Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chris Knight posted:

Won't help if it doesn't start in the morning.

Hook them to some circuit that only switches on when your bike turns on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have any thoughts on/preference between a kriega US20 vs. US30?

z3n, someone mentioned you have both? Any thoughts on the differences/what they're each useful for?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've got a 10 and a 20. I use the 20 when I need to carry clothes or smaller groceries. You can stuff the poo poo out of it - I managed to get like 4 days of clothes and some gifts and a pair of shoes in the 10+20 combined. I really like mine.

The only thing that irritates me is that they're not very stable on a sportbike passenger seat (like a small one that's inclined) no matter how tight you strap them down. It always slides forward.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I've got a 20 and a 30. The 20 is a little on the small side for multi day trips to me.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We have a 20 and a 30. The 20 fits best on my pillion seat (Ninja 300), and has a lot of room. The 30 fits better on my husband's bike's pillion (a G650).

So, either should be fine for you. They really can be stuffed to the gills. I've gotten $50 of groceries in the 30 in the past. When we camp, I put the 20 on top of the 30 and they carry a week's worth of clothes, my hammock, and other basic stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

builds character posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on/preference between a kriega US20 vs. US30?

z3n, someone mentioned you have both? Any thoughts on the differences/what they're each useful for?

I've got the R35 and the R30 - I haven't used the R35 since I got the R30, because waterproof is reasonably important to me. Plus the R35 is honestly bigger than I needed, despite being more comfortable thanks to the additional support from the wider front zip up section.

I got a givi 47 liter tailbag though - waterproof and vastly superior to wearing a backpack, no problems while lane splitting, lockable, etc. I recommend a hard tail case over a backpack if you're doing any commuting, then you can just toss your backpack in the tailbag and off you go, when you get there the helmet can go in the tailbag. If you're just doing jacket, you can fit most jackets and a helmet in a 47 liter setup.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Thanks very much for the input everyone.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was in philly this weekend and stopped by revzilla. Tried on all the helmets they had... and it still appears that the only helmets to fit my idiot head are shoei rf1200 or x12 with the fattest cheekpads available. Apparently my head has the proportions of a grey. Kinda sucks, if they ever stop making those models I'll be SOL. The new airframe pro is pretty ballin with that pharaoh paintjob though!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I believe I will be replacing my Alliance Dark with an Airframe Pro in the spring.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Spring is going to be an exciting time for helmets. Corsair X, X14, and new Bell helmets. The jury is still out on the increased safety of the new Bells but I have to give them props for trying to innovate whereas every other manufacturer is doing nothing but making sidegrades. Plus they are light as gently caress.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

-Inu- posted:

Spring is going to be an exciting time for helmets. Corsair X, X14, and new Bell helmets. The jury is still out on the increased safety of the new Bells but I have to give them props for trying to innovate whereas every other manufacturer is doing nothing but making sidegrades. Plus they are light as gently caress.

I heard Bell is going to bring the Flex technology to street helmets, have you heard anything about that? The 6D helmets for dirt use are awesome and I would get one for sure if I rode offroad. I'd love to see more research/technology go into helmets.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

velocross posted:

I heard Bell is going to bring the Flex technology to street helmets, have you heard anything about that? The 6D helmets for dirt use are awesome and I would get one for sure if I rode offroad. I'd love to see more research/technology go into helmets.

http://www.6dhelmets.com/#!ats-1--street-helmet/c56u

Looks like they did. I'm sure it's not cheap but from looking at a single excel-made plot from some grad student in michigan they look safer.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We have the Bell 2016 catalog and the most high end version of the Star is like $1,400 or something.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Mobile posted:

We have the Bell 2016 catalog and the most high end version of the Star is like $1,400 or something.

Got these from the Lanesplitter article about the ones due out in February:

quote:

The Bell Pro Star

FLEX Impact Liner
TeXtreme Shell
Virus CoolJade Anti Bacterial Liner
Panovision Shield
Magnefusion Magnetic Cheek Pads
RaceView Orientation
MSRP: $1,199.95-$1,299.95

The Bell Race Star

FLEX Impact Liner
3K Carbon Shell
Virus CoolJade Anti Bacterial Liner
Panovision Shield
Magnefusion Magnetic Cheek Pads
RaceView Orientation
MSRP: $699.95-$749.95

Those are the 2 with the 6DS technology.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

velocross posted:

I'm pretty sure the NDA was lifted at AIMExpo so I can actually talk about this now. There are going to be 3 models of the Star in 2016: Star, Race Star, and Pro Star.

The Star is their "entry level" street helmet and will retail for ~$500 USD. It will use a standard EPS liner.

The Race Star will retail for ~$700. It uses a slightly modified version of the Flex liner found in their 6D dirt helmets. Also includes magnetic cheekpads and the FOV of the faceshield is designed for a tucked position (aka it's a trackday helmet).

The Pro Star will retail for ~$1300. It has the same features as the Race Star but the shell is a specialized carbon fiber composite.

I won't comment on exact weights as I don't believe they've been made public but these helmets are I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-Y light.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
$1,300, that was it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So If I'm 5' 11" with a 28" inseam and like a 30" waist (160 lb) am I just hosed as far as finding a one piece that fits correctly? I have a disproportionately long torso so I would image that on most suits the legs would be too long and the chest would be perfect, or the opposite.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yerok posted:

So If I'm 5' 11" with a 28" inseam and like a 30" waist (160 lb) am I just hosed as far as finding a one piece that fits correctly? I have a disproportionately long torso so I would image that on most suits the legs would be too long and the chest would be perfect, or the opposite.
Have you tried on any suits in person? Shouldn't be that hard to find something that fits you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

Aerostich also makes custom suits.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Yerok posted:

Yes. Go custom. I'd recommend Helimot, but they just stopped doing custom suits. Vanson, or whatever local customization shop is available in your area - in person with the suit fitter is where you get the value, because they can see how your body is shaped, and alter the pattern accordingly.

Also high 5 long torso short leg buddy.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Every jacket is too short and every pair of riding pants is too long unless they're leather daddy tight.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've had good luck with Rev'It's pants -- they're short enough for me, with ~30" inseam. Also, high-five to my long-torsoed/short-legged buddies.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Does anyone know of any waterproof socks or waterproof inner boot liners to compete with this?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

Does anyone know of any waterproof socks or waterproof inner boot liners to compete with this?

I've never used a bootliner. I just have waterproof boots with a built-in Goretex layer. I prefer that, since they shed water, but I guess if you're wearing some boots you love that aren't waterproof this would be a good option.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Lynza posted:

I've never used a bootliner. I just have waterproof boots with a built-in Goretex layer. I prefer that, since they shed water, but I guess if you're wearing some boots you love that aren't waterproof this would be a good option.

Any recommendations of mid-grade waterproof boots, then? Somewhere between leaky Cyclegear Bilt and actually sheds water.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Fuckin' Bilt boots, man. Spent a ton on a pair for my husband and the goddamn things leak.

I'm wearing TCX ones. They're more "adventure" style (so they go up the shin, which I like). I think they're the GTX Infinity ones, so probably kinda spendy, but I live in Oregon and it rains about 9 months out of the year, so I decided to have dry feet.

I like TCX boots, and I have a reasonably narrowish foot. I think they do wide sizes, too. Looks like Icon's got some pretty good ones as well, but I haven't owned any Icon gear so I can't give any recommendations there.

I think the key is to look for stuff with Goretex. They seem to be a bit more expensive but generally better made, too, and some of the Icon Goretex ones are sub-$200, which is pretty reasonable.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Verge posted:

Any recommendations of mid-grade waterproof boots, then? Somewhere between leaky Cyclegear Bilt and actually sheds water.
This is a little bit above mid-grade, but if you can swing it, the Dainese TRQ-Tours are by far, no question, the most protective waterproof boots you can buy. There is no other waterproof boot that I know of that provides the lateral protection of the TRQ-Tours. Even the waterproof SMX-Pluses, which are $120 more, do not offer as much protection. Without lateral bracing your ankle is just going to snap if it hits the wrong way. Even boots that look protective, such as the aforementioned SMX-Pluses or Sidi Vertigos/Cobras, can be folded right in half with your hands.

In order to get proper lateral protection you need one of three things. 1) A hinge that connects the top of the boot to the botton and it has to connect to an area that doesn't flex (e.g. the shin - the problem with SMX+'s is that they connect to the calf). 2) An internal bootie ala Supertech R, Axial Pro Ins, Daytona Security, etc. or 3) Some kind of other internal bracing (e.g. Sidi Mag-1s which use internal carbon fiber bracing).

If you can swing the price and don't have a narrow foot (they do fit a bit narrow), they are worth every single penny. After showing people the bracing of the TRQ Tours they 100% of the time never buy the other boots they were looking at, unless it doesn't fit their foot.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

If you're OK with a boot that's a little more dual sport or off-road oriented, I would call Brian at atomic moto. Super nice and incredibly helpful. http://www.atomic-moto.com/motorcycle_boots.html

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone's interested, Lanesplitter has a deeper article explaining the new technologies that Bell & 6D will be debuting soon vis-a-vis new helmets.

Does a decent job of explaining current testing standards along with what Bell/6D are currently doing. Also goes on to say that part of what they're trying to reduce (brain injuries) are, in & of themself, pretty difficult to test in controlled environments.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Just realised I got a new helmet that's one size too big and a pair of gloves that are one size too big. I've worn them both out once and it's now Ebay or nothing. FML.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Depending on the shell size, you could just get bigger pads for the helmet.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If anyone's interested, Lanesplitter has a deeper article explaining the new technologies that Bell & 6D will be debuting soon vis-a-vis new helmets.

Does a decent job of explaining current testing standards along with what Bell/6D are currently doing. Also goes on to say that part of what they're trying to reduce (brain injuries) are, in & of themself, pretty difficult to test in controlled environments.

That 6D stuff looks really cool. Hope it become the new standard very soon.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

Depending on the shell size, you could just get bigger pads for the helmet.

I was thinking that, given that I want to go from XL to L I think the shell shouldn't be different. Isn't the foam a different size though? Or is it just the cheekpads/head bit?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Some manufacturers use the same cheekpads for every shell size, like Shoei. Can't tell you more without knowing what helmet it is, but it'll say on its product page.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

Some manufacturers use the same cheekpads for every shell size, like Shoei. Can't tell you more without knowing what helmet it is, but it'll say on its product page.

AGV k3 SV. Apparently there are 4 EPS shell sizes, so I'm guessing the two largest sizes are one of those. That means no go :/ Not a bad idea though.

There seems to be no information on which sizes have what shell though, which is really annoying. Revzilla sells the liners and cheekpads in different sizes though.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 6, 2015

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'm pretty sure cheekpads aren't interchangeable with the K3 SV due to the fact that they are integrated with the neckroll. I can check tomorrow though. The K3 does only have 2 shell sizes, i.e. the literal outer shell of the helmet, which is where the cheekpads will snap in. Not to be confused with the EPS size.

Regardless, I wouldn't try to fix an ill-fitting helmet with cheekpads. It's certainly possible that the helmet fits but the cheekpads are simply too small. However, most times if the cheekpads are too small then the helmet itself is too big. It has to fit snug on the crown of the head, which you can't fix with cheekpads. You can swap the center pad on some helmets, but if the EPS size is wrong, you still aren't fixing the core issue.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 6, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

-Inu- posted:

I'm pretty sure cheekpads aren't interchangeable with the K3 SV due to the fact that they are integrated with the neckroll. I can check tomorrow though. The K3 does only have 2 shell sizes, i.e. the literal outer shell of the helmet, which is where the cheekpads will snap in. Not to be confused with the EPS size.

Regardless, I wouldn't try to fix an ill-fitting helmet with cheekpads. It's certainly possible that the helmet fits but the cheekpads are simply too small. However, most times if the cheekpads are too small then the helmet itself is too big. It has to fit snug on the crown of the head, which you can't fix with cheekpads. You can swap the center pad on some helmets, but if the EPS size is wrong, you still aren't fixing the core issue.

Yeah it was a long shot anyway. Bollocks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Barnsy posted:

Yeah it was a long shot anyway. Bollocks.

Why don't you just call whoever you bought from and talk to them about it?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I had to get a size smaller cheeckpads for my variant because Mediterranean face, but my fox v3 fits perfect.

Some people are just built on a saturday and they have to mix and match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Thanks guys for boot info; looks like I can't go cheap with boots then. I live in Eugene, Oregon and commute all year. At least thanks to you guys I won't waste $200 trying to be cheap. :D

Breaking my foot is one of my greater crash fears and I'm a bit squiddly.