Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think I heard the creator of Minesweeper is a white nationalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I think I heard the creator of Minesweeper is a white nationalist

You can win every game of minesweeper by clicking all the tiles in a swastika pattern.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Skwirl posted:

I still don't understand why people wouldn't buy this guy's games on moral grounds. Game sucks or is overpriced for what it is, even just wanting to limit online purchases to a few trusted sites like GOG or Steam, all of those I understand, but I don't know what he did that makes people say "you shouldn't buy from him." Question his decisions and make fun of him all you want, but a flat out boycott I don't understand.

That debate's come up around Doug TenNapel's Kickstarter campaigns too. If the guy actually gets some of your money (as opposed to an old game that only the publisher gets money for) then it becomes a lot more complicated.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 1, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I admit to having a skewed opinion in the opposite direction, since Roman Polanski and Woody Allen are two of my favorite directors. But I think you should generally separate the art from the artist.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When it comes to someone like Polanski, I can't, because some of why he got away with what he did was his celebrity, to which I contribute to in some way by enjoying/paying for/talking about his work. So a total separation isn't possible, I have to decide to either have nothing to do with his stuff or accept whatever taste it leaves behind. Where we get into trouble is people who can't do this and prefer to either not think of the bad stuff or whitewash it. Some folks just can't stand any level of discomfort.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

You can win every game of minesweeper by clicking all the tiles in a swastika pattern.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Someone should try and play a multiplayer game of Star Wars: Rebellion with me. This a good and cool idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerJ posted:

That debate's come up around Doug TenNapel's Kickstarter campaigns too. If the guy actually gets some of your money (as opposed to an old game that only the publisher gets money for) then it becomes a lot more complicated.

Yeah that one hits me close. I really loved the Neverhood and bought TenNapel's art book, but then found out about his extremely vocal and toxic attitudes and decided not to contribute to Armikrog, even though I've been begging for a Neverhood sequel for years. :smith: (Apparently reviews so far are mixed so I may not be missing out)

Another example is the Brutal Doom mod / wad for Doom, if you go into the Old School FPS thread every 30 pages or so somebody has to bring up the fact that SGT Mark is a racist shitheel and then the thread devolves into arguing over whether that means you shouldn't like it or whether that doesn't matter, also whether "brutal doom is doomier than doom" or not :v:

Ultimately I say enjoy the art for what it is, regardless of the author or their intent, but yeah kickstarter campaigns felt like going a little too far to me.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I guess it's subjective but I don't really give a drat about whatever personal drama goes on with a developer or publisher, just as long as they deliver a good game. I mean, Ubisoft and EA are clearly evil but I still enjoy some of the their games, for example. Brutal Doom is an awesome mod even if Sargent Mark is a total douche-lord.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 3, 2015

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

The Big Fall Sale started this morning with System Shock 2, Chronicles of Riddick and Banished being free for anyone who spends 5, 15 and 30 dollars respectively during the sale.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Matthaeus posted:

The Big Fall Sale started this morning with System Shock 2, Chronicles of Riddick and Banished being free for anyone who spends 5, 15 and 30 dollars respectively during the sale.

Which means I've got a System Shock 2 code (the first of many to come, I'm sure) to share! I don't have PMs, but first person to post their mail, steamID or Gog Galaxy name (?!) gets it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

someone sell me on Age of Wonders 3

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How is Ziggurat? Some of the reviews on Steam and GOG say it's not very deep, but is it still worth a couple playthroughs?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Justin_Brett posted:

How is Ziggurat? Some of the reviews on Steam and GOG say it's not very deep, but is it still worth a couple playthroughs?

I enjoy it. It's an FPS roguelike with a lot of care put into it. So, yes, for $4.49, definitely buy it.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Every game for Mac is apparently, one by one, getting the following update:

"We've uploaded an updated version of <GAME> for Macs that is compatible with El Capitan."
"This update means that disabling the System Integrity Protection feature is no longer required."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

someone sell me on Age of Wonders 3

As a fan of King's Bounty overall I like it - it's very much focussed on the tactical battles and it's pretty. I like that every unit has like two dozen attributes that make up it's behaviour, lets you make informed decisions.

The base building stuff is simpler than a '4X' type game so it's no Endless Legend.

The main cons for me are that the campaign has insta-fail condition on the hero units (which is more of a niggle and sounds worse than it is), the 3D camera is a bit weak and beware that it gives your computer fans a good workout.

For the massive discount it's worth getting the base game alone, see how you like the first two campaigns and the next big sale the DLC will be there waiting for you for extra campaigns.

I have no idea about the multiplayer.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
So I've already got the extra games on the gog promo, if anyone wants to trade...

System Shock 2, Banished and Chronicles of Ridick, I'll take any game I don't have.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Justin_Brett posted:

It's good. Right about when the gameplay novelty is mid-curve, extra PCs with different abilities/disabilities start unlocking, and a third of the cards are unlocked, and it becomes more enjoyable. It's not a deep game, and doesn't need to be, but it is very well made.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Someone remind me... what's the difference between the old Fallout trio (that was pulled) and the new one that is on special?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JustJeff88 posted:

Someone remind me... what's the difference between the old Fallout trio (that was pulled) and the new one that is on special?

IIRC the old versions had bonus stuff that the new versions don't have.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Anyone that wants System Shock 2, PM me.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Which means I've got a System Shock 2 code (the first of many to come, I'm sure) to share! I don't have PMs, but first person to post their mail, steamID or Gog Galaxy name (?!) gets it.

If your offer is still open, my email is scorpionps@hotmail.com .

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aw man, I guess I'm going to have to get used to paying $2 or $3 for a game in one sale and then finding out it is for free in another sale :smith:

But then I guess that is why there are always people here with codes to give away

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Singh Long posted:

If your offer is still open, my email is .

Sent. :)

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 4, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought Interstate 76 without knowing the GOG version was trash. How do I make this game work on a modern PC without crashing after every level?

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Got it. Thanks!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

doctorfrog posted:

When it comes to someone like Polanski, I can't, because some of why he got away with what he did was his celebrity, to which I contribute to in some way by enjoying/paying for/talking about his work. So a total separation isn't possible, I have to decide to either have nothing to do with his stuff or accept whatever taste it leaves behind. Where we get into trouble is people who can't do this and prefer to either not think of the bad stuff or whitewash it. Some folks just can't stand any level of discomfort.

On the other hand.. Chinatown is one of the best movies ever made. I actually wish I never knew anything about Roman Polanski as a person, I'd feel better about my list of favorite movies.

I am thinking about buying Lords of Xulima because I really loved turn based Might & Magic games, and the combat looks similar to that. Apparently the deluxe edition is like $4 more than the standard edition (which is a lot when the jump is from $6 to $10), Is the Talisman of Golot DLC good / necessary? I can probably live without the digital artbook and whatnot, but I don't want to miss out on any good game stuff and the description doesn't really say what it is.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Aren't the 'good' versions of Fallout 1/2/Tactics the Steam ones nowadays?
They quietly added cloud saves and a resolution facelift a while ago.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Aren't the 'good' versions of Fallout 1/2/Tactics the Steam ones nowadays?
They quietly added cloud saves and a resolution facelift a while ago.

If I remember right the Steam versions that Interplay put up pirated somebody's widescreen fix patch without giving him any credit for it or anything so he ended up blacklisting the Steam versions from using it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right the Steam versions that Interplay put up pirated somebody's widescreen fix patch without giving him any credit for it or anything so he ended up blacklisting the Steam versions from using it.

The classic versions on GOG have that widesceen patch in the extras section. I don't remember them making any hub-bub about it and just noticed it the other day.

I just looked to double check, and it doesn't show up on the website for some reason, but I know it's there on Galaxy because I've been playing with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wizard Styles posted:

Anyone that wants System Shock 2, PM me.

What's the deal with the Bonzi Buddy avatars?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The classic versions on GOG have that widesceen patch in the extras section. I don't remember them making any hub-bub about it and just noticed it the other day.

I just looked to double check, and it doesn't show up on the website for some reason, but I know it's there on Galaxy because I've been playing with it.

I assume that CD Project got in contact with him about using it.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

I have codes for Chronicles of Riddick and Banished if anyone wants them. Just post which game you want and I'll send you a PM.

Matthaeus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 5, 2015

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I bought Interstate 76 without knowing the GOG version was trash. How do I make this game work on a modern PC without crashing after every level?

There is a custom launcher that you can get in gog.com's forums that helps with cpu throttling and graphical glitches. I;ve had success with it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the deal with the Bonzi Buddy avatars?

ha, it's the new "stupid newbie" av

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Matthaeus posted:

I have codes for Chronicles of Riddick and Banished if anyone wants them. Just post which game you want and I'll send you a PM.

Banished would be cool if it's still available.

:)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Matthaeus posted:

I don't have PMs, but I remember playing the Riddick demo back in the day and I wouldn't mind checking if it's as good as I think it was.

edit: e-mail is fallen.paladin@hotmail.com

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Much thanks to Matthaeus for a copy of Banished.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I don't have PMs, but I remember playing the Riddick demo back in the day and I wouldn't mind checking if it's as good as I think it was.

Add your email and I'll send you the code when I get back from work.

Dodoman posted:

Much thanks to Matthaeus for a copy of Banished.

No problem, have fun.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I forgot that not everyone has PMs earlier, so: anyone that wants a System Shock 2 key, PM me or post an email address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is it me or are today's daily deals just yesterday's daily deals with some of the good ones removed