Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Can anybody tell me the best way to kill storm vermin as a dwarf with mace and shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mr Cuddles posted:

Can anybody tell me the best way to kill storm vermin as a dwarf with mace and shield?

Bash or power attack for knockback, shoot with handgun.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mr Cuddles posted:

what is your ranged weapon

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm looking for a new co-op game - how is this compared to, say, PayDay 2? Is the goon community pretty good for finding parties, and has the developer said how much they'll support it with DLC?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Here's some more things I keep mishearing.
Wizzard's Cock! (said by dwarf, I assume these are two nonsense dwarf words and the translation is "gently caress!")
The healer! the healer! (they're here? Said by rats. Ain't nobody here a dedicated healer...)
We Rule!!! (I hope this one is heard right because I love that enthusiastic lil' rat guy. You did it. You conquered the surface little guy.)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Wizzard's Cock! (said by dwarf, I assume these are two nonsense dwarf words and the translation is "gently caress!")

It's Wazzock, which means :milk:

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Krinkle posted:

Here's some more things I keep mishearing.
The healer! the healer! (they're here? Said by rats. Ain't nobody here a dedicated healer...)
We Rule!!! (I hope this one is heard right because I love that enthusiastic lil' rat guy. You did it. You conquered the surface little guy.)

The voice in this game is hilarious. I love when the dwarf says that line that sounds like, "Holy poo poo!"

Also what are people's opinion on the Stormvermin patrol chant? I hear, "Keep Black" or "Stay Black".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Krinkle posted:

You got this one right, yes. They're so excited. :3:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Krinkle posted:

If you think about it the Skaven move about in tunnels. Kind of like snakes...

Tunnel Snakes?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

If you think about it the Skaven move about in tunnels. Kind of like snakes...

Tunnel Snakes?

skaven hate snakes, a snake god beat the poo poo out of their rat god once

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lord Wexia posted:

The voice in this game is hilarious. I love when the dwarf says that line that sounds like, "Holy poo poo!"

Also what are people's opinion on the Stormvermin patrol chant? I hear, "Keep Black" or "Stay Black".

i dont hear anything much at all (its just some "racht/keit" gibberish, but a few of my friends claim its RAT. KING.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm looking for a new co-op game - how is this compared to, say, PayDay 2? Is the goon community pretty good for finding parties, and has the developer said how much they'll support it with DLC?

I wonder this too and in addition want to know, is this like PayDay 2 where pubbies poo poo their pants and wig out if you don't do a map quote en quote right, or are things sufficiently random that that's not an issue?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder this too and in addition want to know, is this like PayDay 2 where pubbies poo poo their pants and wig out if you don't do a map quote en quote right, or are things sufficiently random that that's not an issue?

It's more L4D than Payday where things are randomized. It's not possible to perfect something like Payday since it's reacting to hordes and specials. But it takes the smaller scale map systems from Payday where you can be in an out of a map in 10-20 minutes compared to the 40 some odd for L4D.

I think it's a great game and pubbies are bad but better than Payday pubbies who think they can stealth framing frame with a minigun.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Pubbies do nothing but run Horn of Magnus 24/7 using the pointless finale exploits and occasionally get upset at anyone who doesn't know exactly how to do them, but this doesn't matter in my experience because there are always tons of goons around during American primetime and it's pretty easy to hop in mumble and get a group.

Game itself is pretty fuckin rad.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i dont hear anything much at all (its just some "racht/keit" gibberish, but a few of my friends claim its RAT. KING.

skaven don't have one king (he'd get murdered pretty much immediately), it's a council, so that wouldn't make any sense

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Developer blog has an isolated clip of audio:
http://www.vermintide.com/dev-blog-23-the-skaven-stormvermin-patrol/

Hiding from a Stormvermin patrol is always an experience. it happened pretty organically in my game because we actually feared a wipe. And as soon as we snuck out of cover a mancatcher popped up out of nowhere and try to drag one of my friends towards the patrol. This game wants you to die.

Kaustik fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vargs posted:

Pubbies do nothing but run Horn of Magnus 24/7 using the pointless finale exploits and occasionally get upset at anyone who doesn't know exactly how to do them, but this doesn't matter in my experience because there are always tons of goons around during American primetime and it's pretty easy to hop in mumble and get a group.

Game itself is pretty fuckin rad.

This really mystifies me. If you don't want a hard finale play a level with an easier finale. They exist and are fun.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just play Engines of War, the finale is impossible to gently caress up.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Lord Wexia posted:

That's Saltzpyre that says Holy poo poo Man. The dwarf usually sounds like he's saying cock or gently caress depending on the day.

xthetenth posted:

This really mystifies me. If you don't want a hard finale play a level with an easier finale. They exist and are fun.

The problem is, the finale is literally standing under the awning and having a competition to see who can build the highest pile of corpses with the 4th person shooting any specials or providing support. Even disregarding having played far too much of the map, it's not a hard fight.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought that the marching, chanting Stormvermin patrols were adorable. They think they're people :kimchi:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nebiros posted:

The problem is, the finale is literally standing under the awning and having a competition to see who can build the highest pile of corpses with the 4th person shooting any specials or providing support. Even disregarding having played far too much of the map, it's not a hard fight.

Getting to the elevator is actually kind of easy to mess up without coordination. Nothing like getting down and realizing rats fell on a guy with two books and he's downed way up the stairs.

Engines is an endurance challenge you can carry well with individual adequacy and a quick "get in the cellar". Garden is a bit tricky but eminently doable. Wizard's is just huddle up and pay attention. Enemies is keep moving one you're on the way out.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 5, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NeurosisHead posted:

If you have a dwarf or soldier bot with a handgun no special will last half a second past when you mark it. I'm glad they're on my team, because they loving cheat, man.

Seriously. Last night a saw a dwarf headshot a rat as it was flying through the air (gunner runner jumping to rooftop I think). It was insane.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's possible to speed jump the horn anymore. At least from what I can tell visually when using a speed potion and jumping. It looks like your horizontal movement speed is no longer boosted. I haven't done any hard math but it just seems to be that way from getting a lot of powdered cheese.

The glut of piss poor pubbies likely stems from too much powdered cheese. They're level whatever and have gear but no clue on the finer mechanics of the game. Probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make in this game is always trying to swing first and I'm still guilty of doing it. Many times you get hit by that rat with the wind up attack running at you and there goes a chunk of your health.

To keep elaborating on the subject of cheese I don't mind cheesing the horn but it is getting a tad boring. I'm not sure there is a real way to stop it besides making it like L4D where all survivors had to be in the event area to start it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

averox posted:

To keep elaborating on the subject of cheese I don't mind cheesing the horn but it is getting a tad boring. I'm not sure there is a real way to stop it besides making it like L4D where all survivors had to be in the event area to start it.

I'm also totally fine with cheesing the Horn if I'm just there to get loot and/or my pub group is stupid.

Also I timed how long it takes form horn blow to jump time and it's about 3 and a half min. Enough time to get up and get a drink and have a stretch while the pubbies do allll the work.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
orange swift bow why god, why can't you just give me a better than green longbow

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

Tunnel Snakes?

m-m-most-m-m-mostly 'coz we rule

Tiler Kiwi posted:

They must be following that Keeng Rat from fallout 2 that Sulik killed with a hammer :haw:

edit: please gods no not that loving thing for my avatar

pnutz fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 5, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

averox posted:

The glut of piss poor pubbies likely stems from too much powdered cheese. They're level whatever and have gear but no clue on the finer mechanics of the game. Probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make in this game is always trying to swing first and I'm still guilty of doing it. Many times you get hit by that rat with the wind up attack running at you and there goes a chunk of your health.

Yeah this is totally true. I started parrying much more and facing in circles. Wild swinging works fine up to Normal. I think a lot of these guys get geared and think the same play strategy will work. This is like L4D where harder difficulties require more conservative strategies, skill, and patience.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I only played one game last night as I was lagging pretty badly but did they quietly up the amount of rats? Because there were way more on hard, far more than a random isolated extra group, every part was crawling with more non-horde clanrats than you'd ever usually see in a given area

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ayn Randi posted:

I only played one game last night as I was lagging pretty badly but did they quietly up the amount of rats? Because there were way more on hard, far more than a random isolated extra group, every part was crawling with more non-horde clanrats than you'd ever usually see in a given area

There may be some bugs around spawn rates still out there. I just got through with a Normal White Rat mission where they were spawning non-stop. By the end we had well over 1000 kills combined. On Normal.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Killing blow is the most satisfying upgrade on a weapon. It feels just like tabletop, because it was super satisfying there and it also has a 1/6 chance to occur in this game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ayn Randi posted:

Just played a NM with friendo and 2 pubbies who joined late. Soldier Pubbie runs off ahead of group, runs face first into a Rattling around a corner after jumping a ramp and dies like a bitch. Friend, Pubbie 2 and myself try to survive waves as we carry poo poo to one of those destroy the X objectives. Pubbie 2 dies to overwhelming rats. I survive to carry the last barrel over then get hook ratted and die while Friend on Wizard tries to save me. Friend goes on to survive for 5 more min solo before getting cut down; meanwhile in chat Pubbie 2 is calling Pubbie 1 out on his moving forward alone, P1: "It's not my fault you guys are slow", "Can't wait to see the score, show you I did lots of work."

I tell him he is an idiot and score doesn't matter if we wipe thanks to poor play decisions on his part. "gently caress you it matters lots when you take 50 damage from one clan rat and I have to take 40 to save your rear end." Motherfucker you died after 10mins after joining the game and just sprayed poo poo with your Coach Gun; and I didn't even take 50 damage from a single rat where are you getting this from. He drops a "You guys suck" and quits as we watch the DEFEATED screen come up.

Fuckin' Pubbies.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
oh great, joined a black powder nightmare just for a change of map, just to find they've worked out yet another exploit. loving hell.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Skandranon posted:

There may be some bugs around spawn rates still out there. I just got through with a Normal White Rat mission where they were spawning non-stop. By the end we had well over 1000 kills combined. On Normal.

You have to admit it was fun as hell wading through the corpses there though. Second round was heavy Storm Vermin spawns :getin:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I run Nightmare pretty routinely now; I have full hard mode completion, and I want the heightened challenge and better chances for loot.

I also do not have a single orange item. It is my secret shame, and I'm pretty sure I'd be votekicked in an instant if most of my teams found out.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Krieg Rat! Krieg Rat!

I mean all the city names are Germanic too, right?

Backhand posted:

I run Nightmare pretty routinely now; I have full hard mode completion, and I want the heightened challenge and better chances for loot.

I also do not have a single orange item. It is my secret shame, and I'm pretty sure I'd be votekicked in an instant if most of my teams found out.

Some weapons just aren't good, even if they're orange. Like, on my Soldier, I have an orange blunderbuss and a blue rifle and I never, ever use the blunderbuss. Likewise, if I found a blue repeater, I'd use that over the orange blunderbuss as well. On the last few Nightmare runs I ran as the Witch Hunter, I used a white 2H sword over my blue 1H axe just to fight hordes back better (granted it was supplemented by orange pistols, but still).

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 5, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

-void-

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
I cannot wait to see what expansions these guys are gonna create because the warhammer end times era gives them so much opportunity to have different groups of dudes fight in totally hosed situations against wildly different enemies in wildly different situations, and achieve victory against all odds only to get shat upon by the larger realities of the god drat world ending.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I thought that the marching, chanting Stormvermin patrols were adorable. They think they're people :kimchi:

Skaven are people too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grimcreaper posted:

Skaven are people too.

There's one story in one of the warhammer books somewhere where a Gutter Runner breaks into an Imperial costume ball to try to assassinate a noble, gets spotted, but people assume he's in costume. So he just goes along with it and goes and gets hammered and steals the cheese tray.

Skaven are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Metos posted:

oh great, joined a black powder nightmare just for a change of map, just to find they've worked out yet another exploit. loving hell.

Whats the new one?

• Locked thread