Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internaut! posted:

you may prefer this, now with extra vocal fry for authenticity

wtf is vocal fry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Space-Pope posted:

these are the same devs who felt that a 1-100 skill point system was too difficult and would alienate their target audience of dullards

what the gently caress makes you think they can do anything right?

your favourite games have a complexity of mechanics that appeals to maybe one hundredth of one per cent of the video gaming population, i don't think you have a legitimate position on this issue

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

wtf is vocal fry

it's just so annoying when young women talk the wrong way

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

stymie vocal fry is a thing really stupid people who don't know anything about speech or broadcasting complain about women doing. these same people never complain when men do it.

basically it's another way to insult women

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thx that makes a lot of sense

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

As a Millennial I posted:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Blackula69 posted:

your favourite games have a complexity of mechanics that appeals to maybe one hundredth of one per cent of the video gaming population, i don't think you have a legitimate position on this issue
yes, fallout 1 and 2 are totally the most niche of all niche things. hardly recognized at all

if you stopped for 30 seconds and thought about it, you'd realize that fallout 4 is bethesda continuing to slide down the path of appealing to 13-year-old boys who are taking a break from call of duty

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

yes, fallout 1 and 2 are totally the most niche of all niche things. hardly recognized at all

if you stopped for 30 seconds and thought about it, you'd realize that fallout 4 is bethesda continuing to slide down the path of appealing to 13-year-old boys who are taking a break from call of duty

bethesday has been super mainstream triple aaa since at least oblivion dude, you're 8 years too late

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Stymie posted:

wtf is vocal fry

starts at: immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1jugvly9Ds

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Improbable Lobster posted:

bethesday has been super mainstream triple aaa since at least oblivion dude, you're 8 years too late

hence my words "continuing to"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oblivion's skill system was broken garbage.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

the skills/perks/special system didn't allow for specialization until the endgame and had a bunch of overlapping systems that were inconsistent in how they worked

now, instead of just a percentage on a screen, you have much wider choice of perks that affect gameplay immediately and are clearly related to your accompanying special skill instead of the mystic alchemy that went on between your speech skill and your charisma, for example.

this is indeed a simpler system but it's also way more intuitive and logical. making something less complex doesn't necessarily mean dumbing it down

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

oblivion's skill system was broken garbage.

it would've been much better if oblivion didn't have the stupid "everything levels with you" bullshit tbh, because other than that it was basically morrowind's system

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Blackula69 posted:

like legit, that's crazy. the lip sync in vampire bloodlines was better. and the textures on that woman's face are terrible - i guess I should just say "texture"

thats what happens when you're forced to design around the 40 year old hardware they used to build the xbox three

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

god i hated this game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
new vegas remains the best fallout

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Improbable Lobster posted:

new vegas remains the best fallout

duh

also to properly answer what vocal fry is, it's that thing where your voice drops down to just below your general taking range and gets kinda fuzzy. literally everybody does it from time to time, but for some reason a lot of gamers get really mad at the feeeeemales who do it more than normal

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

nobody thought fallout 4 was gonna be good they just want more content in a world they feel validates the altruistic feelings they dont act on in real life
pee pee doo doo a morality system is just backpats for lazy people

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

thats what happens when you're forced to design around the 40 year old hardware they used to build the xbox three

this is what the witcher 3 looks like on a console

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Blackula69 posted:

the skills/perks/special system didn't allow for specialization until the endgame and had a bunch of overlapping systems that were inconsistent in how they worked

now, instead of just a percentage on a screen, you have much wider choice of perks that affect gameplay immediately and are clearly related to your accompanying special skill instead of the mystic alchemy that went on between your speech skill and your charisma, for example.

this is indeed a simpler system but it's also way more intuitive and logical. making something less complex doesn't necessarily mean dumbing it down

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

yes, "charisma provides a bonus to your speech skill" truly is mystic alchemy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i like bethesda games, but, they are not perfect

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
honestly not surprised that gamers are unfamiliar with the concept of charisma

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Liver Disaster posted:

nobody thought fallout 4 was gonna be good they just want more content in a world they feel validates the altruistic feelings they dont act on in real life
pee pee doo doo a morality system is just backpats for lazy people

im gonna enjoy standing on a nuked foxboro

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah just let me work out the exact percentage I need to convince this guy with this skill calculator on the internet

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Blackula69 posted:

25 + (2*charisma)

basic math is mystic alchemy to you. you know what, this explains a LOT

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Space-Pope posted:

heroes of the stormfront
or
heart of the swarm

I like both but neither game has many players. In this context I'm talking about heroes

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Notorious QIG posted:

duh

also to properly answer what vocal fry is, it's that thing where your voice drops down to just below your general taking range and gets kinda fuzzy. literally everybody does it from time to time, but for some reason a lot of gamers get really mad at the feeeeemales who do it more than normal
when womenfolk drop their voices down, it's usually because theyre whispering

and if theyre whispering, it's about me and the embarassing things i've done like that one time i sat down in a puddle in 5th grade and it looked like i poo poo my pants but i didnt and i ran over to try and get into the school but the door was locked and gracie mcleen the prettiest girl in school saw me and she pointed and everyone started laughing and then i started crying but that just made the laughing even worse and long story short now i can't deal with anything that might remind me of that experience like puddles and vaginas but most especially vaginas

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vocal fry is bad when anyone does it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Blackula69 posted:

stymie vocal fry is a thing really stupid people who don't know anything about speech or broadcasting complain about women doing. these same people never complain when men do it.

basically it's another way to insult women

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         SomethingAwful Stymie Post Enhancer
// @version      420
// @description  Replace Stymie Posts and quotes with 'faaaaaaart'
// @author       sliderule
// @match        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php*[/url]
// @grant        none
// @require      [url]http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

$('.userid-16837').each(function() {
    $(this).parent().find('.postbody').html('faaaaaaart')
});

$(".quote_link:contains('Stymie')").each(function() {
    $(this).parent().parent().find('blockquote').html('faaaaaaart')
});

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i like making numbers go up

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

shut the gently caress up, kenny logins.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's good friend.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

my friend have you heard of Cookie Clicker

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

imagine trying to explain THAC0 to blackula

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

25 + (2*charisma)

yeah this is still worse than the new system

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Space-Pope posted:

i'm a financial reporter. if i'm sperging out in a tabletop game, gently caress yeah let's get nerdy.

moving from a series of overlapping skills to more focused perks (of which there are more than 200, including the various levels that have different immediate effects) based on SPECIAL is way better and makes your character more specialized from the beginning rather than in the end game

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i like when i dont have to crunch numbers when i play a video game

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Space-Pope posted:

thac0 was a nonsensical system for idiots, there are lots of things to hate about fallout 4 but streamlining the skill system into perks isn't really one of them as long as you can see a sort of tech tree of perks and their attribute req's instead of just being surprised and possibly disappointed by your different options every level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

now you can't have characters with 2 charisma and 120% speech. it's way better

seriously how is that the issue when the game looks like my gd butt

• Locked thread