Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheRagamuffin posted:

This is more how I'd imagine it working. I just miss playing a primarily CC-oriented class, and Blue Mage seems like a perfect fit for that. :(

Enters raid, everything is immune to all spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Every class is viable but obviously PLD and AST are completely outclassed and the possibility of switching jobs in this raid tier is really only supported by 1.) people with multiple alt accounts or 2.) people who have already cleared the content so it doesn't even matter.

Take out job specific gear, make melee gear shared, and make some sort of compromise with the growing number of jobs vs. time to level them to max and then I'm down for adding jobs and gently caress the balance.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
It is super balls that my PLD is so outclassed yet I bought my eso stuff with it and I can't just transfer that to Warrior. No idea what they were thinking with that bullshit, at least let us trade up the eso gear or something if it has to be god damned class specific. I'm hoping that they just fix the classes in the patch though, then it won't be such a huge issue.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I swapped jobs twice before clearing A4S. Job specific gear is torture and I hope they never do it again but they probably will when they have another AF set they want to roll out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They really should have made the new AF be the Law gear instead of the Esoteric tome gear.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Or just have it be not raid gear cause no one cares.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm confused about there being such a disconnect between how we perceive the usefulness of PLD/AST/SMN and how the team at S-E is reacting to it

is this another one of those moments were the JP playerbase is doing something completely different and they're not looking outside of their own borders?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ilifinicus posted:

I'm confused about there being such a disconnect between how we perceive the usefulness of PLD/AST/SMN and how the team at S-E is reacting to it

is this another one of those moments were the JP playerbase is doing something completely different and they're not looking outside of their own borders?

no, the hate for pld and ast are shared, especially ast, god drat. smn they don't seem to have a problem with and even welcome over blm in fights like a4s because they can do things like be the orb bitch while still doing okay dps with their dots

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ilifinicus posted:

With PLD I get the feelings it's more of a:
'dude, PLD's suck because they do the least numbers'
and SE's all 'that's right, they do. that's intentional.'
'no no no, these numbers are WAY to low'
'ok, we'll check that (and newer encounters aren't so magic damage heavy so don't worry about that etc.)'

While with SMN vs. BLM it's more that encounter mechanics favor SMN more since they can do a lot of movement and DPS at the same time while BLM has to turret more. There's nothing really new there and there will probably be fights where BLM's can turret more down the line. (The inherent problem with trying to do long-term balance changes based on end game raiding: end game raiding changes.)

Dunno about AST problems aside from the whole 'their healing numbers suck' deal.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
A ninja asking the tank to stop spinning the mobs. The second picture is him meeting up with the same tank in another dungeon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Magical.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

A ninja asking the tank to stop spinning the mobs. The second picture is him meeting up with the same tank in another dungeon.

:catstare:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Blacking out the names of the guilty. What is this carebear?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like even if that was remotely how poo poo worked in this game, you're a tank. Taking one for the team is literally your job.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Conspicuously the nin's replies are also blacked out. I wonder what he is hiding.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
From that Provoke message that looks like Neverreap second island. You can't really avoid spinning the mobs there if you tank them in that little alleyway in the middle, at least if you want to keep on hitting the mobs instead of going full 0 dps.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AF gear owns and I hope every new iLevel tier introduces a new set.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

From that Provoke message that looks like Neverreap second island. You can't really avoid spinning the mobs there if you tank them in that little alleyway in the middle, at least if you want to keep on hitting the mobs instead of going full 0 dps.

I must not have the right definition for "spinning", because all I see in my head is a tank endlessly circlestrafting the things he's hitting. Which I find stupid and un-necessary. Most of the mobs on that second island do PBAoEs, (excepting the wamoura), not cones, so I guess I have to ask OP, just what exactly is meant by "spinning"? Because if the person is complaining about the sidestepping that a tank does to dodge conal AoEs, that's very dumb.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Blacking out the names of the guilty. What is this carebear?

I got it from reddit.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Holyshoot posted:

There are actually a couple bosses where spinning messes with the enemies casting, the final boss of haukke manor for example can be soloed after all the adds are dead if you continuously circle the boss since her fire cast only works if you're in front of her.

Generally the tank shouldn't be doing this though.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Tenzarin posted:

Enters raid, everything is immune to all spells.

True. :negative:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Goon static on A3S looking for a Sch please read OP.

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27576&pid=111098#pid111098

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

holy gently caress this Bob Ross thing fullscreen on my laptop blows my loving mind it's so chill

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, there's probably a really easy way to make tank accessories worth a drat: give them extra defense.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

You know, there's probably a really easy way to make tank accessories worth a drat: give them extra defense.

I have zero idea why they don't do this. Strip the damage substats off of them (to make Accuracy from the tank stance more desirable, and to devalue them for DPS classes), add some PDef and MDef, and call it a day. It wouldn't even gently caress up PvP balance because PDef and MDef are disabled in it.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Then you won't use them anyway because 4 man content by design gives a canyon wide margin for healing and people are going to take advantage of it. They could tune AA damage to the passive mitigation on accessories but this in effect puts pressure on healing which defeats the purpose of undertuning content and I think for healers bad enough to complain about STR tanks this isn't an improvement for them. Would give fending a use in raids I guess, nothing for the people in DF though. People are taking advantage of the massive margins easy content gives you, certain people like doing nothing with this margin and will argue with people who do.

Also I'm pretty sure I know who that healer is, his name is Wb Connor from Coeurl.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fishious posted:

Also I'm pretty sure I know who that healer is, his name is Wb Connor from Coeurl.

Are they as dumb as they come across here?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Belzac posted:

Though actually looking at it both smn and mch are about half as used as their respective other job in thier same role so I guess it's 3 jobs but really two fully unused jobs and two kinda unused jobs.

BLMs are just way better than SMNs. Higher DPS, infinite resources, and rarely ever have to do mechanics that require movement unless they're randomly targeted at (earthshaker, carnage, etc).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fishious posted:

Then you won't use them anyway because 4 man content by design gives a canyon wide margin for healing and people are going to take advantage of it. They could tune AA damage to the passive mitigation on accessories but this in effect puts pressure on healing which defeats the purpose of undertuning content and I think for healers bad enough to complain about STR tanks this isn't an improvement for them. Would give fending a use in raids I guess, nothing for the people in DF though. People are taking advantage of the massive margins easy content gives you, certain people like doing nothing with this margin and will argue with people who do.

Everything in savage alex has tight dps checks to where it's generally best for tanks to go whole ham with str anyway, as you still don't need vit to survive tankbusters or anything really.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Everything in savage alex has tight dps checks to where it's generally best for tanks to go whole ham with str anyway, as you still don't need vit to survive tankbusters or anything really.

Nah I mean that's exactly my point, I think adding defense to accessories is a decent idea but you need the content to require that extra defense, which it currently doesn't and regardless of what they do with savage easy 4 man content will always have that massive margin.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fishious posted:

Nah I mean that's exactly my point, I think adding defense to accessories is a decent idea but you need the content to require that extra defense, which it currently doesn't and regardless of what they do with savage easy 4 man content will always have that massive margin.

As a proper paradigm shift, it's something they can only really do in a keystone patch (4.0 I guess?), but it's something they should really do if they want tanks to ever take Vitality seriously, and they can start with raids basically at any point - it's not like making older raids easier matters is even a negatiive, especially with Echo being how it is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Niton posted:

As a proper paradigm shift, it's something they can only really do in a keystone patch (4.0 I guess?), but it's something they should really do if they want tanks to ever take Vitality seriously, and they can start with raids basically at any point - it's not like making older raids easier matters is even a negatiive, especially with Echo being how it is.

I'm pretty sure they sad they're changing up tank accessories in 3.2.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Besides somewhat crappy burst damage, what's the issue with SMN? Their AoE DoTs are pretty great.

edit: if tanking accessories had an enmity generator of some sort (on top of adding defense) I'd find it to be a lot more valuable over strength accessories.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Besides somewhat crappy burst damage, what's the issue with SMN?

The big problem is specifically in AS4. There's a cheesy strategy involving healer LB3 to negate a certain mechanic which doesn't work very well with DPS classes that have finite mana pools like SMN. Other than that, they've been really solid throughout the expansion, unless there's something in the higher Savage floors I don't know about.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

Besides somewhat crappy burst damage, what's the issue with SMN? Their AoE DoTs are pretty great.

edit: if tanking accessories had an enmity generator of some sort (on top of adding defense) I'd find it to be a lot more valuable over strength accessories.

They're likely going to decouple strength as the tanks damage modifier either that or they're going to restrict future jewelry to specific classes and the most you can get is the one material slot for a str meld since you won't be able to overmeld mainstats anymore.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

seiferguy posted:

Even that isn't too valuable, since a decent tank can do just fine keeping aggro as is. More defense would be maybe the only acceptable thing if it in turn allows healers to heal less and DPS more, but they'd have to be DPSing a lot to make up for the tank having 200 less str. In the current meta, it all comes down to DPS.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dr Pepper posted:

What are you even talking about.

Machinist is basically a slightly modified Bard and Astrologian has like 15 copy pasted White Mage skills. It's kind of obvious that SE has a specific group comp in mind when designing encounters and aren't willing to take the risk of designing new classes that are truly unique from others within their given role. Which is why it's super dumb that they made class specific gear for otherwise mostly interchangeable classes. It's basically variety for the sake of variety.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Machinist and Bard are similar in that they're ranged physical dps classes with variable dps and support mechanics but how they get there is very different.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm pretty sure they sad they're changing up tank accessories in 3.2.
They are. Meldable jewelry will no longer be possible to use on tanks, and raid drop level jewelry will be 'the best possible that you can get'. They're also aiming to change tanks using strength over vitality jewelry so we'll see some kind of actual radical change to make that happen. SE apparently very unhappy with the current tank meta.

• Locked thread