Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm surprised by the lack of secondary market for Dimensions pieces. I really want the Hover Board, Chell, the Twelth Doctor, the Cyberman and the Midway arcade cabinet, but looking around on Bricklink and EBay and there doesn't really seem to be any put up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised by the lack of secondary market for Dimensions pieces. I really want the Hover Board, Chell, the Twelth Doctor, the Cyberman and the Midway arcade cabinet, but looking around on Bricklink and EBay and there doesn't really seem to be any put up.

Went to TRU yesterday and they had two complete aisles filled with dimensions stuff, and whatever their promotion is right now (free 30 dollar gift card w/ starter set + fun pack I think?). Didn't look like anything had been picked.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bushifox posted:

Went to TRU yesterday and they had two complete aisles filled with dimensions stuff, and whatever their promotion is right now (free 30 dollar gift card w/ starter set + fun pack I think?). Didn't look like anything had been picked.

I wonder if it's just not selling well then? It's priced really, insanely high for the physical stuff you get. And given the general production quality of Lego video games I can't imagine it's really priced well for the levels you get either.

Hopefully they lower the price of the next waves or it see's some massive discounts.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

rickiep00h posted:

Paying $350 for Rick Moranis's head to put in a Darth Vader helmet.

There's some merchandising Yoghurt didn't think of!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Built Poe's X-wing yesterday. First time I'd seen it not sold out so I had to get it. I like it a lot. Still can't get used to the black and orange though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ditto. Love the build but the black and orange looks to weird for me. I hope they release the new X-wing in Grey/blue eventually.

Of course they will.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Ditto. Love the build but the black and orange looks to weird for me. I hope they release the new X-wing in Grey/blue eventually.

Of course they will.

I'm certain I have the pieces (minus the canopy) to build it in red and gray.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Of course they will.

I wonder if they will / would mod it for a standard astromech, or if all the astromechs in VII onwards are just ball types like BB?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I haven't seen how the standard r2 units attach to the other X-wings. I've missed out on all the previous models. I did however replace Poe with Luke for the hell of it. Probably something about the orange flight suit felt fitting

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zodack posted:

I wonder if they will / would mod it for a standard astromech, or if all the astromechs in VII onwards are just ball types like BB?

I don't think they would need to as the grey/blue is new star wars and it looks different from the OT one anyways. Unless you are asking is the guy with the black one is the only one that uses the soccer ball droid, which I'm not sure about.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Unless you are asking is the guy with the black one is the only one that uses the soccer ball droid, which I'm not sure about.

Right - I meant more along the lines of if they would have to change the assembly to fit the old Astromech fig model, or if every pilot used a BB-8 style Astro now, as opposed to Poe Dameron only have that kind of astro.

Although looking at it, you only really need to remove a brick or two and you can fit an old Astromech fig in sideways, which I think is what they have been doing on starship models lately.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, half of those aren't out yet but I get what you're saying. On the other hand, it's not like these have huge reseller value -- out of a $30 Portal level set, the only thing really special is the Chell minifigure and portal gun, and maybe the three NFC bases. The rest are just parts you could get anywhere and so nobody's going to be selling their Chell for much less than the $30 it cost originally. Basically, you're kind of hosed unless they put these things in other sets down the line.

PriorMarcus posted:

I wonder if it's just not selling well then? It's priced really, insanely high for the physical stuff you get. And given the general production quality of Lego video games I can't imagine it's really priced well for the levels you get either.

Hopefully they lower the price of the next waves or it see's some massive discounts.

First week sales of Lego Dimensions outsold first-week Disney Infinity and Skylanders, but I don't think there's any info past that.

Are you guys expecting empty shelves? Lego probably looked at Disney Infinity and Skylanders, and one of the things that keeps them successful is that they don't produce scarcity for their toys -- it's a pay gate, but you can always find what you want (outside of the first gen of Skylanders, maybe?). Lego likely overproduced purposefully -- piss off people by producing scarcity on something that's practically necessary for your toys-to-life game and people will drop it, fast.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

shymog posted:

Well, half of those aren't out yet but I get what you're saying. On the other hand, it's not like these have huge reseller value -- out of a $30 Portal level set, the only thing really special is the Chell minifigure and portal gun, and maybe the three NFC bases. The rest are just parts you could get anywhere and so nobody's going to be selling their Chell for much less than the $30 it cost originally. Basically, you're kind of hosed unless they put these things in other sets down the line.

First week sales of Lego Dimensions outsold first-week Disney Infinity and Skylanders, but I don't think there's any info past that.

Are you guys expecting empty shelves? Lego probably looked at Disney Infinity and Skylanders, and one of the things that keeps them successful is that they don't produce scarcity for their toys -- it's a pay gate, but you can always find what you want (outside of the first gen of Skylanders, maybe?). Lego likely overproduced purposefully -- piss off people by producing scarcity on something that's practically necessary for your toys-to-life game and people will drop it, fast.

I also highly doubt it's as costly or time consuming to create the Dimensions sets compared to say Infinity figures or Amiibo.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman are in the mail from Bricklink. Complete with my Gandalf that'll finish up the White Council! I could order Radagast but I despise his portrayl in the movies

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Is it cool to use this thread to offer up minifigs for trade? I suspect there are matches waiting to be made in the efforts to complete our collections.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Van Dis posted:

Is it cool to use this thread to offer up minifigs for trade? I suspect there are matches waiting to be made in the efforts to complete our collections.

It's been done in the past.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

DisposableHero posted:

I also highly doubt it's as costly or time consuming to create the Dimensions sets compared to say Infinity figures or Amiibo.

Definitely not, most of the minifigures exist elsewhere, apparently silk-screening is fairly cheap for Lego (but we still get stickers for some reason?), and there's only a few unique pieces across all the sets as far as I can see.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

shymog posted:

Definitely not, most of the minifigures exist elsewhere, apparently silk-screening is fairly cheap for Lego (but we still get stickers for some reason?), and there's only a few unique pieces across all the sets as far as I can see.

I have to assume that printing is cheaper per piece than stickers, but the lines are limited. Maybe they can only print, say, 500 different pieces a month, but they have 2500 pieces a month that need printing, so they use stickers for the rest.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
And also kids love stickers (says Lego's own research)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Logistically, printing directly onto a brick for a specific model locks the entire stock of that printed brick into that model(s). Stickers allow more versatility in stock and probably less wastage.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
350 is a lot of money but Ghostbusters toys were such a huge part of my childhood that this is like a dream come true as an adult with disposable income who used to own the Kenner firehouse.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
If there's anyone near a Meijer, the dimensions starter kit will be on sale for 69.99 on Black Friday.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
http://www.swissgb.ch/my-statement-on-the-release-of-the-lego-ghostbusters-firehouse-headquarters/

I feel sorry for the guy, but I don't see how telling him early would've particularly helped

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dogen posted:

http://www.swissgb.ch/my-statement-on-the-release-of-the-lego-ghostbusters-firehouse-headquarters/

I feel sorry for the guy, but I don't see how telling him early would've particularly helped

I'm not sure why anyone would expect the two to NOT be similar, since they're based on a real life building and movie set. I mean, Lego apologized for not telling him earlier AND they're giving him a free $350 set, but he's still taking his ball and going home.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe they told him that it was developed independently. It's almost the same build. Sounds like lego just decided to hose the guy for some reason. That really sucks imo.

My bet is that they didn't want to have to pay him a % of a set that expensive.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How many possible way could you build it? And they're really not -that- close.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

How I feel about this whole thing will likely depend on the interior. Has that been revealed yet?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Given the staggering amount of possible connections between just 6 Lego blocks, I'm gonna assume there are millions of ways to build the firehouse. It seems incredibly shady to me. I'm sure Lego really did work with the studio for accuracy and everything, but it's totally plausible that the reverse engineered some of his ideas and put them into the produced firehouse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude has nothing worth crying about, the firehouse was going to be the same no matter who built it. All the details between the MOC and Lego version are different, the only thing similar between the two is the basic structure.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

anotherblownsave posted:

Given the staggering amount of possible connections between just 6 Lego blocks, I'm gonna assume there are millions of ways to build the firehouse. It seems incredibly shady to me. I'm sure Lego really did work with the studio for accuracy and everything, but it's totally plausible that the reverse engineered some of his ideas and put them into the produced firehouse.

Why would they need to? Lego employs plenty of people who are pretty good at making things that looks like thing in movies out of Lego. I can't see how reverse engineering what someone who else has done would benefit them in anyway. Financially or otherwise. "Plausibility" is setting the bar for shadiness pretty low.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't know how any of you guys could look at that and call it coincidence. Yeah, they would look similar no matter what, but like anotherblownsave said, there's about a million ways to build things out of Lego and the chances that they would end up with something built almost exactly the same way, same street light/placement (or even the decision to include the street light), same yellow bumpers in the front, exact same scale etc. seems practically impossible.

I mean, cmon. At best they used some of his ideas and integrated them into their own build and at worst, they just lifted his model and changed it enough to claim ignorance.

And really, all things considered he didn't react badly at all. Probably because he knows there isn't poo poo he can do about it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 6, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
To be fair, the street light & bumpers are prominent in the actual space:

I think the official one did a better job with the front window, but the featureless concrete walls and brick portions are just that - blank. Even the real curved pieces making up the underhang look like lego pieces in real life. I don't think it's really that impossible to be coincidental, but as others have said the interior is 75% of the design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I just meant that the decision to include the street light (it really doesn't need to be in the build even if it's really part of the location) is just another thing showing how similar they are. It just looks like way too many similarities to be a coincidence to me.

Agreed they did the windows better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're both based off a movie source, how far are they going to diverge? :\

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

And the point is? Did you want the big one to have almost zero detail or did you want an amazing amount of detail in a microbuild?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess lego should be selling a microscale ghostbusters firehouse and not in the modular scale so as not to offend any AFOLs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It makes sense that they started developing it once they got the license. It's hard to say whether or not their design was influenced by his but I'm sure by submitting through Ideas you give them license to steal from you anyhow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

I guess lego should be selling a microscale ghostbusters firehouse and not in the modular scale so as not to offend any AFOLs.

Saying an object will be the inherently the same because it's based off a source makes no sense. If you want to stick to minifig scale, look up literally anything from a movie that has been produced by Lego and you will find plenty of minifig scale MOCs that all look different and are built different.

I guess I'm just crazy for assuming that a set which is almost identical to another thing that someone made is fishy. After all there is only one way to build a 4500 pc Ghostbusters base. It's breaking my brain that you guys can look at those two sets and assume it was a coincidence. Especially considering the circumstances.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Saying an object will be the inherently the same because it's based off a source makes no sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense.