Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

So grithok is confirmed for guild leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

He was pretty all right in Wushu.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Instead of kung fu movie night, are we gonna do a korean movie night instead to improve community relations

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Ko-re-a, ah, ah

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Corea

So I did the second dungeon as a tank, and by tank I mean if you picked up 1 peltasta level you are a tank.

Cataphract really does help out since you can run faster, but it looks like the thing I need the most is more hp and more magic resistance since the only thing that gets past my shield is magic.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/wAH2rR7.gifv

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://puu.sh/l9w27/6cb5117dcf.webm

It gives a buff that gives +3 STR -2 Max Stam, stacking 10 times. P. sweet!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

http://puu.sh/l9w27/6cb5117dcf.webm

It gives a buff that gives +3 STR -2 Max Stam, stacking 10 times. P. sweet!

This game needs to come out already.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. I like this buff animation as it's really stupid. But I agree. VVVVV

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 5, 2015

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Mayor McCheese posted:

This game needs to come out already.

Not in this state....

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
So are people playing the early access now? When's the full game being released?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Infinite Monkeys posted:

So are people playing the early access now? When's the full game being released?

"2016"

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Wait nvm wrong thread haha

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

whalestory posted:

Not in this state....

I dunno man, game looks ready to me

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
After my first run on the level 50 dungeon and seeing how underwhelming pyromancers are in a group with fireballs that can't hit anything. The next dungeon I ran at level 90 I managed to change classes to Linker and oh my god the difference is huge. I can link everything and pull them all onto one spot for the swordsmen to smack them all with their cleaving attacks. Its really satisfying to grab a group and hear/see the giant exploding numbers fly off the screen. I really do recommend the Linker class. Its not just for grouping, I find being able to link 5 monsters together then dropping a fireball really speeds up my kill speed. I recorded the run I did earlier if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzRwmGpjdgU

I managed to get an offhand dagger off the box from the boss that run too. It gives 130ish fire damage for it but I'm not sure what fire damage is. Is it like attack damage from a weapon? Does it affect my spells? Does it only affect fire spells? Should I use a rod instead of a staff and use that as an offhand and it would give me like twice as much damage? Or is it a weapon you use to swing when attacking and completely useless for spells?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Velveteen posted:

After my first run on the level 50 dungeon and seeing how underwhelming pyromancers are in a group with fireballs that can't hit anything. The next dungeon I ran at level 90 I managed to change classes to Linker and oh my god the difference is huge. I can link everything and pull them all onto one spot for the swordsmen to smack them all with their cleaving attacks. Its really satisfying to grab a group and hear/see the giant exploding numbers fly off the screen. I really do recommend the Linker class. Its not just for grouping, I find being able to link 5 monsters together then dropping a fireball really speeds up my kill speed. I recorded the run I did earlier if anyone is interested.

I managed to get an offhand dagger off the box from the boss that run too. It gives 130ish fire damage for it but I'm not sure what fire damage is. Is it like attack damage from a weapon? Does it affect my spells? Does it only affect fire spells? Should I use a rod instead of a staff and use that as an offhand and it would give me like twice as much damage? Or is it a weapon you use to swing when attacking and completely useless for spells?

See me panicking about not being able to take linker for basically this reason. Improves the hell out of both my solo and team play. joint > hangman > ice pike is downright nasty.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I'm not really enjoying this beta with the increased xp rates. It's become just another mad rush to solo beeline-grind all the quests and get max level. Basically it has become every other MMO.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im fine with rates as they are because it makes both grinding and questing viable versus having to do both to even stand a chance. If the rates were 'normal' I just wouldnt be able to deal with the grind and find something else to play

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Velveteen posted:

That dagger is insane and seems to affect everything, because it works in my Sadhu's OOB form effectively granting me +450 damage (since I hit 3 times).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How does sadhu spirit form actually work? I was thinking of going paladin for more defensive support on my melee cleric going into monk eventually but if sadhu gives a big damage boost I'd rather go there.

e-Can you just autoattack? Does self casted buffs like blessing and sacrament affect your autoattack?

Welp sadhu seem to scale from int so thats a no go.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 5, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think when this game goes live I am going to make a circle 3 hoplite crit build

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

So Psychokinos can grab people's upgrading anvils and throw them away to destroy the anvil and make people lose the upgrade cost, go forth and do what you may with this information.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

pertinent posted:

I'm not really enjoying this beta with the increased xp rates. It's become just another mad rush to solo beeline-grind all the quests and get max level. Basically it has become every other MMO.

we're getting like 5x the exp in cbt

so you can enjoy having like 3 skills for a class for months at a time, if that's your thing. Personally I'd rather have a game with a bunch of content at max level so I can have a character with a rounded out skillset with emergent party mechanics instead of spamming the same attack over and over and over for breadcrumb quests with uninspired plots until kingdom come

remember that this game is capping out at like... 400-600 and the curve continues to skyrocket as you move along

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Hivac posted:

we're getting like 5x the exp in cbt

so you can enjoy having like 3 skills for a class for months at a time, if that's your thing. Personally I'd rather have a game with a bunch of content at max level so I can have a character with a rounded out skillset with emergent party mechanics instead of spamming the same attack over and over and over for breadcrumb quests with uninspired plots until kingdom come

remember that this game is capping out at like... 400-600 and the curve continues to skyrocket as you move along

I hope they increase exp rates.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Every one of you is a terrible human being for playing this game. :shobon:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I would love something like Diablo 3's Adventure Mode in a game like this, a way to actually have a lot of variety in end game environments and content and an excuse to revist leveling content. As opposed to the typical hitting end game and then you either quit or grind the same 2-3 dungeons into infinity.

I guess something like GW2's scaling works better in an MMO environment though, and that's something you really have to build your game around I think.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I am still on the fence with this game. I got to level 60something and still haven't seen much that I find enjoyable. That loving first level 50 "dungeon" is just a poo poo hallway packed with trash that gives lots of xp and the boss was so forgettable I actually don't even remember what he did.

I thought the group stuff is where the game was supposed to be enjoyable because standing in a zone blasting mobs that all literally do the same loving thing with a new skin thrown over them is boring as hell. The bosses from all the questlines are just giant HP sponges that barely put up a fight save a small few that actually poo poo all over the screen.

Ill take your argument for "The game doesn't start at the max level, it is the journey to it" and ask you where the loving "game" is. Because all I have been doing is walking my rear end from one zone to the next and just blowing up packs of mobs that can't be bothered to do something more elaborate than walk towards me and wait 3 seconds then do a stand still attack and some occasionally shoot arrows at me.

The loving crafting is total dogshit where they require you to eat the recipes in the process of making an item so being a crafter is out unless you want to waste an entire class on some poo poo gimmick that is sort of like crafting.

My point is that the whole game is piss easy and gives you nothing to do but grind no challenge mobs so you can go to the next zone and grind more poo poo mobs with your new skill because your old skills literally stop working. There is the same amount of depth here as cookie clicker.

Someone please tell me I am full of poo poo and there is something I missed or am missing out on. Like maybe later there is this super fun dungeon to do or that the mobs get more elaborate and challenging. There could be some part of the game that the poo poo opens up and gives me fun things to do. Something like that. Tell me this game has that. It looks too pretty to be some literal grind shitbox.

I am shelving this beta. No point putting so much effort to find the fun and then get wiped. Call me when the game comes out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thenk you for your service but I didn't order a word salad

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No, this game IS pretty bad and people should be aware of that. But people that played old korean grind fests will still find an enjoyable experience just shutting their brains off and blowing up monsters extremely easily while in a group or solo. Then participate in whatever completely broken group pvp exists while drunk and in discord.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Drinkfist posted:

I am shelving this beta. No point putting so much effort to find the fun and then get wiped. Call me when the game comes out.

This is what I did. Played it, enjoyed a few hours of it, and shelved it. I'm not a fan of soaking more than a few hours into a beta unless it saves my characters for release.

You're not the first person to point out how dull the leveling is either. That's a shame.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How does sadhu spirit form actually work? I was thinking of going paladin for more defensive support on my melee cleric going into monk eventually but if sadhu gives a big damage boost I'd rather go there.

e-Can you just autoattack? Does self casted buffs like blessing and sacrament affect your autoattack?

Welp sadhu seem to scale from int so thats a no go.

I consider Sadhu to be an all or nothing class, once you go Sadhu you want to be in your OOB form as much as possible which clashes with a lot of other builds. The spirit form is a 3 string auto attack that is pure MATK not affected by any buffs aside from running over fields like Cure, Zalcai, Deprotected Zone (Even the enemies!) which gives about a x2~ damage bonus.

So you really wan't to be using a Rod, and the fact that there is this hammer http://www.tosbase.com/database/items/203102/ for Sadhu's is kind of a trap item in my opinion. First of all you gain nothing from the phys attack, unless you're auto attacking out of OOB form. Also, I never go below 80% SP on my Sadhu so I have no SPR pumped for the bonus.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ambivalent so far. I like the visual aesthetic and the character animations, as well as nostalgic hat collection.

My main issue with the game is that everything is on rails. Unlike Ragnarok Online, you can't just wander around to every city and get haplessly murdered by Orcs on giant-squarish maps while going there, progressing through each map actually requires you to run the gamut instead of being able to take shortcuts to get to where you want to go. There's also map spreads where the closest statue is two or three maps away so going back to town or taking care of something else can be a minor annoyance. It doesn't help that the first town is the only functional hub that you see for about a hundred levels and unlike Prontera, it isn't actually centrally located. On the other hand there's actual quests as you level up, unlike RO and also some sort of main quest about trees or something.

What I like about the game is the diverse class choices and combinations, but in reality that makes for somewhat frustrating planning and the realization that there's only one or two paths to not be considered building terribly. Poor life decisions such as Cryo C2 come to mind. I'm also not a fan of potential being reduced on items when they're traded and no way to give your alts drops you find without reducing their potential. Also, like Drinkfist said, boss fights are plodding and forgettable so far. Alchemy looks cool though.

tl;dr: Lots of things wrong with the game and the bad outweighs the good, but it could maybe be better if they stopped punishing players for doing normal MMO things. Will probably still try it on launch.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
This game is a very strange bird.

The main problem is that everything is terribly easy. There's no particularly exciting moments or any time you feel like you really accomplished something. At best you did what you always do, you just did it longer.

The balance seems bad with pretty simple formulas that don't allow for reasonable scaling. STR is a very good stat early and then it starts getting swamped by damage on weapons and added ability damage making dexterity way better later. I'm not 100% sure on the actual critical formula, but people seem to be saying it's crit rate - crit resistance x some class mod, roughly .4ish. Strength getting marginally worse with every point while dexterity remains flat is another reason to go dex.

It's somewhat amusing that everything is mostly terrible compared to going barbarian. High crit, high damage, high survivability, great AE, and most important most overkilling for best exp. It's kind of dumb when one class monopolizes the 255% exp bonus and does it to 6 mobs at the same time.

There's some pretty neat class mechanics, but nothing fun to use them on.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

The Quake posted:

That dagger is insane and seems to affect everything, because it works in my Sadhu's OOB form effectively granting me +450 damage (since I hit 3 times).

Good to know I'll try it out on my Pyromancer when i find another rod. Stupid marketplace is down on Zemyna again so I can't test it out.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Thenk you for your service but I didn't order a word salad

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

I think we summarize this for the people I play with on a regular basis as:

"poo poo game"

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Green Dam posted:

There's also map spreads where the closest statue is two or three maps away so going back to town or taking care of something else can be a minor annoyance.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but IIRC Warp Scrolls allow you to teleport to town to go do something and then teleport back to Previous Warp, right?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

aldantefax posted:

I think we summarize this for the people I play with on a regular basis as:

"poo poo game"

I find it hard to recommend this game to other people or to come up with good things about it but I still like to play it :c00l:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but IIRC Warp Scrolls allow you to teleport to town to go do something and then teleport back to Previous Warp, right?

Yeah, that's why it's a minor annoyance instead of a major inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

whalestory posted:

I find it hard to recommend this game to other people or to come up with good things about it but I still like to play it :c00l:

Goons are highly prone to Stockholm syndrome. I once played Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for a span of six months and never survived past the Lair. Had some deaths by falling down stairs. Still think it is a good game.

• Locked thread