Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I've pulled the trigger on the military food thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750036

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

diabeetz posted:

A Collection of Ideal Combinations

Sushi Parfait

So a completely normal salad in a plastic cup...?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Xoidanor posted:

So a completely normal salad in a plastic cup...?

I'm not sure how many salads you've eaten have rice in them, but otherwise yeah

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Subjunctive posted:

I am 100% certain that you have the wrong thread.
Definitely the right thread, that bacon pie looks like someone decided that there was too much distance between Taco Bell crunch wraps and heart disease.

NotAnArtist posted:

What, a salad can have beans and corn and croutons, but not rice? :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

Wow, I can't actually think of a single time.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
That sushi parfait looks amazing and if my local sushi place sold them I'd have one for lunch every day.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Add me to the list that would like to try a Sushi parfait.

As long as I get to drizzle it with Soy Sauce.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The White Dragon posted:

Definitely the right thread, that bacon pie looks like someone decided that there was too much distance between Taco Bell crunch wraps and heart disease.

That was the least greasy presentation of bacon ever. If they soaked it a bit to cut down on salt, I mean goddamn.

Not healthy, for sure, but lookin' good my man, lookin' real good.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I would eat like five of those shits. Wrong thread for sure.

Edit: vvv tastes like a California roll. Same reason you don't put cave aged Gruyere on a McDonald's double cheeseburger.

Avocado, cucumber, maybe carrot, and surimi based crab product. Wrap in nori and rice dusted with sesame seeds. Real crab is better taste-wise but is inarguably a different thing.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Nov 5, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Would eat the parfait but I still don't understand people's obsession with imitation crab meat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AnonSpore posted:

Would eat the parfait but I still don't understand people's obsession with imitation crab meat

Tastes kinda like crab, costs like lowest-bidder fish.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

NotAnArtist posted:

Salads with rice (or pasta like farfalles or pene) is pretty common in France, usually with diced ham, chicken, surimi or tuna, tomatoes, red/green peppers, cucumbers, loose corn, maybe some olives, a little vinaigrette or (real) mayonnaise. You should try sometimes

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

NotAnArtist posted:

Rice salad isn't a thing in :canada: ? There are like ten recipes for it in The Joy of Cooking. Like pasta salad, only with rice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Zanael posted:

Salads with rice (or pasta like farfalles or pene) is pretty common in France, usually with diced ham, chicken, surimi or tuna, tomatoes, red/green peppers, cucumbers, loose corn, maybe some olives, a little vinaigrette or (real) mayonnaise. You should try sometimes

A tahini dressing would be really nice on that salad.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A tahini dressing would be really nice on that salad.

:fap: stop it you dirty whore.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't eat a rice salad, I've just never heard of such is all.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I am so appalled at the support for a cup of deconstructed sushi meant to be eaten with a spoon.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

diabeetz posted:

I am so appalled at the support for a cup of deconstructed sushi meant to be eaten with a spoon.
Dumping ingredients in a cup is not deconstructing them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:smith:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Hey look a deconstructed thanksgiving made of sadness

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:ohdear: Is that mold or potatoes?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cash crab posted:

Pretty sure, yeah.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The army ration dude on youtube had more appetizing meals.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

cash crab posted:

I think it's just a sad starch puddle.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

diabeetz posted:

Surely you'd eat it with chopsticks?

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009
Wanna get my place done up with meat carpet.

Goes wonderfully with the meat curtains

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

cash crab posted:

Warm

loose

corn

form
the corn
form form
the corn
https://youtu.be/MFmr_TZLpS0 safe for work

Also, please start some threads about First Nations and/or Inuit and/or Metis and/or Louis Riel and/or Cree Summer history.

EDIT: For crying out loud, children! Deconstructed sushi IS A THING, but not in a plastic cup. Meet chirashizushi:

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Nov 5, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty sure, yeah.

Nice

bringmyfishback posted:

form
the corn
form form
the corn
safe for work

Also, please start some threads about First Nations and/or Inuit and/or Metis and/or Louis Riel and/or Cree Summer history.

I want this lady to be my mom

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zanael posted:

I thought that was fried rice :v:

I was imagining something more along the lines of mostly greens, maybe some wild rice on top as the starch.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

I thought that was fried rice :v:

I was imagining something more along the lines of mostly greens, maybe some wild rice on top as the starch.
Yeah, that's not a salad. Rice with a bunch of poo poo in it is rice. Pasta with a bunch of poo poo in it is pasta. Potatoes bukakke'ed in miracle whip is horse food trash.

Can salads just be lettuce and poo poo for a minute?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

cash crab posted:

Nice

I want this lady to be my mom

She would sing you a special raccoon-only version:

form the banana
peel the banana
eat the peel

She would treat you so good, man. Dr. Jean treats us all so drat good. Guac guac a moLE!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wash
the candy
cot cotton candy

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Cooking difficulty also varies depending on exactly what you're doing. It's really easy to brown hamburger or some inexpensive steaks in a frying pan (many a day in high school I just browned some beef, chopped it up, and put it over rice with soy sauce). Then I tried to cook mako and it cooks through totally differently and requires much more care.

Making any steaks in a frying pan, but let especially tough fatty ones, is gonna smoke the hell out of your house. Even if you're super careful and don't care about charing the outer surface and you cook it on medium there's gonna be a decent layer of smoke

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gonna be honest, I have no idea what this is. And whoever I showed it to thought it was eldrich in nature, or had something to do with Tasha Yar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eponine posted:

People who make a big deal about "when I cook" kind of mystify me. What do you eat the nights that you don't Instagram your food? Are you the person in front of me at the grocery store with a cart full of Lean Cuisines? I will cop to having instagrammed a meal or two when I'm especially proud of something. But I also cook dinner pretty much every night.
The only person I've known who'd go on about how great a cook he was ate takeaway almost every night. Pizza places here tend to sell stuff like steaks, seafood, pasta, risotto, etc. so it's not like he was eating pizza and hamburgers every day, but it probably had something to do with why he made such a big deal about cooking.

Brawnfire posted:

Going to someone's house for dinner and they start doing prep when you arrive.

My wife and I used to have a friend that would do this. We'd go to her house and she'd start cutting vegetables, cutting meat, making dough etc. Was she just sitting there waiting for us to arrive before that?

I like to have everything as close to done as possible when people show up. Cook as many parts as can be pre-cooked, pre-cut everything. And for the love of god, don't make dough right before you make a pizza, it'll probably just taste like flour.
When I invite people for dinner I do the prep after they arrive. So do most people I know. I guess if your kitchen is a totally separate room to the livingroom then it might be a bit awkward, but most houses aren't like that.

Zanael posted:

This is the exact thing I thought of when rice salads were mentioned.

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, that's not a salad. Rice with a bunch of poo poo in it is rice. Pasta with a bunch of poo poo in it is pasta.
If it's served cold, it's salad.

But really it's all stew, we've been over this.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Gonna be honest, I have no idea what this is. And whoever I showed it to thought it was eldrich in nature, or had something to do with Tasha Yar.
Jam?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

posting masaokis is cheating

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Looks like someone was trying to make candy and the sugar overboiled.

Also everything is in japanese so it makes it a little funnier to me somehow.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

:smith: The really sad part here is, I know the brand of that frozen atrocity.

It's Banquet, isn't it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

If it's served cold, it's salad.

But really it's all stew, we've been over this.

If it contains carbohydrates then clearly it is a deconstructed sandwich. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

NotAnArtist posted:

orzo salads are pasta salads pretending to be rice salads:

• Locked thread