Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My PEBLO was one of the 2 supervisors in the office and she was a motherfuckin godsend. I could call her up for drat near anything and if she couldn't make poo poo happen as a civvie, she would get someone with enough rank that could.

She always made sure to make sure that my unit wasn't trying to gently caress with me, or anyone else for that matter.

She was prior service, but totally gave a poo poo. I got the distinct feeling that she actually didn't like the military but enjoyed the hell out of helping to stick it to them.

Enjoy what is now an easier time to get out, and hopefully yours goes as quick as mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's enough focus on the medical separation process these days that most people in the process are scared shitless of an IG complaint.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah. I told them about the pedantic poo poo my command does sometime and she was like "just call me" feels good and weird to get helped after being cast aside for years.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
One word as to why they don't treat you like poo poo: ombudsman.

Are you in an MEB unit? And if so, where at?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
For guys that have used them, whats the general opinion of the stryker? Benning seems to only have IBCT and ABCT scouts and of course tankers as instructors, all of whom seem to think of the stryker as some sort of abomination.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

From my perspective as a dismount, I loved them. Fast, quieter and more roomy than a humvee, and took some hits that would have shredded a humvee. With 4 Strykers we were able to dump a whole platoon on the ground of an objective quickly and quietly, and then roll out with a bunch of bad guys in flex cuffs with room to spare.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
2SCR was coming out of one of the FOBs in Afghanistan. Pretty sure this was in 2011. Might have been FOB Ramrod. Like a quarter mile ECP between the FOB and HWY 1. Dude was loving flying out of the FOB. HWY 1 was elevated from the long rear end ECP and he ended up flipping the stryker over to the other side of the road and killing the gunner.

What a dumb loving way to be KIA. I bet that driver has worse PTSD than most of us.

Cole fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 5, 2015

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

One of the drivers in my platoon ran a Stryker into a waist-high jersey barrier going 40mph. Ripped off the front two right tires and everyone inside thought we hit an IED from the impact.

Moral of the story: don't let Asians drive.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
My Asian driver rolled my MRAP over an Iraqi car. Everyone lived somehow. I didn't wear my seat belt, so I was the least injured.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I get why they were built the way they are, but there was never a single time in a stryker without being worried about rolling over. No idea of statistics or physics but they always look to me like they want to roll over as soon as the steering wheel moves.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's how I always felt about the Maxpro MRAPs. High center of gravity as gently caress.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I remember when the stryker wasnt even released around 2001 or so, the army planned on replacing m1 and m2s with them and they were going to be wonderful and all of that

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Strykers are pretty drat fast and actually handle quite well (on and off-road) so long as you understand where the center of gravity is. They inspire a hell of a lot more confidence than a loving MaxxPro, that's for sure. They're also pretty easy to jump. :black101:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They're great for making GBS threads grunts all over an objective in an urban environment. I have 0 experience with them outside of that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

The Rat posted:

That's how I always felt about the Maxpro MRAPs. High center of gravity as gently caress.

Being a gunner in a maxpro while going through Kandahar city at night on our way to KAF was scarier than any firefight I was ever in.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I spent four years in a Stryker brigade. They are great in urban environments.

They are quiet and ride comfortably. You can sleep in the belly, wake up at the objective and execute a raid, and then hop back in and continue your nap on the back to the COP/FOB. They also take IEDs well. Rollovers can be a problem in some environments though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

Strykers are pretty drat fast and actually handle quite well (on and off-road) so long as you understand where the center of gravity is. They inspire a hell of a lot more confidence than a loving MaxxPro, that's for sure. They're also pretty easy to jump. :black101:

I've never been in a MaxxPro but they look like they'd roll in a stiff breeze.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Between Humvees, Bradleys, and Strykers I liked the Stryker the most overall. Way quieter than a tracked vehicle like the Brad obviously, way roomier. Also the electronics were actually made in this millenium. I liked my Brad because loving 25mm and we used to run over junked cars in Baghdad all the time with them. Fuckin pancakes, man.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

My MAXXPRO driver took a corner at like 15 MPH once and I was sure as gently caress we were about to roll over. The little gauge they put on the dash to let you know how close you are to rolling over was in the red, and I was already bracing for the loving rollover drill.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mike-o posted:

Between Humvees, Bradleys, and Strykers I liked the Stryker the most overall. Way quieter than a tracked vehicle like the Brad obviously, way roomier. Also the electronics were actually made in this millenium. I liked my Brad because loving 25mm and we used to run over junked cars in Baghdad all the time with them. Fuckin pancakes, man.

They are ridiculous to drive, particularly at night though.
Using that tiny little IR camera to weave around poo poo at 40-50 miles an hour can be intense.

Chilling in a hatch is the way to go if you aren't asleep in the belly.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Obstacle2 posted:

They are ridiculous to drive, particularly at night though.
Using that tiny little IR camera to weave around poo poo at 40-50 miles an hour can be intense.

Seriously that IR camera was a godsend, especially if you've ever experienced the joys of the Bradley IR camera that weighs 50 lbs and you have to mount in the driver's seat and look through a tiny little periscope thing. God help you if the mounting bracket and screws come loose while you're doing a blackout night op and the loving thing falls into your lap and crushes your nuts while you're lead vehicle.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mike-o posted:

Seriously that IR camera was a godsend, especially if you've ever experienced the joys of the Bradley IR camera that weighs 50 lbs and you have to mount in the driver's seat and look through a tiny little periscope thing. God help you if the mounting bracket and screws come loose while you're doing a blackout night op and the loving thing falls into your lap and crushes your nuts while you're lead vehicle.

The difference 20 years makes in technology!

One negative though is that when 5.56 is fired into the interior floor the the Styrker it fragments and sprays everywhere. I know this because a SAW gunner in my platoon had his pistol grip fall off as he was exiting the vehicle, turning the SAW into a run away gun inside a real tight space.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
that would probably be the scariest thing tbh

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Being the gunner in a Maxxpro sucks balls. You feel every single loving bump because of the lovely suspension. Just throws you around the turret like a loving ping pong ball.

There's a place on MSR Tampa heading south (south of Kalsu I want to say but my memories are fuzzy now, I can't remember if it was before or after Scania), where recent road repair just loving stops and it's a hard drop from layers upon layers of new asphalt to old lovely asphalt from a decade before.

I don't know how big a drop it really is, but if you're in the turret, it feels like half a loving foot.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
We ended up bending a few axles in our maxxpros from going off road. They were not really meant to go off of paved areas I think. However the back seat cushions fit nicely as replacements for the hard rubber plastic seats in RGs.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
We had gotten a couple Caiman MRAPS, which were pretty sweet, and our leadership wanted us to drive them around for a bit to get used to them. So we just drove the perimeter of Balad. One lap we drove past the entrance of the motor pool of one of the other companies in the battalion we were attached to and saw an MRAP on its side.

On the second lap, there were two.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
MATVs are pretty fun. Hated the back seats compared to other trucks but they were pretty fun to drive. Pretty good IED protection. Just don't take a RPG or recoilless directly to the door. If it manages to stop you from being dead it will leave the entire door disintegrated and you're pretty much target practice at that point.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Cole posted:

One word as to why they don't treat you like poo poo: ombudsman.

Are you in an MEB unit? And if so, where at?

Nope, requested to go to a WTU though.

I'm at Lewis, and apparently the WTU got a text like a month, two months ago that this dude was gonna come in and go Columbine.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Cole posted:

MATVs are pretty fun. Hated the back seats compared to other trucks but they were pretty fun to drive. Pretty good IED protection. Just don't take a RPG or recoilless directly to the door. If it manages to stop you from being dead it will leave the entire door disintegrated and you're pretty much target practice at that point.
The MATV also has the same engine as the Stryker, but in a vehicle that weighs, what, 60% as much? :rice:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

that would probably be the scariest thing tbh

Thankfully that moron wasn't in my squad. The shrapnel that come off the floor hosed up the interpreter and a few other people. Apparently the retaining pin kept falling out and the guy just decided to run with it because he was too afraid to tell his chain of command. My unit was awesome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cole posted:

2SCR was coming out of one of the FOBs in Afghanistan. Pretty sure this was in 2011. Might have been FOB Ramrod. Like a quarter mile ECP between the FOB and HWY 1. Dude was loving flying out of the FOB. HWY 1 was elevated from the long rear end ECP and he ended up flipping the stryker over to the other side of the road and killing the gunner.

What a dumb loving way to be KIA. I bet that driver has worse PTSD than most of us.

gently caress man you were right down the road from me if you heard this story. I was in Lagman, those dudes were mad as hell when that happened for being pretty much the worst reason to die.

I watched his ramp ceremony.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress man you were right down the road from me if you heard this story. I was in Lagman, those dudes were mad as hell when that happened for being pretty much the worst reason to die.

I watched his ramp ceremony.

If anyone was in or around FOB Warhorse in Iraq, there was a driver that veered off the road just before the bridge heading south into Baqubah from the FOB. Dude just fell asleep. It was a brigade TAC vehicle that went over, killing two.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Obstacle2 posted:

If anyone was in or around FOB Warhorse in Iraq, there was a driver that veered off the road just before the bridge heading south into Baqubah from the FOB. Dude just fell asleep. It was a brigade TAC vehicle that went over, killing two.

oh poo poo

i wasnt at warhorse, i was down the road @ Gabe but gently caress i know that road

ugh

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Clearing from my unit right now, one stop to make at transportation and arrange shipping of my HHG back to Washington, and then I'm done until my DD214 and finance brief on Monday. Suck my dick from the balls, army

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Pesticide20 posted:

Clearing from my unit right now, one stop to make at transportation and arrange shipping of my HHG back to Washington, and then I'm done until my DD214 and finance brief on Monday. Suck my dick from the balls, army

Feels good man

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Syrian Lannister posted:

Feels good man

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Obstacle2 posted:

poo poo yeah bro, I used to rest the bottom of my body armor on the hatch and lean into it. I had a heavy rear end radio attached to the front of my vest so standing regular in the hatch got uncomfortable really quick. Snoozin in the belly was awesome for me because we usually only carried people if we had VIPs or some TOC nerds to drive around. Most of the time if I wasn't up in the hatch I had the whole thing to myself and could sprawl the gently caress out sippin ice cold root beer.

I love strykers, ours was especially badass after our engine melted one day out on patrol. We got a new engine put in that was leftover from the unit before us and they had modified the hydraulics somehow so the ramp came up hilariously fast, like 2 seconds tops. Pretty dangerous if you weren't paying attention, but so worth it.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

RichieHimself posted:

I love strykers, ours was especially badass after our engine melted one day out on patrol. We got a new engine put in that was leftover from the unit before us and they had modified the hydraulics somehow so the ramp came up hilariously fast, like 2 seconds tops. Pretty dangerous if you weren't paying attention, but so worth it.

There's some adjustment you can make at the back to make the ramp speed up or slow down without having to swap the pack.

I only remember because some truck had a hilariously slow ramp that needed to get fixed at the motor pool.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Other neat Stryker mods.

Old tire strapped to the cage armor on the back of the ramp, so that it wouldn't make an obnoxious CLANG sound when you drop ramp to go ruin someone's afternoon tea.

Ripped the back seat out of a passenger car that we aggressively searched, and strapped that in over the Stryker bench seats. Much more comfy than the default.

And of course the usual splicing an ipod into the comms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The bench seats got replaced in ours with some kind of seat that I think was from a Blackhawk? It was designed so that the seat would take some of the blast from an IED going off under the truck. Of course you had to be strapped in for it to work properly, and the new seats cut off some of the already-precious space running down the middle of the vehicle, so it was that much harder to pile out of the Stryker on a normal training day in AK (let alone in the desert when you need to be out of the drat thing quick).

• Locked thread