Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Never not kill eagle driver sky gods. If you want to be a proper dick to them, hit them with a single R-60. Its tiny warhead is often not enough to kill an Eagle, but cripples them enough that they're not going to be doing anything else for a while.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Sauer posted:

Never not kill eagle driver sky gods.

It is my only purpose and calling in DCS.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 4, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Sauer posted:

Crushing an impotent enemy in two hours in new HIGH DEFINITION while flying a fat viper struggling to stay in the air isn't the most entertaining thing.

this is 90% of all campaigns in bms, let's be honest

the remaining 10% is having to fly for 2 hours every mission because every korean blue base got OCA'd in the first 15 minutes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

It is my only purpose and calling in DCS.

I love the way youtube recommends vids on your video.

Also, please never stop what you're doing.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The new Balkans Theater (sorta, Balkans in BMS are like the Balkans in real life, complicated and bloody) comes with some really nice weather maps for the dynamicish weather system 4.33 introduced that are more interesting than the flood fill with one type of weather maps BMS comes with. I stuffed them in a zip file you can use in your own campaigns. Just unzip them into <Falcon>Data\Campaign\Save and load them with the weather button in your campaign or TE.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Fail to notice the AAA I'm assigned to hit is moving. Meticulously plot out target steerpoints for my myself and wingman. Fly 250 miles to target area socked in with clouds. Drop 16 thousand pounds of expensive precision ordinance on empty fields. Catch the 1 wire :cripes:.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Is Balkans good/playable? I'd like to use it for my own games but all I remember is that when you tried to make it work for goon games it went so bad it made poor Vaha ragequit. Also something about being made solely for full player vs player campaigns and thus being bad for coop? Or was that another Balkans?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Can report that F18C carries 10 aimrams, 2 sidewinders, and a gas bag. Or replace radar missiles with JDAMs and have a good time. The cockpit looks less jank than the super hornet and it feels a lot better to fly.

Still can't get carriers to spawn right. I was flying through the ship models earlier this morning.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have yet to fly 4.33 with goons. We must do this at some point. VAHAKYLA!!!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sauer posted:

Fail to notice the AAA I'm assigned to hit is moving. Meticulously plot out target steerpoints for my myself and wingman. Fly 250 miles to target area socked in with clouds. Drop 16 thousand pounds of expensive precision ordinance on empty fields. Catch the 1 wire :cripes:.

usmilitary.txt

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Bolow posted:

It happened to me like 8 months ago :v:

I said gently caress it and bought a Warthog and sold the X55 I finally got to a goon for $150

you wont be disappointed

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

While I'm waiting on them to finally make a download link for BMS....

(chat was what made it worth it.)

https://youtu.be/MRh6o35diiU

hahahahaha that is a sweet kill. Never knew what hit him

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

While I'm waiting on them to finally make a download link for BMS....

(chat was what made it worth it.)

https://youtu.be/MRh6o35diiU

Elo: Wait what.
Elo: What got me?

Beautiful.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sauer posted:

What's the significance of catching the 1st wire instead of the third?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Best practice in carrier landings is to aim for the 3rd of four wires. From what I've read, the first is just very close to the edge of the deck, and so you're dangerously close to slamming into the back of the ship.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
More skulls for the skull throne....

ALMOST HAD A 2 FOR ONE SPECIAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BUFitZVQs

Also, check the great evasion tactics. This idiot was flying formation and didn't even budge after his wingman exploded. I had to check to make sure he wasn't AI.

And they still don't learn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OgcFwI3bs

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
LOL I love F-15 Skylords that fly with contrails. It's like a giant 'Shoot Here!' sign.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
In 4.33, make sure you change your laser from "target" to "combat" :colbert:

Missed a lot of sheds tonight...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wait what? Could this explain why I couldnt hit poo poo with LGBs when I tried it last week?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

Wait what? Could this explain why I couldnt hit poo poo with LGBs when I tried it last week?

Yeah, there's a "more" page on the DED with a laser section. You now have to change it from "TRNG" (or something) to "CMBT." I had to look it up in the manual myself. Who knew :iiam:

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 5, 2015

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

There has to be DTC setting for that buried somewhere. That's a bad default for a game.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
To all Goons playing 4.33:

Have they fixed the SAM logic in this version?

Falcon 4.0 actually had some really clever AI routines that simulated an integrated air defense system (IADS) quite well. The SAM sites were all linked, so they would blink on and off at coordinated times to confuse you, set up ambushes, and use buddy launching to catch you out.

All of those features are broken in BMS, and I didn't see anything in the promo vid about it. :(

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Golly, Russia joining the war huh

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Crescendo posted:

To all Goons playing 4.33:

Have they fixed the SAM logic in this version?

Falcon 4.0 actually had some really clever AI routines that simulated an integrated air defense system (IADS) quite well. The SAM sites were all linked, so they would blink on and off at coordinated times to confuse you, set up ambushes, and use buddy launching to catch you out.

All of those features are broken in BMS, and I didn't see anything in the promo vid about it. :(

They fixed quite a few things with regards to SAM guidance that they say should make sites more aggressive. But there was nothing about IADs specifically.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

It was my understanding that IADS features were part of the change set... I'm definitely getting rocked by random missiles, as well as led into traps by what seem like radar ghosts reported by AWACS.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

All I can say is that I have gotten a single F16 back to base yet.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
Since the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is on sale on GOG I've ducked out of learning ZE BLINKENLICHTEN of BMS to buy it.
It looks like there is a huge amount of mods for it, any recommendations (the IL-2 thread is a couple of years out of date)?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

We actively avoided mods, but used the Lowengren dynamic campaign generator which is pretty good.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I recommend the mod Falcon BMS 4.33

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The big mod pack for 1946 was and I think still is HSFX but now that 6DOF and moving dogfight server are both in the base game I don't know what HSFX offers except a hundred different 109 and 190 variants and maybe a sound mod and carrier catapults?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

:siren:BMS Training Session:siren:
Tonight @ 18:30 PST

I will be hosting a tactical engagement near KOTAR Training Range. F-16C-52 only.
  • Practice your A-A targeting skills by shooting down MIGs to the north.
  • Practice your A-G skills at KOTAR.
  • Get help with your EWS and other DTC options (use Weapon Delivery Planner)
  • Enable the secret JDAM DED page for extra fun! (Falcon Launcher -> Avionics Configurator -> F16C Blk 52 PW229 -> JDAM avionics mode -> Pre-planned STPTs on ICP profile, ripple to multiple pre-planned)

concise fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 6, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

IceLicker posted:

Yeah, there's a "more" page on the DED with a laser section. You now have to change it from "TRNG" (or something) to "CMBT." I had to look it up in the manual myself. Who knew :iiam:

yea TRNG is training mode. lets you use all the features of the avionics but never actually fires the laser,

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Wouldn't want to accidentally burn out the retinas of any starving norkie conscripts. We'd be doing them a favour by blinding them so they're no longer forced to view the crushing poverty and despair of the country but the liberal media might disagree.

So what is the purpose of the laser arm switch now?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Did HARM behavior change in BMS 4.33? I started up a new campaign, block 40 squadron.

ATO created a DEAD mission against an SA-2 site near the DMZ. Default loadout was the new small GBUs. I switched to HARM and added HTS. Powered on the AGM-88, master arm on, selected a flashing red target on the HTS, held down the launch button, and... nothing. I know that I was holding down the correct pickle button; the SMS gives an indication when you hold it down.
Are block 40 aircraft not capable of launching HARMs?

SA-2 waited until I was right over it before emitting, and fired off a missile at me within seconds of going active. That would never have happened in 4.32. So the air defense modeling does seem to be a bit better than before.

abelian fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 5, 2015

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sauer posted:

Wouldn't want to accidentally burn out the retinas of any starving norkie conscripts. We'd be doing them a favour by blinding them so they're no longer forced to view the crushing poverty and despair of the country but the liberal media might disagree.

So what is the purpose of the laser arm switch now?

I thought Laser Arm was basically the power button?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Laser Arm is still required to fire the laser.

In Training mode for the laser does fire, just at a much lower eye-safe power level/frequency. But it's not enough to actually guide bombs with/burn our enemies retinas.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

Yeah I do. Its tailored specifically to my tastes and is entirely F-16 centric though.

The italics are hard to see in that image, but anything in Italics is shift-switched. Hold the pinky switch down for more than 0.5 seconds.

Sauer v2.key: Pretty sure this is the one that has the stick as Game Controller #1 and the throttle as #2.
Sauer.key: And this is if your Throttle is Game Controller #1 like mine is for some reason.

Noticed a few things with the v2 key so far that I have questions about

Your range knob is on the stick and radar altitude is the China hat, this on purpose? It seems most people do the opposite.
Your Mic switch seems to be rotated clockwise 90 degress. UHF is supposed to be up, VHF down and IFF forward and back. Again, is this personal preference?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

EvilJoven posted:

Noticed a few things with the v2 key so far that I have questions about

Your range knob is on the stick and radar altitude is the China hat, this on purpose? It seems most people do the opposite.
Your Mic switch seems to be rotated clockwise 90 degress. UHF is supposed to be up, VHF down and IFF forward and back. Again, is this personal preference?

The range knob controls the zoom on the TGP. I prefer to have that as an analog control. I've never needed fine control on the radar elevation. I use the comms switches a lot more than the datalink switches and I find that setup more comfortable.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do you swap these? I tried both methods I think *should* work (swapping the callback names and stuff in the quotes and leaving that stuff there and swapping the stuff in between) and both those things gently caress up the profile.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Swap around the joystick buttons. Its the numbers in the second column.

pre:
SimTransmitCom1 35 -1 -2 0 0X0 0 "SimTransmitCom1"
SimTransmitCom2 37 -1 -2 0 0X0 0 "SimTransmitCom2"
SimCommsSwitchRight 36 -1 -2 0 0X0 0 "SimCommsSwitchRight"
SimCommsSwitchLeft 34 -1 -2 0 0X0 0 "SimCommsSwitchLeft"
If you want to know which button is which on your controller, open up the windows game controllers settings, double click on your throttle and start pressing buttons. The game controllers windows starts counting from one but DirectX counts from zero, so subtract one from the number in the settings window. DirectX only tracks 32 buttons and your throttle is the second device so add 32 to whatever button you get. Pressing in the Comm switch on the hog's throttle is button #2 in that window for example so: 2 - 1 + 32 = 33. In the keyfile if you wanted to assign a callback to that button it would be 33.

There's a manual in the Docs folder telling you how all this works.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 6, 2015