Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh. I guess the unibody kind that's built good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally got my 4K XPS 15 today.

First impressions are good. It feels solidly built, the touchpad is responsive and has a good click (a huge upgrade from my lovely old Lenovo), and the screen is gorgeous. Haven't tried anything really intensive yet, only game I've so far is Civ 5, which runs fine at 4K. However it turns out the UI does not scale that high so its basically unplayable because it's so tiny :(

Battery life does not seem to be anywhere close to Dell's claims though. Estimate keeps fluctuating but it looks like I'll get somewhere between five and seven hours of average use at 30-50% brightness, nowhere near the ten they claim with the 84WH battery...

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 4, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The claims are usually based on browsing only.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Finally got my 4K XPS 15 today.

First impressions are good. It feels solidly built, the touchpad is responsive and has a good click (a huge upgrade from my lovely old Lenovo), and the screen is gorgeous. Haven't tried anything really intensive yet, only game I've so far is Civ 5, which runs fine at 4K. However it turns out the UI does not scale that high so its basically unplayable because it's so tiny :(

Battery life does not seem to be anywhere close to Dell's claims though. Estimate keeps fluctuating but it looks like I'll get somewhere between five and seven hours of average use at 30-50% brightness, nowhere near the ten they claim with the 84WH battery...

Can you do this weird test for me? Can you upon the lid with one finger and see if you can, or if the whole computer moves around?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Can you do this weird test for me? Can you upon the lid with one finger and see if you can, or if the whole computer moves around?

It kind of partially opens a couple inches but you can't fold out the screen with one finger, no.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It kind of partially opens a couple inches but you can't fold out the screen with one finger, no.

Can..... Can you try it with your penis?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Thanks for checking!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Does the lid have some sort of magnetic retention like a mbp?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

My significant other loves the HP Stream 11, its perfect for her needs - ms office, facebook, web browsing, netflix etc. Unfortunately she is pretty clumsy and has bricked 2 of them due to water damage in 3 months.
With a budget of $800 or less, is it possible to get anything with any sort of ingress protection? Should I be looking at waterproof covers, or is there really no other option than "don't put liquids on the computer"?

(Used) ThinkPad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0U5n2WaMMHo#t=38

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I spilled a pint glass of beer on my x230 last week! So I just ran it under the sink to rinse it off. Works like a charm, no beer smell. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I think you can get a T430 these days for under $300 refurbished on ebay. Your wife has lost "new laptop privileges" for the foreseeable future.

Also while you're on ebay, buy her one of these no spill mugs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Set-Of-2-No-Spill-Travel-Mugs-Coffee-Cup-Non-Slip-Bottom-Ceramic-Pottery-/381453394069

Growing up we used them on the sailboat all the drat time and it's nearly impossible to spill anything, even when the boat is canted over at 45 degrees.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 4, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Unfortunately the SP4 is a total lemon due to battery issues. Microsoft still can't get its poo poo together with these devices.

Putting the device to sleep causes massive battery drain, as in up to 50% in one hour, forcing you to have to hibernate the machine or shut down completely if you don't want your device to turn into a nuclear radiator in your bag

Next, overall battery life is only half of what is advertised and not even close to the 6 hours most review websites were able to get out of it during testing. Even after going through multiple website to figure out how to tweak win10 to improve battery average life after running the battery report is 4 hours and 45 minutes.

What a joke. Time to turn this thing in and get a refund.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

I also saw the XPS13. I really like the matte finish, but its also $799 which is a bit more than I'd want to pay (the screen is really nice though). Is there anything similar to size/feel of the XPS13 but older? The 2014 version doesn't seem to have a SD card, and has had problems with wake/sleep (that seems like a dealbreaker when I'm on vacation)?

Obviously I'm asking for everything except for "gaming" so maybe my demands aren't possible in a device under ~$500? I don't really need it immediately and can wait a couple of weeks to look at BF deals.

My 2014 has an SD card slot

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
I'm looking to purchase my first laptop.

Are the choices in the first post still valid? I'm looking for one that I can play casual games.
The price range would be around $1200.

So should I be looking at the Dell XPS series and the Lenovo Y50?

This is a bit higher than my price range but is the msi gs40 recommended?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

G-III posted:

Unfortunately the SP4 is a total lemon due to battery issues. Microsoft still can't get its poo poo together with these devices.

Putting the device to sleep causes massive battery drain, as in up to 50% in one hour, forcing you to have to hibernate the machine or shut down completely if you don't want your device to turn into a nuclear radiator in your bag

Next, overall battery life is only half of what is advertised and not even close to the 6 hours most review websites were able to get out of it during testing. Even after going through multiple website to figure out how to tweak win10 to improve battery average life after running the battery report is 4 hours and 45 minutes.

Is the battery life any better on the Core m ones? Are core ms better performance per watt, or just lower TDP?

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011

G-III posted:

Having similar issues with my Surface Book, only getting half the advertised battery life. Went into a Microsoft Store today and the clerks said that Microsoft knows about it and are putting out an update "soon" to fix it, but they offered me an exchange anyway if I wanted to. I decided to wait for this magical update anyway since there's already a lot I installed on this computer already, but if it doesn't come soon or doesn't actually fix anything I'm gonna feel very burned.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The reviews all say the Surfacebook meets or exceed battery life claims. So you're just a heavier user than what Microsoft thinks is average use.

As for the store clerk I'm pretty sure this applies to anyone that posts on this forum

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Aladdin posted:

Having similar issues with my Surface Book, only getting half the advertised battery life. Went into a Microsoft Store today and the clerks said that Microsoft knows about it and are putting out an update "soon" to fix it, but they offered me an exchange anyway if I wanted to. I decided to wait for this magical update anyway since there's already a lot I installed on this computer already, but if it doesn't come soon or doesn't actually fix anything I'm gonna feel very burned.

Apparently the latest firmware update + insider build fixes just about all issues? I'm not sure, I'm not on it. But I did hear that you can fix the sleep battery issue by updating the battery drivers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you guys have Cortana off?

Microsoft is stupid, so Cortana despite being a flagship feature can be a huge battery drain.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Grimson posted:

My 2014 has an SD card slot
It doesn't seem to... This article says no. http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/128174-dell-xps-13-review-2014 and this video says no, and shows the sides https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgcwepqzTRc.

I even went to back 2013s and they list it as not having a sd card reader either...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is no 2014 xps 13. There is an older one from 2013 which does not have the SD slot, and then there was a refresh in early 2015 that does have the SD slot.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Aladdin posted:

So here's what I figured out. And this is hilarious. Go to device manager and look up your batteries drivers: mine were dated to 2006! This device actually shipped with 9 year old drivers. I updated the battery drives via device manager as well as running the 11/2 firmware update available via windows update. So far better battery just by calculated remaining time but of course that's always been unreliable. I'll be doing a full test of today's use and run another battery report from the command console. IF this improves I'll keep it, if not, it's going back for a refund.

I should have known that a company that literally fired all its testers+tech writers and told devs to "design quality" into their code couldn't actually get this poo poo right on the hardware side either.

Aphrodite posted:

Do you guys have Cortana off?

Microsoft is stupid, so Cortana despite being a flagship feature can be a huge battery drain.
I turned cortana off the day I got this machine on Oct 26th. Cortana is useless for a desktop environment and is pretty much an always on spyware battery vampire. I have no idea why anyone would actively want to use cortana with respect to their daily computing.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 4, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sandisk does make a tiny USB 3.0 flash drive nub (I hesitate to call it a 'thumb drive') that's about on par with a fast rotational hard drive or a slow first gen SSD for less than $30. I have like... three now, two 16GB and one 64GB. I think the 64GB model is and the 16GB is. And they ship amazon prime. They offer a 128GB model as well. I guess they're calling then "Ultra Fit" drives now.

I've been using them on my laptops mostly to install linux and windows distros but they're fast enough to be used as an auxiliary hard drive for most desktop tasks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 4, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Nice referral links.

Whore.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's a solid product, crazy cheap, and avoids SD card slot issues, so, no regrets. Neweggg probably sells them as well if you want to go that route.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Sandisk does make a tiny USB 3.0 flash drive nub (I hesitate to call it a 'thumb drive') that's about on par with a fast rotational hard drive or a slow first gen SSD for less than $30. I have like... three now, two 16GB and one 64GB. I think the 64GB model is $23 and the 16GB is $9. And they ship amazon prime. They offer a 128GB model as well. I guess they're calling then "Ultra Fit" drives now.

I've been using them on my laptops mostly to install linux and windows distros but they're fast enough to be used as an auxiliary hard drive for most desktop tasks.

I have a 64GB and 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit, looks almost the same with a little different end cap on it. Great for USB ports in the car or laptops. but the 16GB is very, very, very slow.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Hadlock posted:

Sandisk does make a tiny USB 3.0 flash drive nub (I hesitate to call it a 'thumb drive') that's about on par with a fast rotational hard drive or a slow first gen SSD for less than $30. I have like... three now, two 16GB and one 64GB. I think the 64GB model is $23 and the 16GB is $9. And they ship amazon prime. They offer a 128GB model as well. I guess they're calling then "Ultra Fit" drives now.

I dropped a 30gb of music onto on of these and plugged it into my car's headunit usb and it works great. I also use on for my chromebook.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mu Zeta posted:

The reviews all say the Surfacebook meets or exceed battery life claims. So you're just a heavier user than what Microsoft thinks is average use.

Or more likely Windows battery life is just wildly variable

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hadlock posted:

That's one way to save $200 to double the storage in the Surface Book. (Only when connected to the keyboard, I'd assume.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Silly Burrito posted:

That's one way to save $200 to double the storage in the Surface Book. (Only when connected to the keyboard, I'd assume.)

The usb ports are in the base on the SB, so yeah. Only when docked. Same for SD. The clipboard only has dock connection and headphone. No USB is part of how they got it thinner than the SP4.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Just got my XPS13 in today. This thing is amazing, and the QHD display is really pretty. I pretty surprised with how little bloatware came on the laptop. I guess some OEMs are starting to get the picture?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but here goes:

Surface owners, let me know if this workflow is possible.

Take a picture of a document using office lens app -> save to OneNote -> OCR through OneNote -> copy and paste text to a sub page -> draw circles and poo poo on the imported document itself, if necessary

This would be super helpful for school work if it can be this seamless.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Butt Savage posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but here goes:

Surface owners, let me know if this workflow is possible.

Take a picture of a document using office lens app -> save to OneNote -> OCR through OneNote -> copy and paste text to a sub page -> draw circles and poo poo on the imported document itself, if necessary

This would be super helpful for school work if it can be this seamless.
Using the desktop version of OneNote, I just now did "copy text from picture" on a business card and it grabbed the text that was printed perfectly, the hand-written phone number it mostly got. And yeah, you can draw in OneNote on anything. This is on an SP3.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

bigmandan posted:

Just got my XPS13 in today. This thing is amazing, and the QHD display is really pretty. I pretty surprised with how little bloatware came on the laptop. I guess some OEMs are starting to get the picture?

I think Microsoft and some other manufacturers have a "Signature Series" which installs less bloat. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Signature-Edition-Computers/categoryID.69916600

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a new laptop to do video editing, and the XPS 15 w/ 4K screen has caught my attention. Has anyone gotten their hands on one, or is it stuck in shipping hell like was mentioned in the past couple pages?

Online reviews look neato.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Using the desktop version of OneNote, I just now did "copy text from picture" on a business card and it grabbed the text that was printed perfectly, the hand-written phone number it mostly got. And yeah, you can draw in OneNote on anything. This is on an SP3.

Man, I just got my first MacBook about two years ago and while I love it, from a pure productivity and flexibility standpoint, the Surface line is looking more and more appealing. Granted, I'm gonna be keeping my Mac for at least another year or two, but when the time comes to choose its replacement, it's not gonna be easy. Thanks!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

G-III posted:

So here's what I figured out. And this is hilarious. Go to device manager and look up your batteries drivers: mine were dated to 2006! This device actually shipped with 9 year old drivers. I updated the battery drives via device manager as well as running the 11/2 firmware update available via windows update. So far better battery just by calculated remaining time but of course that's always been unreliable. I'll be doing a full test of today's use and run another battery report from the command console. IF this improves I'll keep it, if not, it's going back for a refund.

This makes me think - when my i7 SP4 arrives, will it make sense to right away do a clean reinstall of win 10? To clear up little issues like this? Or is that more just a waste of my time.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

blowfish posted:

If your ideal laptop has a desktop processor, get a desktop and a sane laptop for the same price instead. Apart from that, they should be similar clock-for-clock within each generation save for thermal throttling in badly cooled laptops.

I usually use emulators like dolphin and pcsx2 which are processor heavy and I just was wondering if I would be hamstringing myself with the 6820hk compared to it's desktop cousin in this kind of application.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

P.N.T.M. posted:

I'm looking for a new laptop to do video editing, and the XPS 15 w/ 4K screen has caught my attention. Has anyone gotten their hands on one, or is it stuck in shipping hell like was mentioned in the past couple pages?

Online reviews look neato.

I've had one for a couple days. What do you want to know?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've had one for a couple days. What do you want to know?

Are you able do some gaming on high settings @ 1080p? More specifically games like DOTA, LoL, CS:GO TF2, SC2, Hearthstone? I don't have any high end games, but I'm wondering how it'll hold up with older games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Are you able do some gaming on high settings @ 1080p? More specifically games like DOTA, LoL, CS:GO TF2, SC2, Hearthstone? I don't have any high end games, but I'm wondering how it'll hold up with older games.

Haven't tried any of those yet. War Thunder seems to run fine on high at 1080P, and that can be decently graphically intensive. The 960m is an overall okay card.

It's 4K gaming where it struggles. HOTS I can run at 1080P with the graphical bells and whistles no problem, but it's laggy at 4K above medium.