Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

GotLag posted:

I'd agree if I believed anyone had actually done it.

My father did it.

In his defense he was in the undiagnosed early stages of a fast-moving dementia that first attacked his executive functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

stay tuned for my future research paper "Bad construction decisions: a canary in the coal mine for degenerative brain diseases?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

I can confirm that grouted tile countertops exist, and that they should not.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can confirm that while I was looking for houses, there were a ton of houses from the mid 50s that had grouted tile countertops, sometimes in completely hideous colors like pink. PINK TILE WITH BROWN GROUT.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GotLag posted:

That is actually quite common in the US. They sell all sorts of specialty edging for that too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tigntink posted:

I can confirm that while I was looking for houses, there were a ton of houses from the mid 50s that had grouted tile countertops, sometimes in completely hideous colors like pink. PINK TILE WITH BROWN GROUT.

Was the grout brown originally, or brown after 60 years?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
We renovated 2 full bathrooms with white subway tile and when the tiler was doing the job she said "Oh wow, I would never use white tile in my own bathroom" and I wondered if we had made a big mistake. But 5 years later they still look good, you just have to clean like a reasonably tidy person and re-seal them every 4 or 5 years.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The problem with finding countertops with timeless appeal is that there is no such thing. In fifty years our grandchildren will be looking at our granite/stained concrete/steel/butcher block/whatever, saying "Jesus this is hideous, they had no taste back then!", and then ripping it out and replacing it with lime green porcelain tiles and fuchsia grout and thinking "Now this is a timeless look that will last the ages."

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

rndmnmbr posted:

The problem with finding countertops with timeless appeal is that there is no such thing. In fifty years our grandchildren will be looking at our granite/stained concrete/steel/butcher block/whatever, saying "Jesus this is hideous, they had no taste back then!", and then ripping it out and replacing it with lime green porcelain tiles and fuchsia grout and thinking "Now this is a timeless look that will last the ages."

I halfway agree with you, but butcher block, soapstone/slate, and marble have been countertop material for literally hundreds of years at this point and haven't ever really gone completely out of style, even through the 70s and 80s.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dunno, I think some particular patterns of granite and marble are really ugly and dated. A lot of pukey brownish-gray stuff out there. And the white marble with faint black veins always looks to me like a tombstone.

barf.

I agree that slate and wood can pretty much always look good, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:allears: At least it's a bathroom I guess and not a kitchen.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

Our kitchen backsplash is amazing. It's some sort of mid-nineties art glass thing. All green, grey, and pink. There are decorative metal rods mounted to it. I don't even understand.
BEHOLD (I guess I was wrong about the pink)

I think the metal rod is half broken off - I think it originally tracked that grey line

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
That metal rod would be awesome if it was magnetic and you could store knives and utensils on it

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

gvibes posted:

I think the metal rod is half broken off - I think it originally tracked that grey line

I thought that was a 90s tastic shower stall until I saw the burners

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gvibes posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

That metal rod would be awesome if it was magnetic and you could store knives and utensils on it

Hanging stuff up behind your stove that you need while you're cooking is a good way to get burned or set your shirt on fire or at the very least, get all that stuff coated with a thin layer of grease and food particles. It's called a "backsplash" for a reason...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

:psyboom:

I am glad that is not a thing here.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

gvibes posted:

Your vaporwave album seems to be coming along nicely. You're just missing black & white checkered tile, faux greek statues and a Windows '95 pc.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

blugu64 posted:

I thought that was a 90s tastic shower stall until I saw the burners

oh poo poo hahaha, I didn't even see the burners til I read this

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So my old high school is gonna be torn down in the next decade, as it is "structurally deficient" and will, lacking any other word, utterly collapse and sink in an earthquake. It was one of those open concept schools, that were so popular in Western Washington. No interior walls except around the Commons, cafeteria, and offices. Classes would meet at one of. Twenty-six or so pillars with movable walls to separate the classes. When it opened there was seventeen twenty minute periods to encourage individuality. It failed miserably. To top it off, there's a basement, around four feet deep under the entirety of the school. Back in the day they though we could only get 5-6 magnitude earthquakes, and the school was designed to drop those four feet rather than collapse. With the larger quakes we can have, it would sink and basically fall apart.

Anyway, I don't have a picture handy, but the school has the world's largest solid laminate wood beams, over a hundred meters long going across the length of the school in both directions. It's a weird loving place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Was the grout brown originally, or brown after 60 years?

Probably yes. Just different shades.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Kilo147 posted:

So my old high school is gonna be torn down in the next decade, as it is "structurally deficient" and will, lacking any other word, utterly collapse and sink in an earthquake. It was one of those open concept schools, that were so popular in Western Washington. No interior walls except around the Commons, cafeteria, and offices. Classes would meet at one of. Twenty-six or so pillars with movable walls to separate the classes. When it opened there was seventeen twenty minute periods to encourage individuality. It failed miserably. To top it off, there's a basement, around four feet deep under the entirety of the school. Back in the day they though we could only get 5-6 magnitude earthquakes, and the school was designed to drop those four feet rather than collapse. With the larger quakes we can have, it would sink and basically fall apart.

Anyway, I don't have a picture handy, but the school has the world's largest solid laminate wood beams, over a hundred meters long going across the length of the school in both directions. It's a weird loving place.

I, for one, need to see this.

How do you hold a bunch of classes at the same time in an open space like that without a ton of noise pollution?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that was going to be my question too. How many teachers are there all talking at the same time? How is it handled if one class needs to take a test and another one is practicing music?

I guess you did say it wasn't successful.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dragyn posted:

How do you hold a bunch of classes at the same time in an open space like that without a ton of noise pollution?

If it's anything like that same post-hippy layout in one of the schools I was unfortunate enough to attend: cubicle walls to make rooms.

And they aren't sufficient to do the job, but it's at least better than trying to do it in a loving gymnasium.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
I can't find any pictures, but the elementary school I attended had an open floorplan with accordion style movable walls kind of like this

Maybe once or twice a year they collapsed the walls and turned it into one big open space, but the rest of the time it was pretty much like any other school. The gym and special use rooms for things like music and computers were off in a separate area with real walls. I don't recall it being all that noisy, but I do remember sometimes hearing students or teachers the next room over if they were raising their voice.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Kilo147 posted:

"Progressive" school architecture was popular here in Northeast Ohio as well. Most of them were such disasters in practice that they were either completely renovated with permanent interior walls or torn down within 20 years of being built. One of the last ones still operating in its original configuration is in my town.

Welcome to Bellflower Elementary School.

A K-6 Doom Bunker of Learning.

It was designed and built at the height of the oil crisis, half underground and surrounded by a earthen berm to save on energy costs. It's basically Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech in Dystopian building form.

Notice how the berm continues inside the building, so that the kids can't actually see out the tiny ribbon of windows. From the stories told of both friends who went to school there, and teachers that worked there, it perpetually smells like a dank moldy basement. That would make sense since the water table in that part of Mentor is extremely high.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/earth-bermed-and-energizing

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 6, 2015

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

MullardEL34 posted:

"Progressive" school architecture was popular here in Northeast Ohio as well. Most of them were such disasters in practice that they were either completely renovated with permanent interior walls or torn down within 20 years of being built. One of the last ones still operating in its original configuration is in my town.

Welcome to Bellflower Elementary School.

A K-6 Doom Bunker of Learning.

It was designed and built at the height of the oil crisis, half underground and surrounded by a earthen berm to save on energy costs. It's basically Jimmy Carter's Malaise speech in Dystopian building form.

Notice how the berm continues inside the building, so that the kids can't actually see out the tiny ribbon of windows. From the stories told of both friends who went to school there, and teachers that worked there, it perpetually smells like a dank moldy basement. That would make sense since the water table in that part of Mentor is extremely high.
http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/earth-bermed-and-energizing

That building says to me 'Defense Contractor', not gradeschool.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

ArcMage posted:

That building says to me 'Defense Contractor', not gradeschool.

To make it even better, It's not even that energy efficient. The building is heated and cooled with roof mounted, ceiling plenum ducted forced air HVAC units like any steel industrial building of similar size and era would be.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 6, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
When I first started highschool (7-12, 300 students) the 2nd floor had an "open'ish" floor plan. Here's a lovely mspaint:

(there may have been 4 less rooms, it's been quite a few years)

It was pretty loving awful hearing some loud as hell teacher down the hall lecturing. You got to hear drat near everyone if you were in the library. Just awful.
They put up walls on all the classrooms after I'd been in a two or three years and that came with it's own set of problems: HVAC. Walling in the classrooms completely hosed up all of the airflow. It's a rural school and the only area of the building with AC was the administration office.

I can't complain too much though. That ITV room? Fiber optic video links to 5 other schools so 1 teacher could teach 6 schools of classes at the same time. "Computer lab #4"...in a school of 300 students, in the 90's. Sure, it was full of Mac Classics and SE/30's and poo poo, but we also had a Mac lab, a PC lab, and a Desktop Publishing lab: it was basically an English classroom you could type essays in. We started taking touch typing lessons in the 4th grade. Sometimes forward thinking works, sometimes you end up with open classrooms.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Leperflesh posted:

Hanging stuff up behind your stove that you need while you're cooking is a good way to get burned or set your shirt on fire or at the very least, get all that stuff coated with a thin layer of grease and food particles. It's called a "backsplash" for a reason...

Actually, it's called a splashback.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

stay tuned for my future research paper "Bad construction decisions: a canary in the coal mine for degenerative brain diseases?"

There is probably something to that. My house was previously owned by the father of a prominent local person who has since revealed that her dad had dementia and possibly undiagnosed bipolar disorder. I am constantly finding new and exciting things as I gut and redo this entire house. Here is what I located yesterday:

That's some sort of window that was tucked into a wall. Not a window that was walled up, this is like a window insert for a door or something, just stuck in the wall with OSB sheathing on the exterior for the stucco and the insulation on the inside. It was behind the tub surround.

Other highlights have been about 80 garbage bags filled with crumpled newspapers under the front porch, no shortage of broken glass in the back yard (I think he disposed of windows by smashing them up then planting the shards) and instead of paint he had nailed beach towels up to the walls, like a modern version of medieval tapestries.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 6, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Leperflesh posted:

Mise en place, sir.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

MullardEL34 posted:

To make it even better, It's not even that energy efficient. The building is heated and cooled with roof mounted, ceiling plenum ducted forced air HVAC units like any steel industrial building of similar size and era would be.

Painesville never had anything that hilarious, just standard asbestos-filled 30s edifices.

Are we sure that thing wasn't just a light manufacturing plant hastily appropriated?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Other way round, it was probably poised to become a fallout-style vault at a moments notice, with the kids forcibly drafted :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That elementary school WAS ahead of its time. It looks exactly like a datacenter. Also, it's cool to see Brutalism get the recognition it deserves.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
James Madison Memorial High School in Madison Wisconsin. The windows were slits about six inches wide and three-four feet tall . It looked like a minimum security prison.

Second floor plan

From 760 to 752 (the whole math area) was open, those are just notional walls. And we had a trig teacher that did a really good impression of a foghorn with his lecturing voice.

854A-D was also completely open and had two teachers that liked to bellow.

It was a horrible building designed and built in the mid-60s. Drafty, leaky, poorly laid out; just a complete piece of poo poo.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

My parents' house has 2x2 white tiles on every surface in the kitchen. And it's not like we can blame a PHO, they replaced the old grouted tile with new, different grouted tile I want to say around 1998, and neither has dementia yet.

My shame knows no bounds.

Dragyn posted:

I, for one, need to see this.

I don't know how, but it definitely happened. My middle school (in South Florida) was originally built that way in the 60s with blocks of 16 classes taught in the same huge room, and they've had to spend multiple millions of dollars over the years to put up a hodge-podge of real walls, partial walls, accordion walls, and tracked folding walls to divide it out into individual classrooms. Even after all the work they've done there's still acoustic and AC nightmares in some places.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

~Coxy posted:

Non-American spotted!

Tile countertop chat means i have to share this photo again from an acquaintance's house. They did it themselves and it looks like garbage.

canyoneer posted:

Let's turn perfectly serviceable laminate countertops into poorly done, hideous tile countertops.

That sliver cut at the back :barf:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I hate to do it, but I'll head back there and see what I can dig up. I'll also see if I can bribe an old teacher of mine to get in the weird rear end basement and take pictures. Or just see if they left it unlocked. Either works.

Edit: all the photos are gone, even the slides. A retired teacher got everything and is slowly, very slowly digitizing them. I'm gonna try to get a few photos a bit early. I'll still try sneaking into the basement, though.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

~Coxy posted:

I thought this was what happened when I pissed too forcefully at the urinal.