Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Doesn't change the fact that diesels in small cars are dead - just look at what is happening in Europe now

Its not going to be dead for a while, there is too much of a surplus in diesel engines in the EU for it to be 'dead' right away, and for right now diesel is still standard in most non-VW cars sold in Europe.

Its going to make a huge dent on cars sold with diesel in the next few years, but its unlikely to do anything more than put a dent in it, especially as gasoline prices are still fairly high and CO2 regulations are also among chief concerns for new petrol motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ddogflex posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the 2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI S?

This whole scamming the entire planet thing seems to have made VWs pretty cheap. I test drove one yesterday and was really impressed, but I've also never bought a new car so who knows.

Would $21,000 be a good price on this? Am I in the completely wrong thread for this sort of thing?

I just got a 2016 Golf and was close to buying the wagon. They're almost the same vehicle other than the additional cargo space. Edmunds.com might have local pricing info for you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

We get it, you hate diesels. Shut up now.

Because they were actually doing some pretty amazing poo poo with diesel motors, so frankly you are just being cranky.

They (VW) was doing some amazing poo poo with diesels, but couldn't keep em clean.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

Its not going to be dead for a while, there is too much of a surplus in diesel engines in the EU for it to be 'dead' right away, and for right now diesel is still standard in most non-VW cars sold in Europe.

Its going to make a huge dent on cars sold with diesel in the next few years, but its unlikely to do anything more than put a dent in it, especially as gasoline prices are still fairly high and CO2 regulations are also among chief concerns for new petrol motors.

Across the whole of Europe is is about 50-50 now.

In some countries like France there is still a far greater portion of diesels but this could never carry on beyond a few years out anyway - just look at the problems in Paris that are (rightly or wrongly) getting attributed to diesel vehicles.

You're correct that CO2 emissions are a big factor in Europe, but you have to remember diesels are no better than the equivalent petrol now

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Across the whole of Europe is is about 50-50 now.

In some countries like France there is still a far greater portion of diesels but this could never carry on beyond a few years out anyway - just look at the problems in Paris that are (rightly or wrongly) getting attributed to diesel vehicles.

You're correct that CO2 emissions are a big factor in Europe, but you have to remember diesels are no better than the equivalent petrol now

Its not really 50-50, it varies from EU state to state, but diesel still dominates mostly:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/b/ba/Passenger_cars_in_the_EU.png

And of that, VW is a large player, but by no means a majority:

http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Pocketbook_LowRes_withNotes-1.pdf

(Figure 2-3)

And they are not even the majority manufacturer of diesel motors in EU:

(Figure 4-7)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 4, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah you linked the 2011 report

In 2014 the split across the EU as a whole was 53% diesel, 44.3% straight petrol and 2.7% 'alternative' (includes petrol hybrids)

http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/EU_pocketbook_2014.pdf

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I just drove by the VW dealership that I work near and they're pulling all the cars off the lot that aren't a V6 Passat. Amazing poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lightbulb Out posted:

I just drove by the VW dealership that I work near and they're pulling all the cars off the lot that aren't a V6 Passat. Amazing poo poo.

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀👀 👌👌Good poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lightbulb Out posted:

There is a VW dealership within a couple miles of me that has just been cleared by the city to build. They have been planning it for a couple years and just broke ground about 3 months ago... nothing has happened on the site since the diesel news broke. I wonder if they are going to go through with the build, or scrap plans until later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-recalling-92-000-cars-for-shearing-camshafts-1740571907

Sintered camshafts with press in lobes? What the hell guys?

quote:

Normally camshafts are machined from bar stock or cast from molten iron, but Volkswagen opted for modular sintered camshafts, whose lobes are pressed on. The friction from interference fit between the lobe’s and the shaft causes the lobe to “become one” with the shaft.

NHTSA says the camshafts are shearing due to “high load” on the cam. Whether that’s the only cause is not yet clear. I’d guess that the failures have something to do with the assembly process and too high of an interference between the shaft and lobe. This could impart high radial stresses on the lobe and weaken it.

Volkswagen, will your woes ever end?

Update: We called VW for more info, and learned that the GTI is actually not part of this recall. Additionally, VW’s rep says it’s more likely that the lobe is actually spinning around the shaft, rather than shearing, but that hasn’t been confirmed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like someone didn't consult with ford/yamaha.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Looks like someone didn't consult with ford/yamaha.

I thought it was going to be a repeat of the early CRD motors where the camshaft would split in two

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least my GTI VIN isn't affected.
M006885

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Why are they running the vacuum pump off the exhaust camshaft?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Why are they running the vacuum pump off the exhaust camshaft?

They've been doing that for a while now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

spog posted:

I think that the description of the issue as a 'defeat device' has been unhelpful as it is not a device (i.e. a separate component), but it is a piece of very specific programming.

We then drift towards a discussion on semantics as to what defines such a 'device' - e.g. if the mapping has a flat spot at the exact rpm that testing takes place, is that a device? If the ECU reduces power when the bonnet is open, or when the car is in neutral, are they 'defeat devices' or 'over-heating protection' and 'low power standby mode'?

You're really suggesting there is some controversy over this when there isn't. "Defeat device" is the termt hat is laid out and defined in the clean air act. The law literally says "guys don't use a defeat device". VW used a defeat device. No one is contesting any of this.

Almost half of Golf sales are GTI/R, because why would anyone buy a regular Golf?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I guess it makes as much sense as anywhere else. I just always thought of them being belt driven or integrated with the alternator.

I haven't worked on much that has a turbo and needed vacuum. Tractors don't often bother with brake boosters.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dick Trauma posted:

I just got a 2016 Golf and was close to buying the wagon. They're almost the same vehicle other than the additional cargo space. Edmunds.com might have local pricing info for you.

I'm actually sorta torn between the two. I'm use to a smaller hatchback, I have a 2005 Kia Spectre5 right now (a terrible piece of poo poo). But I'm use to the whole not being long thing. The price difference is only like $1000 between the wagon and the 4-door. So it's really just a "will I hate the length parking in the city," not price. I'm pretty sold on a Golf SE in either fashion though. I really dug it. Also, this is really dumb thing to like a car over, I know a lot have it, and this is just the first I've seen it, but CarPlay is rad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

They are pretty close in length, but it's enough to make the difference in cargo space noticeable (without flipping the seats down.) There's no turning back but I'm wondering if down the road I won't be annoyed at myself for going from a wagon to a hatch. I guess I just didn't want to buy the same car twice in a row.

If you don't care about that extra space then go with the Golf. From the rear seatbacks forward they are basically exactly the same.

The technology is freaking me out because my last VW was over ten years old. There's so many goddamn buttons but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Keyless entry/starting/locking is weird but cool. Can't make much use of the backup camera yet. The guides aren't dynamic which I think would help me. So far my favorite thing is the radio. So many presets, and FM HD is really neat with the station and song info being displayed. There's a subwoofer mounted over the spare and I had to turn it down to keep it from booming but otherwise the sound is so much better than the Monsoon in my old VW.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Throatwarbler posted:

Almost half of Golf sales are GTI/R, because why would anyone buy a regular Golf?

Good cargo space in a manageable footprint, interior is a decent place to be, good mileage (obtained at the price of terrible emissions, it now appears.)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Plugged my 2015 GTI VIN into https://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/ just to check and I got:

quote:

We could not find recall/service campaign information about this vehicle because:

This vehicle does not have an open recall/service campaign;
A recall/service campaign was issued more than 15 years ago; OR
There was an internal server error.

Well that's not very loving helpful then, is it?

I'm starting to regret buying this car even though I love it so very, very much. But all this bad VW news is making me nervous.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
That's what happens when you fire all the software guys

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Maybe they thought they'd get more mileage out of their work.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Possibility of an error? Bucket those fuckers and spit out one response.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You know what you should do if you are a large foreign company with few political friends that has just been caught dead to rights in an enormous fraud poisoning the very air we breath?

Let's now start a public fight with the EPA that will make them look like incompetent fools if they *don't* nail your balls to the wall and make you pay the full penalty and serve every year of your sentence.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/11/volkswagen-meeting-epa-discuss-diesel-emissions-program/

quote:

Officials from Volkswagen will meet Thursday with the Environmental Protection Agency to explain to regulators how a “temperature conditioning” mode isn’t illegal, Reuters reported (via Automotive News).

“(Auxiliary Emission Control Device) software does not alter emissions levels, but it ensures after a cold start (of the engine) that the catalytic converters quickly reach their working temperature and emissions cleaning takes effect,” VW said, according to Reuters.

In its notification to the automaker Monday, officials from the EPA specifically outlined how a “temperature conditioning” mode, specifically timed to the length of the EPA’s initial tests, reduced emissions up to nine times in cars equipped with VW’s 3-liter diesel engine.

According to Reuters, Volkswagen in Europe admitted that the software U.S. regulators alleged cheated emissions tests was installed in models sold in Europe. Although the EPA said that roughly 10,000 cars in the U.S. could be illegally polluting — above the initial 482,000 small cars — that number is likely larger.

In Europe, where Volkswagen is the biggest automaker, the number could be exponentially higher. Analysts at Barclays told Reuters that the number of affected cars in Europe could be 20 times higher than the number in the U.S.

Volkswagen may face an uphill battle in explaining how the software program isn’t an illegal “defeat device,” designed to fool emissions test. (They may have a problem with credibility right now.)

California Air Resources Board Chairwoman Mary Nichols told Reuters that testing officials routinely saw Volkswagen vehicles cycle into modes to reduce emissions, only to pollute more seconds later.

“It’s almost impossible to explain something like that in any way other than something about the software that controls the operation,” Nichols told Reuters.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This seems like an odd time to start claiming that they didn't install a defeat device.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Maybe VW's internal teams are tearing each other apart? It would explain why the message seems to be getting a little schizophrenic.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What do they have to lose at this point? They're on the ball for billions. It's a huge hail mary play but it's frankly all they've got other than getting out the blank checks. Does take some serious gonads to basically try the "Jedi mind trick" defense after they've already publicly admitted they hosed up.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 6, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Isn't it common on modern cars to behave differently on cold start because of emissions?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yes they bump the idle up for a bit to get things warmed up. I also don't think they start using feedback from the O2 sensor and whatnot until everything has warmed up a bit.

The "temperature conditioning" mode lasting just as long as the EPA emissions test is quite suspect though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
They're pulling the Wall Street play.

"What we did was technically legal".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

veedubfreak posted:

The best kind of legal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

There is no way that will actually work....

...is there?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Even if the defeat device/cold start is technically legal, they are not disputing the fact that the cars pollute over the legal limit after the time period expires.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Good luck with the "it was serious enough that we apologized for it and paid a fine, but it wasn't actually illegal" defense. "We didn't do it, oh wait, we did, but it was actually legal."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good luck with the "it was serious enough that we apologized for it and paid a fine, but it wasn't actually illegal" defense. "We didn't do it, oh wait, we did, but it was actually legal."

"I was only following orders" :godwin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/11/exclusive-volkswagen-to-announce-tdi-goodwill-program-next-week/

quote:

Volkswagen of America, in a bid to regain the trust of current diesel owners, will announce a prepaid card campaign on November 9, TTAC has learned.

The program, detailed to dealers Thursday in preparation of its public announcement, is aimed at current owners of affected TDI models regardless of whether they bought their car new or used.

Two prepaid cards will be offered to those TDI owners. The first one will be for $500 and has no restrictions on where it can be used. The second, which may be valued between $500 and $750, will be limited to use at Volkswagen dealerships.

According to our tipster, owners of affected models will need to visit their local Volkswagen dealership with proof of vehicle ownership to activate the prepaid cards.

:a2m:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
just sign this paper saying you won't sue and you could get $500 of groceries FREE

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Has anyone lawyered up yet? I have a lemon lawyer down the street from me. I figured I'd give them my business since they're local. I'd rather ignore the mailers from other law firms that are based outside of LA county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just curious but what are you planning on sueing for?