Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pillowpants posted:

My final vote tally for dictator of Amesbury

district 2 city council: 1 vote
District 5 city council: 12 votes
School committee: 3 votes
Planning board 4 year: 4 votes
Planning board 2 year: 21 votes (2nd place)
Library trustee 4 year: 3 votes
Housing authority: 32 votes (win)

This is literally the most US Politics of anything in this thread. Low voter turnout, huge amounts of cynicism, positions that no one knows about...

Pillowpants isn't the hero we want, but the hero we need. I hope he doesn't look down upon us and whisper "Nyet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Update: I've spoken with 5 of the 9 city council members. 3 are supportive, 1 thinks I should reach out to the HA and then make my choice and then there's the other guy I talked about.

I should also mention that there is a family in town who pull the most ridiculous cartoonishly evil stunts on opponents, and I've made them look so bad over the past six months that they both blocked me and refuse to deal with me.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As long as we don't have to recognize those European cheese-eaters & champagne-swillers claim on cheese names and wine names. I like Wisconsin Parmesean with my California Champagne, and damned be any Frenchman or Italian who says otherwise.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pillowpants posted:

So,

In my city I've been waging a completely fake over the top write in campaign to become dictator of the city. I've spent two months talking about making rivers run with chocolate, annexing surrounding towns, deciding leash law disputes with duels etc etc etc. while at the same time asking everyone to stop name calling each other. I've been doing this on all Facebook with photoshopped signs and long rants every few days.

Last night, this got me elected to the Housing Authority in my city and I came in second for Planning Board, and got 12 votes for city council.

I'd like to take all credit for my endorsement swinging the voters to get Pillowpants his victory.

I seriously wonder how many politicians become lifers this way. Just run in low turn out votes, run a very tight focused campaign to known voters and keep winning and winning until suddenly you're running for Senate with 20 years as a public servant on the housing board with GOOD EXPERIENCE (though only like 2% of the population has ever voted for you EVER).

I think thats how Joni Ernst got elected.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Pillowpants, I think seeing politics at the local level is entirely on topic for this thread, and a nice change of pace. What kinda childishly awful stuff does this unnamed and anonymous family allegedly do?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This could sink her.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pillowpants posted:

Update: I've spoken with 5 of the 9 city council members. 3 are supportive, 1 thinks I should reach out to the HA and then make my choice and then there's the other guy I talked about.

I should also mention that there is a family in town who pull the most ridiculous cartoonishly evil stunts on opponents, and I've made them look so bad over the past six months that they both blocked me and refuse to deal with me.

Please, please give us all the dirty deets on this new job of yours. This is amazing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Well poo poo, as a Black Man I have to vote Ben Carson now.

https://soundcloud.com/abcpolitics/ben-carson-radio-ad

The Flute is what makes it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That text doesn't appear in that document. It's also incorrect - the copyright term TPP requires is life plus 70, not 75 - as well as weirdly fear-mongering - Internet memes are already covered under copyright law.

Nice to see the full text. So far most of the bullshit people cried about being in the IP section isn't there.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Dexo posted:

Oh my god, this is loving beautiful. Ben Carson speaking over music is incredibly painful but also hard to turn off.

When he's talking it's less like human language and more like a smooth keyboard solo played by a deaf guy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dexo posted:

Are there people who think black people like Ben Carson?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, the entire Republican party.

After all, being black is the only "qualification" Obama had, right?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

wilderthanmild posted:

So basically, Carson was one of those kids with violent fantasies that convinced himself he actually did them?

Ben Carson a straight up busta. Tryin' to act like he the poo poo when he just a studio gangsta.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This is a convenient excuse to be racist against black people if they don't immediately fall behind Carson after this VERY WISE Campaign decision to commission this RAP video. It is also a way to be racist because they supported Obama, but not Carson?! Black People are racist.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

mcmagic posted:

"Well, we're white guys and we like white guys, right? Black guys probably like black guys!"

(400 EV landslide defeat here)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

zoux posted:

This could sink her.
...do they need more volunteers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

Sure, but Wednesdays are your day in the barrel.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Pillowpants, you're doing God's work.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yeah, the entire Republican party.

After all, being black is the only "qualification" Obama had, right?

As well as being Muslim 'As All Hell' level.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Pillowpants you absolutely need to take the position on the housing authority and execute your duties diligently.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The voters have spoken.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

Alvin Greene is on the scene.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys wanna see how other countries handle drug policy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGJZTgb3aU

Can you imagine if they did that here? It's a massive struggle to even get needle exchange programs implemented.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Assume the position, Pillowpants! And make a thread about it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dexo posted:

That flute's so anachronistic I feel like there's a weird psychological thing there.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Ben Carson a straight up busta. Tryin' to act like he the poo poo when he just a studio gangsta.

All you had to do was follow the drat train, Ben!

Nolanar posted:

Assume the position, Pillowpants! And make a thread about it.

Seriously. I'd love a thread on absurdist local politics to help me get through this thread about absurdist national politics.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
David Vitter is not a popular man

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just because some people need a refresher on copyright terms, apparently:

The TPP requires the copyright terms of all parties to be at least the current US length (or greater, since Mexico is already at life plus 100 for some reason and they're party to it). This is already the standard across the EU as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I still wouldn't bet against him.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just because some people need a refresher on copyright terms, apparently:

The TPP requires the copyright terms of all parties to be at least the current US length (or greater, since Mexico is already at life plus 100 for some reason and they're party to it). This is already the standard across the EU as well.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it good policy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

Rand is apparently making a campaign stop at my college. He's so dead in the water at this point it's not really worth going for the possibility of making fun of him.
Nonsense, just preface any question you want to ask him with "I'm a Dreamer" so he can spit and run away. Even better if you're whiter than Wonder Bread.

zoux posted:

This could sink her.
Only if she eats it with a fork.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

zoux posted:

You guys wanna see how other countries handle drug policy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGJZTgb3aU

Can you imagine if they did that here? It's a massive struggle to even get needle exchange programs implemented.

It's almost like other places in this world are more mature than our stupid country.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

This could sink her.

If anything it's going to sink Sanders.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

William Shearon is the new Mayor of Branenton Beach, FL, having drawn the Ace of Clubs and beating incumbent Mayor Jack Clarke who drew the Ten of Clubs.

The election was decided in this manner after a recount confirmed a 195-195 vote tie.

I hope the incumbent drew it first and smiled knowing he had gotten a pretty decent card. Only way it could have been more entertaining would be him drawing a king first.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Apparently honest Abe's signature is worth $2.2 million.

http://bigstory.ap.org/7f8fd3ec62fc483d91642961bda8cb18

quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — An autographed manuscript written by President Abraham Lincoln just weeks before his assassination has sold for more than $2.2 million at a New York City auction.

Heritage Auctions says the document containing the final passage of Lincoln's famed second inaugural address sold Wednesday for more than twice its pre-sale estimate.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Phone posted:

If anything it's going to sink Sanders.

I can't imagine he has any issues with anal, considering his support for LGBT folks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grey Fox posted:

For the pizza or the anal?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:lol:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Only if she eats it with a fork.

drat I like the way you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pizza (democ)rats are having a moment right now.

• Locked thread