Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the castle refuses to be useful at that point.

I forgot to mention that way back in Yushia's chapter, the Sacrifice outfit will not change the cutscene of being kicked out the fortress, but you can run back in and still count as the sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry: This is the best thing to come of HMH2. I'm so glad she got a happy ending.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's a bit early but I'm going to be occupied all day so here's the update.

32: Departures and Reunions!/Polsy

Also find the exciting answer of how I recruit Sasha at global level 28! :ms:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sasha is pretty much one of the best party members in the game, so it is worth it to go after her and stick her in the party. She's pretty tanky, like the 3rd highest HP and a decent amount of defense and hits pretty hard. She's also the fastest party member in the game, even faster than you. So she'll get the first few hits in and whittle down whatever before you get there. Also Team Family is the best team, and Sasha is family. :colbert:

Geezer or Hero, is a playable character in the multiplayer part of the game as well. Funnily enough if you buy a piece of headwear to replace his hood, his sprite is essentially the same as it was in the first game, only more detailed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The music that played during the reunion with Sasha is called Magnolia. It is a remix of Casablanca.

The game mentioned that Yusha was just a kid when his dad was busy fighting Evil Lords and Time Goddess sent him to the future. In the first game, Hero was endlessly chasing Noire to the point where, after defeating Ultimate Evil Lord, he had to sleep inside a crystal due to his old age. Sasha and Yusha were not mentioned at all and we were led to believe that Hero had a family that continued to the Princess' chapter.
It was made clear that Hero had only one kid when he immediately turned into a crystal and Sasha tried to find her son and kept her memories in those books. The hero who gave rise to Princess' family ended up centuries later giving rise to a similar family of a bad rear end king with a hero princess. There would be differences, but the family is essentially the same kind of descendants as the one centuries ago that an unknown child of Hero would raise.
Either Time Goddess messing with the timeline created some kind of plot hole or genealogy is a very flexible thing when it comes to Japanese games.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 24, 2015

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

The easiest way to get Sasha is to use the item that summons golems, cause they're really good at pushing!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Scalding Coffee posted:

The game mentioned that Yusha was just a kid when his dad was busy fighting Evil Lords and Time Goddess sent him to the future. In the first game, Hero was endlessly chasing Noire to the point where, after defeating Ultimate Evil Lord, he had to sleep inside a crystal due to his old age. Sasha and Yusha were not mentioned at all and we were led to believe that Hero had a family that continued to the Princess' chapter.
It was made clear that Hero had only one kid when he immediately turned into a crystal and Sasha tried to find her son and kept her memories in those books. The hero who gave rise to Princess' family ended up centuries later giving rise to a similar family of a bad rear end king with a hero princess. There would be differences, but the family is essentially the same kind of descendants as the one centuries ago that an unknown child of Hero would raise.
Either Time Goddess messing with the timeline created some kind of plot hole or genealogy is a very flexible thing when it comes to Japanese games.

I don't remember any suggestion in the first game that Princess or her father were related to Hero, and after searching around on the internet I can't find anything to suggest this has been said anywhere.

Also the sleeping inside the crystal for Hero was so he'd be available when the world needed him most I thought.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unless there is another sequel telling otherwise, only the bloodline of Hero can have hero descendants. Time Goddess does hang around them.
You are right about the crystal. It is just that Hero spent an untold and extremely long time chasing Noir, that freezing his lifespan was needed for such times.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The end of Hero 30 didn't say exactly how long Hero kept adventuring after Overlord Hol. It could have just been a few years before they realized that Noire would not reappear until long after Hero would have died.

As far as I remember, the end of Hero 300 didn't explain when the Time Goddess was sending him to after everyone was briefly stranded in 600 GE. But it's obvious that his reuniting with Sasha took place "after" he left that time period.

There were never any hints that Princess was a descendant of his. Nor is EvilLord, and she worked with him just fine.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 24, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Scalding Coffee posted:

Unless there is another sequel telling otherwise, only the bloodline of Hero can have hero descendants. Time Goddess does hang around them.
You are right about the crystal. It is just that Hero spent an untold and extremely long time chasing Noir, that freezing his lifespan was needed for such times.

There's a difference between heroic people and those of Hero descent, after all our current allies are all heroic people. It's something to do with Time-stream I think. So descendants of Hero have exceptionally large amounts of Time-stream but that doesn't mean other people can't be heroic. I mean Time Goddess does what she does for money or because she has a personal stake/vendetta, there's really nothing special about Hero and his descendants beyond being exceptionally bad-rear end and temporally complicated because Time Goddess hangs around them in the first place.

Basically nothing ever suggests Princess is descended from Hero and as I recall other than Knight she's got the least direct interaction with the Time Goddess, and Knight is a special case anyway.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 24, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Basically nothing ever suggests Princess is descended from Hero and as I recall other than Knight she's got the least direct interaction with the Time Goddess, and Knight is a special case anyway.

It is even arguable that Knight didn't have have any meaningful interaction with the time goddess prior to Yashu showing up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MightyPretenders posted:

The end of Hero 30 didn't say exactly how long Hero kept adventuring after Overlord Hol. It could have just been a few years before they realized that Noire would not reappear until long after Hero would have died.

As far as I remember, the end of Hero 300 didn't explain when the Time Goddess was sending him to after everyone was briefly stranded in 600 GE. But it's obvious that his reuniting with Sasha took place "after" he left that time period.

There were never any hints that Princess was a descendant of his. Nor is EvilLord, and she worked with him just fine.
They did mention how her dad decided to beat up every castle for world peace and Noir tried to off him. Noir only acted because the king acted like the hero tribe and got cursed several times for it.

TG was losing lots of money for quite a long time until Evil Lord decided to fight the bad guys, then she offered her services.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay!

It won't be the last one!

33: The Legend of HERO!/Polsy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'll be honest, I wasn't too big on the finale of this game. Gameplay wise, it wasn't that interesting. Ragnarok at least had everything else to make up for the lack of gameplay. And it already played the trip down memory lane card. Story wise, Fate kinda comes out of nowhere. I realize the joke they were trying to make, but there wasn't as much buildup to it in the rest of the game. Just extremely vague hints.

Still, great LP! Thanks for showing off the game!

Oh yeah, I said there was a detail from the Revolution DLC that would come up later. It was Nanako turning Tetsu into a bomb. That's it. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the finale sorta falls...a bit flat.
It's like they came to Destiny and just ran out of really new ideas.

I was fully expecting something like that Valhalla Knights crossover hell quest in (The one with Balmung?) HMH1, but really nothing here challenges you that much.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 27, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I kinda wish they made Hero the 'main character' of the finale. Full circle and all, and it'd also keep the trend of having a different protagonist for every chapter.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I kinda wish they made Hero the 'main character' of the finale. Full circle and all, and it'd also keep the trend of having a different protagonist for every chapter.

The problem here is that, if you don't let the time run to 0 at the end of Revolution (which basically nobody will without guides or maybe title-farming), Hero dies on the collapsing continent. Not sure if you can defend one bad decision by reference to another bad decision, but his presence at the end of the game is entirely optional.

I really like the hokey "power of friendship" stuff in the grand finale, but I'll agree that the rest of Destiny is just bad. I thought my perception might have been skewed by doing it after the postgame and being stupidly overleveled even after dropping it a bunch, but in retrospect it just doesn't have many redeeming factors. We haven't even seen the worst of it yet.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Fate sucked, but that one quest music was rad so I'll give Destiny that.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The Legend of Hero is the worst finale of the game. Of course, I'd completed most of the Demon Maze already (for obvious reasons) so I just blew through it. I'm pretty sure that was how the designers intended you to approach the chapter.
The dialogue was really stilted, but in a way that seemed deliberate. Does everyone remember those old, terrible translations of the Playstation era?

While this was foreshadowed back in Overture, it still feels like the plot has degraded here at the end.

And that's because Fate's stated plan doesn't match up with Ragnarock. The Dark Time Goddess was created because the flow of timestream had become warped, and she would have stopped the flow of time altogether. If Fate is supposed to regulate time - why did it not only allow, but force that to happen?
That question is clumsily avoided here, because Fate doesn't (or can't) conjure up a personal villain for Yuja. And since he's such an idiot, he doesn't notice the inconsistancy to bring it up on his own.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Like in the first game, Noire was pretty much the final villain you had to take down, and there was a ton of buildup to that. He was the main antagonist in the first 3 game modes, and what happened in the 4th game mode was a result of one of his plans succeeding. There's nothing like that here. Aside from a comment that Yusha makes in Overture (which can very easily be written off as Yusha being Yusha instead of him being literal.) and a passing comment in Revolution about the Emperor suddenly decided to conquer the world for no reason, there's no indication that there was someone pulling the strings behind the scenes. Maybe if there were comments throughout the chapters commenting on how Fate decided things or how you can't fight it, it might have worked better.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Does that one little dark image of Fate that you can see when Yusha is having his FMV angst count for anything?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't wait for this games version of Hell Temple.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MightyPretenders posted:

The Legend of Hero is the worst finale of the game. Of course, I'd completed most of the Demon Maze already (for obvious reasons) so I just blew through it. I'm pretty sure that was how the designers intended you to approach the chapter.
The dialogue was really stilted, but in a way that seemed deliberate. Does everyone remember those old, terrible translations of the Playstation era?

While this was foreshadowed back in Overture, it still feels like the plot has degraded here at the end.

And that's because Fate's stated plan doesn't match up with Ragnarock. The Dark Time Goddess was created because the flow of timestream had become warped, and she would have stopped the flow of time altogether. If Fate is supposed to regulate time - why did it not only allow, but force that to happen?
That question is clumsily avoided here, because Fate doesn't (or can't) conjure up a personal villain for Yuja. And since he's such an idiot, he doesn't notice the inconsistancy to bring it up on his own.

Im assuming it's because there was already a hero there to stop her.
Since the gods were all dead there was nothing there to be stopped/killed to generate timestream. So dark time goddess.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So here it's time to take on the demon maze and this is the first time I've actually finished it. I also do Hero 3! This is also the title roundup for Destiny! There's a bit in this video.

Next video is going to be the final quest of the game and it's a doozy.

34: Titles and The Demon Maze!/Polsy

Also I added all of the enemy entries to the second post. I'll add in all of the item entries for the next video.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Goddess resort? Oh dear this is going to involve gambling inst it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ugh the demon maze. What a pain to go through. But Yuja does get Coo and No. 30 back. :unsmith:

Hero 3 was a game mode in the first game, a bonus game mode that's unlocked after beating Hero 300. Your reward for clearing it was a music player. Unlike this game, there was no hard mode version of it in HMH1. It's one of the hardest game modes, and the titles in that game were also kind of a pain to get. One was beating the level in under 30 seconds, while the other was for beating the game mode at level 50 or above. Which means staying on that map for a long time, making it more likely to make mistakes. Hero 3D is actually pretty tough in the time trials, since you start out at level 60 there, which means you don't just knock the enemies off the map from the start. And there's actually a hard mode version to go through. Getting the "Legendary Hero" rank in all the normal mode time trials and hard mode time trials unlocks 2 pieces of artwork in the gallery. I've got the normal mode artwork unlocked, but I've yet to get the hard mode artwork.

You can actually look around the rooms in the spike mazes. Pause the game and move the right stick around a bit. That moves the camera. Not sure what the keyboard equivalent for that is.

Incidentally, when the game first came out, you had to get every single title in the game to get the Hero Killer. The DLC titles gave much more wiggle room. It's a weapon that one shots heroes. Which is only useful in like 2 quests. It's mainly a multiplayer weapon, where the Time Goddess can randomly grant a losing player the Hero Killer if Mario Party mode is turned on.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Ah, the Demon Maze. I think I was in my low 40s when I first started exploring that, and found myself nearly level 70 by the time I got all the equipment due to being knocked out a few times. I forget if I was still around that by the time I reached Yashu but I probably didn't win that fight. I have no idea if that scaling is intentional or not...

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
You know, for a game with cool overworld and dungeon music and battle music which you will hear first two second of over and over one would think they'd decided to make the overworld music continuous, rather than reset after each encounter.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

cokerpilot posted:

Oh man, I hope so :dance:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ugh the demon maze. What a pain to go through. But Yuja does get Coo and No. 30 back. :unsmith:

...unless I missed something, I don't remember seeing Coo in that whole video.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

...unless I missed something, I don't remember seeing Coo in that whole video.

Oh, I was referring to the ending when I was talking about Coo, when the Time Goddess revived her, not in that video. Bad wording on my part.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 31, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Urgh the demon maze.
Nothing is worse than gettimg to the bottom wearing still fresh equipment and gotten some time stones just for Yashu to wreck you.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

cokerpilot posted:

So the final challenge isn't Yusha's, but Scruffy's.

Speaking of which, where is Scruffy? Has anyone checked the Goddess Craps Table?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think Scruffy gambled his massive LP fortunes away and now has to work in the Acid Mines to pay his debts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The extra stuff they give you in the game compared to the last, is much needed. I wouldn't have wanted to listen to that music the whole time in the dungeon.I gained 100 levels getting everything. The worst part is the giant gauntlet to that chest.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay! Let's head straight into THE ABYSS!

35: Final Confrontation! Farewell Heroes!/Polsy

I'm going to go ahead and call this one finished. I'm not feeling up to doing multiplayer and the workshop creations because the workshop maps are pretty much all bad and I'm lazy. :v: I will go ahead and plug one by a goon called Super Don Quixhote 64+ HD which won the map-making competition when the map-maker came out. It's not bad, especially compared to ones about defeating feminism.

I am missing out on a few pieces of artwork. Artwork 76, 77, and 78 require you to finish Infinite Battle on both modes and also to get the max rank on all the time attacks which I'm just not ready for. You can unlock them by buying an option in the Goddess Room to the tune of 19.8 million gold. I currently have less than a million in that bank and you get it by donating gold at Goddess statues. In short, I'm not doing it! If anyone can provide me pictures of those artworks it'd be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'm going to put this baby to bed. Thanks for sticking with me, folks!

e: also, there's links for every description except those artworks in the second post. Items, enemies, bosses. Check them out, some are fairly funny.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
... Well that was an ending.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Artworks 76 and 77 are actually for achieving Legendary rank on every time trial (DLC not included) on normal and hard. Artwork 78 is for 100%ing the game and getting everything else in the Goddess Room.

Oh and you do unlock a music player in the Goddess room. And it works like in the last game, overriding every song with whatever you chose... Except for Coo's song in RAGNAROK, which will always override everything. :v: You can also change the Time Goddess look in there (which is what those minions she summoned were.) and change the look of the timer.

The Yusha clones will randomly replace a random encounter. The only way to avoid running into them is to be at a high enough level to knock enemies off the map. As for speed running that quest, there's one thing that makes it much easier. The Hero Killer. It one shots heroes in multiplayer, but the Yusha clones count as Hero enemies, so they'll be taken out instantly with them, turning them into free exp. You just go straight after the Yusha clones on the map to get some boosts in levels, and then just grind money until you have enough and are strong enough to take on the Time Goddess.

Thanks for showing off the game! Yeah, I prefer the first game a lot more. It's more charming, and this game just made me realize how much better HMH's localization was. Not that this game didn't have any great moments, but Revolution and Ragnarok were the only chapters that I really enjoyed. I wish the rest of the game could have been more like that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
...what? Did I miss an episode somewhere explaining...any of what happened in that last video? That seemed like a really bizarre non-sequitur anti-climax, even for being a sidequest in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Ha ha oh time goddess.

Thanks for the LP, Scruffy. It felt like this just flew by in about 30 seconds.

• Locked thread