of the original movie driving towards them and could arrive before Mac and Childs freeze.

I haven't seen the prequel in a bit but (ending spoilers) didn't she set fire to the only snowcat they had when she killed the dude? She didn't have a functional anything at that point. I figured she's an icicle by the time the second movie starts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Anosmoman posted:

penguins are running around mauling people.
That would be the most adorable monster movie. :3:

My irrationally irritating Jurassic World moment is that the missus refuses to watch it because she saw Chris Pratt's raptor buddies in the trailer and is worried she'll be sad if they get eaten. :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sever.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Anosmoman posted:

In zoos you generally also always have two sets of doors. Like you can't just open a door and then suddenly all the lions or penguins are running around mauling people.

misguided rage posted:

Didn't they go in a human sized door and then the guy stuck inside panic opened the big one to try and escape?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I haven't seen the prequel in a bit but (ending spoilers) didn't she set fire to the only snowcat they had when she killed the dude? She didn't have a functional anything at that point. I figured she's an icicle by the time the second movie starts up.

If I remember correctly (ending spoilers) there was a second snowcat at the saucer. I can't remember if a thing took it there in its attempt to escape or if it was just left there earlier? She took that one after burning the one she arrived in.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

That's not what I mean. There's usually two sets of doors animals have to pass through. You open door 1, go in, close door 1, open door 2, leave, close door 2. That way the elephant can't charge the door when you're trying to bring in a haybale or a truckload of bananas or whatever - or rather it can but it won't get out because there's one more, locked door. In the movie there's one big door between the giant lizard and the public. If Bob the maintenance guy gets the scheduling wrong or opens the wrong door or Chad the intern mashes the wrong buttons in the control room, everybody dies.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Anosmoman posted:

That's not what I mean. There's usually two sets of doors animals have to pass through. You open door 1, go in, close door 1, open door 2, leave, close door 2. That way the elephant can't charge the door when you're trying to bring in a haybale or a truckload of bananas or whatever - or rather it can but it won't get out because there's one more, locked door. In the movie there's one big door between the giant lizard and the public. If Bob the maintenance guy gets the scheduling wrong or opens the wrong door or Chad the intern mashes the wrong buttons in the control room, everybody dies.

Ah right, like a zoo airlock. That makes sense.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also, zoos have training and equipment for every possible accident.

I work with chemicals and we spend a huge amount of time just sitting down thinking of all the ways poo poo can gently caress up and kill us. And what to do about it.

I can't believe a company that grows gigantic carnivores has no safety systems worth a drat.

I know the whole point of every Michael Crichton book and movie is that science is evil and stupid, but it just beggars belief.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I work with chemicals and we spend a huge amount of time just sitting down thinking of all the ways poo poo can gently caress up and kill us. And what to do about it.

I can't believe a company that grows gigantic carnivores has no safety systems worth a drat.

I know the whole point of every Michael Crichton book and movie is that science is evil and stupid, but it just beggars belief.

I thought the whole point was always that science exploited for financial gain is evil and stupid, but I haven't even seen JW.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think that Crichton's books are more about that humanity will find a way to gently caress up what Science gives us.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Anosmoman posted:

They had those doors on the raptor cage didn't they? Just couldn't be bothered to do it for the big bad monster I guess...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hey, those doors ain't cheap. And with Hammond gone, they spare every expense they can.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

You think your job would have half as many safety systems if they weren't required to? Why do you think Jurassic World is in South America in the first place?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been watching The Flash. It's a dumb, campy show but whatever. What really irritates me is that the fastest man on Earth gets beaten up a lot. Like, a lot. Not against guys with super strength, speed, or fighting capability or anything, either. Like, dude, you can move retarded fast - why are you allowing a punch to even connect with you? Why aren't your punches sending these guys flying backwards? It's ridiculous.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Gorilla Salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn4Krb-HoI

Tip of the iceberg for preventable industrial disasters because of inadequate equipment. Companies dealing with dangerous materials/dinosaurs skimping on safety is perhaps the most believable part of the movie.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I've been watching The Flash. It's a dumb, campy show but whatever. What really irritates me is that the fastest man on Earth gets beaten up a lot. Like, a lot. Not against guys with super strength, speed, or fighting capability or anything, either. Like, dude, you can move retarded fast - why are you allowing a punch to even connect with you? Why aren't your punches sending these guys flying backwards? It's ridiculous.

He can literally catch bullets so he should be pretty much invincible. Like in the latest episode when he's fighting the magical light powers girl, he shouldn't even have to break a sweat. "Guys, how do I beat her?" Dude, you're the Flash, just go up to her, pick her up and put her in jail before she knows what happened. It's all to set up cool ways for him to do cool stuff, of course, but yeah, it's definitely one of those shows you shouldn't think about at all.

It's so much fun, though. I really love it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taeke posted:

He can literally catch bullets so he should be pretty much invincible. Like in the latest episode when he's fighting the magical light powers girl, he shouldn't even have to break a sweat. "Guys, how do I beat her?" Dude, you're the Flash, just go up to her, pick her up and put her in jail before she knows what happened. It's all to set up cool ways for him to do cool stuff, of course, but yeah, it's definitely one of those shows you shouldn't think about at all.

It's so much fun, though. I really love it.

Even if for some reason he can't just outrun whatever their powers are head on (and in this case despite being blasts of light, they moved slowly) he can run around and come up behind any enemy in an instant and bash their head in.

Which is exactly what he did, after the totally unnecessary solution of running so fast he creates after images to confuse her.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only in season one of The Flash but I guess it makes more sense then. His powers are still new and he doesn't now how fast he can actually go and how to use his speed to his advantage. I liked how The Arrow pretty much told him " you need to scout out every location where a confrontation can happen. You have the time to do this but you don't. And that's pretty stupid" because yeah, you shouldn't be able to surprise him with a trap.

I guess it also makes sense that he's not good at the whole fighting stuff. He's only a nerd who's been given powers. Not some martial arts expert. It also hurts like hell to punch someone so he's probably not to keen on doing it even though he heals quickly.

Shai-Hulud has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Nov 4, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Even if for some reason he can't just outrun whatever their powers are head on (and in this case despite being blasts of light, they moved slowly) he can run around and come up behind any enemy in an instant and bash their head in.

Which is exactly what he did, after the totally unnecessary solution of running so fast he creates after images to confuse her.

Exactly, but it looked pretty cool so I'll give it a pass.

I mean, the previous episode ended with him getting owned by a huge gently caress-off Shark. It's goofy as gently caress but because of that perhaps the best live-action show to capture the feel of comic books on tv right now, in my opinion.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Taeke posted:

Exactly, but it looked pretty cool so I'll give it a pass.

I mean, the previous episode ended with him getting owned by a huge gently caress-off Shark. It's goofy as gently caress but because of that perhaps the best live-action show to capture the feel of comic books on tv right now, in my opinion.

I'm just on the fourth episode right now, but yeah it's super goofy. Every time the 'nerd' of the show names one of the villains, I immediately think "Yeah that's probably the guy's comic book name isn't it". It's a dumb show that doesn't take itself seriously, unlike say The Arrow, so I like it a lot more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Morpheus posted:

It's a dumb show that doesn't take itself seriously, unlike say The Arrow, so I like it a lot more.

It does sometimes then we get a fucken boxing glove arrow.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The thing to remember about the Flash is that his biggest weakness, in the comics, animated series/movies, and presumably the show, is forgetting that he is, in fact, the Flash.

(also slippery floors and glue)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Who What Now posted:

The thing to remember about the Flash is that his biggest weakness, in the comics, animated series/movies, and presumably the show, is forgetting that he is, in fact, the Flash.

(also slippery floors and glue)

He should be more impulsive

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

He should be more impulsive

:golfclap:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

LXG was baffling in how they couldn't get Dorian Gray right. Dorian dies when he looks at his painting, which until now was hanging in plain view in a hall in his house.

Huh? Alam Quartermaine explicitly points out that there is a missing picture on Dorian' wall. And it's later shown to be wrapped in paper and string.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Huh? Alam Quartermaine explicitly points out that there is a missing picture on Dorian' wall. And it's later shown to be wrapped in paper and string.

I thought he was only able to tell there was a missing picture due to the un-faded mark it left on the wallpaper or something, indicating that it had been hanging there quite a while beforehand.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

It's been well over a decade since I read it but how did herbert describe it?

So the Bene Gesserit prana-bindu training is all about honing their nervous systems to act in the appropriate ways, and the Honoured Matre's (crazed space BGs) have taken this a step further and are able to generate nerve impulses within their muscles. There's more going on than just crazy kung-fu, they're fighting by pure reflex.

Herbert gives pretty little description to the hand-to-hand (other than Paul's showdown with Jami), it gives very perfunctory treatment to all the kicks and counters, which is why I always imagined it as these unnaturally isolated movements.

Chapterhouse:Dune posted:

A Bene Gesserit feint drifted the feather that was her foe into range. One Hormu-style kick for them to recognize. The questioner lay dead on the ground.

It was too much. Logno attacked, left foot slashing outward with blinding speed. Murbella grasped the foot as she would catch a wind-blown leaf and, continuing the flow of it, levered Logno into a threshing club that ended with her head pulped on the floor. Without pausing, Murbella pirouetted, left foot almost decapitating the Honored Matre who had stood at Logno's right, the right hand crushing the throat of the one who had stood at Logno's left. It was over in two heartbeats.

Elpek saw death in Murbella's eyes and took one backward step before trying to defend herself. Elpek was dangerous but no match for this demon in the black robe. It was over with the same shocking abruptness that had taken Logno and her aides: a kick to the larynx. Elpek sprawled across Odrade.

I would bet good money on any film adaptation turning that into either bullet time or stupid blurry jumps, which would completely miss the point about how casually lethal the Weirding Way is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Women who won't take the shot even when being menaced by rapey men twice their size.

I'm watching this horrible pos Prisoners of the Lost Dimension but suddenly flashed back to Fury Road

I mean, I get that taking Immortan out that early would have been a shame as far as the movie goes but it would have been so simple.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inzombiac posted:

The Thing:

If you accept the prequel as canon, and I do because I think it's a good movie, the Childs must be a human at the end because he still has an earring.

Why would the earring matter? Pain?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It can't replicate metal. It doesn't have a need for it (fillings, leg and arm pins/plates, etc) so it just discharges it. Earrings would fall into that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

syscall girl posted:

Women who won't take the shot even when being menaced by rapey men twice their size.

I'm watching this horrible pos Prisoners of the Lost Dimension but suddenly flashed back to Fury Road

I mean, I get that taking Immortan out that early would have been a shame as far as the movie goes but it would have been so simple.

Do you mean the history woman at the start? I think its kind of implied later, in one of the deleted scenes and/or the terrible comics, that she isn't really all that strong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of insane fighting styles, (again, love me some Dune) Irritating moment in generally pretty awesome (but dumb) action/sci-fi movie Equilibrium, the director and the choreographer couldn't agree on what Gun-kata was supposed to look like, apparently each one developed their own style and so the movie kinda mixes both. In the very beginning of the film we see a guy standing completely still with his arms flailing around shooting people like crazy, but then later in the film we see something much more like traditional kung-fu with guns thrown in.

I can forgive it though because both were loving awesome. (again, dumb)

syscall girl posted:

Who had a shot at Immortan? You mean when Furiosa was just driving she could have? Yeah I guess so. Or somebody else?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pilchenstein posted:

That would be the most adorable monster movie. :3:

My irrationally irritating Jurassic World moment is that the missus refuses to watch it because she saw Chris Pratt's raptor buddies in the trailer and is worried she'll be sad if they get eaten. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qNOIJNfICI

penguin attacks are funny until they happen to you!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lemon posted:

I thought he was only able to tell there was a missing picture due to the un-faded mark it left on the wallpaper or something, indicating that it had been hanging there quite a while beforehand.

Solid possibility! I thought it was just an empty spot.
But, in the story of Dorian Gray, Dorian has the picture done, then sells his soul, so it could still work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

LXG was baffling in how they couldn't get Dorian Gray right. Dorian dies when he looks at his painting, which until now was hanging in plain view in a hall in his house.

No he doesn't. At the end of the story he stabs the painting, and that's what kills him.

quote:

He went in quietly, locking the door behind him, as was his custom, and dragged the purple hanging from the portrait. A cry of pain and indignation broke from him. He could see no change, save that in the eyes there was a look of cunning and in the mouth the curved wrinkle of the hypocrite. The thing was still loathsome—more loathsome, if possible, than before—and the scarlet dew that spotted the hand seemed brighter, and more like blood newly spilled. Then he trembled. Had it been merely vanity that had made him do his one good deed? Or the desire for a new sensation, as Lord Henry had hinted, with his mocking laugh? Or that passion to act a part that sometimes makes us do things finer than we are ourselves? Or, perhaps, all these? And why was the red stain larger than it had been? It seemed to have crept like a horrible disease over the wrinkled fingers. There was blood on the painted feet, as though the thing had dripped—blood even on the hand that had not held the knife. Confess? Did it mean that he was to confess? To give himself up and be put to death? He laughed. He felt that the idea was monstrous. Besides, even if he did confess, who would believe him? There was no trace of the murdered man anywhere. Everything belonging to him had been destroyed. He himself had burned what had been below-stairs. The world would simply say that he was mad. They would shut him up if he persisted in his story.... Yet it was his duty to confess, to suffer public shame, and to make public atonement. There was a God who called upon men to tell their sins to earth as well as to heaven. Nothing that he could do would cleanse him till he had told his own sin. His sin? He shrugged his shoulders. The death of Basil Hallward seemed very little to him. He was thinking of Hetty Merton. For it was an unjust mirror, this mirror of his soul that he was looking at. Vanity? Curiosity? Hypocrisy? Had there been nothing more in his renunciation than that? There had been something more. At least he thought so. But who could tell? ... No. There had been nothing more. Through vanity he had spared her. In hypocrisy he had worn the mask of goodness. For curiosity's sake he had tried the denial of self. He recognized that now.

But this murder—was it to dog him all his life? Was he always to be burdened by his past? Was he really to confess? Never. There was only one bit of evidence left against him. The picture itself—that was evidence. He would destroy it. Why had he kept it so long? Once it had given him pleasure to watch it changing and growing old. Of late he had felt no such pleasure. It had kept him awake at night. When he had been away, he had been filled with terror lest other eyes should look upon it. It had brought melancholy across his passions. Its mere memory had marred many moments of joy. It had been like conscience to him. Yes, it had been conscience. He would destroy it.

He looked round and saw the knife that had stabbed Basil Hallward. He had cleaned it many times, till there was no stain left upon it. It was bright, and glistened. As it had killed the painter, so it would kill the painter's work, and all that that meant. It would kill the past, and when that was dead, he would be free. It would kill this monstrous soul-life, and without its hideous warnings, he would be at peace. He seized the thing, and stabbed the picture with it.

There was a cry heard, and a crash. The cry was so horrible in its agony that the frightened servants woke and crept out of their rooms. Two gentlemen, who were passing in the square below, stopped and looked up at the great house. They walked on till they met a policeman and brought him back. The man rang the bell several times, but there was no answer. Except for a light in one of the top windows, the house was all dark. After a time, he went away and stood in an adjoining portico and watched.

"Whose house is that, Constable?" asked the elder of the two gentlemen.

"Mr. Dorian Gray's, sir," answered the policeman.

They looked at each other, as they walked away, and sneered. One of them was Sir Henry Ashton's uncle.

Inside, in the servants' part of the house, the half-clad domestics were talking in low whispers to each other. Old Mrs. Leaf was crying and wringing her hands. Francis was as pale as death.

After about a quarter of an hour, he got the coachman and one of the footmen and crept upstairs. They knocked, but there was no reply. They called out. Everything was still. Finally, after vainly trying to force the door, they got on the roof and dropped down on to the balcony. The windows yielded easily—their bolts were old.

When they entered, they found hanging upon the wall a splendid portrait of their master as they had last seen him, in all the wonder of his exquisite youth and beauty. Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Do you mean the history woman at the start? I think its kind of implied later, in one of the deleted scenes and/or the terrible comics, that she isn't really all that strong.

Not strong enough to pull a trigger but strong enough to participate in the conspiracy to take the wives to freedom?

Seems odd.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tunicate posted:

No he doesn't. At the end of the story he stabs the painting, and that's what kills him.

Dorian dies by stabbing his own painting in the Oscar Wilde book. But in the LXG movie he just has to lay eyes on his painting in the climax which reduces him to dust. This same painting was in his possession on a wall in his own entrance hall. The film-makers hosed up the one thing people know about him, and never explain how he walked around his own house without disintegrating.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The looking part makes sense because it'd be a pain making him stab it himself I guess. The fact that it had clearly been hanging in his house a long time is dumb because they clearly couldn't come up with another way to prompt exposition on Dorian and his painting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It can't replicate metal. It doesn't have a need for it (fillings, leg and arm pins/plates, etc) so it just discharges it. Earrings would fall into that.

Huh...Now I'll have to watch it again. See if anyone's wearing a wristwatch or something. But I'm still puzzled. Can it replicate clothes and hats and poo poo? Wasn't one guy wearing glasses? Why did it keep those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Not strong enough to pull a trigger but strong enough to participate in the conspiracy to take the wives to freedom?

Seems odd.
Strong enough to go along with a plan as long as the beneficiaries are right there, but hesitating at the last minute when she's alone?