Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Kefit posted:

Oh no, a couple of you guys made me decide that I want to kill some dragons, so I put in an app with BDA. Don't worry, I'll come crawling back once BDA rejects me for being too goony,

Unknown Guild has been great though. It's always nice to have goons to chill out with in guild chat. Any goons leveling up on p1999 should join up with Unknown Guild and talk about farts. And you should play on p1999, cause both Live and other emu servers are lifeless husks full of boxers. I know, cause I've tried them too.

I am a goon in BDA. I've been really busy recently so haven't logged in. But BDA is pretty good and accepting of goons, as their Dear Leader is pretty much as goony as you can be without :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If you're not already on/aware, there's a Halloween event going down on both servers. It's an NPC scavenger hunt in a bunch of different zones with clues leading from one to the next. Porting classes definitely have an advantage but you can hitch a ride pretty easy regardless.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

so much mad on the P99 forums right now

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Not going to lie, i was pretty mad when I spent 5 hours on the event and had all the quest items poof when i got to the final turn-in.

They also despawned the quest npc's when my group was doing the final turn in and half of us didn't get to complete it. That's with a bard, 2 porters and a rez.

GM's troll'd us hard.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 1, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Not going to lie, i was pretty mad when I spent 5 hours on the event and had all the quest items poof when i got to the final turn-in.

They also despawned the quest npc's when my group was doing the final turn in and half of us didn't get to complete it. That's with a bard, 2 porters and a rez.

GM's troll'd us hard.

this wouldn't happen on blue

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I guess its over already? :v:

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Anyone around on red that can port me from Qeynos area to Gfay? While the threat of PVP is a real concern I'm not sure how much longer I can stand the isolation. (char name Velras)

Edit: Managed to beg one off a Wizard camping Haden!
Edit2: Welp, when I got to CB it was empty

Summit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 2, 2015

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Pathos posted:

The guy who makes ZlizEqMap posts in this thread, right? Because if so, lower guk is totally hosed up on it. Like catastrophically so. Upper guk isn't perfect but lower is unusable. And mistmoore is also hosed up but not as badly.

Pilsner posted:

There are two possibilities for it; either the eqatlas maps (from http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/lowerguk.html ) are just not properly to scale, or perhaps I made a mistake in my calculations for the map scaling and boundaries. I have a level 50 Monk, but I don't really feel like going deep into Lower Guk, so I can't really test it myself. If someone just a tad technically inclined can look at the documentation (the numbers in the first lines of the gukbottom1.txt and gukbottom2.txt files) and see what's wrong, maybe it can be fixed. :)

Is both live side and dead side hosed up?

In the ZoneData\02Faydwer\mistmoore1 file, the second number is off a little. I think it is around 136 IIRC. Change it to around 210.

I just checked this at entrance. I don't know if it holds up throughout the map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Summit posted:

You know you're not on Blue when

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hi i am back i am scoobs on red be my firend

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Summit posted:

Anyone around on red that can port me from Qeynos area to Gfay? While the threat of PVP is a real concern I'm not sure how much longer I can stand the isolation. (char name Velras)

Edit: Managed to beg one off a Wizard camping Haden!

Join Thunderdome, it's like, the best guild to slide into red with. Tons of druids on there to port guildies for free to hook you up with groups.

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
I saw someone brought up PoP emulation a page ago and I thought I would remind people that The Alkabor Project (TAKP) is out there as well. http://www.takproject.net/ The server moves a bit slower content wise due to less database time and more mechanics being worked on. The devs have really done some amazing work and Torven has been spending an insane amount of effort to analyze mechanics. Kunark was just released and the population is around 50-150 primetime. This is the main eqemu project and is hosted at the same datacenter as P99, its not someones basement project.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

I Love You! posted:

Hi i am back i am scoobs on red be my firend

WB! I'll be back to regular playing in a week.

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right
Look, Goons, EQ was never meant to be a PVP game, but I'm going to try out red with you anyway...

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

Look, Goons, EQ was never meant to be a PVP game, but I'm going to try out red with you anyway...

I'm 0-25 or something this season on a decked out rogue because I could care less about pvp, and p99 red is still the best emu server.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Sketched posted:

I saw someone brought up PoP emulation a page ago and I thought I would remind people that The Alkabor Project (TAKP) is out there as well. http://www.takproject.net/ The server moves a bit slower content wise due to less database time and more mechanics being worked on. The devs have really done some amazing work and Torven has been spending an insane amount of effort to analyze mechanics. Kunark was just released and the population is around 50-150 primetime. This is the main eqemu project and is hosted at the same datacenter as P99, its not someones basement project.

Thanks for this! I am playing on p2002.com. Aka alkabor. And it doesnt feel like someones basement project. They have several devs working on stuff.

That being said. I will look into TAKP.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Yeah, I don't really PVP, except when Scoobs and Badtown are feeling froggy and I have to heal them. Red has xp boost and I cannot be bothered with normal leveling speeds.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The trick is to always pvp

Also play discord, everyone play discord, it's going to probably take till december to launch but w/e

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't wait for Discord, it's going to be beautiful.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Highly recommend starting with a caster like a Wizard, Necro, Enchanter or Druid. Melees are expensive to gear out and will probably not hurt anyone for a long time.

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Highly recommend starting with a caster like a Wizard, Necro, Enchanter or Druid. Melees are expensive to gear out and will probably not hurt anyone for a long time.

Cool, thanks~ I made a druid called Bubb, he's fat and dumb. :c00l:

Initial impressions: why am I getting tracked down and buffed so much?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Are you a stupid goon who is around lvl 15+? Come to unrest for a dumb group!

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Any loser nerds on red who are over level 46 and want to raid and turn this server into the blue server without welfare lines and ridiculous time commitments to get loot, apply to <TMO> at https://themysticalorder.net Start your journey of collecting stupid elf pixels and leeching raid exp from ToV/PoG & become an elf game legend! We also do classic and kunark content, kael/velks/etc, and we now have a Planes of Mischief call-of-the-hero bot. We raid at normal hours that won't leave you vitamin D deficient & welcome everyone from the brownest of tubesockers to the filthiest casuals. <SLAMDUNKATRON> is also welcome to join us for stuff if any of you guys ever want to see endgame content and get sweet gear to lord over Norrath's peasants but keep your guild tags :)

We are currently friendly to <Pandemonium> and KOS to the rest of the server. There are also some zones where we are friendly with <Empire> and <Prophets of Slosh> but in most of the world it's open game.

Any class is welcome, but the highest in demand are currently enchanter/cleric/rogue/paladin/shadowknight/bard and any port class (especially ones with OT hammers.) we have 0-1 active paladin/sk mains and almost no bards, which means you'll be showered in loot.

tonight alone we got all of this with a medium sized crew in just a few hours:
Unadorned Chain Coif
Unadorned Chain Bracer
Tattered Silk Boots
Unadorned Plate Greaves
Unadorned Leather Sleeves
Unadorned Chain Tunic
Unadorned Leather Cap
Tattered Silk Gloves
Unadorned Leather Tunic
Tattered Silk Robe
Unadorned Plate Bracer

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right
I dig this. Everybody is really nice and helpful so far. I suspect they really just want me to level up so they can kill me when I'm in range, but what's wrong with that, really?

The server really seems to be at its best when I'm in a group, which is rarely so far - but the druid is fine for farting around solo. I'm trying to convince other dumb non-PvPers to try it out.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Red is weird. You expect this big PVP fest going in but PVP is rare at the low levels. Everyone is more focused on getting out of the early levels and getting some real abilities/spells. Plus the group xp bonus is so good you get far more utility out of grouping than PKing a level 7 dude fighting an orc centurion. I don't know if this changes later on as I've yet to get out of the 20's.

Hit 14 on a Druid (seems like there's a lot of Druids) last night, still trying to get an invite to Thunderdome. They have a lot of members about but must be stingy handing out officer duties.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

I dig this. Everybody is really nice and helpful so far. I suspect they really just want me to level up so they can kill me when I'm in range, but what's wrong with that, really?

The server really seems to be at its best when I'm in a group, which is rarely so far - but the druid is fine for farting around solo. I'm trying to convince other dumb non-PvPers to try it out.

For fast leveling in groups on red:

CB until 14ish
Unrest from 12-22ish
Mistmoore from 19-32ish
City of Mist from 32-56ish

These are places that almost ALWAYS have tons of people grouping. There are other great xp zones, like Warrens, Crystal Caverns, etc but you will need to bring your own group and will not have anything to do often if no one is online.

Always let me know when you are logging on in case I can help with a powerlevel or level an alt with you.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
On Red I've leveled my Druid to 41 and my Monk to 40 and I have neither PKed another player nor been PKed by another player on either character. Like others have pointed out, the experience bonus on the server means other players around your level are much more likely to want to group with you than to kill you.

The most common exception to this are the dedicated PK characters, who tend to be ultra-twinked alts who tend to stay parked in particular high-traffic zones. The good news there is they are easy to avoid (stay out of Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmoore) or can be bypassed by one night of solid grouping in those zones (gaining 6 levels in 3 hours puts you right out of their PK range).

PK is part of the end-game certainly, and it's not going to be fun the day I hit 56, but by that point in time most classes can give as well as they can take, and to be honest a huge 6v6 battle in Karnor's Castle sounds like a pretty fun break from EQ monotony too.

Sidenote for Red: holy poo poo I need to invite people to SLAMDUNKATRON please /friend Buane and send me a tell. I can gate to CoM if you're one of the people I know that hang around there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Any loser nerds on red who are over level 46 and want to raid and turn this server into the blue server without welfare lines and ridiculous time commitments to get loot, apply to <TMO> at https://themysticalorder.net Start your journey of collecting stupid elf pixels and leeching raid exp from ToV/PoG & become an elf game legend! We also do classic and kunark content, kael/velks/etc, and we now have a Planes of Mischief call-of-the-hero bot. We raid at normal hours that won't leave you vitamin D deficient & welcome everyone from the brownest of tubesockers to the filthiest casuals. <SLAMDUNKATRON> is also welcome to join us for stuff if any of you guys ever want to see endgame content and get sweet gear to lord over Norrath's peasants but keep your guild tags :)

We are currently friendly to <Pandemonium> and KOS to the rest of the server. There are also some zones where we are friendly with <Empire> and <Prophets of Slosh> but in most of the world it's open game.

Any class is welcome, but the highest in demand are currently enchanter/cleric/rogue/paladin/shadowknight/bard and any port class (especially ones with OT hammers.) we have 0-1 active paladin/sk mains and almost no bards, which means you'll be showered in loot.

drat, this is kinda tempting. I only just got my druid up to group teleport levels on blue though and I don't feel like leveling druid again on red, but I also don't feel like playing without ports or playing a wizard. :cheeky: Is there an easy teleport service on Red like dial (or is dial on red?) or does the pvp environment gently caress that up?

I also kinda like SK but I'm usually too drunk to tank properly. Could play like a necro or enchanter I guess but I'd miss the ports.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^ well we have like 4 people who can teleport who are generally around, that's a start

Buane posted:

On Red I've leveled my Druid to 41 and my Monk to 40 and I have neither PKed another player nor been PKed by another player on either character. Like others have pointed out, the experience bonus on the server means other players around your level are much more likely to want to group with you than to kill you.

The most common exception to this are the dedicated PK characters, who tend to be ultra-twinked alts who tend to stay parked in particular high-traffic zones. The good news there is they are easy to avoid (stay out of Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmoore) or can be bypassed by one night of solid grouping in those zones (gaining 6 levels in 3 hours puts you right out of their PK range).

PK is part of the end-game certainly, and it's not going to be fun the day I hit 56, but by that point in time most classes can give as well as they can take, and to be honest a huge 6v6 battle in Karnor's Castle sounds like a pretty fun break from EQ monotony too.

Sidenote for Red: holy poo poo I need to invite people to SLAMDUNKATRON please /friend Buane and send me a tell. I can gate to CoM if you're one of the people I know that hang around there.

Why aren't you just parked in CoM anyway ahhhh

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
As a some time red player, now is great time to check it out if you've been thinking about it. The no-lifer types who had nothing to do for the last 2 years but delevel epic/VP geared alts for lowbie PK grief should be busy for at least a year or so with Velious pixels before they start deleveling ST/NTOV geared alts for lowbie PK grief.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
I have a 58 druid on red that I'm trying to get back into (Ainwein). Feel free to hit me up if you need anything.

I just joined TMO today. So sick of loving Friends/Empire.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

I Love You! posted:

Why aren't you just parked in CoM anyway ahhhh

I don't have a ton of group time so lately it's been a lot of camping pelts in Wakening Lands (made 7.5k!) or quadding dire wolves while multitasking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is there a tunnel market on Red? If so people would just roll through and murder everybody, right? So I'm guessing you're just vendoring everything?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, this is kinda tempting. I only just got my druid up to group teleport levels on blue though and I don't feel like leveling druid again on red, but I also don't feel like playing without ports or playing a wizard. :cheeky: Is there an easy teleport service on Red like dial (or is dial on red?) or does the pvp environment gently caress that up?

I also kinda like SK but I'm usually too drunk to tank properly. Could play like a necro or enchanter I guess but I'd miss the ports.

There isn't anything like dial-a-port, but global OOC makes it easy to find ports (off-peak can be a challenge) and if you're in a guild there's usually at least one or two people who aren't doing anything important who have a druid/wiz alt.

You progress very quickly on red, there isn't much at all to lose if you end up trying the server and liking it more. A lot of my friends abandoned characters with years of progress and millions of plat on blue to come to red and the overwhelming majority of them have stayed + not regretted it.

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I have a 58 druid on red that I'm trying to get back into (Ainwein). Feel free to hit me up if you need anything.

I just joined TMO today. So sick of loving Friends/Empire.

Hell yeah, broh! It's good to see some familiar faces from my earlier days on red!

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Group exp bonus is pretty wild, it's worth traveling/dealing with headaches for it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there a tunnel market on Red? If so people would just roll through and murder everybody, right? So I'm guessing you're just vendoring everything?
Trading mostly happens in NFP. Serverwide OOC makes it pretty easy to auction your stuff.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

apply to <TMO>
I think we're gonna do this! We have a bunch of mid 50's and most of them are desired classes, so it should work out nicely.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

I think we're gonna do this! We have a bunch of mid 50's and most of them are desired classes, so it should work out nicely.

Awesome! I can get you guys (or anyone) in on a raid sometime if you want to see what we're about before you apply if you want, too.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Awesome! I can get you guys (or anyone) in on a raid sometime if you want to see what we're about before you apply if you want, too.
Sounds good, I'll start the app tonight. Should I put 'anime' as the referral on it? We'll get you that sweet referral signing bonus. Free set of knives?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Sounds good, I'll start the app tonight. Should I put 'anime' as the referral on it? We'll get you that sweet referral signing bonus. Free set of knives?

Nah I don't get anything out of it, I'm mostly pushing recruitment because we're pretty close to starting to deck alts out in ntov gear and I don't like seeing stuff rot!

We're also low on magicians! We have a few consistent ones but they don't really need gear anymore. It's going to be a lot easier to get an epic pet soon when kunark dungeon revamps come out!!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Nah I don't get anything out of it, I'm mostly pushing recruitment because we're pretty close to starting to deck alts out in ntov gear and I don't like seeing stuff rot!

We're also low on magicians! We have a few consistent ones but they don't really need gear anymore. It's going to be a lot easier to get an epic pet soon when kunark dungeon revamps come out!!

This is really tempting as I love magicians but I hate making mod rods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Maed posted:

This is really tempting as I love magicians but I hate making mod rods.

the sad truth is, until you get an epic pet (still a lot of work, but soon to have a lot less roadblocks) you're a coth/modrod bitch. with faction in the right zones, magicians can do some crazy pulls too. for instance having an epiced factioned mage allows us to fight the chardok bosses at the zone-in, and do some sneaky things in kael.