Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Go Bombers! :toot:

Smasher, can I set the lineups for each individual game? I'd like some finer control than one lineup for the whole series, particularly because I'd like to have different lineups in Chicago and OKC, and because Manny Ramirez is going to be healthy for games 3, 4, and 5 (if it goes that long).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

tadashi posted:

Upstate could use a better third baseman than Eddie Matthews.

http://bit.ly/1Q0CGP9

I have starting 3Bs of a few different flavors, is Hornsby at all available?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Dynamo League Divisional Series
Sindhi Sheikhs, 4 games, 6-4

Mitchell Kernels, 3 games, 7-6

Smasher League Divisional Series
Khartoum Doom, 4 games, 4-3

Oklahoma City Bombers, 5 games, 9-6

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

mentholmoose posted:

Go Bombers! :toot:

Smasher, can I set the lineups for each individual game? I'd like some finer control than one lineup for the whole series, particularly because I'd like to have different lineups in Chicago and OKC, and because Manny Ramirez is going to be healthy for games 3, 4, and 5 (if it goes that long).

I really don't want to let you do it game by game, but if you want to set home/away, and don't get too crazy with it, I can maybe do that, if I remember.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Lineup vs. the Southpaws:

code:
2B - Collins
RF - Jackson
C  - Torre
LF - Bonds
1B - Foxx
SS - Vaughan
3B - Santo
DH - Ramirez
CF - Hamilton
The bench should be:

code:
C  - Berra
1B - Olerud
2B - Carew
SS - Han-Ram
OF - Davis
Rotation should go Johnson -> Grove -> Walsh -> Maddux.

I think that ends up with the following.
Game 1: Grove
Game 2: Walsh
Game 3: Maddux
Game 4: Johnson
Game 5: Grove

And the bullpen:

code:
MU - Phillippe
CL - Papelbon
SU - Smoltz
SR - Hoffman
SR - Candelaria
MR - Kaat
LR - Saberhagen

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pick 'em: Divisional Round
Pick the WINNER, NUMBER OF GAMES (best of 5), and SCORE OF THE FINAL GAME
Teams with home-field advantage listed second

Rockford Losers vs. Sindhi Sheikhs in 4 games, 7-4

RCMP vs. Mitchell Kernels in 5 games, 6-5

Porthcawl Rakers vs. Khartoum Doom in 4 games, 3-2

Oklahoma City Bombers vs. Chicago Southpaws in 3 games, 5-2

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Welp. Time to either fulfill my destiny or fall flat on my face.

LINEUP
code:
SS	George Davis
2B	Eddie Collins
DH	Dan Brouthers
RF	Paul Waner
CF	Ty Cobb
3B	Cecil Travis
LF	Goose Goslin
C	Deacon White
1B	Joe Judge
BENCH
code:
C	Smoky Burgess
1B	Todd Helton
RF	Elmer Flick
IF	Ken Oberkfell
OF	Max Carey
ROTATION
code:
Clayton Kershaw
Sandy Koufax
Randy Johnson
Steve Carlton
BULLPEN
code:
CL Billy Wagner (healthy one)
SU Jesse Orosco
SR Sparky Lyle
SR Gary Lavelle
MR Chris Sale
LR Warren Spahn
Glad I drafted Orosco. Koufax can make the 2nd start, right?

LegendInTheMakin
Oct 4, 2015

Ice To Meet You posted:

Mooseontheloose
DivineCoffeeBinge
kensei
DOOP
GVOLTT
kw0134
LegendInTheMakin
The Goog
EclecticTastes
Beckett
ZenVulgarity
Yaya

You should read this post if you want to win free stuff!
*pokes head out from between bushes* I like to win free stuff... where do I sign up?

Update: Well how bout that poo poo! I'm not a garbage dick anymore! SCORE!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Even if the RCMP die horribly v the Kernals, at least these playoffs made me spend a half hour learning about the Electoral College which was funny and worth it! Plus I got to listen to Rush while I read the recap which is usually worth course credit at most Canadian universities.

Also, Mark Eichhorn prefers to go by his title of The Best Middle Reliever of All Time.

SP1 Walter Johnson
SP2 Satchel Paige
SP3 Deacon Philippe
SP4 Juan Marichal
MU Mark Eichhorn

CL Mariano Rivera
SU Billy Wagner doesn't matter which
SR Lee Smith
SR Billy Wagner the other one
MR Cy Young
LR Joe McGinnity

I went with Marichal over Young because I figured he misses more bats which will be beneficial against this particular team, but I'm open to being corrected if that's the wrong call.

Please leave the lineups as they were, but please turn off all personal catcher instructions.

slider changes
Squeeze Play: +1
Trying for extra bases: -1
Aggressively Tagging Up: -1
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -2
Bringing the Infield In: -3
Guarding the Lines: -3
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -3
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: whichever one guarantees it's a 4-man rotation but doesn't make it do something wacky like try a 3 man rotation
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: +2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2

Thanks, Smasher!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Sindhi Sheikhs in 4, final 7-3

Mitchell Kernels in 5, final 8-3

Porthcawl Rakers in 5, final 6-2

Chicago Southpaws in 3, final 5-1

The Dragons are still looking for trade partners who (a) aren't asking for the moon and (b) aren't trying to devalue the players they want.

We want:
1. A good 1B with defense and power OR contact, preferably a righty
2. A competent SP3 or SP4
3. Relievers
4. Draft picks

We have:
1. A spare Goose Goslin
2. Robin Roberts, Billy Pierce, Vic Willis, Sam Leever
3. Some usable 3Bs, to wit Pete Rose, George Kell

Do Not Ask about :
1. New Hoss, unless you are including Babe Ruth in the package
2. Charlie Gehringer
3. Honus Wagner

Thanks!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Milt Thompson posted:

Sindhi Sheikhs in 4, final 7-3

Mitchell Kernels in 5, final 8-3

Porthcawl Rakers in 5, final 6-2

Chicago Southpaws in 3, final 5-1

The Dragons are still looking for trade partners who (a) aren't asking for the moon and (b) aren't trying to devalue the players they want.

The pickem is just for EC teams, figured I would save you some time.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Rockford Losers in 4, 5-2

Mitchell Kernels in 5, 4-3

Khartoum Doom in 4, 3-1

Chicago Southpaws in 3, 5-0

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
As far as the Sheikhs go, I'll just keep rolling with what's been more or less working. Not really much effective micromanagement I can do anyway.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The Search for Pitching.

Figured I should probably post up what I have to offer in my quest of SPs or groundball relievers with low HR rates.

SPs my current rotation is Nichols, Bender, Very Old Cy Young, Bender, and then random deadballers. I'm looking to improve on those random deadballers, potentially looking for someone very good if the price is right.

Relievers i'm interested in:
Bruce Sutter
Rich Gossage
Larry Andersen
Tim Burke
Hoyt Wilhelm

Things I can offer:
1965 Ernie Banks - Kinda old but mogul still thinks he can play SS with great defense, hits for power but does not hit the ball often.
2003 Jeff Bagwell
1991 Randy Johnson
Relievers like Robb Nen, Mike Adams, Bryan Harvey, Pat Venditte 'X6, or Lee Smith
Deadball pitchers like: Orval Overall, Old Joe McGinnity, Stan Coveleski
DD or SD draft pick

Other people are negotiable, see my Sheet

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pander posted:

I'd say that favors the Llamas. It's a better deal than the Goog got for a prime Babe.

Not that it's a bad trade for Danno either necessarily, I'd just rather be on Llama's end there.

The RCMP were better after the trade than before it which is the only way to really judge a trade because value is fluid and the peanut gallery is wrong a lot. Or at least that's how I've been judging trades this whole time. I also worship at the Church of Ty Cobb is Overrated, though, and also don't think Hank Aaron is a startable SL COF so what do I know.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

DannoMack posted:

The RCMP were better after the trade than before it which is the only way to really judge a trade because value is fluid and the peanut gallery is wrong a lot. Or at least that's how I've been judging trades this whole time. I also worship at the Church of Ty Cobb is Overrated, though, and also don't think Hank Aaron is a startable SL COF so what do I know.

Bolded a true point. The typical zero-sum approach people take to trading doesn't account for win/win possibilities. Shoring up weaknesses by dealing out positions of strength and depth can make two teams both get better via trade.

In a vacuum I like the Llama's return more, but that doesn't mean it's not a good trade for you to make. Most of my trades to change the Corruption v2.0 into the Southpaws involved trades that probably weren't great in a vacuum. Add context, and they look a lot better.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

DannoMack posted:

Speaker > Cobb and no, Hammerin' Hank is way too inconsistent to start at CoF, so you're not wrong on either front.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Speaker being better than Cobb doesn't make Cobb overrated. You can be properly-rated as the second-best player at a position.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tris Speaker is way more expensive than Cobb though. He probably should never be traded at prime ages. Cobb is attainable, and his production puts him as the clear cut #2 best SL CF, which is always a welcome get. A 1919 Cobb is getting on the older edge of the prime, but he doesn't injure much so it's not a big risk, just less upside than a 1914 or so Cobb.

67 Aaron isn't very inconsistent, actually, He's almost always around 100-105 OPS+. His defense at 33 is best described as "meh" but his bat can start in the SL, especially in a platoon or in a power-RHH friendly stadium.

09 Rivera is fantastic and cements the closer position.

1902 Young is a great starter to pick up.

Llama picked up top-tier guys at CF and RP because Danno had exceptional depth at those positions, while swapping the best RF for a borderline RF and a borderline SP for a great SP. Llama needed help at multiple positions while Danno just needed to concentrate his depth, so this trade makes perfect sense for both sides. Personally I think you can never have too much reliever depth, so I still would prefer Llama's take, but it definitely makes Danno better in playoff situations when depth is less valuable than superstars.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pander posted:

Tris Speaker is way more expensive than Cobb though. He probably should never be traded at prime ages. Cobb is attainable, and his production puts him as the clear cut #2 best SL CF, which is always a welcome get. A 1919 Cobb is getting on the older edge of the prime, but he doesn't injure much so it's not a big risk, just less upside than a 1914 or so Cobb.

I'm saying that you can get a player near (near!) Cobb's production in CF with a platoon of any number of players, but people value Cobb so highly because he's a natural CF and, obviously, doesn't need to be platooned. I'm not saying he's bad (I already tried to get that Cobb back from Mornacale), I'm saying he's way way overpriced in the SL economy.

Pander posted:

67 Aaron isn't very inconsistent, actually, He's almost always around 100-105 OPS+. His defense at 33 is best described as "meh" but his bat can start in the SL, especially in a platoon or in a power-RHH friendly stadium.

100-105OPS+ is not necessarily a startable COF in the SL, though. Unless you have a superstar player at a normally light-hitting position to make up for it.

Pander posted:

09 Rivera is fantastic and cements the closer position.

1902 Young is a great starter to pick up.

The minute the Bomber's similar-aged Rivera retired midseason from their closer slot I decided moving old Mariano was extremely doable. 02 Young is great and I love him, and the only reason I could give him up is because I had Marichal making him the LR. Going from Young to McGinnity in the LR slot is not actually that bad.

Pander posted:

Llama picked up top-tier guys at CF and RP because Danno had exceptional depth at those positions, while swapping the best RF for a borderline RF and a borderline SP for a great SP. Llama needed help at multiple positions while Danno just needed to concentrate his depth, so this trade makes perfect sense for both sides. Personally I think you can never have too much reliever depth, so I still would prefer Llama's take, but it definitely makes Danno better in playoff situations when depth is less valuable than superstars.

You're right. I think it was an even trade specifically because I had the depth at SP, RP and CF to move three stars in those positions to get the best hitter in the game. If I didn't have Tris in CF and if Young and Rivera weren't doubles for me it would probably have been a disaster trade, and I can see why people would choose the llama's package in a vacuum. Context is important, like you said. But as I'm the only guy who seems to think Cobb is overrated I understand that people probably aren't going to be #TeamDannoMack on this one.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DannoMack posted:

The minute the Bomber's similar-aged Rivera retired midseason

Wait, what?

This is a thing that can happen? I thought that couldn't happen in commish mode.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

DannoMack posted:

The minute the Bomber's similar-aged Rivera retired midseason from their closer slot I decided moving old Mariano was extremely doable.

To be fair, I've had that Rivera for five seasons now, and this is the first time it's happened. It's no different from a season-ending injury, in the scope of the Super-League.

You should respond to the PM I sent you.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

FairGame posted:

Wait, what?

This is a thing that can happen? I thought that couldn't happen in commish mode.

I think I lost 2011 Koji Uehara 5 or 6 times.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Merry Marauder posted:

I think I lost 2011 Koji Uehara 5 or 6 times.

Phew, good thing I don't have a 2011 Ko...

aw poo poo

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

mentholmoose posted:

To be fair, I've had that Rivera for five seasons now, and this is the first time it's happened. It's no different from a season-ending injury, in the scope of the Super-League.

Oh totally. He's still a great player and my bullpen died when he left so he was the biggest immediate loss from that trade tbh. But for the same reason an injury-prone player might not be as valuable to someone, old Mariano became suddenly less untouchable once I saw that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't know that we match up well because I would while I would be willing to talk about Gossage my bullpen is so sketchy and has very little depth I might need more than you would want to give up for him

Here's my sheet if you think we could work something out for that Ernie Banks

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know that we match up well because I would while I would be willing to talk about Gossage my bullpen is so sketchy and has very little depth I might need more than you would want to give up for him

Here's my sheet if you think we could work something out for that Ernie Banks

I'll consider things, but my primary hope is to get a good starting pitcher. If i can manage that then I will see what we could do.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Pash posted:

The pickem is just for EC teams, figured I would save you some time.

Well poo poo. Thanks, Pash. Now I'll hang my head in shame.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rockford Losers vs. Sindhi Sheikhs in 4 games, 4-3

RCMP vs. Mitchell Kernels in 4 games, 5-4

Porthcawl Rakers vs. Khartoum Doom in 4 games, 3-2

Oklahoma City Bombers vs. Chicago Southpaws in 4 games, 6-5

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Of the four teams that enter today, only two will survive to the next round; the other two, dead forever. Although I think all four of these owners actually want their teams to be dead? So they're really just making more work for me. Awesome.

Got a team struggling along with no manager? Don't worry! Jeb! can fix it!
The Coldplayers remembered that life is for living!
The Diamond Dogs accidentally attached a heavier-than-air balloon to themselves.
The Decroux! will dance no more.

See, the Madducks are good now. Sure, the bullpen tried to give all those games away, but hey, progress.

With the power of Troy Glaus on their side, there was really never any doubt here.

You had a 2 game lead with 9 games to go, and ended up losing by 3. And I don't think anyone was surprised.

RIP in peace.

The Gauntlet, Round 2
Pick TWO!

Antarctic Coldplayers
Dorchester Phantoms
Genoa Janus
Mitt Romney's Outsourcers

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Gauntlet, Round 2
Pick Two!

Romneys
Genoa Janus

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yaya posted:

The Gauntlet, Round 2
Pick Two!

Romneys
Genoa Janus
Yeah, sounds right.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hey guys, I received an offer on my 20 year old Ted Williams that I think I'd be willing to move on, but I figured I might as well let it be known that I'm willing to take offers on him.

Basically I am looking for an elite position player in return. I am not explicitly shopping him so I am not going to rattle off a list of stuff I'd like, I may not even do the deal I have an offer for because it's Teddy Ballgame but I figured if I'd be willing to listen to one offer I might as well let it be known I'd be willing to move him.

edit: I will say that my end goal is to get a good Babe Ruth on to my team.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 6, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Gauntlet, Round 2
Pick TWO!

Genoa Janus

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I am shopping my 39-year old Pete Alexander. I'm looking for a CF better than Ichiro or draft picks where I could draft one

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

johnfw50 posted:

I am shopping my 39-year old Pete Alexander. I'm looking for a CF better than Ichiro or draft picks where I could draft one

Not sure how interested you would be, but I would offer Chick Hafey, and one of 1924 Stan Coveleski or 1906 Joe McGinnity. Would this interest you at all? I might be able to add something else on if need be.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Genoa Janus

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

johnfw50 posted:

you want a duke snider for him?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The Gauntlet, Round 2
Pick TWO!
Antarctic Coldplayers
Dorchester Phantoms
Genoa Janus

I was going to pick the Outsourcers just to prove that the universe is a perverse and uncaring place but everyone else is doing that so SCREW YOU GUYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Am I allowed to post while kidnapped or is that weird?