Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I mean mailslot parking isn't going to be a thing forever, they have to come up with solutions once we start reaching huge ships

Outside ring parking most likely

Valatar posted:

The Clipper's length hosed with me for the first several times I docked. I'd get through the slot, rotate to align with the landing pad, then promptly smash a wing on something because the ship's rear end hadn't cleared the slot yet. I've since learned to let the ship coast further into the station before I do any maneuvering. I have to say though, I loving LOVE the thrusters on the Clipper. Even at D rank the ship nearly stops on a dime and is amazingly responsive to all the directional thrusters. It makes life in asteroids far easier than one would expect for a ship that big.

I still can't get it's inertia down right when parking or going through the slot. I can spin around asteroids all day but as soon as I go to park I end up slamming my face into the tower at the end of the landing pad because even full reverse couldn't slow me down enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, they only mentioned "Holiday Season" at first and it's still both coming during that. For me it looks more they gave out real dates now, which is more "narrowing down" and less "changing the story".

:frontear:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've got to admit, the little previews of planetary starports in the Q&A session were pretty awesome, and have me pretty hyped for Horizons.

Has there been any word on how they're doing the SRV? I know it's a module that we need to buy before we use it, but I thought I read somewhere that each ship was getting a new internal slot for it.

I don't want to give up the hull reinforcement on my Vulture for a dope-rear end buggy if I don't have to.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Is there a reasonable way to go about Ranking up with the Feds that will not make me want to blow my brain clear of my head due to boredom? Does just turning in bounties raise navy rank or just, ugh, missions? :smithicide:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, they only mentioned "Holiday Season" at first and it's still both coming during that. For me it looks more they gave out real dates now, which is more "narrowing down" and less "changing the story".

I think you're arguing something entirely different from what I'm saying. Initially there was no indication that 1.5 (Ships) and Horizons (which, as of the last livestream, they are referring to as 2.0) would be a tandem update, then a month or so back they said explicitly that 1.5 and Horizons would be sent out as one update, with the Horizons content locked behind owning the expansion/lifetime pass. As of today they are saying that 1.5 and Horizons will have different beta periods, 1.5 starting on Nov 9th and Horizons starting on Nov 26th, which has lead many to believe that 1.5 will release when the beta period for Horizons begins. And it is widely assumed that The actual release for Horizons will be Dec 16th, as that is when the base game was released in 2014.

Now my personal input is why would they test ships separately if they weren't going to launch it before Horizons, and why are they still using two different version numbers.

In any case it's a difference of two weeks so it doesn't really matter, but you wanted to make it a point of contention so here we are.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I can't remember them explicitly saying 1.5 and Horizons would be part of the same update. They said both would be out at the same time, but that's really not the same thing (e: in my mind at least).

Why does it even matter anyway?

Professor Bling posted:

Has there been any word on how they're doing the SRV? I know it's a module that we need to buy before we use it, but I thought I read somewhere that each ship was getting a new internal slot for it.
Best guess is it'll come as part of a new internal module. They've said it's "four tons", which coincidentally is the same as a class 2 cargo module.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 4, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

I think you're arguing something entirely different from what I'm saying. Initially there was no indication that 1.5 (Ships) and Horizons (which, as of the last livestream, they are referring to as 2.0) would be a tandem update, then a month or so back they said explicitly that 1.5 and Horizons would be sent out as one update, with the Horizons content locked behind owning the expansion/lifetime pass. As of today they are saying that 1.5 and Horizons will have different beta periods, 1.5 starting on Nov 9th and Horizons starting on Nov 26th, which has lead many to believe that 1.5 will release when the beta period for Horizons begins. And it is widely assumed that The actual release for Horizons will be Dec 16th, as that is when the base game was released in 2014.

Now my personal input is why would they test ships separately if they weren't going to launch it before Horizons, and why are they still using two different version numbers.

In any case it's a difference of two weeks so it doesn't really matter, but you wanted to make it a point of contention so here we are.

To be honest here, as soon as I read "widely assumed" and "has lead many to believe" I rolled my eyes. Right now it looks like they could easily just extend the beta for 1.5 to match both release-dates.

For me this looks like a non-problem. As in, I can't even understand what the problem here is supposed to be, so Frontier does a thing and people aggressively misunderstand them? Is that it?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Libluini posted:

so Frontier does a thing and people aggressively misunderstand them? Is that it?

Yes, usually climaxing with :frontear:, followed by a short refractory period before beginning the cycle anew.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Libluini posted:

For me this looks like a non-problem. As in, I can't even understand what the problem here is supposed to be, so Frontier does a thing and people aggressively misunderstand them? Is that it?

timn posted:

Yes, usually climaxing with :frontear:, followed by a short refractory period before beginning the cycle anew.

Hey! The puppets aren't supposed to see the strings!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Not to interrupt all this speculation but I just want to bring up a cool and great thing I just learned in case there are others who haven't. You know those missions to kill civilians that pay out a lot? They're super easy but that's not the cool and great thing. They've got a really neat difference compared to the pirate-killing missions:
NPCs who follow you and ask you to pull over and talk to them about an alternative mission are mission targets :unsmigghh:

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 5, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
It's too bad dropping in on thier wakes is a pain in the rear end and never worth it. Why we can't navlock them is a mystery.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

To be honest here, as soon as I read "widely assumed" and "has lead many to believe" I rolled my eyes. Right now it looks like they could easily just extend the beta for 1.5 to match both release-dates.

More Frontier/Braben says vague/contrary things, doesn't clarify, and people are left trying to make a best guess at the actual non-beta release dates. Most players don't really care that much about the beta since nothing is permenant in terms of progression or the BGS, so the beta will only answer questions to the things left as mysteries up to this point (like everything about the clipper aside from the name), so those people couldn't care less about knowing when the beta starts, only when they will be able to play with new stuff in the live version.

And just to be clear, do you or don't you think they are being released on the same day?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Libluini posted:

C'mon dude. That's like this thread's signature move.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AndroidHub posted:

And just to be clear, do you or don't you think they are being released on the same day?

Who cares really? Both should be out by the end of the year (unless FDEV miss their timeline), and Beta for 1.5 starts next week. It can also be assumed that Horizons and 1.5 are different branches (one is bringing 9mo work on planets in, the other is based on the 1.1, 1.2 etc branch). In that case, starting the 1.5 beta first would make sense (if its to be the foundation of the base game, where Horizons plugs in for those that bought it).

In other news, here is the DB Q&A.

• Beta will come in two stages: 1.5 launches on week commencing Nov 9th, and Horizons 2.0 on Nov 24th
  • Want to do NPC Wingmates & Crew. Planned, but no timescale.
  • Schematic map for use on planets coming soon
  • Rings will cast shadows on planet's surface, but no timescale.
  • Orrery map still planned, but no timescale. Will be at back end of Season 2 if it makes it in.
  • Player groups functionality in game. 'Yes, but...' recognising player groups as sub-factions is the start, but it won't be exactly like other game's mechanics.
  • Loot/Crafting: Simple bits will be in 2.0
  • Tier 2 persistent NPCs: Won't be in the sense that you can kill off all NPCs in galaxy, but small additions will come sequentially. No timeframe.
  • Played it on Vive today. 'It's awesome'. Buggies didn't make him feel sick. Getting excessively tumbled did make another player who was more prone to motion sickness feel that way.
  • Shark-tooth skin for the Python? Would love it, and they're looking into it, but no promises.
  • Asp scout? Not military version, another variant. More like the Asp out of Frontier. Slightly more budget.
  • When will we see significant updates to the base game? DB counters that piracy forms & bounty hunting, and new professions (mining) are significant improvements. 'It's getting better by degrees'. EDIT - Says they want to improve the use of Wings in bounty hunting and piracy, and that the story reasons for pursuing such professions will improve through Season 2.
  • Turret with Hotas? You can configure as you like. Hat button etc.
  • Plans to expand astronomical phenomenon? Accretion discs etc? Would love to do it. On the list. Comets are in the simulation, but getting them to look good and interact well with gameplay still need to be got right. You will be able to see medium-sized 'potato' asteroids even if you don't have Horizons.
  • Is Elite an MMORPG? By almost all measures, but suggests quality / connection limits means it can still improve over time.
  • Do you consider support for Force Feedback Joysticks or Wheels? Actually that would be a really good thing to do. Yes we should do it.
  • Did he ever imagine in '84 Elite could look like this? Imagine yes :). Talks about under-promise, over-deliver in terms of creating impressive modern content.
  • Vid of buggy driving into settlement with Corvette nearby :)
  • How settlements work with single-player? Use deep ravines to approach 'under the guns' etc. The big guns don't decline etc. Only have to deal with the lighter skimmers. Could take out a generator, and both the lights and the big guns go down. Then call your ship in (if you've got all the generators). There are lots of bases, and they're varied.
  • NICE! SRV being lowered out of a Cobra, internal view as you exit. Animation looks good. Drives to large base. Hexagonal heat radiators.
  • Plans to reduce current transition phases? Yes, and they're constantly being worked on. (Some regions, and some connections, have excessive transitions now, and they're working on them)
  • Character creator will be used for NPCS? Yes, and planned. But not straight away.
  • Keelback? Lakon ship. You'll see in a week. Based on Type 6, but better, with more weaponry.
  • How are the DDF 'near God-like powers' re background sim coming? Straight apology on slow progress. At some point there will be something to address that, but not for now.
  • Buggy too jerky in streams? Some were filmed with TrackIR, which can be less pleasurable for viewer than player, maybe the cause of concern.
  • High end FerDeLance? Not sure where this rumour came from. Not ready to talk about that yet.
  • Thargoids? Well.... He was impressed by Cmdr who decoded the signals. There's more exciting stuff to come.
  • Will capital ships be improved to be more fun to play with/against? Yes, there's more to come.
  • Asteroid stations? You can sort of see the first vestiges them in CQC. They will come. Don't have a timeframe. Hopefully back-end of Season 2.
  • More CGs to expand the human bubble? Yes, he thinks they're wonderful. Absolutely yes.
  • Are you going to play SC? Yes, looking forward to playing it.
  • Can you conquer planetary bases? Can attack, but can't have your own one. Not yet anyway.
  • NPCs in Horizons? NPCs driving skimmers already. NPCs driving buggies [?] unlikely in Season 2. Planetary ships, yes.
  • Game API? Looking at, in pipeline.
  • Transfer creds after certain rank? Suggest the cargo transfer, so not seen as a priority. Has air of exploit if done on large scale. (Says big cheaters are being banned).
  • Expand 32 player cap? Could, but experience would suffer. Continually reviewing.
  • Jettison all cargo? Why?? You don't have to do it ;). Makes your ship lighter. And it's a surprise.
  • Passengers? Planned, but can't remember exact timescale.
  • Cutter / Corvette? Both slightly bigger/longer than Anaconda, and have bigger hardpoints. And fit through the slot.
  • What will you see 20k from Sol? You will see more exotic things, there will be things to find, but doesn't want to spoil
  • [Missed question] - Looking at how Horizons and non-Horizons Wings perform missions together.
  • Planetary approach suite fits in every ship. SRV takes up 4t of cargo space. Doesn't take up compartment.
  • Multi-sourced lighting? On the list. Might only come in High and Ultra settings. No promises.
  • Will we see Cmdr faces through visors etc / when communicating? Yes face normally clear because ship pressurised.
  • More difference between stations? It's coming, not sure when. Probably not in 2.0
  • Vessels over Season 2? First variants will be similar to the SRV, then more down the line. Handle differently and do different things.
  • Ship naming? (Did we promised that? :)). He wants it. Says we will do it. I'll talk to the team tomorrow.
  • Systems visited bookmarks? Doesn't know.
  • Models or kits coming? Models yes, not kits that he knows of.
  • Publishing the lore? Wants to. And bringing story more to fore.
  • Large cities? Ever bigger settlements coming. Big cities not in 2.0, but will come over the Season.
  • SRV inside stations? Currently no, and probably not. Will look if worth doing.
  • Is orbital cruise and instanced area? At the moment pretty seamless. Isn't sure on details on where the transition is. There is instancing on the surface.
  • They have rough ship layouts, but no walking etc in Season 2
  • Are there -edit- non-shark Thargoid species?[??] YES! [What? Who the hell asked that question? :D]
  • [Mumbled] If you're in a wing should be able to share exploration data. Will look into it.
  • More CQC maps in 1.5, then more after.
  • Supercruise bug? He will ask after this stream.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ship names would be loving amazing.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

More interested on the schematic and orrery maps myself. Orrery views would be very nice to have (as we had in Elite2/3), and it makes sense to have different map views for each celestial object (as per DDF).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 5, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dante80 posted:

Who cares really? Both should be out by the end of the year (unless FDEV miss their timeline), and Beta for 1.5 starts next week. It can also be assumed that Horizons and 1.5 are different branches (one is bringing 9mo work on planets in, the other is based on the 1.1, 1.2 etc branch). In that case, starting the 1.5 beta first would make sense (if its to be the foundation of the base game, where Horizons plugs in for those that bought it).

In other news, here is the DB Q&A.

• Beta will come in two stages: 1.5 launches on week commencing Nov 9th, and Horizons 2.0 on Nov 24th
  • Want to do NPC Wingmates & Crew. Planned, but no timescale.
  • Schematic map for use on planets coming soon
  • Rings will cast shadows on planet's surface, but no timescale.
  • Orrery map still planned, but no timescale. Will be at back end of Season 2 if it makes it in.
  • Player groups functionality in game. 'Yes, but...' recognising player groups as sub-factions is the start, but it won't be exactly like other game's mechanics.
  • Loot/Crafting: Simple bits will be in 2.0
  • Tier 2 persistent NPCs: Won't be in the sense that you can kill off all NPCs in galaxy, but small additions will come sequentially. No timeframe.
  • Played it on Vive today. 'It's awesome'. Buggies didn't make him feel sick. Getting excessively tumbled did make another player who was more prone to motion sickness feel that way.
  • Shark-tooth skin for the Python? Would love it, and they're looking into it, but no promises.
  • Asp scout? Not military version, another variant. More like the Asp out of Frontier. Slightly more budget.
  • When will we see significant updates to the base game? DB counters that piracy forms & bounty hunting, and new professions (mining) are significant improvements. 'It's getting better by degrees'. EDIT - Says they want to improve the use of Wings in bounty hunting and piracy, and that the story reasons for pursuing such professions will improve through Season 2.
  • Turret with Hotas? You can configure as you like. Hat button etc.
  • Plans to expand astronomical phenomenon? Accretion discs etc? Would love to do it. On the list. Comets are in the simulation, but getting them to look good and interact well with gameplay still need to be got right. You will be able to see medium-sized 'potato' asteroids even if you don't have Horizons.
  • Is Elite an MMORPG? By almost all measures, but suggests quality / connection limits means it can still improve over time.
  • Do you consider support for Force Feedback Joysticks or Wheels? Actually that would be a really good thing to do. Yes we should do it.
  • Did he ever imagine in '84 Elite could look like this? Imagine yes :). Talks about under-promise, over-deliver in terms of creating impressive modern content.
  • Vid of buggy driving into settlement with Corvette nearby :)
  • How settlements work with single-player? Use deep ravines to approach 'under the guns' etc. The big guns don't decline etc. Only have to deal with the lighter skimmers. Could take out a generator, and both the lights and the big guns go down. Then call your ship in (if you've got all the generators). There are lots of bases, and they're varied.
  • NICE! SRV being lowered out of a Cobra, internal view as you exit. Animation looks good. Drives to large base. Hexagonal heat radiators.
  • Plans to reduce current transition phases? Yes, and they're constantly being worked on. (Some regions, and some connections, have excessive transitions now, and they're working on them)
  • Character creator will be used for NPCS? Yes, and planned. But not straight away.
  • Keelback? Lakon ship. You'll see in a week. Based on Type 6, but better, with more weaponry.
  • How are the DDF 'near God-like powers' re background sim coming? Straight apology on slow progress. At some point there will be something to address that, but not for now.
  • Buggy too jerky in streams? Some were filmed with TrackIR, which can be less pleasurable for viewer than player, maybe the cause of concern.
  • High end FerDeLance? Not sure where this rumour came from. Not ready to talk about that yet.
  • Thargoids? Well.... He was impressed by Cmdr who decoded the signals. There's more exciting stuff to come.
  • Will capital ships be improved to be more fun to play with/against? Yes, there's more to come.
  • Asteroid stations? You can sort of see the first vestiges them in CQC. They will come. Don't have a timeframe. Hopefully back-end of Season 2.
  • More CGs to expand the human bubble? Yes, he thinks they're wonderful. Absolutely yes.
  • Are you going to play SC? Yes, looking forward to playing it.
  • Can you conquer planetary bases? Can attack, but can't have your own one. Not yet anyway.
  • NPCs in Horizons? NPCs driving skimmers already. NPCs driving buggies [?] unlikely in Season 2. Planetary ships, yes.
  • Game API? Looking at, in pipeline.
  • Transfer creds after certain rank? Suggest the cargo transfer, so not seen as a priority. Has air of exploit if done on large scale. (Says big cheaters are being banned).
  • Expand 32 player cap? Could, but experience would suffer. Continually reviewing.
  • Jettison all cargo? Why?? You don't have to do it ;). Makes your ship lighter. And it's a surprise.
  • Passengers? Planned, but can't remember exact timescale.
  • Cutter / Corvette? Both slightly bigger/longer than Anaconda, and have bigger hardpoints. And fit through the slot.
  • What will you see 20k from Sol? You will see more exotic things, there will be things to find, but doesn't want to spoil
  • [Missed question] - Looking at how Horizons and non-Horizons Wings perform missions together.
  • Planetary approach suite fits in every ship. SRV takes up 4t of cargo space. Doesn't take up compartment.
  • Multi-sourced lighting? On the list. Might only come in High and Ultra settings. No promises.
  • Will we see Cmdr faces through visors etc / when communicating? Yes face normally clear because ship pressurised.
  • More difference between stations? It's coming, not sure when. Probably not in 2.0
  • Vessels over Season 2? First variants will be similar to the SRV, then more down the line. Handle differently and do different things.
  • Ship naming? (Did we promised that? :)). He wants it. Says we will do it. I'll talk to the team tomorrow.
  • Systems visited bookmarks? Doesn't know.
  • Models or kits coming? Models yes, not kits that he knows of.
  • Publishing the lore? Wants to. And bringing story more to fore.
  • Large cities? Ever bigger settlements coming. Big cities not in 2.0, but will come over the Season.
  • SRV inside stations? Currently no, and probably not. Will look if worth doing.
  • Is orbital cruise and instanced area? At the moment pretty seamless. Isn't sure on details on where the transition is. There is instancing on the surface.
  • They have rough ship layouts, but no walking etc in Season 2
  • Are there -edit- non-shark Thargoid species?[??] YES! [What? Who the hell asked that question? :D]
  • [Mumbled] If you're in a wing should be able to share exploration data. Will look into it.
  • More CQC maps in 1.5, then more after.
  • Supercruise bug? He will ask after this stream.

Dante80 confirmed for own. Very good write up!

He also mentioned that usually your commander doesn't wear a full head helm inside your ship, and that when your cabin depressurizes it's an emergency visor that pops out of your flight suit's collar, like an airbag.

That much is already in the game, you can see the edges of the visor when you lose life support for any reason. It also apparently has a simple HUD of its own, if only to ominously tick down your remaining air supply.

Also he mentioned one of the main things they are keeping in mind as they revamp piracy is it will also completely change up how one experiences getting pirated which was an interesting comment.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, Orrery views are a must if multicrew/wing exploration is a thing they actually want players to do, which I think will be a blast if we can dock ships equipped with FSD drives into larger ships and not just condors and ifighters. That does all hinge on how multicrew works in terms of embarking though. It would also give D-rank FSDs a use since you would only need them for supercruise on the smaller ships (though it might be nice to have bigger ones in-case the mothership gets stuck without fuel somewhere).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Dante80 posted:

More interested on the schematic and orrery maps myself. Orrery views would be very nice to have (as we had in Elite2/3), and it makes sense to have different map views for each celestial object (as per DDF).

God yes, the system maps in their current state are absolute garbage. I don't know why anyone thought having non-scale representations of a system in a game where travel time is nontrivial was a good idea, unless it was specifically to turn Hutton Orbital into the in-joke that it is today.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ship names would be loving amazing.

This and NPC crew members are the things I'm most excited about. Granted, I'm super weird...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Now that's interesting! Not that inane argument about release dates (and I really don't care if they're on the same day as long as they aren't months or years apart), but real fun stuff!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

3 posted:

God yes, the system maps in their current state are absolute garbage. I don't know why anyone thought having non-scale representations of a system in a game where travel time is nontrivial was a good idea, unless it was specifically to turn Hutton Orbital into the in-joke that it is today.
Alpha Centauri's been an in joke since 1993. Frontier had an orrery view too, so it's not like it'd make any difference.

Used to be called Eden Station though, not Hutton Orbital. They must've renamed it to try and catch us out again.... But I knew better. Fool me once Braben! :argh:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Trustworthy posted:

NPC crew members

This is one of my top, not-so-important things I'd love to see because I spent 125 million spacebux on an Anaconda and I'm driving this bitch myself? gently caress. THAT.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:frontear: in my favor if it sticks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hahaha there was another one of those awhile ago except it was just a difference of 2.5 million or something. Anyone remember if that one actually counted or if it was just visual?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Met posted:

:frontear: in my favor if it sticks.

poo poo, I'm in the 33% club, somebody hurry up and pass me so I can be a theoretical space rich!

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

It's spelled "Alexshankezchloebillyandrew" but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shine posted:

It's spelled "Alexshankezchloebillyandrew" but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove.

:golfclap: Please tell me this guy was also flying a luxury yacht an Orca

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Literally Kermit posted:

Also he mentioned one of the main things they are keeping in mind as they revamp piracy is it will also completely change up how one experiences getting pirated which was an interesting comment.

Frontier, I am ready to accept my webifier modules. Please let me know when the market is seeded so I can plot a course to the nearest hi-tech system. Thanks.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Don't forget that they can tell stolen fish from bought fish.

so get a friend to buy fish, drop it in space, then you scoop. all well and good

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

so get a friend to buy fish, drop it in space, then you scoop. all well and good

Tried that with a newbie goon some time back - the stuff I dropped (and didn't abandon) was actually marked 'salvage' rather than 'stolen'. :frontear:?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Tried that with a newbie goon some time back - the stuff I dropped (and didn't abandon) was actually marked 'salvage' rather than 'stolen'. :frontear:?

Do it half assed. Have your buddy get some cargo limpet thingies, drop your shield, let him wrench your hole open and stick his grubby fist inside.

Don't do it winged up.

That technically should count as stealing.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Hi everyone,

In yesterday’s live stream (you can view it here if you missed it). David Braben answered many questions including the dates for the various upcoming betas. The first beta will be for the 1.5 content and will commence some time next week. This will be followed by the Horizons planetary landing beta on the week of the 23rd November.

David’s sneak peek last week showed some of the settlement action so I’ll describe some aspects of this in more detail. Ports and settlements are the upper end of the scale of locations you can discover on planet’s surfaces. They can vary in size themselves from huge, established conglomerations of structures to quite small outposts. Surface starports are generally the largest and they act in a similar way to the starports in orbit. They can have the same facilities and have economies dependent on the type of world and with specific variations depending on the starport itself. New economy types have been added that only apply to surface starports.

As with the orbital starports, missions can be taken from surface starports and they can take you to surface bases. Similarly missions can be issued from orbital starports that require visiting the surface – assuming you have the ability to do so. There are also new mission variants that apply only to surface operations.

Complementing this is a range of resources and commodities that are only available from surface starports or by collection from points of interest as I mentioned last week. We’re also adding a new type of method for locating resources and uses for them which is a prelude for the loot and crafting system coming later in the Horizons season – more on this soon.

The surface starports and settlements are where the population of these airless worlds live and present various opportunities for Commanders. The style and layout of these facilities reflects their purpose. One of my favourite examples of this is the prison colony – this is an imposing and well-guarded structure that you might need to penetrate to facilitate a prison break.

Surface installations are a lot more open than orbital stations. Of course you can collect and deliver goods from surface bases, but it is also possible to hack data links, sections of bases get power from specific generators – taking out those generators takes out the lights in that section, but also the power to the turrets… Skimmers can also be taken out, or taking out the towers that control them can be just as effective way of breaching the defences. Whether it’s a secret research base or a prison colony, there are multiple stages to carrying out your objectives.

As we’ve shown and mentioned already it is advisable to take a flexible approach to these settlements – some of them are protected by capital ship scale weaponry that is lethal against ships, although less so against the SRVs – both because of their slower motion, but also they have a minimum angle of declination – so a Scarab can use the landscape to stay below the guns in most cases. Smaller turrets and skimmers are more of a threat to the SRVs. If you’re operating in a wing then each Commander can work in different roles at the same time, but even on your own you can achieve the same effect more slowly by switching between your ship and SRV accordingly.

Depending on the world’s population there can be none, a few, or many of these surface starports and settlements. As you’d expect they’re more common within the human habited bubble, but they’re not exclusive to that volume. Similar crime and ownership rules apply to settlements and ports as they do to space stations and outposts. Some of these can be lawless, others where the law is enforced – so take care before opening fire! As well as the bounties available at these sites you can encounter settlements in a state of war which can be engaged in a similar fashion to combat zones.

So far we’ve focused on the locations and the more action orientated gameplay, but naturally there’s more to planetary landings than that. I’ve already talked about the points of interest you can discover, but how you find them utilises a new device on the SRV, in addition to the ground scanner you have already seen. This works very differently to the ship scanners and we’ll reveal more about this next week.

Having said all this, we are still at work on the base game too. This week we updated the galaxy sim that fixes an issue with asset ownership not flipping when a conflict is resolved. A cap on influence changes has been added – this scales depending on the population of the system (a higher population allows a bigger swing) and the degree of changes (so a large value of changes allows more change in influence) and limits the maximum amount of change in a system when the background simulation effects are calculated. This will prevent the massive swings that we’ve seen, but a concerted campaign can still bring a faction down quickly if it is not countered. For the player group minor factions that were affected by the massive drops we’ll reset them to their initial ownership state where we can.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/331

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FDev posted:

A cap on influence changes has been added – this scales depending on the population of the system (a higher population allows a bigger swing) and the degree of changes (so a large value of changes allows more change in influence) and limits the maximum amount of change in a system when the background simulation effects are calculated. This will prevent the massive swings that we’ve seen, but a concerted campaign can still bring a faction down quickly if it is not countered. For the player group minor factions that were affected by the massive drops we’ll reset them to their initial ownership state where we can.

Motherfucker. God damned crybabies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They did it again: Instead of just saying what the new ships can do, we have to wait until the beta starts and players find out the hard way. This secrecy bullshit is one of the few really irritating things about :frontear:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Libluini posted:

They did it again: Instead of just saying what the new ships can do, we have to wait until the beta starts and players find out the hard way. This secrecy bullshit is one of the few really irritating things about :frontear:

Believe it or not, I find it endearing. I wanna know what a Cobra Mk IV does in the worst loving way, because I would sell everything and just poo poo around and have adventures on all the worlds, forever.

LCL-Dead posted:

Motherfucker. God damned crybabies.

Not often the main course regenerates and comes back for seconds :getin:

I'm about to point blank say what we've been doing to some player factions influences using the 'exploit' of killing their police ships. I will be as nice but blunt as possible.

That said, I'm all for re-balancing the BGS instead of, say, not addressing the problem at all for a month or two. If I understand the 'nerf' correctly, it makes a system of say, nine loving billion harder to swing, which what was originally intended anyway! (also makes us flipping loser systems a lot easier, and we are surrounded by loser systems)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It'd be cool if you could raise system population by trading food and wine and slaves.

And lower it by causing civil war. :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

Believe it or not, I find it endearing. I wanna know what a Cobra Mk IV does in the worst loving way, because I would sell everything and just poo poo around and have adventures on all the worlds, forever.

I'd probably find it endearing, too -I just played EVE Online for too long. The EVE-devs have a similarly endearing way of gleefully describing what new ships can do months in advance. So Frontier stumps me extra hard since they're the exact opposite. :v:

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.

Shine posted:

A moment of silence please for Literally Kermit, who exploded in a HazRES after an excitable wingman rammed his Courier with a Vulture.

It is my deepest shame.

Drake_263 posted:

I salvaged a wreckage the other day and it counted as stolen. What even is this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I made a pro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuyn8_qrUE

NPCs being silly

Also you can watch it in full screen and pretend you're an ace pilot like me :)

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 5, 2015

• Locked thread