Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

If you're talking level packs, you can't go wrong with Memento Mori 1-2, since they were designed for coop. From what I understand (full playthroughs of both are still on my backlog), 2 has aged better than 1, but they're both still good. It's successor WAD, Requiem, is also pretty good. For something more modern, you could check out Back to Saturn X, Episodes 1 and 2, though those aren't specifically designed for coop.

Alternatively, if you don't mind 10+ hours of pain to get through 1 level, you could always dig up a copy of Chillax. :suicide:

So we gave multiplayer Memento Mori a go, trying UV on the listed stable build on Zandronum's web page. It worked okay, but we started noticing some odd stuff on MAP02. The lifts seemed kind of glitchy - like you'd step on and immediately appear at the top. And the blue key door couldn't be reopened after the first time - after awhile it just shut, and there was nothing that could be done about it. I tried restarting the server, but that didn't fix either issue.

I also checked for known compatibility issues for MM, but all I found was a note that it needs "find shortest textures like Doom" turned on for MAP29. Trying that in the compatibility flags didn't help, either.

Trying to figure it out, I played through the same map single-player in GZDoom. The same issue happened with the first lift, but the blue key door opened, rising into the ceiling, and stayed open. So there's obviously some sort of issue with Zandronum, I guess. Does this sort of thing result from a misconfigured server (and if so, how can I fix it?) or is it maybe just Zandronum? I know the stable version of Zandronum is years old in comparison to the GZDoom codebase, maybe it's worth upgrading to one of the 3.0 betas?

PS: The balance in multiplayer Doom with pickups seems weird. Like there's just not a lot of ammo going around. On UV with two of us, we were often running out and punching pinkies to death. Is this common and intended, or an issue with Memento Mori, or should I have turned on item respawns or something? MAP02 had two shotguns and one chaingun, which makes for an interesting balance. Talking to each other and going "okay you take that health kit, you need it more" is pretty great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think item respawn is intended to be enabled, in part because some maps spawn additional monsters on cooperative modes. The official Doom 2 maps throw a few extra Cyberdemons into the campaign if you're playing co-op.

That said, I've seen servers where they include an option WAD that disables health and armor respawning, but leaves the ammo and item respawning in place. That seems like it can be a fun compromise.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For anybody else who is currently playing through System Shock or will do so in the future - rotate your loving saves. I just saved about 100 milliseconds before some plastique explodes and kills me (the game gives you zero indication they are timed charges). Of course I haven't flipped the cyborg conversion switch on this level yet.
:ughh:

Fortunately I have one other save slot I've been using but it's at least 4 hours behind. :sigh:

For all the hand-holding and pampering that modern games do, at least they don't let you destroy your progress this easily.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The database has returned, and it is time for the news.

De_Dust, De_Nuke and De_Prodigy just hit their 16th birthday. Hooray! Please, don't give them the car keys.

A large update for Black Mesa has been dated for December. It adds new models for the Crossbow, Shotgun and Gluon Gun, user-customizable weapon bob and drag, and the usual tweaks and bugfixes.

The Night Dive Guy did an internet talkback radio interview thing that I'm pretty sure was recorded through a loving landline, so lemme give you the scoops:

Lack of GOG releases are due to them "being slammed by all the work we're doing" and having time to dedicate to porting Steamworks features over to their GOG Galaxy equivalents.

They've found the owner of the Capstone catalogue (Corridor 7, Witchaven, WILLIAM SHATNER'S TEKWAR) and are working on bringing 'em back "for preservation's sake"

Nothing has changed re: No One Lives Forever (they need to further increase their reputation, they believe) and Powerslave.

WWIIGI (lol) is coming to Steam via the Retroism partnership. Yes, they're aware NAM was arse.

System Shock 1 has been doing really well for them. That's nice!

Turok 1 is still under development. It's a merger of the PC and N64 versions that'll smooth out the issues in the original game while keeping the original flavor. It will have the fog, because it hid all the bits of the levels that the original developers didn't actually model. Shoutouts to Kaiser! It'll be out this holiday.

Turok 2 is still slated to be ported, but it's an entirely different engine and has multiplayer, so it'll be a lot of work. They're focusing on getting Turok 1 out right now.

There's "a pretty good possibility" of a version of Forsaken being done!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Turok 1 is still under development. It's a merger of the PC and N64 versions that'll smooth out the issues in the original game while keeping the original flavor. It will have the fog, because it hid all the bits of the levels that the original developers didn't actually model. Shoutouts to Kaiser! It'll be out this holiday.

Turok 2 is still slated to be ported, but it's an entirely different engine and has multiplayer, so it'll be a lot of work. They're focusing on getting Turok 1 out right now.

:swoon:

Someone get Night Dive a loving medal or ten.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really, really, really, REALLY hope SOMEONE gets the rights to Rocket Jockey. I need that game in my life again.

EDIT: Please, Night Dive... you're my only hope.

Excuse the framerate, but just look at this poo poo! Wonderful soundtrack by Dick Dale, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIWbfOkw34

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
gently caress yes Turok! :dance:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turok with proper controls is more than enough treat. I hope they can release it for christmas, I'll have plenty of time for it!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There are probably only three people excited by the prospect of finally playing Corridor 7 and Witchaven legally, and I'm one of them. There were source codes released some time ago for those games, maybe a nice Windows port will appear?
If only they could dug up some info about Fate, now that would be an axhievement.
And rest of the news are splendid as well. I'm really hoping for GOG release of Strife and Madspace.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, really, really, REALLY hope SOMEONE gets the rights to Rocket Jockey. I need that game in my life again.

Excuse the framerate, but just look at this poo poo! Wonderful soundtrack by Dick Dale, too.

holy hell this looks really cool. was there a racing mode in there too? it looks like it'd make an amazing racing game as well.

The Kins posted:

There's "a pretty good possibility" of a version of Forsaken being done!

AAAAAAAAAA That would be the best thing ever right there!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 5, 2015

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

This starts to leave the realm of FPS...but I also have some fun nostalgia for Rocket Jockey, and also for Outwars. Both games seem like they might be well served by a game mod that can adapt the concepts without having to port the lesser qualities of those games

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ytisomauq posted:

This starts to leave the realm of FPS...but I also have some fun nostalgia for Rocket Jockey, and also for Outwars. Both games seem like they might be well served by a game mod that can adapt the concepts without having to port the lesser qualities of those games

I'd be totally fine with a company making a spiritual sequel.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

The Kins posted:

I'd love a commandline flag or something to set the fog distance though. I want to see the horrible truth in all its shameful glory.

Nition fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 5, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nition posted:

I'd love a commandline flag or something for this though to reduce the fog. I want to see the horrible truth in all its shameful glory.

Didn't I hear that some of the level was loaded above the player?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yeah, I heard that too. Using vertical distance to separate different level parts loaded at once.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I recall hearing that too, and am definitely guilty of spreading it around, but I can't recall where I first heard it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

There are probably only three people excited by the prospect of finally playing Corridor 7 and Witchaven legally, and I'm one of them. There were source codes released some time ago for those games, maybe a nice Windows port will appear?

I have fond memories of Corridor 7, so I am definitely looking forward to that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regarding Corridor 7, I just want to randomly see that creepy face appear.

Hey, are the eyeballs in Reelism from C7?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

According to the latest Facebook post, Brutal Doom V20b (now with a full campaign) is effectively finished and just doing some final testing and bug-squashing. Release is as soon as the final notable glitches are worked out.

I hope Project Brutality updates before too long, too. I definitely prefer that version now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

According to the latest Facebook post, Brutal Doom V20b (now with a full campaign) is effectively finished and just doing some final testing and bug-squashing. Release is as soon as the final notable glitches are worked out.

I hope Project Brutality updates before too long, too. I definitely prefer that version now.

It's totally petty but since I've become hooked on texture brightmaps, that's basically the only other thing I wish PB had. You can obviously drag/drop preexisting bright maps and add some lines to get them working, but with the new creatures and weapons and animations, they're rendered inconsistently (no surprise). The level texture brightmaps still work for the most part, though.

Can't imagine how much work it would be to get them working for all of the new sprites though. God drat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

laserghost posted:

Corridor 7 should eventually be supported by ECWolf.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Regarding Corridor 7, I just want to randomly see that creepy face appear.

Hey, are the eyeballs in Reelism from C7?

There's a Corridor 7 TC for the Doomsday Engine that is quite weird and interesting*. The downside is that, so far, it seems like all the skull appearances are scripted and they changed the awesome mini gun firing sound :( I remember the Reelism drippy eyeballs from the first few levels of Corr7, along with that gross popping sound when you blast them. They were the eyebot enemies' little brother.

*Interesting as in, starts you in a room full of active land mines and expects you to get blown up once figuring that out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wild T posted:

There's a Corridor 7 TC for the Doomsday Engine that is quite weird and interesting*. The downside is that, so far, it seems like all the skull appearances are scripted and they changed the awesome mini gun firing sound :( I remember the Reelism drippy eyeballs from the first few levels of Corr7, along with that gross popping sound when you blast them. They were the eyebot enemies' little brother.

*Interesting as in, starts you in a room full of active land mines and expects you to get blown up once figuring that out.

(Edit: I'm an idiot and you said "skull appearances", not "skill". :negative:)

Wait, 'skill appearances'? What do you mean? Was there actual depth to Corridor 7?! :stare:

I've only ever played the shareware version, and bits and pieces of that. Corridor 7 has kind of been my go-to "joke" game when people discuss classic first person shooters.

If there's an actual good game there, then I guess my new "this game was horrible but I'll joke that it wasn't" will probably switch to Operation Bodycount.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can't imagine how much work it would be to get them working for all of the new sprites though. God drat.

Yeah, that'd be a job and a half. There's, what, at least five possible replacements for each enemy type? Lots of potentially glowy bits on them, especially the higher-tier ones, too.

I'm happy to settle for slightly weaker glowmaps in favour of everything else.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Cat Mattress posted:

Corridor 7 should eventually be supported by ECWolf.

This would be fantastic. I actually liked C7.

If there's an actual good game there, then I guess my new "this game was horrible but I'll joke that it wasn't" will probably switch to Operation Bodycount.

It was more or less just Wolfenstein 3D: Alien Edition with a cool palette, less keyhunting, and more screamers. Pretty repetitive and average for most people. Operation Bodycount definitely deserves that title instead, it's a much more lovely and mediocre game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the place to talk about UT4?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Well it's not like there's anywhere else to talk about it.

E: You know what game needs a sequel? Faceball 2000. that would be pretty fun.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 6, 2015

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7J6kgH5lEU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

(Edit: I'm an idiot and you said "skull appearances", not "skill". :negative:)

Wait, 'skill appearances'? What do you mean? Was there actual depth to Corridor 7?! :stare:

I've only ever played the shareware version, and bits and pieces of that. Corridor 7 has kind of been my go-to "joke" game when people discuss classic first person shooters.

I actually did say skill, I just managed to edit the typo out fast enough.

Corr7 wasn't great, but I enjoyed it. It tried some pretty cool stuff with the Wolf3D engine (proximity bombs, night vision, transparent glass walls, auto maps, alarms, etc). The CD version was much improved over the disk version since it had more levels, weapons and enemies. It's not Doom good, but it managed some cool twists in the Wolf formula without being Body Count.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, that was so good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
pro click :five:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSyUrSbh-Y

:allears: That last throw is just magical. What a perfect way to kill a dude.

E: Oh right, new pc, lost all my old IRC's. Terminus could you link the details here? Gonna need it when the time finally comes to write up Sun's part of the manual.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 6, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Hallelujah, another person who knows Rocket Jockey! I bought this game for like $10 in a Kay-Bee toy store and it blew my mind. I've always wished someone would at least rip this game off, since there's really nothing else like it and I've always wanted to try multiplayer (didn't have the means to do LAN stuff when I was 16).

I hear Rocket League is somewhat similar in spirit, but as far as I know you can't yank dudes off their ride and string 'em to a pole. Come on, get on this, somebody.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm completely amazed. I don't know how I didn't see this before holy poo poo :allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:hellyeah:

oh wait, not quite :v:

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

david_a posted:

pro click :five:

It's the best Van Damme movie, too :allears:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Just to be That Guy™, what is the source movie there?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mogomra posted:

Just to be That Guy™, what is the source movie there?

Hard Target. It's no TimeCop, but it is John Woo's first American movie, so that's something. Fairly watchable flick.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

david_a posted:

For anybody else who is currently playing through System Shock or will do so in the future - rotate your loving saves. I just saved about 100 milliseconds before some plastique explodes and kills me (the game gives you zero indication they are timed charges). Of course I haven't flipped the cyborg conversion switch on this level yet.
:ughh:

Fortunately I have one other save slot I've been using but it's at least 4 hours behind. :sigh:

For all the hand-holding and pampering that modern games do, at least they don't let you destroy your progress this easily.

Make yourself comfortable, david_a. Stay a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

So my old potato of a laptop finally died and I'm stuck with just my phone until I get paid. Anyone know of any good free ways to play classic games on Android, fps or otherwise? I miss Doom