Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like I understand the in-game logic and lore for why you fight the dragon asses but it still blows my mind that there is such an enemy as the rear end of dragons just wandering around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Bed of Chaos was the best boss fight in that game :colbert:

I like the big boney rib dragon in the sewers, he was my favorite

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Calaveron posted:

Like I understand the in-game logic and lore for why you fight the dragon asses but it still blows my mind that there is such an enemy as the rear end of dragons just wandering around.

Listen man, when you fall behind schedule you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

many johnnys posted:

I like the big boney rib dragon in the sewers, he was my favorite

Personally, I still stand that Artorias is the best boss in the whole game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Can we ban dark souls chat from pyf?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The best part about dino rear end miniboss grill from DS1 is the idea makes a reappearance in DS2: Crown of the Sunken King. The enemies are called the Imperfect, and they can shoot you with long range electronically bombs, chew on you with their weird flat humanlike teeth, and stomp you. The only way to fight them is to wade through knee deep water to melee them so they don't charge you.

If you'd played DS1 and remember the zombie dino asses they will seem very familiar... And then when they do the trademark dino rear end "leap 100ft in the air and come crashing down on you" attack, you'll know.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Can we ban dark souls chat from pyf?

It was a pretty notable video game and this is a video game thread. Deal with it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

It was a pretty notable video game and this is a video game thread. Deal with it.

I guess since we banned the PYF furries thread if we got rid of dark souls too you'd have nothing left...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In a vacuum talking about Dark Souls is fine but people in the dragging games down thread refuse to hear a bad word about it and just now it's randomly derailed from content into PYF DS boss

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Would you say that from software, a game developer, has trolled this thread

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Would you say that from software, a game developer, has trolled this thread

No, I would not. Trolling requires intent.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nanomashoes posted:

I guess since we banned the PYF furries thread if we got rid of dark souls too you'd have nothing left...

This is a very convincing argument.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

AlphaKretin posted:

In a vacuum talking about Dark Souls is fine but people in the dragging games down thread refuse to hear a bad word about it and just now it's randomly derailed from content into PYF DS boss

For a long time, the subtitle to that thread was basically telling people to shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls. When you don't play that game, DS chat is the most boring drat thing in the world, because people just argue non-stop about which of the [every single noun in the game] is the best or the worst.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yesterday I was thinking to myself "I'm sick of playing ToME on my tiny laptop, I wish there was some kind of light rogue like on consoles. Then Dragon Fin Soup got released as free for PS+. It was fate.

I start a new game and go for iron man mode because I love the tension that it gives every encounter. And then.....the first encounter is unwinnable.

It turns out to be just a dream but having literally the first thirty seconds of the game after starting a no-death run be an inevitable death seemed like a serious developer troll.

AlphaKretin posted:

this has not been remotely true since months or even years before you registered

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"
Then I stood, and croaked "GET OUT"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat
Roaming pokemon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

For a long time, the subtitle to that thread was basically telling people to shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls. When you don't play that game, DS chat is the most boring drat thing in the world, because people just argue non-stop about which of the [every single noun in the game] is the best or the worst.

Except that's not at all what happened, people talk about boring game poo poo all the time but now there's been about half a page of people just bitching about people talking about a video game in a topic about video games. One of these things is dumber than the other. I'm sorry you don't like dark souls, maybe post about a game you do like instead.

Duke of Flies posted:

Roaming pokemon.
I think I always threw the masterball at them. How does a sleeping pokemon run away, gamefreak? How!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Yesterday I was thinking to myself "I'm sick of playing ToME on my tiny laptop, I wish there was some kind of light rogue like on consoles. Then Dragon Fin Soup got released as free for PS+. It was fate.

I start a new game and go for iron man mode because I love the tension that it gives every encounter. And then.....the first encounter is unwinnable.

It turns out to be just a dream but having literally the first thirty seconds of the game after starting a no-death run be an inevitable death seemed like a serious developer troll.

this has not been remotely true since months or even years before you registered

I tried to play Dragon Fin Soup; I thought it might be interesting, the aesthetic grabbed me. The actual game, however, is absolute bullshit. Try to run diagonal? Nope. Okay, fair enough, maybe it's kind of turn-based behind the scenes. I'll queue up left then up. Nope. Go left. Wait. Go up. Nope. No input in the middle at all. How someone bothered with this game, I have no idea. I was well up for a nice rogue-like action-ish RPG. This got deleted in about five minutes. It's awful.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Oblivion's leveling system.

It asks you to select several "major skills" at the beginning which you must raise to level up. Naturally your inclination is to choose your favorite skills, the ones you'll be using most often, but in doing so you cheat yourself out of the highest possible stat increases. You get so many points into a stat increase at level up determined by how much you raised a skill associated with that stat - raise your heavy armor skill several times for a good endurance bonus, for example. But if heavy armor is one of your major skills, you get closer to leveling up every time you raise it, so assuming you're leveling other skills at the same time (and if you're playing the game how it's meant to be played, you are) you'll wind up with a +2 increase when you could have gotten a +5 (I forget the exact numbers, it's been years since I've played the game unmodded).

In essence, the game asks you to choose your favorite skills but punishes you if you do. Instead its far better to choose your least-used skills so you can control when you level up and get the best possible modifiers for your stats. It's the very definition of rear end-backwards It's a fundamentally broken system that can leave you unprepared for the games' merciless leveling scaling curve.The system is so bad it had to be intentional.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Deified Data posted:

It asks you to select several "major skills" at the beginning which you must raise to level up. Naturally your inclination is to choose your favorite skills, the ones you'll be using most often, but in doing so you cheat yourself out of the highest possible stat increases. You get so many points into a stat increase at level up determined by how much you raised a skill associated with that stat - raise your heavy armor skill several times for a good endurance bonus, for example. But if heavy armor is one of your major skills, you get closer to leveling up every time you raise it, so assuming you're leveling other skills at the same time (and if you're playing the game how it's meant to be played, you are) you'll wind up with a +2 increase when you could have gotten a +5 (I forget the exact numbers, it's been years since I've played the game unmodded).

In essence, the game asks you to choose your favorite skills but punishes you if you do. Instead its far better to choose your least-used skills so you can control when you level up and get the best possible modifiers for your stats. It's the very definition of rear end-backwards It's a fundamentally broken system that can leave you unprepared for the games' merciless leveling scaling curve.

Did Bethesda hire the dude who was responsible for Final Fantasy II at some point?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Nuebot posted:

I think I always threw the masterball at them. How does a sleeping pokemon run away, gamefreak? How!

sleepwalking

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Bethesda hire the dude who was responsible for Final Fantasy II at some point?

Naw, Nasir's been retired since the 90s :v:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Deified Data posted:

In essence, the game asks you to choose your favorite skills but punishes you if you do. Instead its far better to choose your least-used skills so you can control when you level up and get the best possible modifiers for your stats. It's the very definition of rear end-backwards It's a fundamentally broken system that can leave you unprepared for the games' merciless leveling scaling curve.The system is so bad it had to be intentional.

It's essentially the same thing in Morrowind as well. It's the most godawful stupid levelling up system I've ever seen. The rules are completely arbitrary and nonsensical - god help if you if you accidentally gain points in, say, Acrobatics when you were hoping to maximize Agility gains during your next Level up. Or worse, if you improve one of your Major or Minor skills too much without having improved other miscellanous skills first too. Argh!

Either have skills that improve as you use them, or have levels. Somehow they managed to combine the worst aspects of both in Morrowind.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Soul Reaver posted:

It's essentially the same thing in Morrowind as well.

Wrong. Morrowind has the saving grace of letting you grind your miscellaneous skills after receiving the "hey you can level up now" message to maximize stat gains.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Soul Reaver posted:

It's essentially the same thing in Morrowind as well. It's the most godawful stupid levelling up system I've ever seen. The rules are completely arbitrary and nonsensical - god help if you if you accidentally gain points in, say, Acrobatics when you were hoping to maximize Agility gains during your next Level up. Or worse, if you improve one of your Major or Minor skills too much without having improved other miscellanous skills first too. Argh!

Either have skills that improve as you use them, or have levels. Somehow they managed to combine the worst aspects of both in Morrowind.

If I recall correctly my method was to pick skills like alchemy, smithing, or any weapon/magic skill I knew I'd never use as my majors so I could level up whenever I wanted. I'd then craft several spells I could cast on myself for minimal damage/benefit to raise intelligence and wisdom, or conjure a scamp and let it beat on me for a while to raise my armor skills until I beat it to death to raise my weapon skills. I had to do that every level. To the common observer in Cyrodiil I must have looked like a moron. "Why is that guy repeatedly setting himself on fire?"

It's a real momentum killer. I should have just turned down the difficulty and ignored my stats.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
With Oblivion, it gets worse. Enemies are scaled to your level, so it's ridiculously easy to make the game unplayably hard if you level up the wrong skills. It's actually better to stop leveling up at Level 4, since the leveled lists change every 5 levels. It's also really easy to do this. You have to sleep to level up, since the game has to reload the entire world every time.

Or just install a mod that makes leveling rational. That is, if you're playing on PC. On console, I guess you'd better whip out your spreadsheets.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

dpbjinc posted:

With Oblivion, it gets worse. Enemies are scaled to your level, so it's ridiculously easy to make the game unplayably hard if you level up the wrong skills. It's actually better to stop leveling up at Level 4, since the leveled lists change every 5 levels. It's also really easy to do this. You have to sleep to level up, since the game has to reload the entire world every time.

Or just install a mod that makes leveling rational. That is, if you're playing on PC. On console, I guess you'd better whip out your spreadsheets.

I remember every new game was a rush to complete the first Oblivion gate before the Cleanfears and poo poo showed up, so I'd refuse to level up until after Kvatch. That's, what, 2-3 hours into the game?

Duke of Flies
Jul 2, 2007

I croaked "Get Out"
Then I stood, and croaked "GET OUT"

Or... get in..
Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

Too bad some versions have more than one! The hunt is on indefinitely.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I used to get paranoid missing out on a perk or skill points in Fallout because I didn't get an implant/bobblehead before level 3. This situation never actually happened, but it made me grateful for when RPGs don't RNG level-up rewards. Why can't I just get the full reward my XP amount says I'm owed, instead of having to savescum a better outcome?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Nov 5, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I used to get paranoid missing out on a perk or skill points in Fallout because I didn't get an implant/bobblehead before level 3. This situation never actually happened, but it made me grateful for when RPGs don't RNG level-up rewards. Why can't I just get the full reward my XP amount says I'm owed, instead of having to savescum a better outcome?

I hate that, I especially hate it when a perk or something doesn't give you retroactive rewards. "This gives you more vitality" but if you can't take it until you're like halfway to max level, and it doesn't give you the retroactive vitality you missed out on it feels like a waste. Then future builds feel like you have to build around that. :argh:

vvv Nothing's really changed, though? Unless I've missed something it seems like it's the exact same system as before. Only now you spend a perk point to get a skill in big batches of like ten, instead of getting ten skill points a level and deciding how you want to spend them. People seem to think it's an entirely new system but it's not. If you need 10 gun skill to use something, you're still going to need it. Only now you'll need the level two gun skill perk instead.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Nov 5, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This is one thing I'm looking forward to in Fallout 4, they've done away with skill points entirely and are instead using a perk system so you don't need to worry about min/maxing or the FPS/RPG problem of the shooting being unfun unless you sink a bunch of points into shooting skills.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Duke of Flies posted:

Too bad some versions have more than one! The hunt is on indefinitely.

In FR/LG Entei knew Roar, and if it Roared you out of the fight instead of fleeing, perhaps if by mean look or arena trap, it went away forever.

That's just one quirk on the great big ball of tedium that is roaming Pokemon. It only accomplishes making Dusk Ball throws happen once every 30 minutes instead of a few a minute.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

de la peche posted:

I tried to play Dragon Fin Soup; I thought it might be interesting, the aesthetic grabbed me. The actual game, however, is absolute bullshit. Try to run diagonal? Nope. Okay, fair enough, maybe it's kind of turn-based behind the scenes. I'll queue up left then up. Nope. Go left. Wait. Go up. Nope. No input in the middle at all. How someone bothered with this game, I have no idea. I was well up for a nice rogue-like action-ish RPG. This got deleted in about five minutes. It's awful.

This seems like an incredibly trivial thing to drop a game in five minutes over.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Witcher 2 had a system whereby if you purchased a certain skill from the tree, you'd get a "mutagen slot". You could fill this with any kind of mutagen, granting a bonus to health, magic, stamina etc. As the game progressed you could find upgraded versions of the same bonus. There's just one problem, if you put a mutagen in a slot, you could never ever take it out or replace it. Meaning if you actually wanted to get the most out of this system you'd have to ignore mutagens altogether until the high level ones start appearing, which only proves you don't need the drat things. And you'll get showered with these things. It's such a stupid half-baked mechanic that defeats itself. There's also the guy who can respec your skills, but he only shows up when there's an hour of gameplay left.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sleeveless posted:

This is one thing I'm looking forward to in Fallout 4, they've done away with skill points entirely and are instead using a perk system so you don't need to worry about min/maxing or the FPS/RPG problem of the shooting being unfun unless you sink a bunch of points into shooting skills.

If there's one thing I hated about the old Fallout system was having to put at least a respectable amount of points into intelligence in order for my skills to rise at a rate I was happy with. I'd always end up spending the last few levels putting points into poo poo I don't care about and cursing how wasteful my SPECIAL allocation had become, but god drat it I'm not going to run through level after level spending everything on lockpick and computers just to get the most out of the areas I'm going through.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I've never not played fallout 3 with high intelligence just because you're at a flat out disadvantage if you don't compared to any other SPECIAL you could put your points in. As long as the fallout 4 perks aren't implemented terribly it looks like a big improvement. Although if I understand the system right, it sounds like which perks you'll be able to get will be dependent on how many points you have in each SPECIAL attribute. So there may still be some god perk that you want to get no matter what but it requires 9 intelligence or something. There's apparently no level cap so you'll probably be able to eventually get every perk that your SPECIAL attributes unlock. Your SPECIAL forever locking you out of some necessary perk would be the only thing I could see getting in the way of the new system working right.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I fully expect it to be modded to be more masochistic immersive fairly quickly, with all the mods for Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas designed to repeatedly kick the player right in the crotch, forever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

This seems like an incredibly trivial thing to drop a game in five minutes over.

It really depends. Can enemies move and target diagonally? If they can, it's straight bullshit. If they can't, then sure, it works the same way as Dungeons of Dredmor. Designing a game like that is all about weighing the player's capabilities against the enemies'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agents are GO! posted:

I fully expect it to be modded to be more masochistic immersive fairly quickly, with all the mods for Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas designed to repeatedly kick the player right in the crotch, forever.

I cant wait for the posts about how Fallout 4 is only a good game with mods and Fallout 4 sucks because it's too easy to make sweet game breaking gear.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah I've never not played fallout 3 with high intelligence just because you're at a flat out disadvantage if you don't compared to any other SPECIAL you could put your points in. As long as the fallout 4 perks aren't implemented terribly it looks like a big improvement. Although if I understand the system right, it sounds like which perks you'll be able to get will be dependent on how many points you have in each SPECIAL attribute. So there may still be some god perk that you want to get no matter what but it requires 9 intelligence or something. There's apparently no level cap so you'll probably be able to eventually get every perk that your SPECIAL attributes unlock. Your SPECIAL forever locking you out of some necessary perk would be the only thing I could see getting in the way of the new system working right.

You can use perks to increase your SPECIAL stats.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Good news, you can level your SPECIAL stats in lieu of a perk at level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

I cant wait for the posts about how Fallout 4 is only a good game with mods and Fallout 4 sucks because it's too easy to make sweet game breaking gear.

I can guarantee one of these, if not both, is going to be true regardless.

The gear modification system is the only thing I've heard about Fallout 4 that interests me, but I don't have faith in Bethesda anymore to see them pull that off in a way that's actually satisfying for all. If it was Morrowind-era Bethesda, yeah, I'd trust those guys to make it great, but not current Bethesda or even Oblivion-era Bethesda, despite my love for that last one.

• Locked thread