Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Love it. Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
On the topic of surprisingly awesome entrance themes wasted on goobers, I give you Maven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqZROjkxGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3VjU4PaP7g

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Maven was in the WWE for 4 years!?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Archives are down so I can't just go look, but was the reaction to this entire segment as amazing as I imagine it to be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPtQpFTMb4

Goddamn watching through the Shield's story is fun.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Who was the identity of the guy in Japanese style garb who ran in a hardcore match (Bart Gunn/Holly) on Raw back in 1998? I think it was a repackaged Dr. Death but I seem to remember it being a one shot thing never to be mentioned again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

Archives are down so I can't just go look, but was the reaction to this entire segment as amazing as I imagine it to be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPtQpFTMb4

Goddamn watching through the Shield's story is fun.

I absolutely love that Lesnar nonverbally says "Stay in the corner Paul, I gotta do this for your own good."

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I guess its has like those 3 notes the same but i just dont hear it.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I was a wrestling fan off and on for the 90's until about 2001 or so. But I didn't pay attention to any internet scuttlebutt or anything, until 2007. I was watching the BBC Documentary about the Kliq, and it was kind of weird.

Why Is HHH a big deal, other than the obvious, is married to Steph Mcmahon? When I was younger, I didn't think he was that big of a deal and I hated him on my TV, I didn't want to watch him because he was a boring jerk.

When I was younger, I thought Degeneration X was just a knock off of NWO, I pretty much dismissed them as a juvenile petty cash in. But the Kliq documentary seems to whitewash it as the NWO was a neat experiment by two dudes who wanted to be in the big leagues, but DEGENERATION-X changed the face of Wrestling forever!

Is Shawn Michaels ever not a shithead?

Is this all because any wrestling tapes come out of WWE's library these days?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Team_q posted:

Why Is HHH a big deal, other than the obvious, is married to Steph Mcmahon? When I was younger, I didn't think he was that big of a deal and I hated him on my TV, I didn't want to watch him because he was a boring jerk.

He's a great wrestler and talker, and a better politician. He had/has the talent to be a top dog, but he definitely found a way to guarantee it, too.

Team_q posted:

When I was younger, I thought Degeneration X was just a knock off of NWO, I pretty much dismissed them as a juvenile petty cash in. But the Kliq documentary seems to whitewash it as the NWO was a neat experiment by two dudes who wanted to be in the big leagues, but DEGENERATION-X changed the face of Wrestling forever!

DX meant comparably very little in comparison to the NWO, but WWE will push the mythology.

Team_q posted:

Is Shawn Michaels ever not a shithead?

He found religion and by all accounts mellowed out dramatically. He didn't own up to what a shithead he was, but he mostly stopped being a shithead by the time he came back in 2002.

Team_q posted:

Is this all because any wrestling tapes come out of WWE's library these days?

Essentially, yeah.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i was very confused when i first got the network and was watching a bunch of the shows about the Monday Night Wars and DX was talked about as some sort of either turning point or behemoth to go alongside SCSA/Rock/et al. In my memory they were funny childish assholes (which i loved, being 13), but it wasn't like their feud with the Nation made me give up on watching WCW (who was fine accomplishing that by themselves). the heavy handedness at which the wwe frames everything they did during the late 90s is hilarious

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tweak posted:

i was very confused when i first got the network and was watching a bunch of the shows about the Monday Night Wars and DX was talked about as some sort of either turning point or behemoth to go alongside SCSA/Rock/et al. In my memory they were funny childish assholes (which i loved, being 13), but it wasn't like their feud with the Nation made me give up on watching WCW (who was fine accomplishing that by themselves). the heavy handedness at which the wwe frames everything they did during the late 90s is hilarious

Literally every episode of Monday Night War declares the topic of that episode to be the turning point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shawn michaels is definitely still a huge dick but who cares he's shawn michaels

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My favorite Shawn Michaels story is the one from Bryan's book where he's "retired" due to his bad back, training people at his school. He's trying to teach bumping off a backdrop and they just aren't getting it. He decides to demonstrate and takes the bump himself. Immediately his mom yells from the next room MICHAEL SHAWN HICKENBOTTOM WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T DO THAT and he's just like :saddowns:

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

He found religion and by all accounts mellowed out dramatically. He didn't own up to what a shithead he was, but he mostly stopped being a shithead by the time he came back in 2002.

I've hated Shawn Michaels since he turned on Marty. But the Kliq Documentary, Hall Nash and Xpac's sentiment was (paraphrasing) "We were dicks and we looked out for each other" and Shawn was "Everyone else could do what we do, but they are all pussies".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tweak posted:

I thought DX were the coolest thing in the world from 99-2000 but I'd only started watching wwe around that time and had never watched wcw. I also loved kid rock and Eminem during that time period so I'm sure that was related. But even when I came back to watching and was still a huge mark after wm20 I was able to tell that nwos place in wrestling history was way more significant than DXs, which was probably 4th or 5th place at best in terms of wrestlers who contributed to wwe's popularity during the attitude era

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
History is written by the winners, and since WWE won and HHH is married into the McMahon family, DX is now this big deal that eclipsed the nWo and WCW was destroyed when DX drove the DX TANK over Ted Turner's corpse (justified as Turner was literally stealing food from the McMahon family's collective mouths)

See also: Whenever WWE got a WCW or ECW guy like Jericho or the Dudleys, it was an "acquisition", but when WCW got a WWE or ECW guy like Hall and Nash or Mike Awesome it was theft.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 5, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mercury Crusader posted:

History is written by the winners, and since WWE won and HHH is married into the McMahon family, DX is now this big deal that eclipsed the nWo and WCW was destroyed when DX drove the DX TANK over Ted Turner's corpse (justified as Turner was literally stealing food from the McMahon family's collective mouths)

See also: Whenever WWE got a WCW or ECW guy like Jericho or the Dudleys, it was an "acquisition", but when WCW got a WWE or ECW guy like Hall and Nash or Mike Awesome it was theft.

I think Paul Heyman will tell you WWF stole Taz and the Dudley Boys

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Team_q posted:

I was watching the BBC Documentary about the Kliq, and it was kind of weird.

What is this?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

Who was the identity of the guy in Japanese style garb who ran in a hardcore match (Bart Gunn/Holly) on Raw back in 1998? I think it was a repackaged Dr. Death but I seem to remember it being a one shot thing never to be mentioned again.

I found this - http://officialfan.proboards.com/thread/272028

The youtube link is deadk, but they are saying it is Williams.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Smoking Crow posted:

I think Paul Heyman will tell you WWF stole Taz and the Dudley Boys

In the Heyman doc (which is a great watch) he more or less said WWF poached his entire roster on a consistent basis and eventually there's nothing he could do about it. I think he still harbors some resentment even though they've kept him with a steady job for years. They ruined his baby.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mercury Crusader posted:

WCW tried to put the WWF out of business!!!!

That isn't what professional wrestling is all about, can't we all just get along?

I'm actually reading The Death of WCW again, and I forgot that early on Vince wrote a series of letters making fun of Ted Turner and WCW and telling Ted to just shut it all down, he's embarrassing himself.

But Ted was a big meanie, competing with WWF like that!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I found this - http://officialfan.proboards.com/thread/272028

The youtube link is deadk, but they are saying it is Williams.

https://youtu.be/ixp0gBG8D80?t=115

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So what are some instances where WWE had to rethink their main event plans in a hurry due to an injury or something and pulled it off well, possibly even better than what the original plan would've been? Really curious to see what they come up with now that Seth is dead.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

In the Heyman doc (which is a great watch) he more or less said WWF poached his entire roster on a consistent basis and eventually there's nothing he could do about it. I think he still harbors some resentment even though they've kept him with a steady job for years. They ruined his baby.

His baby was losing money constantly and he literally wasn't paying wrestlers for a lot of it, it's such a goofy grudge to hold cause he really has no one to blame but himself for wrestlers leaving

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

So what are some instances where WWE had to rethink their main event plans in a hurry due to an injury or something and pulled it off well, possibly even better than what the original plan would've been? Really curious to see what they come up with now that Seth is dead.

Austin getting his neck broken

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cena being murdered by Brock

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Not an injury, but the WM30 main event comes to mind.

edit: I guess Bryan going over Cena at SummerSlam '13 counts too.

Metroid Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 6, 2015

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Team_q posted:

He was the Plan C wrestler whom WWE didn't really have much of a choice to do something with after Austin went out with a neck injury and Rock went off to Hollywood. Horrible promo, decent worker but he wasn't on the level of guys like Jericho/Angle/Benoit/Austin/etc. IMO, because I've never really seen him carry a match.

The reason why he is a 'big deal' is because of who he is married to. That allows him to protect the gently caress out of himself and step out and poo poo on other people, making him look good in the process (see also: the horrible CM Punk/Kevin Nash/Triple H debacle from a few years ago.) The other big reason why he is a big deal is because he had 1 good year, where he benefited greatly from a number of people putting him over hardcore (notably Foley.) He's also the only Attitude Era star that is still a part of the company on a consistent basis. Most everyone else is retired or has gone on to other careers or are part timers.

And yeah, he got a Jesus pop when he returned from injury, but that was in a day and age when crowds were going apeshit over the equivalents of guys like Adam Rose or Three Man Band.

Or, as Cornette likes to say, he's an 8 pushed as a 10 so he comes off looking like a 7.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hes the best worker of all time

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perdido posted:

He was the Plan C wrestler whom WWE didn't really have much of a choice to do something with after Austin went out with a neck injury and Rock went off to Hollywood. Horrible promo, decent worker but he wasn't on the level of guys like Jericho/Angle/Benoit/Austin/etc. IMO, because I've never really seen him carry a match.

The reason why he is a 'big deal' is because of who he is married to. That allows him to protect the gently caress out of himself and step out and poo poo on other people, making him look good in the process (see also: the horrible CM Punk/Kevin Nash/Triple H debacle from a few years ago.) The other big reason why he is a big deal is because he had 1 good year, where he benefited greatly from a number of people putting him over hardcore (notably Foley.) He's also the only Attitude Era star that is still a part of the company on a consistent basis. Most everyone else is retired or has gone on to other careers or are part timers.

And yeah, he got a Jesus pop when he returned from injury, but that was in a day and age when crowds were going apeshit over the equivalents of guys like Adam Rose or Three Man Band.

Or, as Cornette likes to say, he's an 8 pushed as a 10 so he comes off looking like a 7.

I don't think literally anybody but hardcore HHH fans (if they even still exist) would look at the CM Punk/Kevin Nash thing and think he came out looking "good" after it. The crowd reacted pretty much the same way we did to it. It's so transparent any time HHH does a "I'm the greatest" type of angle/match that even casual fans can tell what's going on

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The RAW a while back where Sting came out and started fellating HHH was the biggest :rolleyes:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good point, are there hardcore HHH marks out there?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some people call him the rear end kicker

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

me

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Triple H isn't wrestling. He's actually a sort of epic poem. Here's some genderswapped wrestlers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHH stinks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aesop Poprock posted:

His baby was losing money constantly and he literally wasn't paying wrestlers for a lot of it, it's such a goofy grudge to hold cause he really has no one to blame but himself for wrestlers leaving

I do think it's a tossup because one could argue that if both WCW and WWF weren't poaching all his talent for several years ECW might have gained more momentum on star recognition and made a lot more money. WCW even got Sandman and Sabu. RVD and very few others like Corino and Candido were the only guys who stuck it out for the long haul AND could wrestle well enough to build a company around, but everyone else ditched out in favor of Turner/McMahon money. Not that I blame them, but there's no way to really ever know how big ECW would've been had they been able to keep some of their bigger stars.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

It's what the Youtube name was, but really, it was done by WWE, which I guess makes sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

You have no clue what you are talking about. WWE saw HHH as a huge star early on. He was never a "Plan C." In the Rock/HHH ladder match WWE saw HIM as the guy who was the breakout star that night not Rock as everyone else saw. He was pretty much the best worker in the world in 2000 and drew big on many occasions without the help of Rock and Austin. He didn't just get a Jesus pop when he returned, he drew a Jesus buyrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
HHH is like John Cena. He's a very good wrestler but his ever present push and long tenure make people underrate him

well that and the whole booking himself in hilarious fashion part