Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

mdm posted:

it's more so you know who to watch out for if you are actually able to make eye contact with whoever the poor soul is who makes this a problem for you

i've seen some dumb urinal dividers in Europe, like they were there for show and way too low and the line of sight to another's junk was clear, never seen a nonsense urinal divider in the good ol USA

urinal... divider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Malf posted:

urinal... divider?

They put a barrier down the middle of the urinal so two people can use the same one at the same time.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Tiberius Thyben posted:

They put a barrier down the middle of the urinal so two people can use the same one at the same time.

So basically the only interesting part (comparing dicks in a platonic, heterosexual way) is removed from pissing

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
when i went to america last year i went to the EA office in florida and they had these big urinals that were basically like a wall that you piss against and it collects in a tray at the bottom. but the tray and wall-depth were so shallow all you could feel was little minuscule bits of piss spray misting up your ankles. why would anyone do this

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

concerned mom posted:

when i went to america last year i went to the EA office in florida and they had these big urinals that were basically like a wall that you piss against and it collects in a tray at the bottom. but the tray and wall-depth were so shallow all you could feel was little minuscule bits of piss spray misting up your ankles. why would anyone do this

where do you live that urinals like that are uncommon

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus Christ you people complaining about bathrooms. Carry around the Private Bathroom kit

$3 and you've bought yourself a Private Bathroom to almost everywhere on Earth

If it wasn't so antisocial it'd be genius. Too good for this thread.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Isaac posted:

Why are people destroying toilet stalls in usa wtf.

Because some meatheads really enjoy vandalism, and they can get away with it easier in the only private room in the building.

I could make an entire thread about all the poor design choices in my old Saab convertible that I keep around for summer driving. So many terrible decisions.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
WHo designed the loving bathroom stall doors with the peep show gaps in them?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

concerned mom posted:

These are the urinals in Australia/New Zealand. Always seemed pretty water inefficient. A lot of them flush every X minutes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Riptor posted:

we have male and female signs for bathrooms but i think there should also be some sort of icon that identifies if the bathroom is a single person dealy or a bigger, multi-person bathroom.

i never understood why there are gendered single occupant restrooms.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since everyone seems to hate the way stalls are designed, how would you change them? A big curtain that went around 3 sides, like you get around your hospital bed?

Personally, I have like zero shame when it comes to using the potty in front of other guys, so I couldn't care less.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Alan Smithee posted:

WHo designed the loving bathroom stall doors with the peep show gaps in them?

Welcome to the other side of the looking glass: mens restrooms. Things work a bit differently than ur used to, in here. In particular i suggest not consuming anything labelled eat me or drink me.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Uh where do you live cause every intersection I've seen that has 4 way stop signs will say "all way" right under "stop"

Google had surprisingly few examples for something I see everywhere. (I guess because nobody labels the picture as 4-way unless the sign's labeled.) Anyways, here's an example, and on a four lane road, yay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXnBKSK_mA

It know it's common enough that regular stop signs need to say this:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

criscodisco posted:

Since everyone seems to hate the way stalls are designed, how would you change them?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

Since everyone seems to hate the way stalls are designed, how would you change them? A big curtain that went around 3 sides, like you get around your hospital bed?

Personally, I have like zero shame when it comes to using the potty in front of other guys, so I couldn't care less.

In the upscale mall in West Des Moines there are stalls that are made of faux brick and you open the door and close it with NO GAPS. You're in the stall and its faux brick walls go all the way down to the floor on all 3 sides with the door allowing a small 10" gap on the bottom that goes up about 6 feet like a normal door. It owns and whenever I"m at that mall I make it a point to go there because even if I don't have to poo poo, I think its the best way to allow people to do their duty in a high traffic area.

So thats how I'd do it. Put the walls down to the floor, disallow gaps on the front facing door.

Bathroom bad design: those sinks where you push the button and it slowly raises back up and then cuts the water off. Who thought this was a good idea? All it does is make the sink harder to use and likely results in MORE water being used because you have to keep pushing and pushing and pushing.

Here is one that I think is poorly designed that we all deal with: Shoe laces.

Yes, yes, Velcro is for old people or kids or whatever, but its literally better than shoe laces. They never come undone, they don't snap or break, they can't be tripped over if they are left undone, and you can tighten the shoe up to comfort just as easily or in many cases, easier than shoe laces. Why shoes have these pieces of string that are nothing but trouble is beyond me. From sports to combat to even casual walking, shoe laces are the least secure and most infuriating part of shoes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Google had surprisingly few examples for something I see everywhere. (I guess because nobody labels the picture as 4-way unless the sign's labeled.) Anyways, here's an example, and on a four lane road, yay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXnBKSK_mA

It know it's common enough that regular stop signs need to say this:

Is this a new trend? I've never seen those "cross traffic does not stop" signs before. At a four way stop or really at any stop sign I always thought you look around and assume the cross traffic will not yield before doing anything.

Edit: I'm assuming someone died at that intersection so they added a new sign.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is this a new trend? I've never seen those "cross traffic does not stop" signs before. At a four way stop or really at any stop sign I always thought you look around and assume the cross traffic will not yield before doing anything.

They are cropping up a lot (because of the sheer number of plain stop signs being used as 4-ways).

https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...CFQx0Pgod-GMD6A

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

plain blue jacket posted:

So basically the only interesting part (comparing dicks in a platonic, heterosexual way) is removed from pissing

:flaccid::ninja::flaccid:

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Jastiger posted:

shoe laces are the least secure and most infuriating part of shoes.

Maybe you are simply not lacing your shoes very well.
Only the shoes that I wear to the gym and my hiking boots have laces, but I have never had a single issue like you are describing with them.

Velcro looks absolutely ridiculous and I always associate that with very young children and elderly people who smell like old cheese or onion soup.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Helical Nightmares posted:

No, those have been around as long as I've been driving, 20+ years.

unzercharlie
Aug 23, 2005

unzercharlie fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 5, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jastiger posted:

In the upscale mall in West Des Moines there are stalls that are made of faux brick and you open the door and close it with NO GAPS. You're in the stall and its faux brick walls go all the way down to the floor on all 3 sides with the door allowing a small 10" gap on the bottom that goes up about 6 feet like a normal door. It owns and whenever I"m at that mall I make it a point to go there because even if I don't have to poo poo, I think its the best way to allow people to do their duty in a high traffic area.

So thats how I'd do it. Put the walls down to the floor, disallow gaps on the front facing door.

Bathroom bad design: those sinks where you push the button and it slowly raises back up and then cuts the water off. Who thought this was a good idea? All it does is make the sink harder to use and likely results in MORE water being used because you have to keep pushing and pushing and pushing.

Here is one that I think is poorly designed that we all deal with: Shoe laces.

Yes, yes, Velcro is for old people or kids or whatever, but its literally better than shoe laces. They never come undone, they don't snap or break, they can't be tripped over if they are left undone, and you can tighten the shoe up to comfort just as easily or in many cases, easier than shoe laces. Why shoes have these pieces of string that are nothing but trouble is beyond me. From sports to combat to even casual walking, shoe laces are the least secure and most infuriating part of shoes.

Score another for Des Moines!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

Score another for Des Moines!

:smugdog:

Modest Mauser posted:

Maybe you are simply not lacing your shoes very well.
Only the shoes that I wear to the gym and my hiking boots have laces, but I have never had a single issue like you are describing with them.

Velcro looks absolutely ridiculous and I always associate that with very young children and elderly people who smell like old cheese or onion soup.

Like I said, its been culturally relegated to olds and youngs.

I was in the army for 6 years and having to lace up my boots all the time was dumb. It made far more sense to have it be velcro or some other method of tightening vs having to lace and relace. Too much can go wrong.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
velcro is bad because ti gets all full of dirt and then doesnt work but laces always work anyway you should just get into barefoot running thats wwhat the tarahumara indians do they are born to run and they never have injuries

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
velcro shoes look retarded thats why.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
if you tie your laces with a reef knot like any non-mongoloid, they won't slip

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Can one get sufficient leverage with velcro compared to laces, for good tightening? You can't strangle somebody with a piece of velcro. Well, not easily. And with a child's level of dexterity you can double-knot your shoe-laces and then they will almost never come untied. Look on youtube for tutorials. They can probably also teach you to button your own shirts if you have some without zips, as well as tell time on a clock with a big hand and a little hand instead of numbers.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
This is the best explanation of where someone could gently caress up tying sholaces:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/grannyknot.htm
considering he was in the military I'd imagine this isn't the problem.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Avocados posted:

why no doors though, thats hilarious and terrifying

smoking/drugs

same reason for half doors

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Germstore posted:

This is the best explanation of where someone could gently caress up tying sholaces:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/grannyknot.htm
considering he was in the military I'd imagine this isn't the problem.

Pretty much this. If you do the looped ends around each other technique so the bow is straight it will never come apart unless you want it to.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

therattle posted:

I only like a little bit of milk in my tea. Spill city. And I often do a little test pour of tea before the main event to see if it's sufficiently brewed. Lastly, you savage, I don't want to be pouring at full volume as I reach the top of the cup. :colbert:

this guy has all the answers

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

where do you live that urinals like that are uncommon

these are uncommon in every place i've been, which is mostly the eastern seaboard of the USA

normally we have welcoming urinals w big pitcher mouths hung 2 1/2 feet from the floor

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I've only seen the wall type urinal in sports stadiums and other places where throughput is the most important factor.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Modest Mauser posted:

velcro does not have to look ridiculous, it can look like the cool n sleek future (esp considering it's what astronauts use)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
ha ha ha you loving goons

Sure, velcro is not socially acceptable for non-retards (children, the old,... retards themselves) due to cultural reasons but to say that velcro isn't a better and more practical solution is stupid, which was his only point. same with zippers over buttons.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wear any velcro shoes, and all my coats have buttons because I'm not a farmer, but i will never deny that zippers and velcro > buttons and laces

Contribution: OS X:

• you can't customize what closing the lid will do like you easily can in windows. having to install and operate a third party app just so you can close your lid without your laptop going to sleep is loving stupid
  • locking your screen. WINDOW+L. why is this not even an OPTION?
  • side by side... this is being pimped out like some new and exciting feature. Windows has been doing this for over a decade and it doesn't have some limitation on what kind of window you can WINDOW+LEFT or WINDOW+RIGHT. OS X proves once again it's a good OS but its sole distributer is a piece of loving garbage and limited it to the point where anything beyond dicking around and you're better off going Microsoft
  • ALT+TAB (CMD+TAB) concept is flawed. It groups all apps into one so you can't easily have windows of different apps visible on your screen if you're working on something. For example, if I have 3 Word docs, 2 Excel spreadsheets, 1 PDF, and an email, and I was working in one of the word docs, i could arrange the windows such that I could see it all while I was clonking away. NOT ON A MAC. If you're looking at 1 word doc, you're looking at them all. 1 of the spreadsheets? Nope. They don't treat each window like an independent entity like they do in Windows so multi-tasking is a pain in the rear end

These 'bad designs' could probably be solved with options in the Settings but Apple doesn't believe in customizing a workspace to maximize your efficiency. They care about uniforimity so they can claim their software is superior due to lack of bugs.

When you allow only 18% of the functionality of your (actually good) OS, yeah... I guess you CAN pretend to be "bug free."

Then there's iOS...

this post was brought to you by a macbook air

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

velcro is bad because ti gets all full of dirt and then doesnt work but laces always work anyway you should just get into barefoot running thats wwhat the tarahumara indians do they are born to run and they never have injuries

bullshit starwar i looked at a ton of picks and they all wearing sandals every one of them

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Make it the cool back to the future velcro then, omg.

Another bad design: Cross tip and flat tip screws.

Why the gently caress do we not have standard allen wrench of square heads for these fasteners?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Make it the cool back to the future velcro then, omg.

Another bad design: Cross tip and flat tip screws.

Why the gently caress do we not have standard allen wrench of square heads for these fasteners?

give credit where credit's due, "cross tip"?

it's called a philips head, you loving communist.

but yeah, they can strip and that's pretty loving annoying

allen's hexagonal design is definitely superior but I wish we didn't have to deal with metric vs imperial versions :mad:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

give credit where credit's due, "cross tip"?

it's called a philips head, you loving communist.

but yeah, they can strip and that's pretty loving annoying

allen's hexagonal design is definitely superior but I wish we didn't have to deal with metric vs imperial versions :mad:

I know its phillips but not everyone gets that, I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the cool thing about philips or flathead (esp flathead) is that you don't need the exact loving size screwdriver to use it on things.

meanwhile I have an entire box full of various allen wrenches

• Locked thread