Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just finished shimming the YZ valves. Time to see if I did it right. :v:

e: It starts easier. My carb kit got lost in the mail so I have to wait on that. It idles a little higher than before so I turned it down but I think it needs the carb gone through pretty bad. Starts easy... actually, it wouldn't start with the choke pulled when I first tried. First kick when I turned the choke off.

Ordered a ZipTy fuel screw because gently caress that poo poo and my carb rebuild kit has somehow been lost in shipping. Gonna go ride it in the morning.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Quick question, I have a 1999 YZ400F. I know the jug is interchangeable with the 426, but is it with the 450?

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 4, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

TEAH SYAG posted:

Quick question, I have a 1999 YZ400F. I know the jug is interchangeable with the 426, but is it with the 450?

400 + stroke: 426.
426 + bigger bore: 450.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Trip report - was still a pain to get running cold. Ate poo poo five or six times, mostly in deep sand (pushed the front). Bike started right up first kick with hot start lever pulled each time.

I love the winding trails, rocky areas you have to crawl through and deep sand areas - not so much.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Every time you post I wonder why you still live in AZ :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Me too. Me too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Move your rear end back (way back) stand up and keep that throttle open for sand.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, and here I was sitting on the tank. This thing would be pretty loving fun with another set of wheels for slicks..... but that's for later on. I think the front moving around that I was talking about before is the head tube bearings. I tightened them up yesterday and no more head shaking - i"m going to replace them though. Already ordered. I hope the carb fixes the cold start.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 4, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Carb time:

This is what I pulled out:
Main - 170
Jet Clip - 2nd from bottom
Pilot - 48 Keihin stamped
Pilot air - 100 Keihin stamped
Starter - 72 Keihin stamped
Leak - 55 Keihin stamped

Stock:
Main - 165
Jet Clip - 4th
Pilot - 42
Pilot air - 100
Starter - 72
Leak - 55

My kit:
Main - 160
Pilot - 45
Pilot air - 100
Starter - 72
Leak - 55

Thoughts? Stock intake / exhaust, 1200ft-3000ft, desert. It feels a little boggy, pops off throttle (I think that's normal) and is hard to start cold. Starts easy when hot, idles great once it is running. One of the vent tubes was melted shut.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 7, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That seems reasonable. A little richer than stock at idle, and a little leaner on the main, because you're higher in elevation. I'd split the difference on the needle and put it on the 3rd clip to see how it runs. A bit of difficulty starting when cold on an older, higher hours single isn't unheard of.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
08 WR450F - customer said he got "about 30000km" before it quit running. According to him, he did nothing besides oil changes, air filters and spark plugs. Only the last few thousand km did it start burning massive amounts of oil and becoming hard to start. The centre intake valve wore away so far it pushed the bucket into the cam that the lobe turned blue and stuck against the bucket. drat impressive if the valves lasted 30K from new with no adjustment. The other two intakes were tight, but not zeroed out, and the exhaust valves were on the tight side of spec. New crank, cylinder, piston, valves and cams and he will be a happy camper again.

Your 450 should last a long time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm about to put the carb back together.

edit: Throwing the whole kit I got into it so I have a baseline.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 10, 2015

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Spiffness and I rode some trails in the mountains of Eastern WA this weekend (Taneum). It was a nice change of pace, as these trails are faster with a good rhythm compared to the technical root-fest of western Washington.

Unfortunately some nature folks bought 47k acres of this land and are attempting to designate it hikers-only: http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news_article/show/505102-taneum-naches-and-nature-conservancy

[

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I swear I was just relaxing my arms while he took a picture and not striking a pose. It's hard to look casual in gear.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I can confirm, it was a candid shot. Although it does look like the stig

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Got my headtube bearings in today so I got to put the bike together and ride it. It's much faster... and starts super easy, even cold.
I did the 'ziptie mod' while I was in there, too.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna and myself (middle, Anna - right, me) at the start of the Cheese Grater enduro on Sunday. It went on to snow most of the time. It was loving cold in the transfer sections.

Got my first win! My results now look like this:

Event Name Event Date Position
Rhody 2015-05-24 5
King Phillip 2015-06-07 3
Snow Run 2015-08-16 3
Rocktoberfast 2015-10-04 2
Cheese Grater 2015-10-18 1

One enduro left for the season next weekend - The Black and Blue. It's brutal, ugh.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

Been doing the NETRA endure series this year. Only a couple of them are serious time keeping affairs, like what's about to happen tomorrow.

Our series completely did away with time keepers now, we're all restart format. Like a bunch of mini hare scrambles with transfer sections in between.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Checked out foresthill ohv with my manager and our spouses.

Place is fantastic. really good variety of trails

manager's KX250f started having some kind of clutch issue towards the end of the day, essentially became unridable so we called it quits.

First trip with the 790cc kit installed too. However starting it in first feels like I'm starting in third on my drz. Its a clutch abuser.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a decent way to protect the Ti YZ450F header or is there a stainless steel option I should look for to pop up on eBay used? I crushed mine pretty good yesterday so I need to figure out how to best re-expand it. Gonna ride it today anyway, woop.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just keep crushing them!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
420 crush Ti on rocks urryweekend

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 1, 2015

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's the popular venturi mod

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That's amazing. Why not just get an FMF system or something? I've actually had really good luck finding used exhaust systems.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I have never had a header dent large enough to test this on, but it seems like it would be water under the fridge at this point. Fill it with water, the dent being the lowest point, and freeze is over night. If you will be replacing it anyways, give it a go!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If you don't seal off the pipe that's just going to make you a pretty header shaped popsicle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I took a torch and a slide hammer, pulled it right out.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Baller Witness Bro posted:

If you don't seal off the pipe that's just going to make you a pretty header shaped popsicle.

false i've done it and it works. You only need as much water to cover the area of the dent.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

the little tractor that can almost.

Had some fun in the mud too, almost ate poo poo when I whiskied the throttle going through some muddy rear end whoops and the front end slipped out

annnnnd on the wya home loving motor blows. GAHDAMMIT.

Except unlike Chiche' I've a spouse to say come get my poo poo.

carnegie is good fun. Not as fun muddy as gently caress, and when I'm ill prepared, but fun.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I hurt myself a few weeks ago bicycling:

So here are some shots of Anna at the final J Day spring enduro:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Oh man that's a bummer, it looks like a bad break too. Heal up fast! At least you timed it right with the seasons!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

At least you timed it right with the seasons!

You ain't kidding! I got a plate in there a few Fridays ago so I feel good to go but I have to sit and wait for 6 weeks. Started tuning the telemark skiis out of boredom.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Where the gently caress can I get a 14 inch paddle tire? Apparently you can't buy the AMS Sand Snake anymore which is maybe the worst thing that's ever happened to my YZ80 and KX80.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Cheng Shing shows their C899 6 paddle comes in 14" rear.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Unfortunately the C899 is out of stock pretty much everywhere. I'll keep looking. I'm just trying to get the two gently caress around bikes ready for riding in a foot of snow in the corn fields.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Pnw riders: need recommendation on dunes. I've never ridden dunes before but it's time for a new tire and I could use some big rear end whip practice. Should I go to lake Moses or dunes in Oregon? This will be over the long thanksgiving weekend.

Over crowding, presence of law enforcement, and amount of atv riders are points of interest to me. (I don't have a spark arrestor)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I've only been to the the dunes at Mattawa, it's pretty fun but the jumps aren't massive like you'd get in Oregon. On the plus side Mattawa is a lot closer to Seattle than Oregon/Moses. It's pretty rural, no real cop presence.

Spiff and I. There is potential for jumps but I'd want a spotter.

Oregon looks like the place for big dune air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIN2Xek3wgk

30 seconds of googling makes moses look sweet too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfMcfzxsEY

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Moses is far better than Mattawa.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
The dudes around here say don't bother with a paddle for Moses. Is that good advice? I think my buddy decided for me that we were going to Moses so now I need to know if I'm putting a regular knobby or a paddle. He bought me a flag with a hundred dollar bill because I always say all money no skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

f dunes watch jimmy d
https://vurbmoto.com/videos/jimmy-decotis-rips-his-125-down-under/26189/