Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

magnificent7 posted:

Cormac McCarthy didn't need no goddamn "said" nonsense. Neither do you.

That dude inspires such a sense of urgency and terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Please don't take writing advice from Wendig's books, or you deserve what's going to happen to you.

NiffStipples posted:

I've been lurking this thread for about 3 years now, clicking all the links and reading all the recommended books. I just wanted to thank everyone here for putting up all your valuable insight.

Because of this thread's motivation techniques, I've already plowed though 3 books, 7 self-edits, and 75 rough draft pages in my 4th book. I've enjoyed writing so much, that I've contemplated writing a second series of 4 books.

After all this writing though, I found myself at a crossroads, seeking more goon (trustworthy) advice.

I've only written for my personal satisfaction till now, but after careful deliberation, have decided to make the leap to get my works published. I'm aware that I'll need to construct a pitch, synopsis, manuscript, something about needing an agent (?), and then find the right kind of publisher for my needs.

Right now, I'm horribly confused on the different types of publishing companies out there. I want to push this as far as I can go comercially, but also want to retain my rights and royalties. I'll gladly pay all up-front costs to not get screwed over in the end.

Can someone point me to a legit source of info on this matter? Much of my research on publishers has led to confusing and sometimes contradictory results. I refuse to send anything out till I'm 100% confident with the people on the other end.

What genre is it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Please look at Mag7's posting history regarding his novel and take that as a guide to determine the kilos of salt you take his publishing advice with.

Mag, you're totally well-meaning... But your judgment on publishing matters is pretty suspect.

Skim this thread for gems from General Battuta, who was just traditionally published. You may want to take a look in the Self-Pub thread as well; obviously it's oriented towards going your own way, but it's much more business-oriented than the FA thread.

When I re-up on Plat, feel free to PM me as well -- I am going through the querying process on a couple of novels and we can at least commiserate and swap tips. There are not many posters here querying novel-length work at this time.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
No really, don't take Mag7's publishing advice. The second post in the SelfPub thread is a morality play about his misadventures in publishing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

One of my favorites:

quote:

#askagent Publishing is a dogpile of similar poo poo as everyone publishes clones of the last "big thing". Originality is dying, I fear

This poo poo has been going on ever since Virgil wrote the Aeneid.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
To Mag7's credit, he writes a lot, sticks with it, and has finished novels. More than most people. I didn't read his novels, but they seem like they are at least pretty good.

With that said, do not take his PUBLISHING advice.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This poo poo has been going on ever since Virgil wrote the Aeneid.
[/quote]

Joseph Campbell taught me that everyone is just plagarizing the bible, anyways.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

angel opportunity posted:

To Mag7's credit, he writes a lot, sticks with it, and has finished novels. More than most people. I didn't read his novels, but they seem like they are at least pretty good.

With that said, do not take his PUBLISHING advice.
Oh I wasn't giving publishing advice as much as where to go find publishing advice.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair it sounds like good advice and he never mentioned the company that screwed things up for him, so caveat blah blah etc.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To be fair it sounds like good advice and he never mentioned the company that screwed things up for him, so caveat blah blah etc.
Is mag7 the one that got screwed into an account on some shady lit site that he was neither the owner nor administrator of when he tried to get his IP back they basically told him to gently caress off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No, they're taking a big chunk of his money for a service that all the experienced posters in the self pub thread agree he could be doing much better himself.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

To summarize as much as possible:

-Mag7 spent a very long time writing a novel that seems was actually good.

-He outsourced the 'self-pubbing' to a site that parcels off various elements of the self-pub process to random people with nebulous and/or no qualifications.

-He was assigned a "book manager," for example, who did no promotion at all, priced his book at a crazy high price that would never sell, and then the book never sold. The book manager gets a percentage of all income, as do all the other unqualified people doing the self-pub for him.

-He had to make his own promo materials and own cover, which he did a good job on, but they were never circulated at all or anything since his book manager did no marketing.

-His book maxed out at like #200,000 on the paid kindle store, and is close to #1,000,000 now after 30 days. He definitely sold fewer than 10 copies total.

-If he had made an account on Kindle Direct, dumped his book onto it, and set it to go free for five days, and then sold it for $0.99 or $2.99 after it was off free promo, he would have 100% chance made more money than he did and made more sales.

-If he had done a tad of marketing on his own, even a $9.99 spot with BKnights on Fiverr, which takes a total of 3 minutes to set up, he would have made significantly more money.

-After we told him all this, he decided, "No, I'm sticking with my book manager."

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
You can't traditionally publish and keep your IP. It might revert to you after a while, if you can convince them to put that in your contract (lol, probably not). You can expect royalties of...uh, maybe 8-12% I think? Benefits: probably an advance on royalties, professional editors, professional cover designers (though you'll have less control over cover), some amount of advertising budget given to you, they can get paper copies of your book on shelves. In theory you will sell a lot more books and the reduced royalty per book is worth it. Very few trad-pub companies accept non-solicited manuscripts (i.e. you have to get an agent).

Read the self-pub thread for self-pub stuff.

Small-presses are kind of in-between, they help you out with some stuff and take a smaller cut of your royalties. Lots of variables here and I don't know how to find a good/reliable one. Probably look at their catalog and see how it's doing on amazon? What mag7 did wasn't a small press, it was some other mysterious thing, I'm pretty sure.

I'd self-pub romance and attempt to trad-pub everything else.

This place is good for query advice: http://queryshark.blogspot.com

https://www.alanjacobson.com/writers-toolkit/the-business-of-publishing/ says this about typical trad-pub royalties:
Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold.
Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.
Ebooks: 25% of what the publisher receives

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 5, 2015

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

This is also my advice

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

You can't traditionally publish and keep your IP. It might revert to you after a while, if you can convince them to put that in your contract (lol, probably not). You can expect royalties of...uh, maybe 8-12% I think? Benefits: probably an advance on royalties, professional editors, professional cover designers (though you'll have less control over cover), some amount of advertising budget given to you, they can get paper copies of your book on shelves. In theory you will sell a lot more books and the reduced royalty per book is worth it. Very few trad-pub companies accept non-solicited manuscripts (i.e. you have to get an agent).

Read the self-pub thread for self-pub stuff.

Small-presses are kind of in-between, they help you out with some stuff and take a smaller cut of your royalties. Lots of variables here and I don't know how to find a good/reliable one. Probably look at their catalog and see how it's doing on amazon? What mag7 did wasn't a small press, it was some other mysterious thing, I'm pretty sure.

This place is good for query advice: http://queryshark.blogspot.com

https://www.alanjacobson.com/writers-toolkit/the-business-of-publishing/ says this about typical trad-pub royalties:
Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold.
Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.
Ebooks: 25% of what the publisher receives

Most of this and:
There's now a bunch of Big 6 imprints that do eBook only and give better royalties (some as high as 50%). I'm not saying this is better than actually getting on a Big 6 publisher, but it's probably better than going with small press.

If you're writing fantasy/horror/sci-fi, depending on subgenre, you might find success in selfpub, but it's a hard road to trek. If you want to try small press, I can give you specific publishers that are legit, albeit small.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There are no up front costs in traditional publishing. If an agent or publisher requires money from you, IT IS A SCAM. Money flows from the publisher to the agent to the author. Never ever in reverse.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

General Battuta posted:

There are no up front costs in traditional publishing. If an agent or publisher requires money from you, IT IS A SCAM. Money flows from the publisher to the agent to the author. Never ever in reverse.
That's so cute the way you put it like that.

The money that flows to you up front is your money, it's just that when your book starts to make money, the first thing the publisher does is take out that money they advanced you... that's why it's called an advance, as opposed to "payment to let us publish your book."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Mag, seriously dude: I respect your work ethic but you're in no place to get condescending about how publishing "works", especially not to Battuta.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

magnificent7 posted:

The money that flows to you up front is your money, it's just that when your book starts to make money, the first thing the publisher does is take out that money they advanced you... that's why it's called an advance, as opposed to "payment to let us publish your book."

That is still money flowing from the publisher to the author, not the other way around.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

There are a LOT of legit sources that suggest entirely opposing strategies. I spent a year agonizing over which direction to go, and in the end, decided to take baby steps instead of going all-in on one or the other. (It should be noted that I'm the laughing stock of the self-pub thread, but that's another story).

READ THIS GUY: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/blog/
Chuck Wendig's blog. He is both self-published as well as traditional-published. His posts, (and cheap e-books on writing) provide a poo poo TON of things to consider regarding each path. Most of the other blogs I found on self-publishing vs. publishing tended to lean heavily on one side or the other, based on that person's own success story.

If you are determined to pursue an agent, and then traditional publishing, a great way to see what agents are looking for is to follow the manuscript wish list hashtag: https://twitter.com/hashtag/mswl?src=hash. Don't bother writing new stories TO these requests, just consider contacting that person if you already have something. By the time you've written/edited/revised something, chances are the agent has moved on to the next shiny object.

And then a great place to see exactly how contradictory these wishes are vs. what they're really liking is the ten queries hashtag:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/tenqueries?src=hash

My favorite eye-opener regarding this disconnect is Literary Agent Vader. He/she is pretty much the kid from the Emperor's New Clothes, calling out poo poo that nobody else seems to want to acknowledge.
https://twitter.com/AgentVader

One of my favorites:

Thanks for all the resources! I'll check everything out and probably heed to ravenkult's advice to be on my guard :) I think I'm ultimately leaning toward traditional publishing. Even though I have an Art degree in graphic design and could work my own marketing campaign and website, I'd rather put that time toward writing more books. Artwork I don't mind doing. I'm just not interested in regularly posting on social media sites to keep my web presence up.

I'm aware that I'm at great odds of getting the exact numbers I'm looking for from a publisher, but I've worked too hard on these to not push back in negotiations or take the first offer to come around. I've got nothing to lose to be honest.

ravenkult posted:

Please don't take writing advice from Wendig's books, or you deserve what's going to happen to you.

What genre is it.

Thanks! I always appreciate peoples objective opinions. It's why I came to the goons :)

I think my series is a Sci-Fi Suspense. I haven't spent much time reading up on the intricacies of book genre labeling.

RedTonic posted:

Please look at Mag7's posting history regarding his novel and take that as a guide to determine the kilos of salt you take his publishing advice with.

Mag, you're totally well-meaning... But your judgment on publishing matters is pretty suspect.

Skim this thread for gems from General Battuta, who was just traditionally published. You may want to take a look in the Self-Pub thread as well; obviously it's oriented towards going your own way, but it's much more business-oriented than the FA thread.

When I re-up on Plat, feel free to PM me as well -- I am going through the querying process on a couple of novels and we can at least commiserate and swap tips. There are not many posters here querying novel-length work at this time.

Thanks! I'll do as you advise and maybe I'll read up on the self publishing thread once more just because. I'm, without a doubt, the worst when it comes to dealing business matters. Especially when it comes to my hobbies (technically my passion). I just wanna create poo poo and move on :)

I came across another blog site or two offering publishing advice a while back and after reading around for an hour, I closed out of the page, certain that 20% or more of the advice was filler to boost sales and Google Adword revenue.

I'll definitely take you up on the PM offer Red. Hit me up anytime and we'll butt heads.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

NiffStipples posted:

Thanks! I'll do as you advise and maybe I'll read up on the self publishing thread once more just because. I'm, without a doubt, the worst when it comes to dealing business matters. Especially when it comes to my hobbies (technically my passion). I just wanna create poo poo and move on :)

It sounds like you definitely want to start with an attempt at traditional publishing, at the very least. Self-pub very much requires dealing with business stuff. The good news is that it can be learned, and it's not as complicated as it seems.

With traditional publishing, the basic process is to get your manuscript as good as you possibly can, find agents to query, and do so. The agent then takes care of selling it to a publishing house and managing your relationship with them.

Don't bother checking out Mag7's links if you want to find an agent!
Personally, I don't think the twitter blitzes are a good way to find agents. They're sporadic and not that many agents participate, plus they seem to have a decided bias towards YA and Romance (just look at the first page of the hashtag). You can see by Mag7's post that he isn't actually trying to be helpful, as the next two links he posts are basically trying to discredit what he just said about finding a literary agent. Also that literary agent vader thing is just a bunch of lame jokes??

A sample post:
Literary Agent Vader ‏@AgentVader Aug 21 -- #askagent Most female agents take wayyyyy too many pictures of their cats. Like, Jesus ... they're loving cats! Get a life!

I don't think that's the kind of advice you want. I don't know wtf Mag7 is doing, but he's not giving you helpful advice at all.

Some real advice on finding an agent:
To find agents you want to query, look at other books in your genre/sub-genre, go to the acknowledgments section, where they will usually thank their agent. You can also look at directories like https://www.writersmarket.com (pay site), https://www.agentquery.com (free), or https://querytracker.net. I got all these names from this article on finding an agent on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America: http://www.sfwa.org/real/

Once you have some agents that look interesting, read their websites to make sure they really want what you are sending.

Then it's time to write your query. As mentioned above, http://queryshark.blogspot.com has tons of advice and examples on how to do that.

Then, send in your queries and wait.

General Battuta posted:

:catstare: but also it's true, when you are trying to sell your novel most agents will expect to reject you after the first three paragraphs of your query letter. They won't even look at your manuscript.

You need to win them over in those three paragraphs. It's an art. I recommend reading a lot of QueryShark.

Also, expect it to take over a year to get an agent/sell your book/get it released. It's slow.

* The above information has been compiled through a couple years of reading about how to publish a novel instead of finishing writing one! *

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 6, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm gonna put out a soft recommend for those Twitter pitch events that happen now and then, like #SFFPit. I pitched my book this summer and got some bites. Out of the 7 or 8 agents and publishers who showed some interest, at least 3 of them were legit agents with legit agencies. One of the publishers was a MacMillan imprint for Australia. Not stellar, but it might pan out if you're just starting out.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ravenkult posted:

I'm gonna put out a soft recommend for those Twitter pitch events that happen now and then

Yeah, these can be good; just, as ever, do your due diligence with any agents or publishers who show interest. Not all of them are worth your time! You can check back on some of my posts in here for a bad experience with Pandamoon.

Querytracker is great, by the way. I check it regularly.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I didn't mean to imply that they weren't legit or anything. And they look fun, too. I just don't think that if you want to find an agent, your best bet is to wait for someone else to post on twitter asking for something like your novel.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

Thanks explaining these steps out! This is perfect!

I've only had the time to read the writersmarket.com site so far, but I've already copied a ton of info down from it into my hard notes. I'll check out the rest over the next couple weeks.

I may throw a couple tweets out while I query just to see what happens. Doesn't hurt to test the waters a little while I'm waiting on responses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of the idea using Twitter to network for this sort of thing, but it's still technically a method of ice-breaking I suppose.

Here's one more (possibly tough) question I don't recall this thread ever mentioning that I'd love to know.

If I'm querying for my 4 book series, would it be better to write the query based on the entire 4 book series, or should I write them as one book at a time? For your reference, my first book's major plot line comes to a tidy resolution, save for a few Chekhov's Gun plot devices that are used throughout books 2-4.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

NiffStipples posted:

If I'm querying for my 4 book series, would it be better to write the query based on the entire 4 book series, or should I write them as one book at a time? For your reference, my first book's major plot line comes to a tidy resolution, save for a few Chekhov's Gun plot devices that are used throughout books 2-4.

One book at a time. It's good that the first book comes to a clean resolution. The "one book" thing is because as a new author, nobody knows whether or not your first book will make enough sales to warrant picking you up again for sequels.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If the other three books are written I feel like they'd be worth mentioning in the cover letter, but yeah I'd only submit the one if you're an unknown quality.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
Will do. Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to drop any useful tidbits I learn along this process.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey - just a quick note... no advice, no condescending crap.

My book is free on kindle this week! Go get it!
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015QH2U0E?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Here's the blurb / promotional banner I made for it, (with help from the self publishing thread)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

fwiw i like your cover

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

fwiw i like your cover

yep: nice work dude

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

magnificent7 posted:

Hey - just a quick note... no advice, no condescending crap.

My book is free on kindle this week! Go get it!

Congrats on finishing and publishing this -- writing/editing an entire book is an awesome accomplishment!

Grabbed it on KU, so you'll get some $$

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Congrats on finishing and publishing this -- writing/editing an entire book is an awesome accomplishment!

Grabbed it on KU, so you'll get some $$
Holy poo poo thanks - I thought I'd replied to this with a LOT of grovelling and all that. Thank you thank you.

And hey...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFRFtxgKig

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

magnificent7 posted:

Holy poo poo thanks - I thought I'd replied to this with a LOT of grovelling and all that. Thank you thank you.

And hey...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFRFtxgKig

He's not...wrong, exactly, some of this actually is the only universal writing advice ('write as fast as you can' and 'hit your deadlines' probably being bad ideas for some people), but when you're working up as a writer, there's a huge amount of writing advice which is 99% confidence going to work for you and make your writing better.

Ultimately, sure, all writing advice is 'subjective' because the value of writing is 'subjective' because it's experienced by humans, subjectively — but there are techniques of analysis you can apply to any writing to understand how it's trying to achieve its goals.

You can then apply that analysis to your own writing to make better, more deliberate choices. It will make you better. When you are a new writer, this advice is disproportionately valuable. I know I got way way better just by getting all my work critiqued by a better writer for a couple years.

Man, what the gently caress, I thought I was replying to a link to a Chuck Wendig post. Did I completely hallucinate that?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No... I came to post that and saw DKs post about my book, updated the post, added more, then left out the wendig link.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
oh god query letter arglebargle unnnnnghhhh

I'm reading Queryshark like it's my second job but surprise, it's really difficult to make a 95k super complicated multigenerational literary novel read like the flap copy to an exciting mystery

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why you should avoid double negatives

Dislike button posted:

Lol if you're not incapable of proper squat form without at least 225 on your back

rockcity posted:

So lol if you're capable of squating 225?

Dislike button posted:

It's interesting to me how you managed to miss the point so completely. What specifically about the statement "incapable of proper squat form without at least 225 on your back" led you to post this in reply? Apologies if English is your second language

DoubleT2172 posted:

I think it's the part where you said "not incapable" champ.

Dislike button posted:

You may want to read that again

Dislike button posted:

wait so you mean people who speak English can't understand you?

Dislike button posted:

you read good

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Defenestration posted:

I'm reading Queryshark like it's my second job but surprise, it's really difficult to make a 95k super complicated multigenerational literary novel read like the flap copy to an exciting mystery

Give up on summarizing your book. Instead, write a 3 paragraph story designed to make the reader super excited to read your book! Distort, bend, omit, and rearrange as necessary.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Defenestration posted:

I went through your pain. My book is through three different POVs that see a challenge differently, each serving their own purpose and chasing their dream, and there's murder, and ghosts, and a long buried past and all that poo poo, but in the end, none of that matters if you can't get somebody interested.

So forget the massive universe and the multi-generational timeline.

Pick the thing that sucks people in.

My blurb/query pitch was crafted with a lot of help from the indie-pub thread. But only after two other completely different stabs at capturing all the poo poo I could force into two paragraphs.

THIS ONE? This is on the back of my book now, and it's working goddamn great.

I left out a lot of poo poo, and nailed it down to the OH gently caress moment.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Hey, I just wrote this big thing about critiques in writing groups on a friend's Facebook, because I am like this IRL, too.

my friend on Facebook posted:

The problem with traditional workshop criticism is that the author will either hear "This sucks" or "This is great," and either way they'll stop listening. I wish it was possible to withhold that kind of advice and instead find some way to directly engage with the text.

I sometimes wonder if the ideal workshop critique wouldn't be more of a Socratic dialogue (e.g. "What were you trying to do here? Why? How do you think it's working? What's the function of this scene?") with the author. The idea here is not that the critiquer has no opinion (of course they do), but that it might be possible to use skillful questioning to, at least temporarily, allow the author to see the text in the same way that the critiquer does.

I've found that asking questions about what the writer meant ends up with too much of the writer talking about what they wanted to say instead of the critiques focusing on what the words actually said. It might just be a function of working in a group of primarily "beginner writers," but in my experience, that results in more explanation and excuses from the writer, and less constructive feedback from the critiquers. There is actually LESS listening.

What has worked best in my groups is setting up a structure for the feedback, like "first we will talk about how you dealt with setting, then plot, then characters, then dialogue." Or "let's start with where this scene could be improved, then what you did well." Or sometimes with what aspects the author had specific questions about, i.e. "man, writing the dialogue in this scene was like pulling teeth. Was reading it the same?"

Hopefully obviously, there weren't rigid lines within the discussions. You can hardly discuss plot effectively without discussing characterization, or characterization without discussing dialogue. Mentioning "setting" as a separate category feels almost bizarre to me now, but the group in question was formed as a follow-along to the Brandon Sanderson lecture series, so we were all writing fantasy/sci-fi novels, and effectively conveying setting was pretty important in the first several chapters at least, and definitely deserved its own topic, but as you know, setting can't just be dropped in whole-sale, so even those discussions overlapped with other topics. Having conversational "sub-headings" meant that practically no discussion started with "I liked this, but..." or "I didn't really like this, but..." Instead the author might get the impression that people overall liked or disliked one aspect, and possibly stop listening, but would start listening again when we moved on.

The general "like/dislike" grouping worked well, too, at least within our small group, once we all knew each other pretty well. Not gonna lie, I probably listened a little bit harder to all of the things people liked, because "yay praise!" But I did also pay attention to each of the things that people disliked. And because of the way it was organized, there was discussion around each point. Someone would like something, and another person might dislike it. Someone else would have a third opinion like "I liked/disliked it for a different reason."

When we addressed the author's own uncertainties about a scene/chapter, I think they were just inherently likely to listen to everything we had to say because we were going over something they had already thought about a lot. Although maybe they just wanted confirmation for their gut feelings. I'm trying to remember how I react in these particular situations, and am realizing that I cannot give a reliable answer.

One thing that, in my opinion, made a huge difference in this group, was that we were very strongly encouraged to make a few WRITTEN notes about our opinions on each sub-topic of discussion for each piece we were discussing. So if we were going to approach a critique from a like/dislike, we would all come into it with a short list of the things we liked/disliked the most on every single point, and would try to make sure each of those was covered. I find it's easy to read a piece and have a vague opinion about it, and then get into a critique group and just kind of go along with what someone else is saying and not contribute much, honestly. Having those written notes beforehand made for a much richer experience all around.

ALSO. As long as it's not overwhelming negative, I love listening to people talk about my writing, so I dunno what's up with people just tuning other people out during critique groups. It's soooooooo flattering that they are giving you this time and effort and attention. Bask in it. BASK IN IT.

• Locked thread