  • Post
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

ive been making stuff using influxdb recently (written in gods own language, Go) and its so great. metrics, logs, nagios events.. just pipe poo poo into it and throw a crappy javascript visualization over it and people will think you're a genius. check it out !

https://github.com/influxdb/influxdb

They've rewritten the storage backend what 4 / 5 times now ? :rip: your metrics.

my stepdads beer posted:

i looked at this a while back for exactly the same thing and opentsdb looked way more mature. also it's on top of hbase
http://opentsdb.net/docs/build/html/index.html

i got sidetracked and never made a cool thing though.

Graphite + Grafana is powerful apart from the hilariously bad whisper file format which gets io bound once you have millions of dp/m

Prometheus has a pull model and is new and interesting https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus.github.io

pram posted:

yeah its also like 100x more complicated since you need hbase and zookeeper and *all my favorite java friends come in for a huge party*

Click create EMR cluster, point opentsdb at it.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i've set up graphite a few times and i hate it a lot and don't get the hype

prometheus looks cool thanks, last time i checked it out it was super new and didn't really do much

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i looked at prometheus but it only seems to intentionally store, uhh, parts of the data .. and not every entry

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so its kind of worthless for logging

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

i looked at prometheus but it only seems to intentionally store, uhh, parts of the data .. and not every entry

What do you mean ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

so its kind of worthless for logging

Why would you log to a time series database ?

Metrics aren't logs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
http://prometheus.io/docs/introduction/comparison/

quote:

Still, InfluxDB is better geared towards the following use cases:

storing all individual events, not just time series of values
e.g. storing every HTTP request with full metadata vs. storing the cumulative count of HTTP requests for certain dimensions

gee why would i log to a tsdb. are you being intentionally retarded (yes)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

http://prometheus.io/docs/introduction/comparison/

gee why would i log to a tsdb. are you being intentionally retarded (yes)

No , you send metrics to a time series database not events.

If you're trying to store events in a time series database you are doing it wrong.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh yeah? why do people use it as an output for stuff like fluentd. please stfu

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

oh yeah? why do people use it as an output for stuff like fluentd. please stfu

Fluentd can generate metrics from log events, which you store in your time series database.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

jre posted:

Fluentd can generate metrics from log events, which you store in your time series database.

:nallears:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

84.72.21.12 - - [04/Jul/2009:08:40:29 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18"
84.72.21.12 - - [04/Jul/2009:08:40:29 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18"
84.72.21.12 - - [04/Jul/2009:08:40:29 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18"
84.72.21.12 - - [04/Jul/2009:08:40:29 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18"
84.72.21.12 - - [04/Jul/2009:08:40:29 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.1 Safari/530.18"

Those are events

server.foo.bar.status.500 1446334342 5

That's a metric

pram
Jun 10, 2001

stop loving posting you pedantic idiot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
influxdb does not resemble other tsdb products i have used

jre is right, it is completely normal to aggregate the data and only keep samples, running averages etc in the tsdb

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ah yes but, as alluded to in my post, i am talking about influxdb

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

carry on then posted:

do you not get the concept of a joke or something?

Joke?

:shrug:
:confused:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1510.3/02866.html

quote:

Yes, yes, if this had stayed inside the network layer I would never
have noticed. But since I *did* notice, I really don't want to pull
this. In fact, I want to make it clear to *everybody* that code like
this is completely unacceptable. Anybody who thinks that code like
this is "safe" and "secure" because it uses fancy overflow detection
functions is so far out to lunch that it's not even funny. All this
kind of crap does is to make the code a unreadable mess with code that
no sane person will ever really understand what it actually does.

Get rid of it. And I don't *ever* want to see that poo poo again.

Linus

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
did someone reply and correct him that it's "sh*t" not "poo poo"?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
more accurate honestly is being angry from using computers for 20+ years

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Linus is the best reason to not use Linux

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

tbf most of his angry rants come at the end of long mailing list threads full of stupid poo poo where people deserve to be yelled at

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

The_Franz posted:

tbf most of his angry rants come at the end of long mailing list threads full of stupid poo poo where people deserve to be yelled at

yeah that one rant about c++ feels very different when you actually read the e-mails from the rear end in a top hat that caused linus' ire

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rspamd is cool

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

linus owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah that dawg does

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

$ yum search python3
No matches found

centos is killing me

an update to this: there's python 3.4 on epel and it's all retarded and broken I'm fuming with rage right now gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I can't believe I'll have to compile python from source for this goddamn ansible playbook, how can these people gently caress this up jesus

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how is that possible lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
how is it broken besides not coming with pip?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Perplx posted:

how is it broken besides not coming with pip?

idk this seems to be the thing that is messing up when you try to use modules

python 3.4 embedded pip into python

epel maintainers for some reason removed that because they know better? but then they actually don't?!? I'm just mad here

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
debian did the same thing

if you apt-get install python3-venv and run 'python3 -m venv whatever/venv/directory' it blows up with something like 'installing pip failed', you have to run it with (afaik) 'python3 -m venv --without-pip path/to/new/venv'

and then install pip manually inside the venv because no way the system package manager could make this easy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Symbolic Butt posted:

an update to this: there's python 3.4 on epel and it's all retarded and broken I'm fuming with rage right now gently caress

Oracle Linux 6.7 you can get by with 3.3:

code:
$ sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/public-yum-ol6.repo http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo
$ sudo yum install scl-utils
$ sudo yum install python33
$ scl enable python33 -- bash
$ python --version
Python 3.3.2
Without changing to Oracle RPMs one could try the RHEL/CentOS instructions for SCL

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
at least python is easy to compile from source i guess? like it doesn't have dozens of complicated dependencies or anything

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Why does the bug reporter or whatever require you're sudo password and also why does the bug reporter take so long to work

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

MrMoo posted:

$ sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/public-yum-ol6.repo [url]http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo[/url]
$ sudo yum install scl-utils
$ sudo yum install python33
$ scl enable python33 -- bash
$ python --version
Python 3.3.2
Without changing to Oracle RPMs one could try the RHEL/CentOS instructions for SCL

there is also iuscommunity thats maintained by rackspace, they actually have 3.5

https://iuscommunity.org/pages/Repos.html

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i installed linux on a desktop. the fonts were all hosed up. maybe next year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

an update to this: there's python 3.4 on epel and it's all retarded and broken I'm fuming with rage right now gently caress

the redhat-supported way to do this is with software collections. python 3.3 is available fully supported from rh or cent.

there's a community-provided 3.4, but, uh, community-provided. might as well be using epel or some such garbage.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

Why does the bug reporter or whatever require you're sudo password and also why does the bug reporter take so long to work

because the bug report can potentially access sensitive information, i would assume. it might also just depend on what application crashed. maybe. idk, just spitballing here.

and yah other dude, you need scl.

or just install docker on your centos and then get a docker with python3 and use that.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
apparently anaconda is the way to roll for non garbage python installs?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
removing pip should be grounds for losing your ability to upload packages though

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4