Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

it was more like 40% and they complained super hard

people did accept the idea of giving people money for their work in an optional system
steam should implement paypal/patreon links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
the game will be as good as this thread is bad

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

the game will be as good as this thread is bad
this thread is v.good so what does that make the game

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this thread is v.good

lol

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The end user license agreement is a license agreement for the end user, and not the publisher, who will be selling mods.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

thread is so bad its good. just like all bethesda rpgs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:yikes:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

do you guys remember when bethesda tried selling that horse armor mod for oblivion

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Goatfather posted:

do you guys remember when bethesda tried selling that horse armor mod for oblivion

no ive never heard of this incident please tell me more about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

do you remember when you made a good post??? Me neither.

thread is very bad

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 5, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

The Goatfather posted:

:eyepop:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Those are dummies with mobile phones though (women and children) the glorious pc master race is above such things

MOBA players

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to play and enjoy this game

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady.

The Goatfather posted:

I still bring myself sexual pleasure while thinking about it with great respect.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Eonwe posted:

im going to play and enjoy this game

Good luck

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i like that the launch trailer finally features the player character as a woman for at least a few shots

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

i like that the launch trailer finally features the player character as a woman for at least a few shots

She has half the lines, too.

Suck on that, Mass Effect advertising!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minorkos posted:

Couldn't that be just Bethesda making sure that no one sells mods until they can get the chance to

I would say that's exactly what it is. It's saying you can't sell a total conversion, but it doesn't say anything about their future right to monetize user created content. In fact, it's saying that they own exclusive rights to monetize user created content.

For the record, I don't blame them, it's a sensible way to write their EULA. The Skyrim mod thing was a stalking horse to see how the community would react (it was: poorly), and I wouldn't be surprised to see that when they release the creation kit that it will be tuned towards launching paid mods more successfully. Possibly by cutting Steam and Nexus out entirely, offering modders slightly more of a cut, and figuring out some way to work with common third party script extenders that most mods rely on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

sector_corrector posted:

I would say that's exactly what it is. It's saying you can't sell a total conversion, but it doesn't say anything about their future right to monetize user created content. In fact, it's saying that they own exclusive rights to monetize user created content.

For the record, I don't blame them, it's a sensible way to write their EULA. The Skyrim mod thing was a stalking horse to see how the community would react (it was: poorly), and I wouldn't be surprised to see that when they release the creation kit that it will be tuned towards launching paid mods more successfully. Possibly by cutting Steam and Nexus out entirely, offering modders slightly more of a cut, and figuring out some way to work with common third party script extenders that most mods rely on.

I don't think 3rd party script extenders are going to work on consoles, and accordingly I don't think any of the mods that Bethsoft will offer will be any good. It'll be lame boring poo poo like "stupid sword from some other game" or "stupid gun from an anime show" and janky garbage like that.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Fallout 4 more like failout for the 4th time.

So how hard would it be to copy someone's save from the mobile game and transfer it over? I honestly cannot enjoy a game that uses the most finicky interface ever invented, a small touch screen.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Pip-Boy companion app is live, although without a game to connect it to you can only play with demo mode. The Big Leagues animation seems as if they don't know how baseball really works.
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fallout-pip-boy/id1049061806?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bethsoft.falloutcompanionapp&hl=en

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Saki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aJfebzkrM

These facial animations are intense.

this looks cool and i want this game.

You can be an authoritarian rear end and join with the institute right?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Script extenders rely on windows architecture I think

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Iron Rose posted:

this looks cool and i want this game.

You can be an authoritarian rear end and join with the institute right?

The achievements seem to indicate that, yes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

All hail LICENSOR! Kneel before the awesome might of LICENSOR! All of your rights are forfeit unto He, the now and future owner of your intellectual properties!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Bland posted:

It has been 'pointed out' a few times and the reply every time has been "stop giving a company that makes a shitload of money with every game they release a free pass for being consistently, massively behind the industry standard"

I dunno if "don't care because it doesn't make the game less fun" would count as a free pass, because that's where I and I think a lot of people stand. If the game is fun and I can come back to it in a year and install 150 mods to make it even more fun, I'm good.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
No. It has to look real. It HAS to look REAL. WHY DOESN'T IT LOOK REAL??? *pounds desk so hard mom comes down into the basement to see if I'm alright*

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Nice meltdown

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Games are not about having fun okay.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

strong bird posted:

Nice meltdown

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

strong bird posted:

Nice meltdown

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

FadedReality posted:

I dunno if "don't care because it doesn't make the game less fun" would count as a free pass, because that's where I and I think a lot of people stand. If the game is fun and I can come back to it in a year and install 150 mods to make it even more fun, I'm good.

The problem is people lowering their standards for "fun" to "If I can perform lovely melee attacks with a rocket launcher, then the game is good"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Droid posted:

The problem is people lowering their standards for "fun" to "If I can perform lovely melee attacks with a rocket launcher, then the game is good"
you say as if their standards weren't always that low

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Jimbot posted:

Man, the world politics of that game was the most interesting part and Bethesda did nothing with it. The whole Civil War storyline amounted to a whole lot of nothing. The next Elder Scrolls game probably won't even deal with that stuff either, which is all the more tragic.

The Civil War was intended to be a much more involved mechanic in Skyrim. Taking a Hold would require 12 randomly generated quests rather than the two set quests (including the boring-rear end fort assault) in the vanilla game. Recorded dialogue that remains in the game files includes references by Galmar Stone-Fist and Legate Rikke to quests where the player would have to bribe giants to join their faction, help defectors swap sides, burning down supply buildings, recruit mercenaries, assassinate Legates/Officers and so on.

Instead of the set battles on Whiterun and Solitude/Windhelm, the player would have to assault every individual capital needed for victory. Voiced dialogue between the defeated Jarl and their replacement - again - remains in the files, very similar to the scene between Balgruuf and Vignar Old-Dude-Who-Likes-Stormcloaks or whatever his name when the Stormcloaks take Whiterun. See for example http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Maven_Black-Briar (scroll down to "Cut Conversation")

Moreover, it was possible for the player's side to lose these battles and force them to retreat from their own cities if they were taken by the enemy. From what I recall reading, there are broken scripts involving fleeing capitals via the sewers and such. I vaguely remember someone claiming that the files reference the player's faction losing the entire civil war, though i don't recall exactly.

It's far too much to be restored by the Cutting Room Floor mod (which restores missing quests still in the game files) but there is an extremely buggy mod that attempts to restore the unused dialogue and quests (plus adds a whole bunch of the modder's own ideas) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64F54BgCcck

There are some playthroughs of the mod by a guy called Darth Wolfius on Youtube.

Sorry for the OT stuff but I thought it was interesting to anyone who wasn't aware of how much poo poo gets cut from Bethesda games. Todd has been complaining about not being able to implement this kind of war-related content since post-Morrowind interviews.

dd209 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 5, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Let us define the universal standard of what counts as fun in this thread. For all future generations.

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

The Droid posted:

Uh, okay, stop policing people's fun, will you?

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Hardware question. Below is what I have - any chance I could get decent performance on PC for the time-being until I upgrade or should I just pick this up on PS4 and be done with it?

i5-2500k
GTX 560ti
8GB

I'm assuming the PS4 version would outperform that right?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

strong bird posted:

Nice meltdown

The only meltdown I'll be having is the ones I'll perform with a sweet laser rifle :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

• Locked thread