Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
SOX pisses me off. What a giant goddamn waste of time. I watch these contractor auditors and the contractor auditors that are helping us get ready for the real auditors and our own internal audit staff and it's just such a massive example of bullshit moneywasting busywork that produces nothing of any value, and yet manages to constantly get in the way of actually getting poo poo done. The Worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

hihifellow posted:

Made a quick PowerShell script that reports on any members of the local admin group that shouldn't be there to a remote server. Gotten back 18 results so far and I know exactly who is responsible for all of them. The culprit even put his own domain account in the local admin group for a computer for some reason. Gonna hand the list to my boss without naming names and just let her come to her own conclusions.

How did he give himself admin in the first place? Did he guess a general administrator password?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Pissing me off: the clusterfuck of mismatched hardware

Any time there's any sort of incompatibility between say, a desktop and a monitor, my company has historically opted for the bandaid solution. An off the shelf graphics card from Best Buy or an adapter from Amazon instead of replacing VGA-only monitors or aging desktops.

As a result, we have such a hosed patchwork of monitors, graphics cards, and desktops. In a few of our conference rooms, we have DVI->HDMI->Ethernet->HDMI to get from the computer to the TV.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How did he give himself admin in the first place? Did he guess a general administrator password?

He's a desktop tech, he's in a group that gets local admin.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

AlternateAccount posted:

SOX pisses me off. What a giant goddamn waste of time. I watch these contractor auditors and the contractor auditors that are helping us get ready for the real auditors and our own internal audit staff and it's just such a massive example of bullshit moneywasting busywork that produces nothing of any value, and yet manages to constantly get in the way of actually getting poo poo done. The Worst.

Auditor: "Here's a finding. Fix it. Here's the suggested fix."
You: "It's fixed."
Auditor: "Now that you've fixed it. Here are the findings for the suggested fix. Fix them."

Rinse and repeat. I go through this every 6 months.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
gently caress rude people.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Auditor: "Here's a finding. Fix it. Here's the suggested fix."
You: "It's fixed."
Auditor: "Now that you've fixed it. Here are the findings for the suggested fix. Fix them."

Rinse and repeat. I go through this every 6 months.

Let me guess, they blindly read off whatever report that is generated by whatever software they are using? End of research.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

hihifellow posted:

He's a desktop tech, he's in a group that gets local admin.

So did he have one admin account and one normal user account?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Sickening posted:

Let me guess, they blindly read off whatever report that is generated by whatever software they are using? End of research.

Bingo.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

gently caress that poo poo forever! Then when you go back to the auditor and explain how their finding is wrong or not applicable they just respond with a "well it was reported by our software". Yes I get that, make one tiny bit of effort and try to apply some reason to why that could be afalse positive or wrong.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So did he have one admin account and one normal user account?

Nope, one account that gets local admin. No it doesn't make sense to me either.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

This is 80-95% of auditors/sec compliance people.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
When I was doing my network + class, one of the people in there was a Moss Adams auditor. They did our audits at my company. She was dumb as a sack of bricks. She basically did the whole "well i'm doing this because my company pays for a training a year and this seemed like a thing" and couldn't ever keep up with the class, couldn't do any of the math involved... it was just a tragedy.

Our auditors also once came in and gave a presentation and then started freaking out when the companies AV client popped up over the presentation and started running mid day.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Setting up a new Certificate Services chain for Preprod/Testing. New offline Root and Intermediate CA.
To get access to the servers I need to:
1.) Contact the tech at our DR Datacentre
2.) Have him share his screen via Lync and pass me control
3.) RDP to a jump station in the correct domain
4.) Have him enter his admin credentials, as I don't have the proper permissions
5.) Launch VMWare Web Console. Again, have the tech enter his credentials.
6.) Use VMWare console to launch a machine
6a.)Use that machine to RDP to the Intermediate CA server
or
7.) Use VMWare to connect to the Root Server

I can't loving cut and paste the command list I wrote yesterday. And I swear I would get better latency passing this poo poo through the loving Mars Rover.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Antioch posted:

Setting up a new Certificate Services chain for Preprod/Testing. New offline Root and Intermediate CA.
To get access to the servers I need to:
1.) Contact the tech at our DR Datacentre
2.) Have him share his screen via Lync and pass me control
3.) RDP to a jump station in the correct domain
4.) Have him enter his admin credentials, as I don't have the proper permissions
5.) Launch VMWare Web Console. Again, have the tech enter his credentials.
6.) Use VMWare console to launch a machine
6a.)Use that machine to RDP to the Intermediate CA server
or
7.) Use VMWare to connect to the Root Server

I can't loving cut and paste the command list I wrote yesterday. And I swear I would get better latency passing this poo poo through the loving Mars Rover.

Ahhhh fun times. Due to PCI Compliance we have to use a jump box to access any of our clients retail locations or the backend servers we manage for them. Not normally bad, except now we're building a NEW backend, but we can't access that backend from the current jump boxes, so I have to RDP to our current jump box, then RDP to a current backend server, then RDP to one of our new VM hosts, and then console into the server I want. I can RDP from our current backend to an application server instead of going the console route, except idiots don't know how to log off servers so they're constantly at the 2-person limit, so I've given up and just console into everything.

It's not awful, but being 4 layers deep gets confusing when I start trying to multitask, also the 5-10 second delay on stuff gets annoying after an extended period of time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

Don't forget that it takes an army of them and they're billing at some ungodly rate to spread irritation and timewasting.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad that daylight savings time still exists and totally isn't a pointless ritual in TYOOL 2015 so it can continue to gently caress up calculations that I get to deal with.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

I'm glad that daylight savings time still exists and totally isn't a pointless ritual in TYOOL 2015 so it can continue to gently caress up calculations that I get to deal with.

in TYOOL 2015 how do people still have systems/processes/whatevers that STILL can't handle DST properly?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MF_James posted:

in TYOOL 2015 how do people still have systems/processes/whatevers that STILL can't handle DST properly?

Dates and times are actually pretty hard to deal with because there are so many edge cases you don't normally think about and just take for granted. DST is just one of those. I don't blame anyone for messing up on date/time stuff at some point, unless they're just being plain stupid like saying all months are 30 days or something.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MF_James posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY <--because of things like this.

Also, we had a dst blep here where I work, but its not the normal ones. We track DST pretty well, but when it changes, some parts of the app that read the value of TZOFFSET don't reread it daily, just when the process starts.

We have automated process restarts at 1am. DST changes after that, so, some people that were working on Sunday freaked out.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

MF_James posted:

Ramadan can gently caress your poo poo up proper.
Hey, it's DST! But not for these 5 weeks that change very year. And only for these countries.

http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/egypt-morocco-dst-ramadan-2014.html

MF_James
May 8, 2008

topenga posted:

Ramadan can gently caress your poo poo up proper.
Hey, it's DST! But not for these 5 weeks that change very year. And only for these countries.

http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/egypt-morocco-dst-ramadan-2014.html

Never knew about this, I retract my statement, why in TYOOL 2015 does everybody feel like they need to be a special snowflake.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

MF_James posted:

Never knew about this, I retract my statement, why in TYOOL 2015 does everybody feel like they need to be a special snowflake.

The internet?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sickening posted:

Yes. It's often a game of "What did Nexpose say this time, fellas?"

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Today, in a great attempt to not use tables (because tables are baaaaaad) our html people came up with this:

<div class="table">
<div class="table-row">
<div class="table-column">
<div class="table-cell">
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

:bang:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress you and your iPhone and iPad.

I don't mind setting up your work email account on whatever device you have if you bring it in. But don't bring all your personal devices in too because you joined them all on iCloud and are pissed that they all ring or the wallpapers are all the same or whatever the gently caress else is going on.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

MF_James posted:

I had no idea either until I had to verify a defect relating to it. :argh:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

canis minor posted:

Today, in a great attempt to not use tables (because tables are baaaaaad) our html people came up with this:

<div class="table">
<div class="table-row">
<div class="table-column">
<div class="table-cell">
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

:bang:

This is basically what modern CSS frameworks (like bootstrap) do. In my somewhat limited experience it's just as headache-inducing as tables ever were.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Che Delilas posted:

This is basically what modern CSS frameworks (like bootstrap) do. In my somewhat limited experience it's just as headache-inducing as tables ever were.

But now it's semantic! :suicide101:

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Tables are totally cool if you're displaying tabular data. Not so cool for layout. Bootstrap and other frameworks use a grid system for layout, which (kind of) emulates tables with slightly cleaner markup. It works a lot better than tables from a markup standpoint and responsive design standpoint.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Holy crap what happened to Cisco? I have seen them be sort of stupid regarding things telecom, but right now my Architect is lecturing a Cisco support engineer on how TCP works.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I'm at s MS event called "Cloud Roadshow" with the tag "Skill-up for the cloud."
Makes me wish I had a cloud-to-butt filter for my glasses.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

tomapot posted:

I'm at s MS event called "Cloud Roadshow" with the tag "Skill-up for the cloud."
Makes me wish I had a cloud-to-butt filter for my glasses.

Someone should create QR code stickers for that plugin. Then, when you see a poster like that you can stick a QR code on it with "For more information, scan me".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress you and your iPhone and iPad.

I don't mind setting up your work email account on whatever device you have if you bring it in. But don't bring all your personal devices in too because you joined them all on iCloud and are pissed that they all ring or the wallpapers are all the same or whatever the gently caress else is going on.

I hear this - and inevitably, if something goes tits up with their personal device, it's YOUR fault. Because they surely didn't gently caress anything up between the time you set up email and the phone broke because they were checking messages in the bathroom and dropped it in the lovely toilet, or it fell out of their pocket face down and the screen shattered.

I make it a personal point to cover my rear end whenever setting those up, or flat out refuse to mess with personal items (at most I'll send an instructional doc with screenshots). Plenty of places I've worked have stopped letting people use personal devices because whenever it breaks, it's never their fault, always the fault of IT or whomever helped, and has potential to make the company/person liable for damages. Best part is when rules are documented about personal/work items and people sign off but don't read it, then get pissed later when their drive crashes or system needs a wipe from a virus and we didn't recover their precious iTunes collection or family photos. "Oh hey, here's the part where we specifically stated if your system crashes, we only recover work-related items. Personal music, movies, photos, or anything else not directly related to your job isn't our problem. You didn't read before signing, that's YOUR fault."

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Oh, quite contraire - bootstrap manages to do it with two divs. But when people that are using bootstrap (and should have experience with it) do it with four, and then apply javascript on top of it to make all columns scale to the same height, then you just :allears:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

I hear this - and inevitably, if something goes tits up with their personal device, it's YOUR fault. Because they surely didn't gently caress anything up between the time you set up email and the phone broke because they were checking messages in the bathroom and dropped it in the lovely toilet, or it fell out of their pocket face down and the screen shattered.

I make it a personal point to cover my rear end whenever setting those up, or flat out refuse to mess with personal items (at most I'll send an instructional doc with screenshots). Plenty of places I've worked have stopped letting people use personal devices because whenever it breaks, it's never their fault, always the fault of IT or whomever helped, and has potential to make the company/person liable for damages. Best part is when rules are documented about personal/work items and people sign off but don't read it, then get pissed later when their drive crashes or system needs a wipe from a virus and we didn't recover their precious iTunes collection or family photos. "Oh hey, here's the part where we specifically stated if your system crashes, we only recover work-related items. Personal music, movies, photos, or anything else not directly related to your job isn't our problem. You didn't read before signing, that's YOUR fault."
I do not understand people who keep important, non-backed-up personal poo poo on their work computers. What happens if you're fired, or the building burns down?

Like, Google Drive, Dropbox, and a dozen other cloud storage services are free and easy to use; it's not loving rocket science.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Thanatosian posted:

I do not understand people who keep important, non-backed-up personal poo poo on their work computers. What happens if you're fired, or the building burns down?

Like, Google Drive, Dropbox, and a dozen other cloud storage services are free and easy to use; it's not loving rocket science.

At my last job they didn't even want us using webmail clients out of fear we might steal something. We only got access to gmail back because people were using it for testing purposes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Khisanth Magus posted:

At my last job they didn't even want us using webmail clients out of fear we might steal something. We only got access to gmail back because people were using it for testing purposes.

At least once a day I have to approve an email stuck in quarantine because someone emailed themselves from their work email to their Gmail cat photos or something. Part of me wants to tell them that they can just send email to themselves within Gmail/Hotmail/whatever, but I also don't want to let them know this is possible in case they try to steal data or documents or whatever else that our firewall stops.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My 2016 plans for using Azure and O365 to reduce the importance of the HQ server room is dead. They want so many things but they won't pay for it. They want to protect the company in case of a disaster in L.A. that takes out the server room, but they won't pay for hosting email and files. They don't want to pay to continue using their web-based file sharing service but they don't want to use OneDrive for Business instead because people will have to learn something new. They want files available anywhere on any device but they won't pay to get our file server VM hosted, or migrated to something like Sharepoint. They want everyone to have the latest version of Office but won't pay for the O365 subscription that includes everything they're asking for.

It's not only like fighting with both hands tied behind my back, I'm also somehow punching myself in the face.

On the upside after removing all the proposed changes that ostensibly I was hired to put in place my revised budget is much smaller than the original and that makes them happy. They want I.T. numbers to only ever get smaller. Except... these numbers are significantly higher than last year due to growth. BUT... there was no I.T. budget in 2014 so those columns are blank and I guess that means 2014 didn't matter.

If they're happy that's all that counts but it leaves me wondering what I'm going to be doing in 2016. Alot of Candy Crush, I guess.

EDIT: Ha! My boss just sent me an email that she'd like to see another cost/benefits analysis. I'm going to make something without any costs. It's going to be a list of what they wanted matched up against where my proposal satisfies those requirements. I'll use lots of green shading to indicate how they'll get all these things plus trimmings like centralized instant messaging, screensharing, etc. Curious to see what happens.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Being a scapegoat more likely.

Since you're actually in a position of vague authority, I hope you sent them all CYA docs that no, these things which have no budget will not be done, and that if an earthquake takes out the server room in LA there is no business continuity.