Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Soonmot posted:

ScaryDog, that is adorable!

Dollar per gallon should be going until 11-7, at least that when my dog training classes go back to normal price. The only problem, and the only reason Spaghetti doesn't have a brand new 40 gallon tank right now, is that I don't like the screen tops we sell and don't really trust the screen clamps to hold the lid down. Especially when I compare it to the nice slide in, locking top screen with the little padlock hole the Zilla kits come with.

Do you have pics of your top?

Sorry it took me a couple days. I didn't like the way it came out the first time, so I tore it off and redid the Velcro using a thinner version. Looks nicer, but as a result of me not knowing what I was doing at first, the tank/lid doesn't look as nice as if I had done it this way from the beginning.

http://imgur.com/a/l5doU
(Stupid Dog Hair. EVERYWHERE)

I'm still technically not done. I have to put in real hides since those are plastic pie plates that came with the apple pies I bought at a local pumpkin farm. Also, have to cover like 2/3 of the lid with aluminum foil tape to help hold in humidity since this is for a Ball Python and not a Corn Snake.

It works really drat well cuz I have trouble opening it which def means the snake is not getting out anytime soon. She keeps trying. Woken me up a few times flopping back down on the plastic tin after trying to get out.

She is also pretty feisty for Ball Python. She's struck at me so many times. It is amazing.

My sister's Ball tank using the generic Petco top and clips and not the slightly nicer fancier Zilla ones. It works OKAY. I had to super glue the lower half of the clips that go under the rim of the tank so they don't fall out. I wouldn't trust it if it held a snake that was actually interested in getting out like a Corn or my Ball Python does, but her little boy is perfectly happy hiding all day every day so fine for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love this little girl so much. :kimchi:

Still giving her plenty of space, but she was eager to help herself to the food spoon when I was getting her meal all mixed and put on display, sooo...that happened.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Guhh cresties are ridiculously cute, I love their feet so much.

Is that viv temporary for her? I know cresties are arboreal and like to be high up rather than on the floor but she looks young so I don't know if they start like that or what?

Here's a terrible pic of Resident Evil 4:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Yes, yes this will work.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
drat, Silver. Want to come set up my vivs all nicely for me?

Would spend the day in the room getting bitten by annoyed herps :kimchi:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Yes, yes this will work.

If this were a fishroom I'd say "Stocklist?" but I don't know if that is the correct term here. Can you tell us what all is in that incredibly impressive reptile room, please?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Nitrate posted:

Yes, yes this will work.

I feel like if my housemate hadn't already turned the spare room into a 'games and comic book poo poo' room, this would have been the result instead because of me. So cool!

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Desert Bus posted:

If this were a fishroom I'd say "Stocklist?" but I don't know if that is the correct term here. Can you tell us what all is in that incredibly impressive reptile room, please?

Collection or stock? Idk if we have a certain term.

2.2 Boa constrictors - hypo, hypo motley, normal
1.1 Solomon island ground boas - Isabel isle locality
2.1 Solomon island ground boas - no locality
1.1 Waigeo island tree boas
2.1 Dumeril's boas
1.0 Rosy boa
1.1 Cape gopher snakes
2.3 Bullsnakes - Texas, Kankakee, white side, albino patternless
0.1 Jungle carpet python
0.1 Centrillian carpet python
1.0 Angolan python
1.1 Grey rat snakes
1.1 Taiwan beauty snakes
1.0 Japanese rat snake
1.0 Ruthven's kingsnake
0.0.1 Longnose snake

0.3 Leopard geckos
0.0.2 African fire skinks

0.1 Dwarf pyxie frog
0.0.1 Giant pyxie frog

1.0 Gulf coast box turtle

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Collection or stock? Idk if we have a certain term.

2.2 Boa constrictors - hypo, hypo motley, normal
1.1 Solomon island ground boas - Isabel isle locality
2.1 Solomon island ground boas - no locality
1.1 Waigeo island tree boas
2.1 Dumeril's boas
1.0 Rosy boa
1.1 Cape gopher snakes
2.3 Bullsnakes - Texas, Kankakee, white side, albino patternless
0.1 Jungle carpet python
0.1 Centrillian carpet python
1.0 Angolan python
1.1 Grey rat snakes
1.1 Taiwan beauty snakes
1.0 Japanese rat snake
1.0 Ruthven's kingsnake
0.0.1 Longnose snake

0.3 Leopard geckos
0.0.2 African fire skinks

0.1 Dwarf pyxie frog
0.0.1 Giant pyxie frog

1.0 Gulf coast box turtle

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

What's the collection point/range whatever on the Kankakee Bullsnake? I live right by that river. And how is the Box Turtle doing these days?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm not sure of her exact location, she's several generations removed from the wild.

Edit: Here are her parents

Bernie is doing good, I got these weird reptile sausage things with ground rabbit and veggies and he loves them. It's hilarious watching him eat sausages.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 2, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So my newish Ball Python that I picked up Tinley Park. I named it Samus. Anyway I gave her a rat last night. I found JUST THE HEAD in her enclosure today. I didn't really watch her eat last night except to know that she was trying to eat it feet first so I have no real idea how she managed to cleanly sever the head. Only real wound to the head, besides the whole not being attached to the body, was that most of the skin off the lower jaw was missing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

dog days are over posted:

Guhh cresties are ridiculously cute, I love their feet so much.

Is that viv temporary for her? I know cresties are arboreal and like to be high up rather than on the floor but she looks young so I don't know if they start like that or what?

Here's a terrible pic of Resident Evil 4:

I LOVE HIM (and his name). :kimchi:

Ginger is ittybitty right now, and I've been warned that ittybitty geckos will waste too much energy exploring and forget to eat, so she's in a smaller viv right now compared to where she'll be in adulthood. She still has some vertical climb available (both the tiki statue and the fake vine easily support her gymnastics), but not as much as I want to give her whenever she's older and less stupid.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

my cat is norris posted:

I LOVE HIM (and his name). :kimchi:

Ginger is ittybitty right now, and I've been warned that ittybitty geckos will waste too much energy exploring and forget to eat, so she's in a smaller viv right now compared to where she'll be in adulthood. She still has some vertical climb available (both the tiki statue and the fake vine easily support her gymnastics), but not as much as I want to give her whenever she's older and less stupid.

Makes sense!

Getting pics of Resi is murder because she doesn't tolerate handling very well and takes forever to stop flinging herself off my hands and settle down a little. I don't think she's ever going to be much of a fan of handling but I feel like I should be doing it for a few mins every couple days just to check her over and hope that she starts to get the message that I am not looming death and maybe it's ok to chill out!
That pic I took is after I'd tried to coax her to eat some live food again, but nothing doing. Zero interest. She'd been off her food a bit for a couple weeks which I thought was maybe down to it getting colder now, but I put in a totally different flavour of Pangea and lo and behold she cleaned it up. :rolleyes:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Spaghetti is a fan of midnight snacks. I gave him two pinkies again last night and he ate one right away, slurped some water drops from the side of his tank and then hid under his rock, ignoring the second pinkie. I went to bed without taking out the second pinkie and, upon waking this afternoon, saw that it was gone :3

I am still endlessly amused by him drinking off the tank glass.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Spaghetti is adorable.

I'd be interested in seeing a full pic of Resi's home! I'm not sure yet how to set up Ginger's adult home.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Pretty sure I own the most chill beardie ever, been reading all about how grumpy they can get if you wake them up but whenever he falls asleep on me and I plonk him back in his tank he just sort of half opens his eyes, looks around and then is asleep on my hand again before he's even back in the tank. He was puffing up at something yesterday but stopped when he saw me. Totally chill the rest of the time.

Quick question about calcium, anyway. I dust all his locusts and veg but I found him licking the powder the other day. Does this mean he needs more than I'm already giving him, or is he just weird? I dabbed some on my finger and he licked it off but figured I'd leave it after that and ask here in case he ODs and dies or whatever.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Since we're all posting cute geckos lately... Here is Pumpkin Spice and his Gargoyle cousin Greg.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So my mom has a new physical therapist, and he came to the house yesterday. We had warned the agency about the cats but they forgot to tell him about the snakes. Guess who is petrified of snakes? But also wants to overcome that fear. So he held a baby sand boa and two ball pythons for a few minutes yesterday. Totally enthralled by them. He did make the offhand comment that if someone ever tried to rob us, they'd take one look around at all the cages and bail the gently caress out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my mom has a new physical therapist, and he came to the house yesterday. We had warned the agency about the cats but they forgot to tell him about the snakes. Guess who is petrified of snakes? But also wants to overcome that fear. So he held a baby sand boa and two ball pythons for a few minutes yesterday. Totally enthralled by them. He did make the offhand comment that if someone ever tried to rob us, they'd take one look around at all the cages and bail the gently caress out.

Pretty cool that the guy went so far as to handle a couple of the snakes.

I am in love with geckos. Post more geckos!

Last night, I went to feed Ginger, and she got all jumpy on me. Ended up jumping into my hands, jumping out of my hands, running up my arm, jumping onto my glasses, falling down my shirt, jumping into my hands, falling onto the floor, then jumping back into my hands. At one point she meeped. It was an adorable little display of instantly-regretted actions.

Later, she was hiding at the very top of her vine, trying to look her most regal. You'll get there, baby.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Silver Nitrate posted:

Bernie is doing good, I got these weird reptile sausage things with ground rabbit and veggies and he loves them. It's hilarious watching him eat sausages.

Please post photos and/or video of your turtle eating sausages :3:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

happyflurple posted:

Quick question about calcium, anyway. I dust all his locusts and veg but I found him licking the powder the other day. Does this mean he needs more than I'm already giving him, or is he just weird? I dabbed some on my finger and he licked it off but figured I'd leave it after that and ask here in case he ODs and dies or whatever.
A lot of desert reptiles have an instinct to lick mineral deposits off rocks or whatever, like a salt lick. I wouldn't worry about him not getting enough from dusting his crickets or getting too much, it's just something they do. I put in a small dish of calcium powder in with my collared lizards and let them self-regulate as needed and I've never had a problem.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

my cat is norris posted:

I am in love with geckos. Post more geckos!

Here are the rest of my geckos.

Meet Princess, the toeless Leopard Gecko.

And the soon to be couple Bahamut and Tiamat (When Tiamat gets big enough)

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Cless Alvein posted:

Bahamut and Tiamat

Great names! Are you a big folklore/mythology geek like me?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awesome! :neckbeard: I love the Bahamut and Tiamat names, too.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

I don't mean to slight Princess by the way. She deserves the title :3:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hey, I finally have some not-completely-lovely photos of Ophis!

He seems to have settled in well, still eating rats without hesitation and he seems a lot more relaxed about being handled now. First time we took him out of the habitat, he just wanted to get back in; this time he wanted to say hi to everyone and sniff everything. :3:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Guava posted:

Great names! Are you a big folklore/mythology geek like me?

I can be. More Norse and Celtic than Arabic and Mesopotamia. I chose them more for their D&D connotations and it fits them very well besides the whole siblings thing. Although it sorta still fits since Tiamat is a water deity who is sometimes depicted as a dragon and Bahamut is a giant fish.

Bahamut is very good and kind and awesome and will allow you basically do whatever you want without even getting slightly grumpy.

Tiamat will bark and spit at you because you sprayed her enclosure. I've been bitten many time, but she'll grow out of it eventually. Bahamut did.

Edit:Buttercup likes napping on my bed. Lifted up the blanket I threw on him to find this:

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 5, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Fun names?

Our albino male ball is Dracula. Nothing htat insane. His albinoa mate is Luna. Their kids are Saul Goodman, Jesse Pinkman, and Tuco (I sold Heisenberg). The lesser pair is Wasp and Bee. The champagne female is Jane (full name is I Watched Jane Die). And the new dragonfly is named Dragonfly to round out the bug names.

Alien, Topaz, and V are the others (normal, pastel, bumblebee). And our two Kenyan sand boas, Nod and Nemesis. Their nine babies don't have names other than EAT THE loving PINKIE.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cresties: Ghost, Fire, Brimstone, and Sulfur. Brimstone's the male, the rest are female. Our gargoyle is named Lichen. Our Phyllobates bicolor is named Goldie, but I call her Goldie Hawn. We had two Dendrobates lucomelas (bumblebee dart frogs) named pumpkin and butternut, but they're both gone now, and our remaining leuc doesn't have a name. One of the two firebellied toads is Redbeard, but the other isn't named. (We stopped naming frogs, they're too fragile, and also often hard to tell apart.)

Might as well mention the cats, too: Bean, Sophia, Doofus, Gentleman, Billie Jean, and (ugh, but we didn't name her) Sweetie.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Guess I'll list the rest. I'm sure I've said em before,but whatevers.

Gwenhwyfar -Armadillo Lizard
Samus- Female Spider Het for Pied Ball Python
Professor Snake - Male Normal Ball
Slithers MD - Anerythristic Corn never sexed it or the other corn
The Honorable Judge Shiloh- Amelanistic Corn
Mentioned him/her lots of times, but Buttercup Northern Blue Tongue Skink

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

I just have Cocoa (my snow king) and Minnie (my hognose) at the moment

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Knormal posted:

A lot of desert reptiles have an instinct to lick mineral deposits off rocks or whatever, like a salt lick. I wouldn't worry about him not getting enough from dusting his crickets or getting too much, it's just something they do. I put in a small dish of calcium powder in with my collared lizards and let them self-regulate as needed and I've never had a problem.

Cool, cheers! He seems to be growing well and is definitely active and occasionally dumb as a brick just wanted to make sure, never had a baby beardie before, my partner had one when she was younger and he's still kicking about now at the age of twelve or so but that was ages ago so is good to read up on stuff. I really wanted to take the adult home with us but her Mum's taken a shine to him, I guess and he's so old I'd feel bad making him go through a long car journey.

In other reptile-y news, our Mountain Horned Dragon is shedding and he just looks so ashamed, like 'don't LOOK at me'. Poor thing. He does look pretty loving grim but it's all coming off well.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 6, 2015

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

All of your pets have such awesome names. I'm beginning to think Ginger might be too tame and uncreative. :haw:

Here she is this morning:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have a 40 gallon tall aquarium I'd like to make a vivarium out of. It is 13" deep by 36" wide by 24" tall. I have full spectrum LED lighting for growing plants, but I don't know if it provides UVB I want to do a small colony of herps or amphibians, or maybe even invertebrates. Since the tank is so tall with not a lot of floor space, I think my best bet would be something pretty small and arboreal. I have narrowed down my choices to either 3-4 crested geckos or maybe some poison dart frogs. But, before I get started I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for any cool pets I might be missing. I don't plan on handing them at all, but I do want things that are bold enough to come out and be viewed.

I considered a chameleon, but I don't think the aquarium is ideal for them. Anoles seem too shy. Cane toads were vetoed lol.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Definitely don't do a chameleon in that, at least not a conventional chameleon like a Veiled or a Panther. It's too short, and doesn't sound like it has enough airflow. Some of the little ground chameleons might be okay, but I don't really know too much about their requirements, and they tend to not be common in the pet trade anyway. I think geckos or anoles would probably be your best bet, anoles aren't really shy at all assuming you're talking about your standard green anole, but it can be hard to find healthy ones in pet stores since they're basically the 10-cent goldfish of the reptile trade. A day gecko of some kind might be cool, they're like anoles but cuter. Just make sure whatever you get is something that tolerates living in colonies if you want to keep more than one in that space.

Dart frogs are a lot more work than any of the lizards, they're really finicky about humidity levels.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I've actually kept Terrbilis before, so I'm used to PDF's. Plus I live in humid part of the country. I've been seeing some really awesome moss-covered tanks on Youtube, so I think I'm starting to lean more towards amphibians. Honestly, the fun part for me is the tank, I just put animals in there so people will shut up bout "What's in there?" Maybe firebellies or some type of newt.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Silly question maybe, but do some hognose like to climb? Mine doesn't have anything much to climb on in her tank right now, but I see a lot of this (linked because the mobile app won't let me post images right now): x
x

I would love to provide her with a branch (or whatever anyone suggests) if people think she might use it. The only reason she doesn't have that type of cage furniture is that every herp person I've ever known says hognose don't climb ever ever ever. But this is climbing, no?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is it normal for one's gecko to hang upside down from her vine? 'Cause that's what she was doing this afternoon. Just...completely upside down.

Also, how can I be sure she's eating enough? :ohdear: If I see tiny gecko poops, does that mean I've got little to worry about?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Is it normal for one's gecko to hang upside down from her vine? 'Cause that's what she was doing this afternoon. Just...completely upside down.

Also, how can I be sure she's eating enough? :ohdear: If I see tiny gecko poops, does that mean I've got little to worry about?

Sometimes. Probably fell asleep like that.

Enough to eat is a difficult one. You need a scale capable of measuring in grams; we use a digital food scale. Average weight of a crestie, full grown with tail, is something like 45 grams. That's not so important.

What is important is weighing the lizard every once in a while and making sure that weight is being gained or maintained. A little bit of weight loss might be an aberration, like a goof in the scale or an exceptionally large poop just before weighing. What you should worry about is sudden, large weight loss or gradual, consistent weight loss. Both of those indicate something is wrong.

I'm thinking you can relax, though. New parent syndrome got you all riled up. Been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Females also lose a little weight every time they lay eggs.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a crestie not eating enough unless it's refusing food for over a week, or if it's losing substantial weight; but, you should be offering enough food that the gecko isn't eating every last drop every time.