Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is matchmaker giving one team 6 players more than the other a common thing? Seriously what the gently caress goes wrong that one team gets like 7-8 players and the other team has like 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

El Disco posted:

So in the Karlsruhe, I only got two citadel hits ever, both against carriers when specifically shooting at their engines. First game in the Konigsburg, 3 citadels. I would have gotten more if I hadn't spent most of that game blowing up destroyers. It sure feels nice having AP that can penetrate ships with more than 12mm of armor.

poo poo, I had shots BOUNCE off a CV in the Karlsruhe yesterday. That thing is the shittiest ship that ever did poo poo. It literally does nothing well. Hell, surviving long enough to even get into range of a CV in that boat was a minor miracle.

I ended up just torping that fucker. At least those work.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zotix posted:

Is matchmaker giving one team 6 players more than the other a common thing? Seriously what the gently caress goes wrong that one team gets like 7-8 players and the other team has like 14.

Did the lower number team have the halloween super ship?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I chastised a pubby for saying this the other day, but I'm actually starting to agree with him. He made the claim that the Colorado is better than the New Mexico. I dismissed him outright. I looked at his stats and mentioned he did better in his New Mexico.

Well, I skipped the first two hulls of the Colorado with free exp, and finally bought it. I swear the guns penetrate very easily. The accuracy is no where near as bad as I remember in closed beta. I think I'm averaging 80k damage a game in the thing. My win/loss is lower than my New Mexico (68%), but it's still respectable.

I know they buffed the ship, but I thought it only had to do with turn time of turrets? It seems like I penetrate and citadel things even when aiming poorly. Really enjoying the ship to the point where I think I'll sell my New Mexico and probably use the Colorado in ranked battles. I don't know if this is beginners luck or what. I've only put 30k exp into the ship, but it's been MUCH MUCH better than I remember it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I'm having a terrible time with the Cleveland. I know that everyone says its a good boat, and I can see that it technically is. However, at any range beyond 10km, I can't hit anything. I am having a lot of trouble adjusting to the fact that every shot you take has to travel all the way around the moon before ever so slowly come down on my target.

Someone, please tell me that the next few ships firing arcs have flatter trajectories. Lie if you have to.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Dalael posted:

I'm having a terrible time with the Cleveland. I know that everyone says its a good boat, and I can see that it technically is. However, at any range beyond 10km, I can't hit anything. I am having a lot of trouble adjusting to the fact that every shot you take has to travel all the way around the moon before ever so slowly come down on my target.

Someone, please tell me that the next few ships firing arcs have flatter trajectories. Lie if you have to.

They do get flatter in your next ship, unfortunately your next ship is also a giant citadel.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dalael posted:

No need to lie, the rest of the US cruisers have higher velocity 203mm guns.

Do be aware that the Pensacola is armored like an Omaha.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

jownzy posted:

They do get flatter in your next ship, unfortunately your next ship is also a giant citadel.
And then the next two ships after are terribly boring and offer nothing better than Mogami except AA :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The US cruiser line seems like a bit of a noob trap tbh :v:

You get great ships at tier 3, 4, 5 and 6, then nothing but boring mediocrity the rest of the way.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Agreed. I remember running up the US Cruiser line in CBT and the P-Cola, New Orleans, and Baltimore were all three ships of meh. Really, the only fun I had was murdering whole wings of aircraft and, but that isn't worth the grind post-launch.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

After watching Jingles and other people play this game i decided to give it a go, not dying too often so i'm enjoying it a lot. :)

Still in the starter class ships and haven't spent my credits or whatever on any upgrades; what should i be focusing on?

Not interested in paying real money for it at the moment.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

After watching Jingles and other people play this game i decided to give it a go, not dying too often so i'm enjoying it a lot. :)

Still in the starter class ships and haven't spent my credits or whatever on any upgrades; what should i be focusing on?

Not interested in paying real money for it at the moment.

Best way to start is to probably look at the official descriptions of the various classes and work towards what looks interesting to you for your first line. Battleships obviously to have the best armor, HP and highest caliber guns, but tend to be rather slow and ponderous. Cruisers are generally quite fast, along with having decently sized guns with relatively good rates of fire, but are rather susceptible to citadels, if you're careless, against those who know how to aim. Destroyers generally rely on staying hidden, as they'll die fast to anything once spotted, but pack large numbers of torpedoes which are the most damaging weapon in the game. Carriers are basically a whole different game entirely, and all I can say is that the only way to figure out if you like that playstyle or not is to try them out.

Some points of note between the various nations:
-IJN battleships tend to be significantly faster than their US counterparts at virtually every tier, but are slightly less armored. Their turning circles also tend to be slightly larger, so you need to be more on the nose regarding incoming torpedoes. They also tend to have longer range, but are not necessarily as accurate - especially as the US have early access to an accuracy boosting module.

-US ships in general tend to have floatier shells than their counterparts, with Germans in the middle and IJN tending to have the flattest shell trajectory, along with tending to have the longest travel time. Their are both advantages and disadvantages to this, as the extended travel time obviously gives ships more time to dodge if they're paying attention, but it's easier to utilize plunging fire. IJN cruisers especially have difficulty utilizing that since they tend to have extremely flat shell trajectory, but the decently faster travel time also gives people far less time to avoid the shots.

-US cruisers have multiple very good tiers early on, but the general consensus from T7+ is "Meh." They can do the job, but they're not exactly very exciting, supposedly. IJN cruisers tend to be okay at the lower tiers, but both good and fun at the higher tiers. Outside Pensacola, US cruisers tend to be slightly more armored, along with having smaller citadels and the best AA in the game, but tend to be slower in a straight line along with lacking torpedoes past T5.

-If you plan to play carriers up to T10, don't believe what WG claims regarding US and IJN carriers. While the "IJN is better in strike capacity, US is better at air superiority" is definitely true at the lowest tiers, and arguable at the middle tiers, at the very highest tiers they are completely reversed. Essex and Midway are far and away the best strike carriers at that level, while conversely Taiho and Hakuryu can do aerial superiority far better.

-Destroyers are by far the class that requires the most skill to be even remotely effective outside the lowest tiers, so be warned that the easy pickings at the lowest tiers do not stay true for a variety of reasons. As a whole, this is the class that most needs buffs(almost certainly to how torpedo detection works) outside the lowest tiers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Jesus christ I'm not enjoying the Nürenberg nearly as much as I thought. I get wrecked by anything that looks at me and it is far more likely to get uptiered than the Königsberg was it seems.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

......Good info..... :)

Thanks very much, no interest in the carriers as it looks like an RTS so i guess i will try out a little bit of everything and see what i can handle. :)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how WoWS is doing as far as a success (rev/# users)? My only anecdotal data points are wait times that seem to be increasing and that ranked battles seemed to be a bit of a bust. If my observations are close to correct, I wonder how they'll respond if users continue to go down so soon after launch.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

There's what, 15k users on at prime? What's the WoT prime count?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
tbh grinding USA line is just painful. Battleships at lower tiers are out-ranged and slow while higher tiers have high spread and slightly slow shell speed. Lower tier cruisers are fun to play but higher tiers become boring and garbage. And destroyers are basically pea shooters that rely on 4~6 127 mm to do anything. And there are only couple of ships past Tier 6 that are good enough to use.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Play with goons!
Join teamspeak, and gain access to a dizzying array of amazing features, such as... commentary on your death! Helpful advice on how to dodge torpedoes (after you've already been hit by them)! Heads up on enemy positions... it doesn't matter if they're halfway across the map and about to sink! Sarcastic remarks about your mother! Penis jokes! Anime!

And occasionally, you'll win a bunch!

No but really, play with people on TS, its a lot of fun and we need more big burly seamen to shoot hot loads with.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 4, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...So, just got out of a game in my Mogami. Killed three ships before taking an unfortunate revenge torpedo from the last one. And, as I'm experimenting with how well it can do outside HE spam, it was purely with AP, racking up 9 citadels between the Aoba and Atago I killed. Left the game with 2/3 caps under our control and the score 900 to ~500. Felt pretty good, before noticing with slight apprehension that both teams had lost three ships, which you may note as being the same number of ships I killed. Watched with growing horror as the team completely hosed up the almost certain win, managing only a single kill outside mine just before they lost.

Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed at the moment.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
A couple more weeks of busy season at work and I'll log in more regularly to shoot some hot loads together.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Warships is a fickle mistress. This morning I logged in before heading out to work and in my first battle in a Murmansk I was blown up in one salvo by a New York. Undeterred I queued up in a Minekaze and went on a 100+k damage rampage.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Dresden just shits out rounds doesn't it. I decided to give the german CR line a go last night, and that ship just outclasses all of the other ships in that bracket. Do German's keep the same consistency throughout the rest of the tiers or is that the golden point for them?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Zotix posted:

The Dresden just shits out rounds doesn't it. I decided to give the german CR line a go last night, and that ship just outclasses all of the other ships in that bracket. Do German's keep the same consistency throughout the rest of the tiers or is that the golden point for them?

making GBS threads out rounds doesnt help much when those rounds do nothing. 105mm tends to do nothing. German tiers 2-4 are worst in their respective tiers. Their tier 5 is arguably best in its tier.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
You can at least achieve a steady stream of damage with German 105mm HE, it's their AP that does nothing. Same story on the tier 4 despite getting 150mm guns, funnily enough.

Both guns are supposed to get buffed next patch.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Back in April all I used was AP. Now I'm using He in everything except battleships. I'm having a lot more success with He on CR

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So the final 0.5.1 patch notes are out. I didn't see anything earlier about this rather annoying AA change:

quote:

Two charges of Defensive Fire are available for all cruisers, except the USA, whose cruisers have three charges of this consumable, with Atlanta being the only exception that keeps the unlimited amount of charges for this consumable

I guess too many CV players were bitching about losing their precious planes? Also those of you who love the upper tier US cruisers, rejoice!

quote:

The armor plating of Baltimore and Des Moines has been thickened by 2mm

And these are all pretty good changes:

quote:

Russia:

Izyaslav: the ship has been given a designed speed of 35 knots (instead of 31.9)
Derzkiy: the ship has been given a designed speed of 34 knots (instead of 32.8)
Orlan: increased durability of main battery to the level of Hashidate
Kiev: replaced four AA batteries 12,7mm DShKM-2b for 25mm 2М-3: new guns work on a distance thrice as long, and are twice as powerful. This made for an AA integral characteristics increase of 6 points

Germany:

Dresden, Kolberg and Karsruhe AP shells have been recalculated, armor penetration has been increased
Hermelin central hull plate armor has been increased to 23mm; increased durability of main battery to the level of Hashidate
Karlsruhe: engine protection against HE shells improved threefold

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Killed half the other team with an Omaha :supaburn:

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Kuntz posted:

You can at least achieve a steady stream of damage with German 105mm HE, it's their AP that does nothing.

IDK I saw Kolberg land like 20 HE hits and do like 300 damage. Yes he was finishing up 300 HP Wyoming but still.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Kuntz posted:

You can at least achieve a steady stream of damage with German 105mm HE, it's their AP that does nothing. Same story on the tier 4 despite getting 150mm guns, funnily enough.

Both guns are supposed to get buffed next patch.

The 105 mm guns aren't that bad at tier 2. You can deal damage to tier ships at your tier and you don't see many battleships (and those you do see are tier 3s).
The problem is that the tier 3 has the same exact guns, and it sees battleships and St. Louēs in every match. You cannot win against a battleship or St. Louis in a Dresden or Kolberg, if the other player is controlling their ship.
Tier 4 is by far the worst though, it cannot citadel hit anything under normal circumstances (you can get random Myogi citadels, and I citadel hit a bot New York through the bow at 200 m a few times) and a Kolberg is better at the AP-through-fore/aft-hull technique. The torpedoes are something but you cannot sink a battleship even if you hit all four.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

quote:

US torpedo planes' launch zone for manual mode has been increased on the attack circle. This distance increases with the carrier's tier and plane speed. Due to this change, torpedo spreads are now wider. It will be harder to attack the enemy by dropping torpedoes right under the broadside of their ship. This change will most noticeably affect higher tier ships
I hope this is the change that guts the Midway, but we'll see.

quote:

Atago: rudder shift time has been shortened by 20%, and the Repair Party consumable has been added, which should correspond well with recent earnings increase on Atago herself and US ship Atlanta
Looking forward to this, didn't know they were upping the credit earnings on those ships too.

quote:

Aircraft torpedoes' chance of causing flooding has been reduced by approximately half
Fire will be more consistent then, for the DoT of choice when you have both options, especially against hostile CVs.

quote:

The damage that a higher-tier ship receives from flooding is no longer significantly less than the damage a lower tier ship
An excellent change. This mechanic was pretty dumb to begin with. I'm hoping for more changes to torpedo damage calculations, because the "increase in torpedo defense" as tiers rise is incredibly silly when coupled with increasing HP values and slower torpedo reload times. Torpedo damage only scales one way, torpedo defense scales two ways (HP + % damage taken).

quote:

Two charges of the Defensive AA Fire consumable are now available for cruisers of all nations, except USA whose cruisers have three charges of this consumable
Two charges of Hydroacoustic Search are available for all ships
Two charges of Defensive Fire are available for all cruisers, except the USA, whose cruisers have three charges of this consumable, with Atlanta being the only exception that keeps the unlimited amount of charges for this consumable
WHOA, I did not see this coming. I guess WG really wants to shoehorn people into Superintendent for the Rank 3 slot, huh? Nice to see the AA superiority emphasized on US ships, though. If they mean "all cruisers", I wonder if this means they'll be making it available on lower tiered CAs as well. I'd like to have seen Hydroacoustic Search get 3 charges on either the IJN or German boats, though, to push another "specialization" trend.

quote:

203mm AP shells fired by the main batteries of USA cruisers (except for the stock main battery of Pensacola) will enjoy better ricochet angles
May do well to increase the effectiveness of US CA AP shells.

A slew of buffs to US DDs is still welcome, and more nerfs to IJN TBs. An interesting patch, for sure. I really want to see what sort of missions they're going to be rolling out.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 5, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pacra posted:

Killed half the other team with an Omaha :supaburn:

Not bad! Looks like you did better with total damage than I did when I had my seven kill game.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just had this game

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Looking through the log, some good changes, some changes I don't really understand, and some changes I'm rather nervous about.

Some specific examples:

The Dogfighting skill changes seems rather odd, especially as it results in the weird edge case of the Hakuryu's stock fighters actually doing MORE damage than their upgraded counterparts, and a few other cases where they do roughly equivalent or very slightly lower damage. While the greater health probably serves as a counterbalance against other fighters, this does mean for doing bomber hunting it's actually somewhat better served not upgrading. And, on that note, it's literally a completely useless skill now for all fully upgraded T10 players, as opposed to just US ones. That said, the skill seems screwy in every incarnation, so I'm not even sure what they should be doing with it.

I'm somewhat confused as to what the hell "Implemented smooth movement of the torpedo bombers squadron's cone in automatic attack mode" means. But since I rarely do that, perhaps someone who actually uses it would understand.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If they do eventually go with that nerf to AFT, it would kinda make secondary upgrades for IJN Battleships a lot lamer.

Ive got both BB lines up to Tier 6. I think I would like the North Carolina and Iowa more than their Japanese counterparts, but also I think the Yamato is cooler than the Montana. Keeping a big pile of spacebucks on hand for the Zao is still my priority, so I probably won't be moving up anytime soon. Originally I was planning to burn some gold and skip the Colorado, but now im not so sure. I may push up the Russian DD line until the Kiev because that seems to be a high point.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

If they do eventually go with that nerf to AFT, it would kinda make secondary upgrades for IJN Battleships a lot lamer.

I don't see it in the 0.5.1 patch notes, so at least it's not getting nerfed this time.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
AFT nerf was included in Asia server patch note (155 -> 139 mm) but was deleted later. In fact whole notes regarding captain skills change were deleted.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Didn't think I'd get the hang of DDs but,

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This thread got pretty confusing until I realised the default avatar had changed.

It's nice the low tier German ships get a buff, although I can't help being somewhat salty as I just finished grinding the Karlsruhe.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I didn't even notice that Garbage Dick was replaced by Bonzi Buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
The ship titles in the port are now yelled at you.