Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Which reminds me, Lou Barlow talking to Marc about his meth addiction is pretty huge if fuzzy music of that era is your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Heheh,
He really was that guy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just listened to the intro for their interview that Marc posted after Robin Williams passed. It's also interesting to note that it wasn't depression that killed Robin but rather a hard to detect form of dementia.

Holy poo poo, though. He sounds crushed. But he also gave a hell of an intro. It's funny, I'd contend that WTF has probably made Marc a better man. Most people who start podcasts don't start it with that in mind.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 4, 2015

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just listened to the intro for their interview that Marc posted after Robin Williams passed. It's also interesting to note that it wasn't depression that killed Robin but rather a hard to detect form of dementia.

Holy poo poo, though. He sounds crushed. But he also gave a hell of an intro. It's funny, I'd contend that WTF has probably made Marc a better man. Most people who start podcasts don't start it with that in mind.

At the very least, he chilled out enough to find some success and be able to work reasonably well with others.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Speaking of comedians that have passed, the WTF with Patrice O'neal is definitely worth a listen.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

With Marc's interview with Lorne, it seems like it is just a matter of time before he interviews Jon Stewart.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't it come out that he approached Jon Stewart about coming on the podcast to talk out their issues or whatever and Stewart thought he was disingenuous and told him to gently caress off?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Knucklebear posted:

Speaking of comedians that have passed, the WTF with Patrice O'neal is definitely worth a listen.

I like this interview a lot. Patrice was hilarious and infuriating, and there's a ton of great insight in the WTF interview as to why he is the way he is.

I always thought it was funny that he he was best friends with noted republican rear end in a top hat Nick DiPaolo. It was my secret hope they'd star in a remake of The Defiant Ones.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't it come out that he approached Jon Stewart about coming on the podcast to talk out their issues or whatever and Stewart thought he was disingenuous and told him to gently caress off?

Yeah, but that was a while ago. Since then, Jon Stewart left the daily show and Maron interviewed Obama. Not saying I'd put money on it, but who knows.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
edit: doublepost

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 5, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What were some of the best WTF episodes with former SNL cast that revealed something about Lorne? Especially about Lorne's meeting with Marc? Most of those episodes, the guest has glowing praise for Lorne (like the Mulaney one) but there are a few exceptions:

*I think it was Jim Breuer who revealed that Lorne probably only interviewed Marc for Weekend Update as a ploy to get someone else.
*Jay Mohr had some awkward stories about his short time on SNL.
*Harry Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat and had nothing but bad to say about his time there.

Am I forgetting any key episodes from 90s cast members who helped Marc put the pieces together?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Marc Maron/John Stewart thing in Marc's summary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jFf4lTw4Pk

I honestly think it's become inspiring, and revealing just how much he's ashamed about how low he was

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 5, 2015

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What were some of the best WTF episodes with former SNL cast that revealed something about Lorne? Especially about Lorne's meeting with Marc? Most of those episodes, the guest has glowing praise for Lorne (like the Mulaney one) but there are a few exceptions:

*I think it was Jim Breuer who revealed that Lorne probably only interviewed Marc for Weekend Update as a ploy to get someone else.
*Harry Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat and had nothing but bad to say about his time there.

Am I forgetting any key episodes from 90s cast members who helped Marc put the pieces together?

He talked to Norm about it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The Michaela Watkins one was great for just going into what an unhappy experience it was, and the weirdness that goes with working for Lorne, such as thanking him for letting you work during the summer break.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's amazing how much terror and awe he induces in so many otherwise smart and headstrong comedians. All because of a show that is fleetingly funny at best. These people with such reverence about SNL and it's so clearly trivial. If anything Lorne should catch more poo poo for allowing that weird elitist culture to form around a silly sketch show.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Drunkboxer posted:

It's amazing how much terror and awe he induces in so many otherwise smart and headstrong comedians. All because of a show that is fleetingly funny at best. These people with such reverence about SNL and it's so clearly trivial. If anything Lorne should catch more poo poo for allowing that weird elitist culture to form around a silly sketch show.

It's because it still has the ability to put you out there. Even a "failed" stint at SNL raises your profile and can help you to bigger and better.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Drunkboxer posted:

Lorne's production company is quite large too. The rumor is if you bad mouth him publicly you can forget about a Tonight Show appearance which can hurt if you have a movie or TV show to promote.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Except there are a few people from every cast who go on to be wildly successful and owe their entire careers to Lorne. Tina Fey arguably would not have starred in her own sitcom without Lorne giving her Weekend Update. It's not surprising that people don't want to bad mouth him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you have Howl.FM, the Jon Dore/Greg Fitzsimmons live episode has one of the funniest takedowns of Marc. He introduces Fitzsimmons with an incredibly passive aggressive opening and Fitzsimmons just unloads with laser accuracy. Hilarious fight.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Every time I've seen fitzsimmons live he's been loving hilarious.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
The Doug Loves Movies with Maron and Kumail Nanjiani turned into one long joking-but-are-they-really-joking fight between the two of them. Highly recommended.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

The Doug Loves Movies with Maron and Kumail Nanjiani turned into one long joking-but-are-they-really-joking fight between the two of them. Highly recommended.

Seconding this recommendation. That episode was a treat.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If you have Howl.FM, the Jon Dore/Greg Fitzsimmons live episode has one of the funniest takedowns of Marc. He introduces Fitzsimmons with an incredibly passive aggressive opening and Fitzsimmons just unloads with laser accuracy. Hilarious fight.

Oh good lord, I don't know how many therapists Marc Macaroni has but he needs far more of them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
A key quote in the Michaels episode: "God, you really remember a lot of this."

It's weird, as a Brit I don't think I've ever quite understood the institution of SNL. I know what a breeding ground it is, but every episode I've seen - even from the 'glory years' - has a pretty crazy hit/miss ratio. It just feels like one of those things that is held in reverence because of the name only, and not because of what it actually does.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

It's weird, as a Brit I don't think I've ever quite understood the institution of SNL. I know what a breeding ground it is, but every episode I've seen - even from the 'glory years' - has a pretty crazy hit/miss ratio. It just feels like one of those things that is held in reverence because of the name only, and not because of what it actually does.

It's all contextual though isn't it. People growing up with some thing having their tastes formed and influenced. I remember thinking that Alan Partridge was hilarious and me and my mates would constantly reference and quote it to each other. Now looking back it's funny but not in the same way my teenage brain thought it was.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

That's what it is. It's a breeding ground. "SNL hasn't been good since 19xx" was a clichéd thing to say 20 years ago yet people still argue that with a straight face. SNL has never been "good" in the sense that certain seasons had tons of great episodes from front to back. But for 40 consecutive years, it's showcased the next great comedic stars from North America. And in 40 years, it's never failed to do so.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

That bright shining star in Joe Piscopo.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's what it is. It's a breeding ground. "SNL hasn't been good since 19xx" was a clichéd thing to say 20 years ago yet people still argue that with a straight face. SNL has never been "good" in the sense that certain seasons had tons of great episodes from front to back. But for 40 consecutive years, it's showcased the next great comedic stars from North America. And in 40 years, it's never failed to do so.

Lorne even mentioned that he knows who his audience is and it's basically middle America.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That argument -- that it hasn't been good since whenever -- continues to bug me. When you're in middle school, and you're watching a 90 minute sketch comedy show edited down to 60 minutes, and people who are huge stars like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel and Chris Farley are on it, you are going to remember those episodes as being the better than 90 minutes with people you don't really know. Those 60 minute versions (almost) always have the monologue and Weekend Update, which are arguably the most dependable parts of the show. Throw in a couple commercial parodies which are usually pretty good, a musical performance from a band you remember and you're left with time for 2 or 3 sketches. And it's rare that you can't find 2 or 3 good to middling sketches on an episode of SNL.

What you don't see are the sketches that utterly fail, of which there are usually one or two per episode, nor do you see any episodes that end up being a complete train-wreck thanks to a lovely host. Also, you are not seeing them in the context of a time where no one knew who Adam Sandler was.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The best argument for SNL being solely about casts and not the quality of sketches is the cast from about 2004 to a few years ago. Outside of the digital shorts, can you name that many great sketches from that period? Yet from that era you have huge stars like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisen, Jason Sudeikis, Jimmy Fallon, and Seth Meyers and comedy nerd favorites like Jenny Slate, Will Forte, Mike O'Brien. I don't watch Saturday Night Live to watch the world's best sketches. I watch it so I can see people like Kyle Mooney and Kate McKinnon on a weekly basis before they become industry giants.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The best argument for SNL being solely about casts and not the quality of sketches is the cast from about 2004 to a few years ago. Outside of the digital shorts, can you name that many great sketches from that period? Yet from that era you have huge stars like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisen, Jason Sudeikis, Jimmy Fallon, and Seth Meyers and comedy nerd favorites like Jenny Slate, Will Forte, Mike O'Brien. I don't watch Saturday Night Live to watch the world's best sketches. I watch it so I can see people like Kyle Mooney and Kate McKinnon on a weekly basis before they become industry giants.

That's a good point.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty bummed by the lack of Kyle and Brett videos this year so far.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

That's a good point.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty bummed by the lack of Kyle and Brett videos this year so far.

I'd love a WTF with Nick Rutherford. He went into some detail on DJ Douggpound's podcast about being the only Good Neighbor to not be hired, but that was before he was hired as a writer for last season and then left the show to return to L.A. this season.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DrVenkman posted:

Same here as an Australian. SNL is showed on a cable network here, and I have only really watched two episodes of it (around 2006-ish) and didn't really get much in the way of laughs here.

Australia doesn't really have someone like Michaels who holds a huge sway in comedy. The closest might be Andrew Knight or Rob Sitch.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
So I know everyone's preoccupied with the Lorne interview, as well they should be, but I listened to the James Corden episode yesterday and really enjoyed it. I found Corden to be very endearing and their chats about theatre and late night were great. It wasn't mind blowing, but just a pleasant and interesting conversation.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I'm not a regular WTF listener. Was there some kind of animosity between Marc and Lorne? I feel like I kept hearing that but this is a very cordial episode.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

piratepilates posted:

I'm not a regular WTF listener. Was there some kind of animosity between Marc and Lorne? I feel like I kept hearing that but this is a very cordial episode.

It was all in Marc's head.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
He's an insane narcissist. While this point is obvious to anyone who listens to his monologues, it is punctuated by his Halloween "newsletter" on the front page where he estimates that maybe "only" 15 million Americans (1 in 20) recognize him by his face and how he's okay with that.

Marc seems like a pretty insufferable headcase and Lorne probably recognized this early on. But of course Marc creates an entire narrative where Lorne has it out for him because Marc is the worlds most successful manchild.

Oh well, at least 1 in 20 of his jokes are funny.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think lorne actually didn't like him back then. "I don't know what you think you are doing below 14th street but it's not important" or whatever he said couldn't have been him being playful like he explained. I'm sure he just heard marc was an rear end in a top hat, because he was. Jim Breuer said as much in his interview

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

piratepilates posted:

He had the one meeting that didn't go well and because he was an up and coming comic with what would have been a huge opportunity for him at the time he built it up in his head. Lorne has tremendous influence in the comedy world and is fairly private, so he's easy to mythologized. And I think he plays it up a bit himself.

But on the other hand, you don't get to be successful like that without being able to charm people. So I didn't suspect anything less than a cordial interview with the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
He let Lorne off the hook completely and became a spineless simpering rear end kisser. Cool.

• Locked thread