Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got 9% chance to heal on kill on an Orange hammer for the dwarf and it's amazing. I don't even remember what the other traits are because next to that they don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Metos posted:

I rolled a green Handgun for the soldier to finally have a non-white one at the exact time I also levelled up and got the scripted green handgun. Neither had -reload speed.

Wait, level ups don't always give whites? When do you start getting greens?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Level 33

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, level ups don't always give whites? When do you start getting greens?

At lvl 33 iirc.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Anyone know if you start to get blues at any point? I'm in my 60s still green.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Some guy I played with said his buddy is level 140+ and still getting greens.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Trudis posted:

Some guy I played with said his buddy is level 140+ and still getting greens.

Well I think that's fair honestly. If you started getting blues all the time would be really easy to start forging oranges.

Its probably a long way off but I'm already theorizing about expansions. I'd imagine if they do the dwarf hold it means new bombs, new weapons, trinkets, foes, heroes, and I'm hoping new bonuses. Dwarven runes to enhance weapons with or what not would be neat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Got my first orange Rapier by combining 5 blue ones!

Please rate it:

5.5% chance on kill to get 10% health back.
4% chance on normal hit to get 30% attack speed for 5 seconds.
25% chance on push to not cost any stamina.

Personally I think it's quite shite.
I've got a blue with 9.5% heal on kill and 2% chance to increase attack speed on hit. Its pretty goddamn amazing, so 2/3 good slots and a decent attack speed buff isn't bad. Plus the damage increase. The pistol shot from this doesn't even one-shot clanrats on Hard. Not the best orange, but its going to be a good weapon for a while.

I'm still trying to decide whether my green +30% ammo brace of pistols is better than a blue WH repeater pistol with knockback and pierce. It seems to go either way, honestly.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't believe fireball staves exist. I don't know what the fireball staff looks like on the loot table. Not the one with obvious fire on the ground (conflagration), not the one with just like an arrow pointing to the right from the top (bolt cage?) not the staff of asclepius with the squiggle up and down it (beam staff) That's all the staff icons I see. The one white one I threw out a week ago must have been a delusion.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
that poo poo's why i just started cheating.

only took 15 runs of horn of magus to get a 2h hammer to show up for my dorf

and then 6 more to get another to show up and actually make the roll for it!

someday maybe i'll get a white sword/dagger for my elf.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kitfox88 posted:

I should say something about not being proud of cheating blah blah:

But I know after a few weeks of Borderlands 2 I fired up my save game editor so I could experience end game content with out the grind. People I played with got really lovely cause I was "cheeping their experience of the game" and it's like poo poo dude they left save's client side; I could have just told you I "found my old save files." or something and you wouldn't have cared.

Still, for now at least I feel its a bit more dirty then using exploits to get loot.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Kitfox88 posted:

I never ever play the Elf, yet I have orange sword/sword, sword/dagger and dagger/dagger for her. Whenever I play mage, I usually see no loot for him above green.

I think the game is trying to tell me something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What are some good graphics settings for a 560 ti to keep the frame rate above 30 but hopefully not make everything look terrible at the same time? I'd like a bit better performance than I have with everything on medium but I don't know if it's realistic to get it any better without just putting everything on minimum and playing an N64 game.

Also I noticed there's a range stat on the guns. Is that just an accuracy thing telling you how far away you'll be able to realistically hit rats or does it actually lower the damage after a certain point.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Low? To be honest I think I'm running a 660 Ti and for the most part I run this game on the higher end of the spectrum, just minus shadows, AA and other superfluous nerdshit.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Dravs posted:

I never ever play the Elf, yet I have orange sword/sword, sword/dagger and dagger/dagger for her. Whenever I play mage, I usually see no loot for him above green.

I think the game is trying to tell me something.

Elf is pretty fun

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is there any conceivable reason you'd ever use a one handed axe sans shield with the dwarf? Like arn't you at the worst of both worlds? No high stamina/protectionist option with a weapon that doesn't hit as hard as a two hander?

Edit: I only ask because:

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 6, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Just played a game with pubbies and there was a level 60-something dwarf who only took a health penalty for one grimoire when we had two. He said it was a trinket (didn't give a name) but I've never heard of it before this; has anyone else seen it or know what it's called?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SkySteak posted:

Is there any conceivable reason you'd ever use a one handed axe sans shield with the dwarf? Like arn't you at the worst of both worlds? No high stamina/protectionist option with a weapon that doesn't hit as hard as a two hander?

Different attack patterns. 1h axe no shield is awesome and fast for single target but lacks cleave or defense.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Just played a game with pubbies and there was a level 60-something dwarf who only took a health penalty for one grimoire when we had two. He said it was a trinket (didn't give a name) but I've never heard of it before this; has anyone else seen it or know what it's called?

Lichbone trinket, 50% grimoire penalty. It's orange.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Novasol posted:

Odds are I'll never get one then but now I know it exists, thanks!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I just picked up this game and I'm wondering, what should I be turning off graphics settings wise if I'm getting big drops?

skaven ambushes have dropped it as low as 30ish fps, which is playable and junk but it hangs around 90fps when not much else is going on so that gives you an idea of what I mean by "big drops"

I've got an i5 3570k and a 970 for reference

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The number of light sources and the quality of shadows were the worst offenders for me. Try reducing those and fiddling with particle effects quality if you're still having trouble. This game is murder on the CPU for some reason.

There's a problem with the Witch Hunter's muzzle flares too. If you have that guy in front of you when he starts shooting, he'll destroy your fps. It's fine when playing as him though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Novasol posted:

gently caress you for having that, by the way.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Donnerberg posted:

The number of light sources and the quality of shadows were the worst offenders for me. Try reducing those and fiddling with particle effects quality if you're still having trouble. This game is murder on the CPU for some reason.

There's a problem with the Witch Hunter's muzzle flares too. If you have that guy in front of you when he starts shooting, he'll destroy your fps. It's fine when playing as him though.

looks like it, I ran it again with MSI afterburner and saw that it was using between 60-80% on my CPU cores just sitting in the tavern alone, there's some weird CPU optimisation going on there

GPU wise it never seems to break 80% even if it's running at 120fps, so yeah CPU is definitely the weak link

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

cat doter posted:

looks like it, I ran it again with MSI afterburner and saw that it was using between 60-80% on my CPU cores just sitting in the tavern alone, there's some weird CPU optimisation going on there

GPU wise it never seems to break 80% even if it's running at 120fps, so yeah CPU is definitely the weak link

I'd see if lowering character models means it has to deal with less fur. That might be a big help.

And on the loot chat, I've got really good weapons for a lot of characters but my favorite is soldier. For him I've gotten a green handgun and leveled up into another. Zoom bonus and knockback.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
It's funny; I used to assume the regrowth proc on my soldier handgun was useless. It's still a fairly low chance, a small amount of health, and it's regrowth on a weapon I use only for surgically removing specials.

On Nightmare, it's huge; every point of health means so much more, and so long as the team isn't getting pressed too hard at that exact moment, I can always snap off a shot at some distant rat (especially the stragglers coming in from behind) and stand a fairly good chance of regaining health off of it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Just view items as what they are, an add on to the game rather than it's main purpose. It's just a grind added to give an illusion of progress and forward motion. You're still playing the same game whether you have oranges or whites.

I play a lot on harder difficulties because I like the game and have gotten a lot of gear for it

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Just view items as what they are, an add on to the game rather than it's main purpose. It's just a grind added to give an illusion of progress and forward motion. You're still playing the same game whether you have oranges or whites.

I play a lot on harder difficulties because I like the game and have gotten a lot of gear for it

My main problem is that the game gives too little control over loot types for how few rolls of the dice you get, so instead of building your way up to the weapon you want, which has a real sense of progression because you can see yourself getting closer, you just roll the dice till you get something you want.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

This could be mostly solved by having everyone start with a white of all their weapon types at the start. It would reduce the chance of someone salvaging their starting item because they think it's bad since it's the default (when this is only true for a few weapons)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The 2H hammer is the one weapon type I feel rarity matters for. It's so loving slow that if it doesn't OHKO regular rats, you're better off with something faster since you'll have to followup the attack no matter what.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If you're in bleedout health (grey bar) and you recover health through a bloodlust/regrowth weapon, does it increase the bleedout health or switch you over into normal health again?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

First one then the other.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SkySteak posted:

penetrate on both normal and charged attacks.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

SkySteak posted:

It's faster than a two hander and the charge attack deals more damage whereas the axe and shield's charge attack is a stun lock attack. Single handed axes are great at can opening Stormvermin, so if it's a heavy Stormvermin map like W&C I would use it. It will one shot regular rats, but on a huge horde you won't be able to keep up too well. This can be mitigated by just having teammates clear the rats or by using some drakefires.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Am I right in thinking that the main job of the Bright Wizard, if you have the Conflag staff, is to burninate hordes? The single-target ranged bolts are really bad against specials, so I'm guessing that's your main (only?) job.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 6, 2015

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Zephro posted:

Am I right in thinking that the main job of the Bright Wizard, if you have the Conflag staff, is to burninate hordes? The single-target ranged bolts are really bad against specials, so I'm guessing that's your main (only?) job.

The single target works fine on specials, just have to fire off a few rounds, and don't miss. Conflag is a great crowd control spell though, yes.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Conflag is great for crowd control, since the rats freak out over being on fire. The left click also one shots rats so it's good at thinning out groups from a distance. It also has armor pen and will stun specials, so if you can aim well you can handle them pretty well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ranged oneshots are also real handy for picking off stragglers and flankers that get by the melee line.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

And covering the flank. Especially since the staff doesn't use ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Does anyone know if fully-charging a melee charge attack makes a difference in the strength of the attack? To do a charged attack, you technically only need to hold the mouse button down for a brief moment, so I'm unsure if holding it down further makes it hit harder, or is just for timing.

• Locked thread