Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is head-bobbing in? I know a lot if people hate that poo poo, but I like it. Fixes some of the Beth brand floaty walking.

And are there any perks related to drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

I'm confused about the shadows thing. People are complaining that there are no shadows in leaked screenshot but the promotional screenshots for the game do show shadows so... I would assume it's either a bug or a graphics setting on the leaked images. I don't see how that's a huge problem - have Bethesda officially said "gently caress shadows they're dumb" or something?

The exteriors have some really nice ambient lighting and shadows. It looks pretty great. It's just the interiors that have little or NO dynamic lighting at all, and combined with the often shoddy texture work, it really does look like a dated game once you go inside.

E: I should add though, that I watched hours of that stream earlier and even though the guy was a total fuckwit my hype levels rose significantly for the game. I wasn't really all that interested in the runup to release, but the gunplay looks massively improved from the older games, it can be very pretty when it tries, and the crafting stuff looks interesting too.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 5, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's very unlikely (intro sequence-Vault 111 spoilers) The Vault is a cryo facility.

that's what i thought.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

anatomi posted:

Is head-bobbing in? I know a lot if people hate that poo poo, but I like it. Fixes some of the Beth brand floaty walking.

And are there any perks related to drugs?

I've seen one for Increase in duration, and one for decrease in addiction chance.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Interior shadows can't melt steel beams.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bardeh posted:

The exteriors have some really nice ambient lighting and shadows. It looks pretty great. It's just the interiors that have little or NO dynamic lighting at all, and combined with the often shoddy texture work, it really does look like a dated game once you go inside.

Yeah I noticed that all the exteriors looked amazing then it gets somewhat shittier once inside.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so are you a synth or not. I am pretty sure you are not but i am curious now.

The leaked ending voiceover from the game essentially confirms that you are not, and that the actual plot is somehow even stupider.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chalks posted:

I'm confused about the shadows thing. People are complaining that there are no shadows in leaked screenshot but the promotional screenshots for the game do show shadows so... I would assume it's either a bug or a graphics setting on the leaked images. I don't see how that's a huge problem - have Bethesda officially said "gently caress shadows they're dumb" or something?

The opening of the game is in hyper brightly lit 1950s, nothing casts much shadow because there is an excessive amount of light.

Then a vailt tech man comes to your doorstep (and casts a shadow on it) and signs you up for a vault.

Then the war happens.

Then you come out and go back to your house and it's all shadows and darkness and ruin.

People for some reason are taking the super bright nature of the original 1950s setting to be due to some engine limitation instead of it being really absurdly basic visual symbolism. Maybe because it's the first area you walk around in and everything is just evenly lit with no specific light sources like a 2003 game.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The opening of the game is in hyper brightly lit 1950s, nothing casts much shadow because there is an excessive amount of light.

Then a vailt tech man comes to your doorstep (and casts a shadow on it) and signs you up for a vault.

Then the war happens.

Then you come out and go back to your house and it's all shadows and darkness and ruin.

People for some reason are taking the super bright nature of the original 1950s setting to be due to some engine limitation instead of it being really absurdly basic visual symbolism. Maybe because it's the first area you walk around in and everything is just evenly lit with no specific light sources like a 2003 game.

three of the four early video leaks had no shadows inside buildings, none of them was the start.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

botany posted:

three of the four early video leaks had no shadows inside buildings, none of them was the start.

Weren't 3 of the four video leaks featuring a guy running around with the pip-boy light on?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

botany posted:

No, you see, the lack of shadows in those rooms, several hours into the game, represent the protagonist's hope and innocence as he has not yet fully acclimated to the post-war hell that is now his reality.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Weren't 3 of the four video leaks featuring a guy running around with the pip-boy light on?

No idea, but I'm pretty sure the retarded person playing as Tommy Wiseau yesterday had his light on in broad daylight for absolutely no reason.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 5, 2015

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Geoff Zahn posted:

no, i think that was only one of them. the others were mostly the tower one with the super mutants, i think.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

botany posted:

That is like, literally not true. People picked up the no shadow thing and kept saying it even on streams that you could be looking at and seeing shadows clearly on screen. Someone in this thread kept posting the "no shadows" kitchen at the start of the game but even that exact trailer shows shadows when the vault tech man comes and in the bathroom then shows tons of shadows as you walk around. The whole "no shadows" thing is a weird meme people keep repeating that can easily be checked.

I mean is your alternative some weird theory that they didn't have shadows at first then like this unreleased game got shadows patched in in the last two days or something?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
there is no shadow of a doubt that the shadows of the game and shadowy and mysterious in their shady appearances.

wont anyone see the light, be brighter and illuminate your minds!!

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is like, literally not true. People picked up the no shadow thing and kept saying it even on streams that you could be looking at and seeing shadows clearly on screen. Someone in this thread kept posting the "no shadows" kitchen at the start of the game but even that exact trailer shows shadows when the vault tech man comes and in the bathroom then shows tons of shadows as you walk around. The whole "no shadows" thing is a weird meme people keep repeating that can easily be checked.

I mean is your alternative some weird theory that they didn't have shadows at first then like this unreleased game got shadows patched in in the last two days or something?

It actually started because of screenshots from the PS4 version that didn't have any shadows :

http://gearnuke.com/fallout-4-ps4-screenshots-leaked-hq-comparison-e3-footage-reveals-missing-shadows/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Like all PC releases worth half a drat, there will be options to turn shadows off, and probably to set shadow resolution to LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH. You know, just like in Skyrim and the previous two Fallout games.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Like all PC releases worth half a drat, there will be options to turn shadows off, and probably to set shadow resolution to LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH. You know, just like in Skyrim and the previous two Fallout games.

No ,Bethesda literally destroyed the entire concept of shadows, dooming reality to a full-bright hellscape.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

interior shadows and dynamic lighting were plainly visible in that stream last night

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

here's my story: i knew the game was coming out, but didn't read the thread or follow any of the discussion. i randomly checked the thread a few days ago, watched the videos and noticed the lack of shadows. i then posted "what's up with that". now it's obviously possible that the videos that i watched in fact did have shadows and i just missed them, but i doubt it. i also didn't know that "lack of shadows" was a talking point before i posted about it. and my alternative is that the videos probably had the graphics turned down for some reason.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

rap music posted:

interior shadows and dynamic lighting were plainly visible in that stream last night

Bethe$$da has clearly gotten to your mind with Nostalgia and Payoffs, we shall pray for your gamer soul to see the light once again.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money
So watching that HATENEWSPAPERS stream, this game does indeed look bad visually. The lighting, faces, animations, textures, and models are all lousy for a title released in 2015, and it doesn't even have the excuse of 360/PS3 release to fall back on. Quite frankly it's not just technically subpar, it's simply incompetent, particularly in the area of character animation. The mayor's secretary looks like a drat real doll. Actually, real dolls probably have elbows that fit together properly...

They've also failed to address lots of old standing gameplay issues. For instance, the player agrees to help Paul 'deal with' Cooke, which involves shooting him about ten times in the face at point blank range until he finally dies. Paul then immediately turns hostile when you loot a beer out of Cooke's fridge because uhhh, stealing?

:laffo:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

botany posted:

here's my story: i knew the game was coming out, but didn't read the thread or follow any of the discussion. i randomly checked the thread a few days ago, watched the videos and noticed the lack of shadows. i then posted "what's up with that". now it's obviously possible that the videos that i watched in fact did have shadows and i just missed them, but i doubt it. i also didn't know that "lack of shadows" was a talking point before i posted about it. and my alternative is that the videos probably had the graphics turned down for some reason.

It's just the weirdest meme for why fallout is bad. Like there is clearly shadows. Like every single video shows there is shadows but somehow it's remained this meme that there are no shadows and it's some weird moon landing thing where you can literally just go look at pictures of the shadows but there is still this large group of people denying their existence like it's a matter of opinion.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Actually its about shadows in Video Games.

hashtag shadowgate

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's just the weirdest meme for why fallout is bad. Like there is clearly shadows. Like every single video shows there is shadows but somehow it's remained this meme that there are no shadows and it's some weird moon landing thing where you can literally just go look at pictures of the shadows but there is still this large group of people denying their existence like it's a matter of opinion.

People saying things that are undeniably false in order to get a rise out of people who care just a little too much about being right? Why I never heard of such a thing on this, the internet.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

hashtag shadowrun

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aJfebzkrM

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xeremides posted:

It actually started because of screenshots from the PS4 version that didn't have any shadows :

http://gearnuke.com/fallout-4-ps4-screenshots-leaked-hq-comparison-e3-footage-reveals-missing-shadows/

Which looked really off in general compared to other ps4 screenshots and videos we've seen. The pipboy light does wash out some but I'm starting to think Juan Fallout's game had some weird lighting bugs

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

People saying things that are undeniably false in order to get a rise out of people who care just a little too much about being right? Why I never heard of such a thing on this, the internet.

It never even seemed like intentional trolling, it seems like a thing where some weird hate machine spun up and latched onto no shadows so hard that it was bringing in new people that didn't even check to see if the game had shadows or something?

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Buff Butler posted:

They've also failed to address lots of old standing gameplay issues. For instance, the player agrees to help Paul 'deal with' Cooke, which involves shooting him about ten times in the face at point blank range until he finally dies. Paul then immediately turns hostile when you loot a beer out of Cooke's fridge because uhhh, stealing?

Yeah the only improvements to the game engine appear to be changing some of the sounds/visual effect for shooting and a wider color palette. After 7 years I was expecting more improvement in the base game AI/graphics considering Bethesda's budget and success. Color me disappointed.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Is there any reason why a technically competent developer doesn't try their hand at this type of game?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Developer: Mr Howard, we've encountered a bug that disables shadows in the game. We gotta fix this before we ship.
Todd Howard: Actually I deleted all the shadows in the game so I can finally destroy this horrible franchise.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Lol that trailer looks like poo poo, good work Bethesda

Edit: same faggy brotherhood as in 3, looks like I'll be destroying them

Edit2: Jane Fallout got a badonkadonk

Fake James fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2015

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Scoops posted:

Yeah the only improvements to the game engine appear to be changing some of the sounds/visual effect for shooting and a wider color palette. After 7 years I was expecting more improvement in the base game AI/graphics considering Bethesda's budget and success. Color me disappointed.

This game was totally in development for 7 years and not for 7 months. When they said that they designed the shooting from the ground up to be 'like Destiny,' you were clearly meant to understand that they played an early alpha version of Destiny at the Bungie offices a number of years ago.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

I think they've pretty much done all they can with that engine. They really need to move to something not poo poo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I can see both the shadows, and the Emperor's new clothes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xeremides posted:

I think they've pretty much done all they can with that engine. They really need to move to something not poo poo.

I think you underestimate the amount of work and money switching to a new engine is. It basically means retraining the entire staff from the ground up.

There's a reason CoD is still built on a Quake derived engine.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Xeremides posted:

Actually, I think it's kind of badass that the conversation here has devolved down to "Huh, I don't think this game actually has indoor shadows" and in response, people are scouring footage to find them so that they can be like "AH HA! The game does have shadows! The graphics engine is just poo poo, that's why you couldn't tell, but they're there!"

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Is there any reason why a technically competent developer doesn't try their hand at this type of game?

This year has had like half a dozen open world games. MGS and Witcher both went open world. Open world games are becoming really popular. Why doesn't someone just copy Bethesda exactly? I don't think any developer who knows how and can afford to make a big open world game want to make a clone. Especially when games sell on name recognition.

The only real difference Bethesda has is making every character have some interactivity, though by making all the characters very shallow, and allowing you to pick up anything in the game world that isn't furniture but obviously there isn't much you can actually do with the spoons and cups.

The technical stuff is making me wonder if Bethesda tried to keep costs really low because for 4 years of development with a huge team they don't really have as much as you'd expect to show for it.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Xeremides posted:

I think as long as people are willing to pay full price for yesterday's game they'll keep making it unfortunately. People trying to play it down makes no sense to me - clearly the only way Bethesda is going to bother seriously upgrading things is if they take enough flak for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Doctor: I'm sorry ma'am but your son's brain has been irreparably damaged by some kind of mental trauma.
Goon: No shadows. No shadows. No shadows. The graphics are bad. No shadows. The dog is on fire.

• Locked thread