Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Red posted:

This week's event is:

So I'm assuming everyone is loading up on either A.) Stealth, B.) Hypersonic, or C.) A mix of both. Still, I think I'd rather just play a team for fun, and not care about winning.

How does this look?:

- DoFP Nightcrawler @80
- FL Midnighter @125
- AvAs Night Thrasher @90
- DP Shroud @99
Total: 394

If you expect hypersonic, you troll that event with Turtle. It's your duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Morand posted:

If you expect hypersonic, you troll that event with Turtle. It's your duty.

You know, I thought about that.

- FL Turtle @50
- FL Midnighter @100
- NF Torso @10 (for Midnighter)
- AoU Black Panther @140
- FI018 Iron Fist @94
Total: 394

Edit: After typing this out, this doesn't feel so dickish. Iron Fist can start off the game dropping off Midnighter on top of the torso, and nobody gets a token from Turtle.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 28, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

Suicide Squad OP kit is up!
I love how Waller's trait is basically your characters panicking as they keep loving up because Waller's gonna explode their heads.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Are there any sculpt images? I don't want shitface New 52 stupid loving boring Deadshot.

I want mustachio'd chain-smoking "who cares" Floyd Lawton.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Extreme Heroclix?: https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/659448226332942337

I don't want DVDs, and the out-of-scale figures seem kind of odd, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
NECA does regular toys too.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

NECA does regular toys too.

The movie based ones are action figures, but apparently, the comic Superman and Batman are really, really big Clix.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The movie based ones are action figures, but apparently, the comic Superman and Batman are really, really big Clix.
Well, that's odd.

Also the only decent Superman in this set is the LE.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

So how'd the pre-releases do for attendance for everybody? We had 10 people show to ours, which is the most ever gotten outside of a SLOP or special event. Our last three new set sealed games didn't even get 6 so this was definitely a success, even with the higher price point.

That said, ther last two weeks beforehand have had zero people show up. In almost a year of judging that's a first, there's always been at least two, and I'm not sure what if anything to do to help shore up numbers. The players complain about wanting free games but only come to the pay-to-play events, and their reasons for not making it for any particular Sunday ring hollow when they haven't been there in months.

It's frustrating because as we've been doing the special events I've been getting flak from the shop about how expensive 'clix is getting for them without better weekly showings, but I'm not sure how or even if I can turn that around. Not to mention there's the ever-looming threat of Magic gobbling up a flagging Sunday spot, since the Magic base is crazy big and guaranteed attendance and income.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Sanschel posted:

So how'd the pre-releases do for attendance for everybody? We had 10 people show to ours, which is the most ever gotten outside of a SLOP or special event. Our last three new set sealed games didn't even get 6 so this was definitely a success, even with the higher price point.
That said, ther last two weeks beforehand have had zero people show up. In almost a year of judging that's a first, there's always been at least two, and I'm not sure what if anything to do to help shore up numbers. The players complain about wanting free games but only come to the pay-to-play events, and their reasons for not making it for any particular Sunday ring hollow when they haven't been there in months.

It's frustrating because as we've been doing the special events I've been getting flak from the shop about how expensive 'clix is getting for them without better weekly showings, but I'm not sure how or even if I can turn that around. Not to mention there's the ever-looming threat of Magic gobbling up a flagging Sunday spot, since the Magic base is crazy big and guaranteed attendance and income.

I think you need to have a frank discussion with the players about this. If they're not interested in showing up they certainly don't have any obligation to, but they need to understand that it sounds like your shop may tank the Clix events due to expense coupled with lack of return on that expense. Also find out honestly WHY they aren't coming. What have you been running as the format for free games?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Steve Vader posted:

Are there any sculpt images? I don't want shitface New 52 stupid loving boring Deadshot.

I want mustachio'd chain-smoking "who cares" Floyd Lawton.

It looks sorta a Batman sculpt, he's standing on a rooftop or gargoyle but hefting a massive M-60 style machinegun. He's wearing the classic Deadshot costume as far as I can tell.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sanschel posted:

A shop near me that's never drawn well for Heroclix is doing great all of a sudden with:

- Guaranteed prizes for whomever shows up (they have a huge backlog of LE stuff)
- A two-booster sealed format once a month
- Advertising events way in advance on WES
- Start times of 7pm on Wednesday

I know for me, doing Heroclix on the weekend is a no-go, because it just takes up a big chunk of the day, and I'd rather do stuff with friends/family. A weeknight is a lot easier. Maybe it's worth asking the players what time slot(s) work for them.

I know, as a player, there are formats and themes I'd like to see - why not see if having a player-voted format for one event improves attendance?

Lastly, I'd also say it's worth having some sort of incentive for attendance - if a player attends all four events in one month, they receive points or a prize or something. If you go with points, perhaps hold a yearly tournament or something that's only open to people with "points", or people with those points get a price discount on buy-in to a sealed tournament or something.

(Edit: To answer your question, we had 8 people at the SM/WW pre-release, which is good, but not quite as good as the AoU OP event.)

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

thebardyspoon posted:

It looks sorta a Batman sculpt, he's standing on a rooftop or gargoyle but hefting a massive M-60 style machinegun. He's wearing the classic Deadshot costume as far as I can tell.

Just saw a picture with the massive dumb shoulderpads - that's New 52 Floyd. Guess I'll be popping him off and putting on a more classic version.

And one of the venues I play now lets whoever wins Fellowship decide the next game. It's kind of interesting that way.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
CSI sent out an email today cancelling all their SWMM pre-orders due to supply cuts from WK. Said they're gonna have ~10% of what they normally get in blind product. Bad move to pull this a week before the set drops.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The reasoning for players not showing up is pretty varied; some routinely stop attending in fall/winter because of football (Seahawks play on Sunday more often than not), a few have regular obligations around the time of the game, some are unable to make it reliably as they can't drive and thus only make the effort to secure transport for the big events, and there's a few stragglers whose appearances are sporadic at best. With about half of the local community having left the game over the last two years, that doesn't leave many people willing and able to attend.

Sadly Sunday is about the only day I can make it out to judge; I work during the days and the store closes at 8 (except for Friday Night Magic) which isn't enough time to get a 3 hour tournament in and have people make it after work (the Tuesday games at another shop are 6-9 and people can just barely make it there on time thanks to traffic). My girlfriend would kill me if I scheduled Saturday, so I'm stuck with Sunday.

I've been scheduling games of varying complexity; I usually try to stick with just build restrictions rather than alternate win conditions, as nobody shows up to the latter type of events (even at the Tuesday games, which regularly get 6-8 players, will get maybe 3 people for those). I'm always taking suggestions for formats from players as it makes my job a little easier, and there's actually a policy at the shop that you can play in any standard tournament by eschewing the format and just buying two boosters and you get a 10% bonus on your build total for the day, which worked to get people on briefly when instituted around Trinity War.

I'd love to just give out prizes to everybody who shows up, we have more than enough crap from WoL and op kits and special events that we could do it for a long while, but the store is kind of stingy about prizes. It was a fight just to have them start ordering the monthly OP kits and not have a buy-in on the regular games, even with the optional booster draft bringing in more money on a regular basis. I've been informed a lot that all the other games with prizes have buy-ins so why shouldn't heroclix, and I've rebutted that every time that that would smother the last vestiges of this community (the last shop with a fee to play clix stopped selling clix a month after instituting that policy).

zgrowler2 posted:

CSI sent out an email today cancelling all their SWMM pre-orders due to supply cuts from WK. Said they're gonna have ~10% of what they normally get in blind product. Bad move to pull this a week before the set drops.
This was the capper on a lovely day. I scrambled to order from Hill's Wholesale, I'm crossing my fingers they aren't shafted by this allotment crap too.

I've had that order for months and sold a huge chunk of figures to CSI just so I could afford a case, it's horseshit that WizKids forced them to cancel orders this close to the shipping date.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

Thursday is 600 points Halloween. You need to have some sort of Halloween theme. If the judge likes your team you get non generic theme bonuses. If he doesn't then you won't even if you have a keyword theme.

I've decided to do tricksters with a bag of treats

AA Loki at 225 with Asgardian ATA
New Mytzylpyk or however you spell him
Impossible Man Con
Bat-Mite
FL 013 Trickster
Uru Forge (Bag of treats)

I kind of wonder if I have created a monster for a fun event. Thoughts?

Ended up running this but I had to borrow the Impossible Man and Bat-Mite as they'd both been sacrificed to the great chimney God. The last game of the day. I've never loving laughed harder in my life.

Round 1 I had the bye and the Judge and I played a fun round of Boss Monster.

Round 2 versus "A team of character all inspired by Edgar Allen Poe"

Pied Piper
Bookkeeper
Solstice
Black Cat
Some Yugioh elf?
A Yugioh bird with HSS, precision and willpower. It was the Raven. gently caress that bird so much.
Sleepwalker
Carrion

I lost map roll and got tossed on the garden from the IG Mixy rolled a 1 for his odds trait. I moved up into a stealth wall and dropped Loki on the forge. He carefully moved down. I pushed Loki to pick up the forge successfully and chose +3 range. Kept outwitting RS on solstice. Mixy danced. He cleared and so did I.

Lots of positioning for most of the game, with Loki taking big shots. Mixy ended up pushing to click 2 and pulsed his whole team a few times, giving me ample time to set up. Lost bat mite because of that drat bird and the bookcase but I got most of his team when time was called. I used Mixy to force a crit miss which was super fun.

Round 3 versus a team that the judge denied theme benefits to.

Zombie Gladiator with Adara
Zombie Magneto
Zombie Super Skrull
Green Battery with spotlight, mallet, and bulldozer and Star Sapphire ring

Someone decided to troll the event. He'd stomped his first 2 opponents pretty effortlessly.

I won map and tossed us on the House of Mystery from DC. I wanted walls to deny him the ability to just spam RS/PW like he had his first 2 games. Mixy rolled a 4 on his odds dice.

First few turns were slow. I moved up carefully, he dropped constructs on everyone. Eventually he moved gladiator into a room on elevation 2 declaring prob and +1 speed as his entity things and I decided to Gamble. Moved up impossible man and rolled for everything goes haywire. I rolled light blue, goodbye powers and TA's on Gladiator. Perplexed Loki to a 5 and Bat-Mite did a big move to be near gladiator. Rolled a 4 and Loki came up. We decided he still had prob and shape change since it was a can use and impy said counter. He rolled a 5 for shape change, I evened the odds and made it a 4. Hit him for 5. Next turn he TK'd out Super Skrull and tried to TK Loki but I hit my shape change. He moved my trickster instead and I took 1. Super Skrull chose perplex RS pulse and invincible and did 5 to impossible man. Not enough to kill him though. He cleared gladiator. Impy rolled for haywire yet again, hit green which matched the super strength of Gladiator. He missed shape change and I psyblasted him as he'd taken Invuln for 4, KOing him.

From here, Super Skrull took over the game. I lost Impy, Bat-Mite, and Loki. All came back as zombies all had 2 clicks of life when they did but Loki regenerated for 4. Things weren't looking so good and time was running down. Mixy had pushed to click 2 earlier though as I was fairly sure my opponent would underestimate the havoc I could cause. I did a RS/PW and hit everyone. 2 tokens and they all push. He moves via sidesteps and perplexes me but I pulse again as time is called nailing everyone and KOing my own Impy and Bat-Mite giving me a narrow win on points.

I have never seen such passive aggression after that game.'"You only won on time, I had you beat." And so on. So my trickster team won a game in which it was horribly outclassed through tricks and a technicality? PERFECT TRICKSTER WIN.

I have never laughed harder then when he left at how bitter he was when he couldn't troll the fun event. So. loving. Awesome.

Morand fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 31, 2015

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Tomorrow I might make a venue I don't usually play at because, having a kid and it being Haloween, Saturday's usual game night is a bust for me. It's 400 at what's essentially Golden but feats can only go on pre-card figures. Because of the Black Hand I got last weekend I'm tempted to use it to Possess the chase Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon to make that thing significantly more useful, even moreso with the Black Battery boosting its stats. This is the build I'm thinking of running. Lian Harper gets the Catapult to A) sling BEUD around and B) be an attack-wasting target. I use the Spotlight instead of the Decoy because BEUD will have a 20 Defense and the Spotlight would let it foil Stealth.
pre:
YGO2019	Blue-Eyes Ultimate	350
	Dragon
WOL060	Black Hand		25
WOLR108	Black Battery		2
	Black Ring		6
	Spotlight		6
	Catapult		10
ICOB006	Lian Harper		1

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Sanschel posted:

I'd love to just give out prizes to everybody who shows up, we have more than enough crap from WoL and op kits and special events that we could do it for a long while, but the store is kind of stingy about prizes. It was a fight just to have them start ordering the monthly OP kits and not have a buy-in on the regular games, even with the optional booster draft bringing in more money on a regular basis. I've been informed a lot that all the other games with prizes have buy-ins so why shouldn't heroclix, and I've rebutted that every time that that would smother the last vestiges of this community (the last shop with a fee to play clix stopped selling clix a month after instituting that policy).
Yeah, so, you're basically describing the venue I judged at almost word for word. Here's the sad answer: You can't save it. You can either let it bleed out or just pick a nice end date and see how many LEs you can walk out with without the owner bitching at you because he wants to sell them on eBay.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

There is a local place that charges each player $1 each time a prize is available. It's not hurt them overall and keeps the store happy.

A thought. Andy and I both judged at the store he's mentioning. One extra factor though was the very rude staff working who drove away players and gave the store a bad reputation. Once that damage was done, double prizes couldn't get people to show. I got really burnt out dealing with this to the point that I quit. That opened up the owners eyes to the state of things and atmosphere-wise it improved but again it was too late. Plug pulled at WOL finale when only 3 people showed.

If your store already has a reputation for one reason or another then it may be hard to get some people in. Try to work with the store to do a demonstration day. Play a quick game, learn the basic get to enter your first tournament free. Come to 5 events and get an LE as a thanks for liking the game? You may need to build from within instead of fishing outside if that makes sense

Morand fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 31, 2015

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So in the interest of encouraging theme play, a local venue is running a four-week event where named theme teams are required, as kind of a campaign, where you're encouraged to keep the same team and just add more or tweak a bit. Week 1, 300 points, Week 2, 400, Week 3, 500, and then a special "storming the castle" scenario where you build a 500 and a 600 point team and defend or attack a castle. You get Quest Points for various achievements along the way, and the most Quest Points at the end of the four weeks gets a Quinjet.

I'm not particularly concerned about getting the Quinjet.

Which is why I'm debating running Fantastic Four teams. 300 points - the Future Foundation LEs. 400 points - the All-New FF (Hulk, GR, Wolverine, Spidey). 500 points - either the All-Newer FF (Iron Man et al LEs), the Future Foundation LEs plus Dr. Doom (with a modded white paint job), or the classics (IW and Torch from Cap set, Thing and Mr. F from GG set), then 600 points adding She-Hulk and the ATA to the latter.

I'd like this, but I'm pretty sure I'd get stomped on for four weeks straight.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rules question:

Hush and Power Ring each want to shoot at Groot, who's giant-sized, but is behind a light object. Since he's a Giant, does he get a hindering defensive bonus, since their lines of fire go through hindering?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I believe that giants only get hindering bonuses if they are standing directly on the hindering terrain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I believe that giants only get hindering bonuses if they are standing directly on the hindering terrain.

That's what I thought, and what the line of fire chart in rules appears to show, but people still ask the judge when it comes up.

Red fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 2, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

He would only get the bonus if he was standing on the hindering terrain -- as a giant, he's effectively one elevation higher than everyone else. Think of him as being on a roof and you'll see why it's a clear line of fire to him.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The next question is whether or not Colossals get that same benefit if standing on hindering.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1,000 Points anything goes today.

Since I was able to trade for Steppenwolf and Brutaal I had to do Apokolips.

My team was

Steppenwolf
Brutaal
SLOSH Darkseid at 200
Full belt on Darkseid (I was 20 or so under!)
5 TW Parademons
2 BATB Patademon Grunts
1 Parademon Drill Seargents
2 SM/WW Parademons

Basically I was gong to stack bonuses on top of bonuses on top of bonuses. Between Brutaal, Steppenwolf and Darkseid I was looking at Generics with 12 AV's and a 4 damage that can act every turn provided I am aggressive in my positioning.and get on your side of the board. Darkseid with the belt was just lazy teambuilding to get me closer to 1000 but it ended up being very helpful in all my games.

Round 1 versus

Beyonder at 500
Annihilus with his control rod
AOU Quasar with a full utility Belt
Dominator

I won map pretty easily and threw us on the Black Mercy map. I wasn't gonna get any despair this round so the first few rounds were positioning. Eventually I moved out with a wall of demons blocking LOF to Darkseid, Steppenwolf and Brutaal. He came out with his guys and I lost 3 demons. Brutaal managed to Psyblast Annihilus for 6 and still only have one token thanks to bonuses. 2 other Demons took shots and he was out. Steppenwolf went and phased to base his Quasar and Darkseid belted away his power cosmic and RS. Beyonder took a shot on a demon but missed, Quasar cleared. Darkseid took away his invincible and I hit for 4. Exploited him for 4 more with Steppenwolf. Quasar ran and Beyonder cleared. Darkseid finished off Quasar and from there it was dogpile on Beyonder. Brutaal was nailing him for 6 damage shots a turn and even though he made an absurd amount of shape change that he kept borrowing from Brutaal I was able to wear him out. Lost my 2 33 point demons though.

1-0

Round 2 versus Andy's Kree Inhumans

Supreme Intelligence at 250
Ronin the Accuser from GOTG
Dr. Minerva
Thane
A bunch of privates
4 lieutenants
A General

I helped build this team. I tried to think of a way to specifically screw it over as is my way (Andy will attest that I am a jerk) but couldn't think of anything because it tends to be "ok I'll just shoot it until it dies from infinite range"

I decided that I'd hit it really loving hard and try to mitigate that first shot as best I could.

I lost map and ended up on the bridge. That was bad as Supreme's intelligence's range then became "leave your starting area". Andy sidestepped all his minions and passed. I counted range like 9 times to make sure Brutaal would be able to RS/Psyblast the intelligence while he had one token and would be closer to his area then mine. I dropped a 45 point Demon and the 33 point one next to him. Moved up Darksid with the same support next to him. Killed his power cosmic and his outwit. He took the shot on Brutaal and hit for 7 but had to burn 2-3 theme probs to do so. I masterminded it away to my 33 point goon. He moved out into a big firing line and ended his turn.

This was the moment I needed, Brutaal did a RS onto his side of the map and took a penetrating shot on his intelligence. 13 on an 18 for 6. Andy burned every theme prob he could but I hit it. Darkseid then followed up for the KO. That dropped a despair token on his force. Goons moved up. I made sure Brutaal had a mastermind shield. Ronin said gently caress despair and ended a demon, restoring morale. Minerva went after Brutaal to steal my invincible for his force but I hit shape change and she missed my demon. His privates took some demon shots.

Darkseid then focused on Ronin, smacking him for 4 after an outwit. Brutaal nailed Minerva with his Ultra and she was out. Generics tried to KO Ronan but failed. Thane healed him for a little bit and Andy chose not to attack with Ronan to maximize invisibility cloak. His privates took some shots at my demons. Demons started EEing privates while thane took 3 from Brutaal after Invincible. Steppenwolf phased into the rear for support. Darkseid murdered privates. Ronin went for Steppenwolf with big enhancement . RCE's his attack and rolled a 6 twice. Thane went down, then Ronan did and dropped despair. Then I made t a point to nail his general for more despair. It was just downhill from there.

Ugly game that was basically a decapitation strike on his leadership followed by nasty trench warefare. In the end though, I just out auctioned him with my ability to attack every single turn thanks to Steppenwolf.

2-0

Round 3 versus Avengers

400 Point Thor 2 movie Thor
GOTG Space Iron Man
AOU Movie Hawkeye
Winter Soldier 75 Point Widow
OP Kit Strange at 150
WOS Web Token Spidey

I won map and went back to the Black Mercy Map. I positioned behind a wall and rolled plus 2 exploit with Darkseid. He moved his whole team in a clump around Strange with the exception of Thor who he put out on his own. Strange chose Shape Change as his aura bonus. My opponent had miscounted my swing and I was able to nail his Thor with Darkaeid for 7, then follow up with Brutaal for the KO and the despair. He still had perplex though and a Hawkeye who arrowed the gently caress out of me and KO'd a cheap generic and tokened my Steppenwolf. He managed to do 1 to Brutaal with precision from Strange. I forgot that I had a plus one range with Darkseid and did not outwit the imper on Iron Man as I thought I was out of range. Brutaal managed to hit for a 7 damage HSS shot which he made go away with impervious. Hawkeye murdered more minions as I kept choosing he didn't take a token since he was gonna make Brutaal take 1 if I'd chosen the other (Precision was outwit). Generics poisitioned and clearing happened. Hawkeye was still a dick. Darkseid remembered be had range and outwitted the defense of IM before nailing him for 5. Minions followed up for KO and a Despair token. Steppenwolf based Hawkeye and strange. Brutaal cleared. He tried unsuccessfully to hit Steppenwolf as Hawkeye is neutered when based. Brutaal then hit Strange for 7 and a KO for Despair #2 and that was the nail in the coffin. He lost the ability to hit and Steppenwolf showed Hawkeye what axes do to bows for Dezpair #3. Widow and Spidey didn't have a shot after that.

3-0

Holy poo poo if you can get agressive with this team you can absolutely ruin anything. Between all the Bonus you're piling on to the attack and damage of your pieces and the token removal of Steppenwolf there's nothing you can't just plow through. Brutaal lived up to his name, being the main Hammer of the team. Despair tokens are sneaky awesome. You've murdered their best attacker and made it harder for them to hit you back. Stack a few on and watch the fun.

I need a Brimstone to make this more awesome.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

The next question is whether or not Colossals get that same benefit if standing on hindering.

If literally every single square of their base is in hindering I'd say yes

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

If literally every single square of their base is in hindering I'd say yes

Or if the only square it's in that you can draw a line of fire to is hindering terrain.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Or if the only square it's in that you can draw a line of fire to is hindering terrain.

This. The Great Size ability (quoted in pertinent part) reads:

Great Size, 2014 PAC posted:

This character may draw lines of fire (and have lines of fire drawn to it) as if the character occupied the elevation equal to or greater than the elevation it occupies, using the elevation level with the least restrictive line of fire.
Bear in mind, that according to page 17 of the rulebook, you can draw LOF to whichever square you want without worrying about one square of its base blocking another ("One square of a multi-base character will not block the line of fire from another square it occupies."). Just remember that giants and colossals both go essentially all the way up, which really bothers me about giant-sized Hulks. He can't see on top of a skyscraper, dammit! The only thing that keeps giants from blocking LOF to and from colossals is that giants are smaller and smaller characters don't block LOF to or from larger characters.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

1,000 Points anything goes today.
My team was:

Supreme Intelligence at 250
Ronan the Accuser
Dr. Minerva
Thane
Kree General
4 Kree Lieutenants
4 Kree Privates

For a total of 999.

I won map roll all three rounds (round 1 I had a +8, round 2 was even, round 3 I had +13 and didn't even have to roll), so I played all my matches on The Bridge. As Morand will tell you, that is my very favorite map in all of Heroclix and I play on it whenever I can, but in this case it was also a strategic choice. The Bridge's 4 square starting areas meant that Supreme Intelligence's range was "leave your starting area, I dare you", and there was no elevated terrain to hide behind.

Round 1 was against the Illuminati -- Con ex Dr. Strange, AVX Professor X and Namor, IIM Iron Man at full points, and GotG Black Bolt, with Secret Avengers on Dr. Strange, Professor X, and Iron Man. I don't know what this guy was thinking building the team. If you're not going with a swarm, you need a team of heavy hitters who can handle being vastly outnumbered, and this team just plain couldn't. (He did end up winning fellowship because he's really nice, at least.)

So Supreme Intelligence blasted Dr. Strange and then I sent Dr. Minerva to chase him down. Strange tried to run but I was able to perplex up Minerva's speed so she could charge him, and Strange missed his super senses roll, so I got to steal Prob Control for my entire team. After that the rout was completely on and Supreme Intelligence, Ronan, Minerva, and my Kree Privates (with a Lieutenant next to them, they had an 11 attack and 4 damage) made everyone blow up real quick.

Round 2 was against Morand's Apokolips team and I've been playing it over and over in my head, and I simply do not see a way I could have won it. Maybe I would have had a long shot if I'd just rushed everyone up onto Morand's side of the board, but even then, I don't know. The problem is that you can kill Parademons all day long, but dying is what Parademons are for, and the stupid trait Mastermind means you can't hurt his generals, and he could very much hurt mine. Also, my choice of powers for Minerva to steal were incredibly limited. I guess psyblast off of Brutaal was my best option, but Darkseid can still shrug that off and Steppenwolf and Brutaal both start with Invincible. I'd kinda like to make a 1000 point Justice League and take that team on again, because that'd be a very interesting fight, but the Kreehumans did not have a chance. At least we made them bleed for the victory.

Round 3 was against a Mystical team. Shaman, Hades, Hermes, Tim Hunter, Time Bubble Kang, GG Dr. Doom, and I, Vampire without his Ultimate Vampire clicks. I guess the plan was to lean really hard on the Mystics team ability or something? Dr. Doom moves out a tiny bit and I outwit all his powers and blast him for 7. Shaman moves out, I outwit his stuff and blast him for 7, oneshotting him. Thane heals the Supreme Intelligence back to top dial. He then moved out everyone but Tim Hunter, including moving up Hades right in my face. Which was kinda dumb, because that was within charge range of Dr. Minerva, and Hades has Prob Control top-dial, so I outwitted his imperv, hit him with a super-heavy and stole Prob Control for my entire team, and then a Private just zapped him to death. So now I have 12 dudes with PC and he's lost all his sources of natural mystics, which mean Doom and Kang can't copy it any more. I quickly killed everyone but Tim, who he had run and hide on the side of the elevated terrain. He knew and I knew that doing 3 damage to Tim turns him into Superman, but I also didn't care since Tim was the only person alive and I'd taken no losses, so I had Supreme Intelligence hit Tim for the 3 damage. Super-Tim came out and hit a Private, and I decided to let him have the kill rather than using all my stupid amounts of prob. Next turn I killed him easy.

Went 2-1 and came in second place, which got me a prize, so hey. Good enough.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Holy crap. I guess I have to get Dr. Minerva now.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Round 2 was against Morand's Apokolips team and I've been playing it over and over in my head, and I simply do not see a way I could have won it. Maybe I would have had a long shot if I'd just rushed everyone up onto Morand's side of the board, but even then, I don't know. The problem is that you can kill Parademons all day long, but dying is what Parademons are for, and the stupid trait Mastermind means you can't hurt his generals, and he could very much hurt mine. Also, my choice of powers for Minerva to steal were incredibly limited. I guess psyblast off of Brutaal was my best option, but Darkseid can still shrug that off and Steppenwolf and Brutaal both start with Invincible. I'd kinda like to make a 1000 point Justice League and take that team on again, because that'd be a very interesting fight, but the Kreehumans did not have a chance. At least we made them bleed for the victory.

I think a different map so I couldn't rush you as easily, and having that first shot be on the 45 point generic near brutaal to KO it, with a follow-up strike from someone would have really hurt. Without psyblast, there's 0 guarantee I hurt the intelligence and with Thane over there, it absolutely has to be a one turn KO. Focusing fire on Steppenwolf also could have stopped me. I lose alot if he goes down.

Different map and using the artillery a bit more precisely and I think you could have done it. Also I'd be more then happy to do a JL game against it.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Steve Vader posted:

Holy crap. I guess I have to get Dr. Minerva now.

She's great, especially in huge point value games. I was winning pretty handily in one game, so I had her clock somebody and give my whole team Sidestep so the Supreme Intelligence could wheel around the map, surveying his handiwork.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

http://heroclix.com/errata/design-insight-size-categories/

Well, they clarified a lot of size-related stuff. Colossals have Giant Reach now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

http://heroclix.com/errata/design-insight-size-categories/

Well, they clarified a lot of size-related stuff. Colossals have Giant Reach now.
A lot of major changes in this.
  • Carrying a character for free got pulled out of the Tiny ability, now anyone can do it with any one character smaller than them.
  • Adding 1 to your breakaway roll got pulled out of Giant Reach, now anyone can do it as long as they're trying to break away from exclusively smaller characters.
  • Colossals no longer automatically break away. Instead, all characters automatically break away from characters at least two sizes smaller, so you can tie up Colossals with Giants now.
  • Plasticity's "cannot break away and must stop when moving adjacent" powers do not work on bigger characters.
  • Giants and Colossals existing on multiple elevations at once is completely gone (and right after we just got done discussing that, too). Now, lines of fire to and from them simply ignore elevated terrain and outdoor blocking terrain. This is much, much simpler. It also means that hiding behind a building no longer works.
  • Giant Reach is a variable ability. Giants get it at 2, Colossals at 3. This leaves the door open for characters to have even longer reach -- if they ever make another Reed Richards, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he loses his range and just gets Giant Reach 4 or something.
  • A lot of common-sense moving around of rules. Giant Size is only about being big, Giant Reach is only about having a long reach, Colossal Stamina is only about being able to act with two action tokens.
Overall, it's good stuff, irons out a lot of peculiar HeroClix rules quirks, and makes abilities do what they sound like they do. It's also going to have strategic implications; Pym Particles now make anyone a taxi, Atomica got nerfed, Kamala Khan is significantly more annoying, and that's just off the top of my head.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
My immediate thought is what level of Giant Reach Red Power Battery will provide now. Also if they will errata AoU Starter Cap's trait to GR:6

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So I went to play last night, and wanted to buy a Super Booster of SM/WW.

The owner of the store just made a rule saying that you can't buy super boosters of new sets unless you buy the whole brick. I get that they don't want to be stuck with tons of extra product (they still have tons of Batman, Teen Titans and Iron Man boosters), but... stuff like that turns away more people than it attracts.

I won last night's event (thanks, Kyle Rayner), and the judge had a leftover super booster from the pre-release event that he convinced the store to sell, so at least there's that.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

So I went to play last night, and wanted to buy a Super Booster of SM/WW.

The owner of the store just made a rule saying that you can't buy super boosters of new sets unless you buy the whole brick. I get that they don't want to be stuck with tons of extra product (they still have tons of Batman, Teen Titans and Iron Man boosters), but... stuff like that turns away more people than it attracts.

I won last night's event (thanks, Kyle Rayner), and the judge had a leftover super booster from the pre-release event that he convinced the store to sell, so at least there's that.

What was in it?

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Great night at the midnight release of the set, ended up pulling almost exactly what I wanted from my case, getting RS Brainiac and RL Supergirl. Managed to get second overall with a team that had almost no business doing that well. Lori Lemaris is scary... When you're facing anyone but First Born and his Battle Fury trait. Which happened twice. But my team was rolling in Pulse Wave with Hat, Silver Swan and Coldcast all having it in some fashion. Got 5 boosters for my trouble and got RS Bizarro, which was traded for RS Wonder Woman since the guy who won had pulled one already in his event boosters.

Super Boosters weren't quite what I wanted, but I'm still fine with it. I got Titano and Brimstone. Was hoping for the Robot and Solaris, but these guys aren't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Great night at the midnight release of the set, ended up pulling almost exactly what I wanted from my case, getting RS Brainiac and RL Supergirl. Managed to get second overall with a team that had almost no business doing that well. Lori Lemaris is scary... When you're facing anyone but First Born and his Battle Fury trait. Which happened twice. But my team was rolling in Pulse Wave with Hat, Silver Swan and Coldcast all having it in some fashion. Got 5 boosters for my trouble and got RS Bizarro, which was traded for RS Wonder Woman since the guy who won had pulled one already in his event boosters.

Super Boosters weren't quite what I wanted, but I'm still fine with it. I got Titano and Brimstone. Was hoping for the Robot and Solaris, but these guys aren't bad.

I will totally trade you a robot for your brimstone

• Locked thread