Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

It looks like he was up to a bit more than getting fitted up with a dime bag of weed http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cameron-gun-teenager-behind-bars-984726
Looks like I misremembered. I was sure he was the subject of a cannabis related arrest a matter of days after the hand sign thing too though v:shobon:v

that article posted:

United States of Wythenshawe
This is the dumbest name.

e: Quick googling and apparently it's the 'United Estates of Wythenshawe', which makes a lot more sense.

1927 - The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland changes its name, stops recognizing the Soviet Union.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder why his guru told him to hop on board the drug reform train. It must be an encouraging sign that someone high up thought that would make for a good party leader gambit, even if it was all a fake.
Wasn't he hugging 'hoodies' before huskies too?

Every adviser and scientist involved with drugs policy has been saying the same thing for roughly 15 years. It's why David Nutt broke ranks and got dropped. Technically it's a free lunch but nobody dares do it - they just get the same message from their advisers over and over, nod and smile then continue doing exactly the same thing.

Cameron's adviser in this case was Steve Hilton, by the way - although he started in the Cons (he came up with demon eyes in 1997) he was relatively hippyish, and ended up abandoning them and wrote a book about how large banks and factory farms are evil, and small scale human organisations are better. If things had gone a little differently there is a chance David Cameron might have ended up pushing through a lot of Hilton-inspired environmental legislation.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

It's like that old joke - no matter who is in power you always have the Daily Mail as your drugs secretary. We'll never get a sensible drugs policy pushed through the tabloid hysteria unless it was preceded by the government coming down hard on middle class drugs use.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The nice chaps at the Resolution Foundation have found some ways for Gideon to stick to his fiscal charter without cutting tax credits: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/05/george-osborne-can-find-44bn-without-cutting-tax-credits-says-thinktank?CMP=share_btn_tw

quote:

The report says the reduction in the earnings level at which tax credit entitlements start to be tapered away – set to save £4.4bn by 2020 – should not go ahead. The foundation says pushing ahead with this change, even on a revised timetable, would be a mistake, particularly when the same savings can be made elsewhere.
The report sets out alternative ways to raise the necessary £4.4bn:
  • Increasing the personal allowance in line with inflation, rather than accelerating it towards £12,500, raising £4.9bn by 2020.
  • Increasing the basic rate of income tax limit to rise in line with inflation, rather than accelerating it so the higher rate threshold reaches £50,000, saving £1.3bn by 2020.
  • Reversing the increase in the inheritance tax threshold and cuts to corporation tax saving £3.4bn by 2020.
  • Scaling back the over-indexation above earnings of the state pension from the last parliament by limiting pension rises in this parliament, saving about £6bn.
  • Returning spending on tax reliefs to 2010 levels by 2020 – and thereby reducing the UK’s current £100bn spend on about 1,000 different reliefs, which would save about £10bn.
The foundation notes that the first two income tax pledges, for which more than four-fifths of the gains go to the richest half of households, are set to cost roughly £6.2bn, and it would be possible for the government to temper these. The move would also provide more support for those on low to middle incomes and help around 1.8 million low earners who pay national insurance but not income tax. This approach would be significantly less damaging to work incentives than taking more money out of universal credit.
Hmmm, cancel a dumb tax cut that is basically a (tiny) gift to everyone earning less than £120k per annum, most of whom aren't particularly poor, or remove financial support for some of the least well-off people in the country. What to do, what to do...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think you'll find that those wealthy tax breaks make for a STRONG ECONOMY and that's what will help poor people

STRONG ECONOMY

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Honestly, I'm just impressed that they were able to design a tax cut "for the poor" that is really expensive and gives no benefit to someone earning £10k per annum but pays out in full to someone earning £100k. Good moves.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

People were camping out in the street in the early hours of Thursday morning – some since the day before – in order to be first in line to purchase studio flats in a west London complex for £199,000.

Because they are being built under government rules allowing a change of use from offices to residential, Galliard has not had to provide any social housing on the site.
Graun.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm so tired.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm so tired.

But did you at least get a nice flat?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

But did you at least get a nice flat?
Oh i didn't camp out, I sent my man to do that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

Honestly, I'm just impressed that they were able to design a tax cut "for the poor" that is really expensive and gives no benefit to someone earning £10k per annum but pays out in full to someone earning £100k. Good moves.

Well that's always been the case with the personal allowance. Any increase to that only benefits people earning above the current limit, and benefits those earning above the new limit the most. I mean in relative terms an extra £200 or whatever will mean more to someone earning 11K than someone on 110K, but it's still the same amount going to both people

That's the 'funny' thing really, tax credits are a way to boost lower incomes without giving the same unnecessary benefit to people with higher incomes. They basically solve the same problem as raising the personal allowance, except in a targetted way. The tories are using some stupid administrative argument ("it's silly to tax people and then give them the money back!" - nobody cares) to open the relief up to people who don't need it, and reducing the amount people get. And wealthier people get their own special tax breaks just for them on top of that

Call me cynical but I don't see any signs of incompetence here

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

baka kaba posted:

Well that's always been the case with the personal allowance. Any increase to that only benefits people earning above the current limit, and benefits those earning above the new limit the most. I mean in relative terms an extra £200 or whatever will mean more to someone earning 11K than someone on 110K, but it's still the same amount going to both people

That's the 'funny' thing really, tax credits are a way to boost lower incomes without giving the same unnecessary benefit to people with higher incomes. They basically solve the same problem as raising the personal allowance, except in a targetted way. The tories are using some stupid administrative argument ("it's silly to tax people and then give them the money back!" - nobody cares) to open the relief up to people who don't need it, and reducing the amount people get. And wealthier people get their own special tax breaks just for them on top of that

Call me cynical but I don't see any signs of incompetence here

How else are we going to get a STRONG ECONOMY if we don't give more money to WEALTH CREATORS. Sounds like you haven't heard of the #LongTermEconomicPlan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's amazing how much you can get away with failing to do anything by just saying "oh it's a long term plan" - that's fantastic mate but can it come to fruition at some point within our lifetimes.

I hope that when the inevitable economic crash comes Labour just constantly go "nice plan, Gidiot."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's amazing how much you can get away with failing to do anything by just saying "oh it's a long term plan" - that's fantastic mate but can it come to fruition at some point within our lifetimes.

To be honest I'd prefer if it didn't, thanks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Oh i didn't camp out, I sent my man to do that.
How is His Grace nowadays?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is this politics or do you think it's real?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/05/egypt-bomb-fears-leave-thousands-stranded-in-sharm-el-sheikh-live-updates

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

To be honest I'd prefer if it didn't, thanks.

No need to worry because there isn't actually a plan, and that's the point. By saying it's 'long term' he can literally sit on his hands while the economy recovers itself at a snail's pace. All he has to do is wait for something to solve the problem for him then take credit. Which is why the inevitable economic crash, while horrific, will at least lead to some schadenfreude against Gidiot's smug attempts at looking economically competent.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Feels like it's stating the obvious to say 'it's possible there was a bomb', and there's always something political in moves like these. The trouble with crying wolf on :negative: TEH TEROR all the time is it makes people less inclined to believe they know anything at all

Funny that they'd strand so many tourists in a TERROR HOTSPOT though, especially after that gunman on the beach

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Manufacturing a terrorism crisis to distract from tax credits.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Phoon posted:

Manufacturing a terrorism crisis to distract from tax credits.

Maybe they should rebrand them as Terror Credits for the next push

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Feels like it's stating the obvious to say 'it's possible there was a bomb', and there's always something political in moves like these. The trouble with crying wolf on :negative: TEH TEROR all the time is it makes people less inclined to believe they know anything at all

Funny that they'd strand so many tourists in a TERROR HOTSPOT though, especially after that gunman on the beach

Their lives only matter once they've lost them.

More seriously apparently Britain is planning on sending 'recovery mission' flights to pick them up, according to one report (which may or may not be bollocks).

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm back from London and I'm happy to report a few coppers got pelted, the Guardian picked up on our "David Cameron hosed a pig" chant, pig loving was a big theme, and in conclusion fees, tories and coppers are all bad.

Oh and in case you see the bullshit statement, they were ABSOLUTELY kettling people, mates of mine got caught in it and one was arrested. ACAB.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lol.

Walter Bartellot, 1888 posted:

My Dear Duke, I cannot thank you sufficiently for your most kind letter with regard to the death of my dearest son [Edmund Barttelot]; and Lady Barttelot and I feel very much your kind sympathy. He was indeed as brave, true, honest and affectionate a son as could be found and desired humbly but determinately to do his duty. I had hoped that he might have done still greater service for his Queen and his Country.

quote:

Stanley received reports about Barttelot's behaviour from other officers. One, William Bonny, said that "the least thing caused the Major to behave like a fiend" and that he would repeatedly stab African workers with a steel-pointed cane.[1] Another said that the Major "had an intense hatred of anything in the shape of a black man".[1] A 13-year-old boy named Sudi had been beaten and kicked by him. Stanley nursed the injured Sudi, who died six weeks after Stanley returned. Furious, Stanley mainly blamed Barttelot for the failure of the Rear Column, though he also criticised the other officers for allowing him to "kick, strike and slay human beings".[1]

Major Barttelot promptly lost his mind. He sent Stanley's personal baggage down the river. He dispatched another officer on a bizarre three-thousand-mile three-month round trip to the nearest telegraph station to send a senseless telegram to England. He next decided that he was being poisoned, and saw traitors on all sides. He had one of his porters lashed three-hundred times (which proved fatal). He jabbed at Africans with a steel-tipped cane, ordered several dozen people put in chains, and bit a village woman. After trying to interfere with a native festival, an African shot and killed Barttelot before he could do more.[3]

quote:

There have been many proposed sources for the character of the antagonist, Kurtz. Georges-Antoine Klein, an agent who became ill and later died aboard Conrad's steamer, has been identified by scholars and literary critics as one basis for Kurtz. The principal figures involved in the disastrous "rear column" of the Emin Pasha Relief Expedition, have also been identified as likely sources, including column leader Edmund Musgrave Barttelot, slave trader Tippu Tip and the expedition's overall leader, Welsh explorer Henry Morton Stanley.[6][7]
Just loving lol.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Oberleutnant posted:

lol.

Just loving lol.
Whats this about then?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Good isn't it. Flightradar is well-known, and there's a similar service for ships:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-0/centery:51/zoom:7

That link should be centred on the, frankly alarming, English Channel.

rogue landboats

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Last I heard they stopped doing those in Liverpool after one of them nearly sank. :(

e:

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats this about then?
Dear charming brave child actually psychopathic racist, parents bad at judging own kids, eat the rich, I guess?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats this about then?

I just looked up that family and from what I can tell every man for four generations served in the military and all bar one of them died in action. I always thought the family business of dying gloriously thing was a joke about the upper classes but I guess not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Last I heard they stopped doing those in Liverpool after one of them nearly sank. :(

e:

Dear charming brave child actually psychopathic racist, parents bad at judging own kids, eat the rich, I guess?

Or parent is fully down with the psychopathic racism because Africans aren't really people doncherknow.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats this about then?
A fine example of our colonial past.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Or parent is fully down with the psychopathic racism because Africans aren't really people doncherknow.
He had to defend himself from those violent Africans. Suspiciously often.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I just looked up that family and from what I can tell every man for four generations served in the military and all bar one of them died in action. I always thought the family business of dying gloriously thing was a joke about the upper classes but I guess not.

It was very much the done thing. Got some other letters from a family in which 5 consecutive generations lost life or limb in India or Africa. I think that if you gathered up all the blown off bits you could assemble a new, complete person out of them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34723515

binge-watch (verb): to watch a large number of television programmes (especially all the shows from one series) in succession

clean eating (noun): following a diet that contains only natural foods, and is low in sugar, salt, and fat

contactless (adjective): referring to payments, smart cards, etc that utilize RFID (radio-frequency identity)
technology and do not require a PIN or signature from the customer

Corbynomics (noun): the economic policies advocated by the UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn

dadbod (noun): an untoned and slightly plump male physique, especially one considered attractive

ghosting (noun): ending a relationship by ignoring all communication from the other person

manspreading (noun): the act or an instance of a male passenger in a bus or train splaying his legs in a way that denies space to the passenger sitting next to him

shaming (noun): attempting to embarrass a person or group by drawing attention to their perceived offence, especially on social media

swipe (verb): to move a finger across a touchscreen on a mobile phone in order to approve (swipe right) or dismiss (swipe left) an image

transgender (adjective): of or relating to a person whose gender identity does not fully correspond to the sex assigned to them at birth

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

A fine example of our colonial past.

Holy poo poo, I was reading that thinking uhhh this sounds like Heart of Darkness and then you follow up with that last bit

I'm gonna imagine that guy shooting him in the style of Indiana Jones

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

clean eating (noun): following a diet that contains only natural foods, and is low in sugar, salt, and fat
These people are the worst and should all be fed organic GMO-free amaninamide.

quote:

transgender (adjective): of or relating to a person whose gender identity does not fully correspond to the sex assigned to them at birth
I thought trans- was for 'opposite of', and -fluid was for 'not fully corresponding with'?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

These people are the worst and should all be fed organic GMO-free amaninamide.

I thought trans- was for 'opposite of', and -fluid was for 'not fully corresponding with'?

Other-side-of, I think. Think transalpine/cisalpine for roman gaul.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
After googling I just found out that "In nature, unsaturated fatty acids generally have cis as opposed to trans configurations". That just sounds weird.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Other-side-of, I think. Think transalpine/cisalpine for roman gaul.
I was thinking more in terms of gender without implying that there was a gender binary.

Although the technical meaning sometimes works too, the space between Transkei and Ciskei is fluid :haw:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Transgender wasn't already a word??

And ghosting, shaming and manspreading are verbs :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't grammarshame (adj.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jippa posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34723515

binge-watch (verb): to watch a large number of television programmes (especially all the shows from one series) in succession

I think this one is silly because both of those words already exist. In fact I don't see it very often with a hyphen anyway.
Why bother putting it in the dictionary when people understand both words in the context?

• Locked thread