Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

McGiggins posted:

Windowed full screen should be a mandatory-included option on everything these days, and it is surprising that it is not.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to find it in Far Cry 3 and then on further reflection I was saddened that it was rare enough to surprise me.

Edit for new page content:
Does anyone else use remote-controlled drones? I'm designing some new ones and I wonder if 3 small ship welders/grinders is considered sufficient these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to find it in Far Cry 3 and then on further reflection I was saddened that it was rare enough to surprise me.

Edit for new page content:
Does anyone else use remote-controlled drones? I'm designing some new ones and I wonder if 3 small ship welders/grinders is considered sufficient these days.

Use a Twin Welder/Grinder instead of the vanilla versions if you can, they have a much larger area of effect. If you're sticking to vanilla though, yeah that'll probably be fine.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use a Twin Welder/Grinder instead of the vanilla versions if you can, they have a much larger area of effect. If you're sticking to vanilla though, yeah that'll probably be fine.

What's the farthest range on those btw? Last I checked there was no pictures of its effect sphere.

E: Downloaded and checked, it's like a 3 or 4 meter diameter.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 4, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

New question: How do I make my connectors stop exploding?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Try lowering the attraction, they a slider for that now.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Speaking of connectors, apparently they are still applying force even when one of the ends are turned off.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I did some brief testing and activating connectors before landing gear seemed to prevent explosions. If my ships were docked with gear first, both connectors exploded within seconds of engaging lock.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I see people like LastStandGamers showcasing a bunch of small ships gone wild with working oxygen systems, but even with mods I can't seem to get mine to pressurize. Am I missing something?

Also, what's up with the tiny LCDs and the hinge blocks? Just some handy mods?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

I see people like LastStandGamers showcasing a bunch of small ships gone wild with working oxygen systems, but even with mods I can't seem to get mine to pressurize. Am I missing something?

Also, what's up with the tiny LCDs and the hinge blocks? Just some handy mods?

Can you show us a picture of the room you're trying to pressurize? You might've left something unblocked that isn't Airtight or something.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

GotLag posted:

Connector chat

This all seems to have started when my station became a "ship." Before I could dock and lock without issue. I can get magnet-pulled on the connectors no problem and everything is yellow, but right when I lock down it makes a big fiery catastrophe. I'm currently not using landing gears here.

I'm trying to think of some ways around this bug. Maybe putting connectors on advanced pistons and lowering them onto parked ships?

Also there seems to be a bunch of issues with locking-down to another grid at the moment. Landing gear refuse to unlock even after being completely disassembled, and connected ships with connectors will tend to float away while still having connected inventories (I noticed this before the explosions).

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
my SSGW has pressurization problems too it'll eventually fully get pressurized but takes forever even with a vent in any major space. And in the event of a breach takes at least 10sec before the depressurization

I'm assuming that cause it's over 40k blocks atm

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shuffle posted:

my SSGW has pressurization problems too it'll eventually fully get pressurized but takes forever even with a vent in any major space. And in the event of a breach takes at least 10sec before the depressurization

I'm assuming that cause it's over 40k blocks atm

Mine's about the same size (it's something like 42,000 blocks), and takes a few seconds to think about depressurizing as well. Also you can't mention having something that big without showing pictures :colbert:.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mine's about the same size (it's something like 42,000 blocks), and takes a few seconds to think about depressurizing as well. Also you can't mention having something that big without showing pictures :colbert:.

http://imgur.com/a/ODySP

most of these are from before I started to armor it, and some are of the prototype.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shuffle posted:

http://imgur.com/a/ODySP

most of these are from before I started to armor it, and some are of the prototype.

It's 40,000 small blocks? :suspense:

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's 40,000 small blocks? :suspense:

yes

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is it... stable?

Does she... fly?

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Here's the exterior atm, and a gif of the escape pod being jettisoned http://imgur.com/a/HpMv8

It's kinda slow accelerating and decelerating it has the reactor power for probably double the amount of engines atm and it turns well thanks to a bunch of modded gyroscopes

That big gash in the first album happened because the rotor the Pilot's HUD is attached to exploded while going 300m/s it's safe now that rotors and pistons lock when going above 100m/s the landing gears do keep breaking off though so I might ditch them

I'm waiting till planets are released to finish it. I left room behind the cargo containers for a handful of large hydrogen tanks to power it off/on a planet. it can also stay in orbit and I can just build a drop ship that works with the escape pod clamp. It also needs a proper paint job

I looked at the details and it's actually only around 30k blocks, the original one was the 40k+ one

Shuffle fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 5, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shuffle posted:

Here's the exterior atm, and a gif of the escape pod being jettisoned http://imgur.com/a/HpMv8

It's kinda slow accelerating and decelerating it has the reactor power for probably double the amount of engines atm and it turns well thanks to a bunch of modded gyroscopes

That big gash in the first album happened because the rotor the Pilot's HUD is attached to exploded while going 300m/s it's safe now that rotors and pistons lock when going above 100m/s the landing gears do keep breaking off though so I might ditch them

I'm waiting till planets are released to finish it. I left room behind the cargo containers for a handful of large hydrogen tanks to power it off/on a planet. it can also stay in orbit and I can just build a drop ship that works with the escape pod clamp. It also needs a proper paint job

I looked at the details and it's actually only around 30k blocks, the original one was the 40k+ one
Holy poo poo that's crazy.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

And here I thought my 12,000 small block ship was kind of large

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you show us a picture of the room you're trying to pressurize? You might've left something unblocked that isn't Airtight or something.

I'll get around to it. It think I might know what the problem is. The ship still isn't really finished in my mind, so I'll fool around with it some more.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I hope this week's patch stabilizes things somewhat, so I can play again.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I tested connectors again and now they don't explode :confused:

Also, are there any skybox mods that work on dx11? I can't seem to find any.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Huh. Only one of my rooms is pressurized now so at least I know it works. I swear everything is encased fully, though, unless some of the modded doors / hatches / shutters don't count as walls or whatever.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I tested connectors again and now they don't explode :confused:

I've had a lot work for me but the resolution is mad trash so I just rolled with default.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is there a good way to move hydrogen from one take to another aside from parking my fighter onto a special docking spot that attaches to a special generator on the station? With O2 you can do the trick with 2 vents but there is no such option for Hydrogen.

With planets I'm just going to build a big idiot ship that is nothing but O2 tanks that flies into the atmosphere to fill itself up and then docks on the station and dumps the O2 into the station tanks. I dunno if water is more than decorative but if it is I would like to be able to do the same by cracking a ton of hydrogen down there on the surface and loading it up in space so I don't have to worry about ice.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wasn't water confirmed to be "just ice for now" in the follow-ups to the big livestream? So yeah you could easily land a small miner and fill up with a fuckload of it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Verizian posted:

Wasn't water confirmed to be "just ice for now" in the follow-ups to the big livestream? So yeah you could easily land a small miner and fill up with a fuckload of it.

Reminds me of Garrys Mod Spacebuild where I would routinely fly down to a planet, fill up with a shitload of water, then be too heavy to lift off again :allears:

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Ass_Burgerer posted:

They all do now. You don't need to find a DX11 specific one.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Here's what I've been working on:

More pictures here

It's a little bland on the inside. Could use at least a little bit of colour, but it is a work in progress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You made a flying world trade center.

Crash it into a ship for extra irony.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So there's a new cockpit that lets you build stuff without getting out, so you can have proper construction ships now, which is cool.

Also new admin tools.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Here's my work-in-progress (nearly done!) small ship gone wild.

I have funky issues with the airlocks (there aren't any) and I'm on creative so of course it's impossible to depressurize anything when all my oxygen tanks are automatically full. I'm sure in a regular setting it would work and I can just depressurize the cabin before lowering the boarding ramp to exit, but I don't want to mess with survival just to test it.

I'm just trying to spruce up the interior as much as possible now.

It really makes me wish there were a way to upscale to a Large Ship, because I really dig the design and I think on a greater scale it would serve an even better purpose. I mean, the hangar airlock for people on the top would probably be large enough for small fighters.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Wow that's nice looking!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Zodack posted:

I've had a lot work for me but the resolution is mad trash so I just rolled with default.

It's more that the tone mapping is backwards (go inside a dark space like an asteroid or a ship interior and it gets darker instead of the reverse) so when you're in open space the brightness ramps up, which makes any artifacts or low-level gradients stand out like nobody's business.

Hopefully it'll get fixed, one day.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Icedude posted:

So there's a new cockpit that lets you build stuff without getting out, so you can have proper construction ships now, which is cool.

Also new admin tools.

Also apparently soon there will be actual voice comms through into your antenna network :fap:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

RabidGolfCart posted:

More pictures here

It's a little bland on the inside. Could use at least a little bit of colour, but it is a work in progress.

:magical: That's something else right there. I have to know the thought process behind this design.

e:

OwlFancier posted:

You made a flying world trade center.

Crash it into a ship for extra irony.

After looking at the imgur gallery that's what it looks like it's supposed to do. My bad for not checking first.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 6, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Good news! I fixed my creative mode airlock problems by just installing vents attacked to singular air tanks, not connected to the rest of the network. I think in practice I could manage in survival with the regular network (it would get awkward if ALL the tanks filled) but this feels like a nice compromise.

Triskelli posted:

:magical: That's something else right there. I have to know the thought process behind this design.

I didn't even notice until you quoted him that it's something inside a heavy armor cage, and not just a big square.

Is that what it is - a heavy armor cage to protect whatever you have inside?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Again, according to the imgur gallery it's a ship with a rollcage built around it to protect it from collisions and while ramming. Unfortunately there's no crash-test footage; you know what needs to happen next. :killdozer:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If your oxygen tanks are full then just accept the loss from depressurisation.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidGolfCart posted:

More pictures here

You appear to have built a flying Graphics Card, going by that second picture :allears:.

Also, patch notes!

quote:

Summary
With this week’s update we are implementing a feature that enables building directly from the cockpit, a new admin toolset that empowers server admins to better manage their games, and some more bug fixes.
The Space Master (accessed by pressing ALT+F10) empowers server admins to better maintain their servers or to enforce the server rules and create a game environment on the fly (think Dungeon Master). It enables them to teleport where they want, spectate in worlds with a disabled spectator, setup custom trash removal, or manually cycle through ships, stations and characters and then have them deleted, de-powered or stopped. Please bear in mind that this is the first iteration and many more things will be added within the upcoming updates.
Another great new feature is the Construction cockpit that allows you to place new blocks in the exact same ways as you were used to but from the comfort of your small or large ship (by pressing CTRL+G while in cockpit). To be able to build from inside the cockpit you need to have conveyors feeding you the materials directly to the cockpit. You can also use the materials from your character's inventory. Building from cockpit has two modes of usage: “building” just for placing blocks and “classic” where you can use actions like wielding, grinding etc. You can not use the remote control for building from the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7_j80uIyIo

Features
- Space Master (ALT+F10)
- Building from cockpit (CTRL+G)

Fixes
- fixed crash when reconnecting from cryochamber
- fixed wheels too fragile
- fixed hydrogen LODs
- fixed buttons misplaced in G screen graphics
- fixed sound block still playing when it should not be

Looks like we might be getting in-game radio voice chat along with everything else. At this point, with all they're adding, I'm actually expecting them to go to Beta with that patch when it finally happens.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GotLag posted:

If your oxygen tanks are fuel then just accept the loss from depressurisation.

My ship doesn't feature any hydrogen thrusters as of right now because I didn't see any reason to include them (but I can add them on later if I want).

The way I have it set up now, those spare tanks can exist solely for moving the air in and out of rooms while the main ventilation system just provides air to the entire ship.

e: err, wait, hydrogen is stored in hydrogen tanks. Did you mean if my tanks are "full"?

Zodack fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah I did

This is what happens when you're also replying to Workshop comments asking how long your ship's hydrogen thrusters can operate for and have to break out the spreadsheets.

Refineries hopefully fixed tomorrow:
http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/arc-frunace-refinery-not-refining.7360082/#post-1286873399

quote:

Hi guys thx for all your reports were working on this and it should be resolved in tomorrows hotfix! Thx for keeping up!

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2015

• Locked thread