Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrakkorzog posted:

I haven't seen any mention of having him show up. Considering the shows treatment of C listers like Anarky, I'm OK with not having Tommy Monaghan show up, since the show would most likely reduce him to being a bad guy because he is a hired killer, and not give any nuance to his character.

7 or 8 years ago Ennis said DC had approached him about doing a Hitman animated web series but he wasn't really interested at the time because of how poorly progress on the Preacher film was going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tommy can show up in a quick cameo offering his merc services to Team Arrow, knowing full well they won't want an amoral hired assassin on the squad, he's just there to peep Black Canary with his x-ray vision.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

Tommy can show up in a quick cameo offering his merc services to Team Arrow, knowing full well they won't want an amoral hired assassin on the squad, he's just there to peep Black Canary with his x-ray vision.

Actually I think Ennis has a similar deal with DC to what Gaiman does with Sandman. I think they'd have to sort out his permission to use Tommy. Is Ennis on good terms with DC these days? I know after the Boys debacle he used the term "rat fuckers" to describe a few members of editorial.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm really not sure about the permission/rights situation, I was just riffing on his cameo in Morrison's JLA run where the same thing happened during their open membership call but with Wonder Woman.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I always felt like Constantine as a hero/superhero was always less interesting compared to Constantine as a brilliant con-man with deep occult knowledge and a Machiavellian streak. He doesn't give a poo poo about who he has to ruin or whatever nightmarish price must be paid in order to accomplish his goal. Manipulation, deception, and general misanthropy are all fair game to him.

His appearance on Arrow was fun (like when he just hits on all the pretty ladies at once cause he just doesn't give a gently caress) but still doesn't quite capture what I believe is the most unique essence of the character.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

hi liter posted:

I always felt like Constantine as a hero/superhero was always less interesting compared to Constantine as a brilliant con-man with deep occult knowledge and a Machiavellian streak. He doesn't give a poo poo about who he has to ruin or whatever nightmarish price must be paid in order to accomplish his goal. Manipulation, deception, and general misanthropy are all fair game to him.

His appearance on Arrow was fun (like when he just hits on all the pretty ladies at once cause he just doesn't give a gently caress) but still doesn't quite capture what I believe is the most unique essence of the character.

Did his show? Because that sounds like an awesome concept and I may have to read Hellblazer now.

I don't even remember if the movie pulled that off at all, but I doubt it did if it's that unmemorable for me.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

Did his show? Because that sounds like an awesome concept and I may have to read Hellblazer now.

I don't even remember if the movie pulled that off at all, but I doubt it did if it's that unmemorable for me.

Not in the first two episodes (I sort of stopped after that). And I haven't read a ton of Hellblazer, just the aforementioned arc where he cons the three princes of Hell and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing where he was introduced.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ville Valo posted:

Of course he is; Swamp Thing is/can be everywhere plants are!

He'll be there being trained by Constantine

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McDragon posted:

Darhk has really grown on me, even if I can never remember how to spell his silly name.

More H's. Dhamhien H Dharhkh.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

McSpanky posted:

This episode was primarily about dealing with the resurrected Sara but I don't consider it a case of the show "spinning its wheels". Whether she's headed to a spinoff or not is irrelevant, this was a natural and reasonable direction for the characters to go and the consequences of these events is continuing to evolve them and their relationships, certainly a hell of a lot more than large stretches of season 3 did.

If they hadn't cast her in the spin-off I highly doubt they would have ressurected her.
Like I said, this was pulled off better the the Flash one as it has greater tie ins to the characters, but it was still a filler episode that will have no long term bearing on the season as a wholr
The fact that Sara doesn't interact with any of the characters post resouling is telling. In fact apart from the gibberish, she had no lines of dialogue at all.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

McDragon posted:

Also this episode informed me that I need to go dig up that Constantine series because he was great.
I have to track down Paul Blackthorne's The Dresen Files series now.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I can confirm that Constantine 2005 is a pretty dope movie

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Sooooo yeah that was pretty piss-poorly edited, felt super rushed, had awful fight "choreography" and Laurel is a complete garbage actor...

Yep felt like an Arrow episode.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Duke Chin posted:

Sooooo yeah that was pretty piss-poorly edited, felt super rushed, had awful fight "choreography" and Laurel is a complete garbage actor...

nah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

If they hadn't cast her in the spin-off I highly doubt they would have ressurected her.
Like I said, this was pulled off better the the Flash one as it has greater tie ins to the characters, but it was still a filler episode that will have no long term bearing on the season as a wholr
The fact that Sara doesn't interact with any of the characters post resouling is telling. In fact apart from the gibberish, she had no lines of dialogue at all.

That's the correct way to use Caity Lotz.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
It does feel like Arrow does better when its self contained. Constatine just showing up and poofing back to his home planet within the span of one episode really felt inorganic. Likewise with Ray's/Mr.Terrific's plotline.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I do feel like the Constantine thing could have used an extra episode or two - it made rescuing somebody's soul seem rather casual, but I liked the episode overall.

It mainly makes me wish that Constantine wasn't canceled though. :smith:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

imperialparadox posted:

I do feel like the Constantine thing could have used an extra episode or two - it made rescuing somebody's soul seem rather casual, but I liked the episode overall.

It mainly makes me wish that Constantine wasn't canceled though. :smith:

Yeah, first episode could have ended with them placing Sara in the magic circle and then the second episode could have been a series of dream sequences where every character faces their greatest fear or whatever, and at the end Sara is resurrected.

Still, I'm not complaining. The season has been off to a really good start. I'm just hoping it doesn't follow Season 3's example because that one went to poo poo during the second half.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was kind of hoping they'd have to fight a named demon to get her soul back and was pretty disappointed it was generic ninjas.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I really, really liked this episode - Matt Ryan was a treat as Constantine!

Is the Constantine series available to stream anywhere online? I never watched while it was on air, but because of this week's episode I'd love to see more of Matt Ryan as Constantine. I saw online that the series was up on Hulu earlier this year, but when I search for it now it seems to have been taken down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is the Constantine series available to stream anywhere online? I never watched while it was on air, but because of this week's episode I'd love to see more of Matt Ryan as Constantine. I saw online that the series was up on Hulu earlier this year, but when I search for it now it seems to have been taken down.

Since it's NBC, I think Hulu is it right now. Maybe Comcast OnDemand, as Comcast owns NBC?

EDIT: Looks like Hulu is it. No longer on iTunes and Amazon Video, and I can only find the movie on Comcast OnDemand.

EDIT2: Nope. Not on Hulu either. Apparently, you can't find it legally anywhere right now (at least in US).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 6, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rhyno posted:

Actually I think Ennis has a similar deal with DC to what Gaiman does with Sandman. I think they'd have to sort out his permission to use Tommy. Is Ennis on good terms with DC these days? I know after the Boys debacle he used the term "rat fuckers" to describe a few members of editorial.

He`s currently writing the Section 8 book for DC so I`d say he`s on decent terms with them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'd be okay with Constantine dropping by once or twice a season on Arrow and Flash, helping them out with magical poo poo, dropping hints about how the plots that began in his show turned out. "Yeah, mate, happy to help, but can we make it quick? Only I'm at war with Heaven right now, you know how it is."

Also, I wanna see a cameo with Mark Valley as Christopher Chance.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

flosofl posted:

Since it's NBC, I think Hulu is it right now. Maybe Comcast OnDemand, as Comcast owns NBC?

EDIT: Looks like Hulu is it. No longer on iTunes and Amazon Video, and I can only find the movie on Comcast OnDemand.

EDIT2: Nope. Not on Hulu either. Apparently, you can't find it legally anywhere right now (at least in US).

Plus there's apparently no plans to even release a box set. At this point we're lucky they hadn't thrown in the wardrobe and props when they burnt the show down and salted the ashes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

losonti tokash posted:

Plus there's apparently no plans to even release a box set. At this point we're lucky they hadn't thrown in the wardrobe and props when they burnt the show down and salted the ashes.

Just how hard do you think it is to find the style of coat John wears?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Just how hard do you think it is to find the style of coat John wears?

Go next door to the Supernatural office and ransack Misha Collins wardrobe.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

spookygonk posted:

I have to track down Paul Blackthorne's The Dresen Files series now.

The show had some good points (Bob, hockey stick staff, drumstick wand) but some of the episodes were pretty iffy.

The books though are pretty good. The first two are kind of rocky (literally Butcher's first attempts at writing) but the quality just keeps climbing after that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Go next door to the Supernatural office and ransack Misha Collins wardrobe.

Yeah, that's where I was going with that. Hell in my goofy post teenaged years I owned one.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Obviously it wouldn't be a huge ordeal to find a cheap brown coat (I still have one in my closet from Halloween years ago) but I guess it's nice to use the same one from the original show. The cast certainly seemed to appreciate having the same items rather than replacements.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

WarLocke posted:

The show had some good points (Bob, hockey stick staff, drumstick wand) but some of the episodes were pretty iffy.

The books though are pretty good. The first two are kind of rocky (literally Butcher's first attempts at writing) but the quality just keeps climbing after that.

Its really hard not to recommend the Dresden Files. Its starts off playing with cliche noir detective tropes. By book three it starts getting intense and just keeps improving.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

M_Gargantua posted:

Its really hard not to recommend the Dresden Files. Its starts off playing with cliche noir detective tropes. By book three it starts getting intense and just keeps improving.

I've seen people complain about 'power creep' (since the series starts as 'detective noir, but with magic' but by Skin Games we're starting to approach 'epic fantasy' stuff) and I can see where people are coming from with that, but every single step of the way has been earned by Harry.

I wish I had zombiedinosaur.jpg handy. Because polka never dies! :downsgun:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd have to fight a named demon to get her soul back and was pretty disappointed it was generic ninjas.

I might be reading too much into this but the boss ninja Constantine fought was a man of large stature who always had one hand behind his back and wore a familiar embroidered coat...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

McSpanky posted:

I might be reading too much into this but the boss ninja Constantine fought was a man of large stature who always had one hand behind his back and wore a familiar embroidered coat...

For the layman?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like the Flash/Arrow cross over episodes are going to be the eighth episodes, just like last season. Gustin posted on his instagram they just wrapped on them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burning_Monk posted:

For the layman?

I thought it was pretty obviously Ra's.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

You can't even buy it on Google Play or Amazon. It's :filez: or nothing.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can't even buy it on Google Play or Amazon. It's :filez: or nothing.

It's on Amazon Prime in the UK

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw one of the Canadian streaming services (Shomi or CraveTV) mention having it during an Arrow commercial too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr Beens posted:

It's on Amazon Prime in the UK

Are you sure? It's still listed in Amazon Prime US, but when you select each episode it's just says "unavailable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In Australia you can see Constantine on Stan (one of our local Netflix competitors). You could always sign up to that with a VPN or something. We've been doing it to US Netflix for long enough you might as well return the favour.

• Locked thread