Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
An extremely fit and healthy health minister theoretically would have less interactions with the healthcare system, while an obese out of shape health minister is more like to see the inside of a hospital therefore making the fat health minister the expert. Politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Joint health ministers.

Also health minister should be picked based on health merit, so we need to find who is the most healthy and fit person in Canada.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

We should appoint the Canadian who's commited the most crimes as the Justice Minister.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Joint health ministers.

Also health minister should be picked based on health merit, so we need to find who is the most healthy and fit person in Canada.

A health minister should set a good example, though. Being overweight is not a good example. Frequently drinking is not a good example. Smoking is not a good example. I'm ruled out as much as she ought to be, no question, but I wasn't selected for the job. We don't need a fitness instructor, but someone who does regular exercise and doesn't have unhealthy habits would be nice.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes and the minister for Fisheries should be an actual fisherman. Or a fish.

e: or Aquaman

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 5, 2015

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 2, 2016

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Melian Dialogue posted:

Well if you and every other Republican-oriented Canada are out in BC, you may be in luck!

Guess who is the President of the BC Wing of the Citizens for a Canadian Republic?

That's right, everyone's favourite comic-artist-turned Ezra wannabe, JJ Mccullough

http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/about/
http://www.canadian-republic.ca/about.html

Enjoy being in such great company

Gross. That's not a reason to keep the monarchy though

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 5, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sliderule posted:

Yes and the minister for Fisheries should be an actual fisherman. Or a fish.

e: or Aquaman

Don't be absurd. A more accurate comparison would be "the minister for fisheries shouldn't be from the middle of Saskatchewan" or something.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Don't be absurd. A more accurate comparison would be "the minister for fisheries shouldn't be from the middle of Saskatchewan" or something.

Hmmm yes. Also a good qualification is how does he look in a tilley cap and how many lures can he fit on his tilley cap?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

That's because regressive poo poo heads assume the most qualified candidates are defacto Male (also usually white) so the idea that women and minorities could be eminently qualified for a position is not something they can reconcile.

But really, it's Trudeau who is being sexist/racist by acknowledging race gender and disabilities at all

I had family members complaining that Carla Qualtrough is not qualified to be Minister of Sport and Persons with a Disability and was appointed because she was a woman. She has three bronze medals in the paralympics, she's legally blind, she was president of the Canadian Paralympic Committee, vice president of the Americas Paralympic Committee, a member of the International Paralympics Legal & Ethics Committee for over a decade, vice chair of the B.C. Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal, chair of the B.C. Ministers’ Council on Employment and Accessibility for Persons with a Disability as well as tons of other minor positions related to the field. She's also a human rights lawyer who served as counsel to the Canadian Human Rights Commission. It is literally impossible to find anyone in Parliament more suitable for her file. People are idiotic.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Long form census is coming back next year

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/05/liberals-restore-mandatory-long-form-census.html

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Do it ironically posted:

god forbid a health minister know anything about nutrition, or medicine, or had worked in a heatlh related finance capacity

just gives me hope though i'll get a cushy tax free job one day

What exactly are you afraid is going to happen that a thinner health minister would have avoided? Is she going to replace all the food in Alberta's school cafeteria's with chocolate or something? Pass a law closing every gym? Spend her entire office budget on Mars bars?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I think possibly the dumbest complaint I've heard about the new Cabinet is "you say this cabinet looks like Canada? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE BLACK PEOPLE? AND LATINOS?!"

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Also what if she was thin because she suffered from anorexia or bulimia? Maybe we should set up screening to prevent these faux-thinnies from obtaining these positions through deception.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

Joint health ministers.

sounds like a new reality show pitch!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

What exactly are you afraid is going to happen that a thinner health minister would have avoided? Is she going to replace all the food in Alberta's school cafeteria's with chocolate or something? Pass a law closing every gym? Spend her entire office budget on Mars bars?

No, I just find it hypocritical and unpleasant that she's making moves to restrict and tax my bad habits while indulging in her own.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

sliderule posted:

Also what if she was thin because she suffered from anorexia or bulimia? Maybe we should set up screening to prevent these faux-thinnies from obtaining these positions through deception.

I'd probably have more respect for them as long as they actually had formal education in the field in which they were supposed to be ministering

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

No, I just find it hypocritical and unpleasant that she's making moves to restrict and tax my bad habits while indulging in her own.

such as?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

We already know you're a clueless rube. You don't need to come back and remind us every couple weeks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

such as?

Being overweight is unhealthy. You don't get that way by magic. You're either eating too much (a bad habit) or not exercising enough (also a bad habit).

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Being overweight is unhealthy. You don't get that way by magic. You're either eating too much (a bad habit) or not exercising enough (also a bad habit).

No, not magic.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/woman-becomes-obese-after-fecal-transplant-overweight-donor

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think possibly the dumbest complaint I've heard about the new Cabinet is "you say this cabinet looks like Canada? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE BLACK PEOPLE? AND LATINOS?!"

I saw a facebook post accusing JT of racism because he didn't appoint any ethnic Chinese ministers. (Only two or maybe three were elected).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

PT6A posted:

Stop smoking. Live that vape life.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

I agree that gluttony and sloth are to be avoided, however if you think those are the only causes of weight gain (or a lack of weight loss) and obesity you are wrong.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

Leaving aside the fact that fatness is usually more complicated than just "bad habits", she is almost certainly just a pawn for her party and is executing whatever initiatives she's told to execute to the best of her ability. Would you really, in any way, feel better if the person government ministers implementing sin taxes on you were a health nuts?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

JawKnee posted:

I agree that gluttony and sloth are to be avoided, however if you think those are the only causes of weight gain (or a lack of weight loss) and obesity you are wrong.

noooooooo thread turn left

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Would you really, in any way, feel better if the person government ministers implementing sin taxes on you were a health nuts?

Slightly, yes.

EDIT: I should say, I would feel less upset, not "better" as such.

I would also feel slightly better, ironically, if the person behind the tax increase were a drinker and smoker, because at least then they'd be sharing the pain. It's specifically the fact that there are no sin taxes on unhealthy food or non-alcoholic beverages that really burns my rear end.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 5, 2015

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

flakeloaf posted:

noooooooo thread turn left

This thread is making my thyroid act up again!!!!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kafka Esq. posted:

This has cropped up among black friends. To which I ask them exactly how many black people were elected in the Liberal party? A) They had no idea and B) They were upset it was only two [please correct me if I am mistaken].

:byodame: How can I manufacture a way for these events to upset me personally?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I think part of the problem with ministerial appointments (this has been touched on but not made explicit) is that when people say that the "most qualified" or "best" person should be put in the role, they aren't actually thinking hard about what that means for such a position. We need to ask first: What is it that a Minister does? What things are required of someone to perform that role best? One of the immediate problems here is that the role of a minister is highly conditional to the way a prime minister operates. As far as I understand it, a Minister's role is to oversee, create and implement policy within their given domain. Experience in management or policy in any sort of role will help regardless of the ministry at hand, and experience in the relevant field is also important. However, there are other things to consider. The more experience someone has performing such a role, the less likely you are to be flexible to changes in it. As has been mentioned before, someones general background provides a significant impact on their perspective on the particular ministry, which is also important if you're wanting to steer a ministry in a particular direction. You have to balance options, which is why Dion, a person that while clearly ideal for an environment role also has an large amount of experience in government affairs generally, was instead put into foreign policy (while also being appointed as chair of the environment and climate change committee). A minister (at least outside of the Harper era) typically is also speaking to the public a great deal about policy changes, so being able to communicate effectively there, as well is in the ministry you're responsible for is important.

These people hand-wringing about "affirmative action" are not considering that having a representative cabinet is crucial to getting a balanced perspective on things. These same people would likely take no issue doing this with regard to appointments based on geographic location, so why is it suddenly an issue when it comes to gender or race? I think if you're gonna make such a criticism, you'd best have your own list of appointments and some good arguments as to why yours is better.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We should appoint Wayne Gretzky minister of health, ethics and gaming.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

We should appoint Wayne Gretzky minister of health, ethics and gaming.

Gretzky for Ambassador to the USA.

edit: or he could be health minister because he knew McDavid was in trouble "as soon as he went into the boards." That's a clinical eye, there.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

He'd also be a good foreign affairs minister because he knows what it's like to be in places that aren't Canada.

Is there a ministry of guys who can gently caress off and go be irrelevant somewhere else? He could totally be that too.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

flakeloaf posted:

Is there a ministry of guys who can gently caress off and go be irrelevant somewhere else? He could totally be that too.

No that's Celine Dion's post.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
the lack of thread title makes me a bit sad :smith:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Melian Dialogue posted:

Well if you and every other Republican-oriented Canada are out in BC, you may be in luck!

Guess who is the President of the BC Wing of the Citizens for a Canadian Republic?

That's right, everyone's favourite comic-artist-turned Ezra wannabe, JJ Mccullough

http://www.jjmccullough.com/index.php/about/
http://www.canadian-republic.ca/about.html

Enjoy being in such great company

That makes me more of a Monarchist then ever

Also how has this Trudeau interview not made the thread

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/behind-the-scenes-with-justin-trudeau-on-his-1st-day-as-pm-1.3304860

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sbaldrick posted:

That makes me more of a Monarchist then ever

Also how has this Trudeau interview not made the thread

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/behind-the-scenes-with-justin-trudeau-on-his-1st-day-as-pm-1.3304860

Is anyone else getting Trudeau overload? Everything he says or does seems to have an article or video. Can we not have a middle ground between no information (Harper) and being verbose (Trudeau)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

Is anyone else getting Trudeau overload? Everything he says or does seems to have an article or video. Can we not have a middle ground between no information (Harper) and being verbose (Trudeau)

It's just the honeymoon period, it'll wear off soon enough.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Trudeauverload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

jm20 posted:

Is anyone else getting Trudeau overload?

I'd rather keep talking about Sarah Hoffman. She's super cute. :swoon: