Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
The countryside is mostly full of landowners desperately trying to make sure you don't get near any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Allotments are cool.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Igiari posted:

Most people prefer sex talk from a partner than their mum, I think.

Oh yeah, I just thought it was funny the way that me saying it was an accusation but his girlfriend saying it was pearls of wisdom. As long as he got the message it doesn't really matter but I am glad that what I said was backed up by someone his own age just to make it sink in.

As testament to my faith in Pissflaps opinion I tried avocado again but smeared on toast with salt. It was edible, which is an improvement, but still not a taste sensation.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Make guacamole

David Cameron's sent a crack negotiating team to get Britain's new EU deal

Still doing a better job than him

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I never said kids shouldn't have technology, in fact I think they should. I'm saying that parents have a responsibility to ensure that their children use technology safely, just as they have a responsibility to watch their kid on a swing set, or make sure they wear a helmet when riding a bike. You teach a kid how to safely use the cooker, the microwave, the kettle, a bike, a swimming pool, a kayak, a horse, a bow and arrow, an air rifle, a set of skis or whatever the gently caress else they're interested in, but as soon as it comes to technology everybody is suddenly too lazy to spend literally five minutes googling 'parental controls for [device]'.

Also, I worked in tech support for many years, and as an IT manager. I made sure that my users understood what they were doing, and restricted stuff I didn't want them doing that could gently caress up the network.

All of those examples are a thousand times simpler. All they require is "don't do that". I don't know how you can have been an IT manager and not seen how impossible it is to explain tech things to people who just tell you they're not technically minded. Although it sounds like you DID notice that since you said you locked people out of the network.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

As testament to my faith in Pissflaps opinion I tried avocado again but smeared on toast with salt. It was edible, which is an improvement, but still not a taste sensation.

Perhaps your avocado wasnt properly ripe? Try one from Lidl if you can I find them to be consistently good.

Taear posted:

All of those examples are a thousand times simpler. All they require is "don't do that".

Saying its too complicated is simply not good enough in my opinion. Parents have a responsibility to try to understand what their kids might be doing online.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't like avocado.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/11/snoopers-charter-uk-govt-can-demand-backdoors-give-prison-sentences-for-disclosing-them/

quote:

Buried in the 300 pages of the draft Investigatory Powers Bill (aka the Snooper's Charter), published on Wednesday, is something called a "technical capability notice" (Section 189). Despite its neutral-sounding name, this gives the UK's home secretary almost unlimited power to impose "an obligation on any relevant operators"—any obligation—subject to the requirement that "the Secretary of State considers it is reasonable to do so."

There is also the proviso that "it is (and remains) practicable for those relevant operators to comply with those requirements," which probably rules out breaking end-to-end encryption, but would still allow the home secretary to demand that companies add backdoors to their software and equipment.

That's bad enough, but George Danezis, an associate professor in security and privacy engineering at University College London, points out that the Snooper's Charter is actually much, much worse. The Investigatory Powers Bill would also make it a criminal offence, punishable with up to 12 months in prison and/or a fine, for anyone to reveal the existence of those backdoors, in any circumstances (Section 190(8).)

As Danezis explains: "Secret backdoor notices (I mean 'technical capability notices') will be issued, and enterprising geek that wants to open a debate about them will either know nothing about them, or be breaking the law. There will be no debate about what kind of back doors, of when they should be used—all will be happening in total secrecy."

Similar gag orders would apply to the other main elements of the Snooper's Charter: interception (Section 43(1-7)); "equipment interference" (hacking—Section 148); and retaining communications data (Section 77). Gag orders would also be in place for bulk communications data collection (Section 133).

As Danezis explains, this bit would be particularly problematic: "This goes way beyond protecting specific operation, since the acquisition is performed in bulk, and cannot betray any specifics. The secrecy order protects the capability to access in bulk certain categories of communication data, which in effect means shielding it from any proper scrutiny as related to its necessity, or appropriateness in the future, or any debate on that matter."

The dismal picture painted above could just be tip of the iceberg, too. The draft Investigatory Powers Bill forbids anyone involved in interception from ever disclosing that fact, including during court proceedings (section 42). As Danezis writes: "Note that this section is absolute: it does not have exceptions, for example in relation to the public interest: such as the ability to discuss the benefit or downsides of part interception activities; no exception for talking about this to MPs, or other democratic representatives; or even to exculpate anyone who otherwise would be wrongfully found guilty."

It seems that the central purpose of the revamped Snooper's Charter is not so much the claimed tidying-up of existing surveillance powers, nor even the extension of those powers, although it certainly does that too. At the heart of proposed Investigatory Powers Bill is something much more insidious: an attempt to make it impossible for anyone in the UK to discuss any details of the government's surveillance activities, in any circumstances, even when they hear about them from sources and sites located abroad.
Well, pack it in everyone. Justice was nice while it lasted, but it's secret courts, secret evidence and strictly no talking about it from here on out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At my work we recently shifted our staff onto laptops, using purpose-built software instead of paper forms. The software has the exact same fields and involves the exact same work. The only practical difference is that it takes place on a screen rather than paper, yet the amount of moaning, foot-stomping and even people walking out has been incredible. There are some layout differences on the software, but we changed the layout of their paper forms a few years back and no-one threw the hissy fits we've seen by moving to laptops, despite them demonstrably making their work a lot faster and easier, and they get a four day training course in any case.

'Not technically minded' is a self-fulfilling prophecy; people decide they couldn't possibly know how to use these computer thingies, so their brains respond by refusing to listen or let anything sink in. But computers are here to stay, so as Pissflaps says, it's not acceptable for people to just proclaim themselves as 'not technically minded', especially when it's for the good of their children.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Somerset is fun

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

I don't like avocado.

That doesn't surprise me.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
avocado doesn't taste like anything.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

JFairfax posted:

Somerset is fun

West Country is Best Country

:newdanger: :getin:

My grandfathers are probably turning in their graves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

it tastes like avocado

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

It tastes delicious.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
it tastes like wallpaper paste looks like it tastes like.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You gotta salt it up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TACD posted:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/11/snoopers-charter-uk-govt-can-demand-backdoors-give-prison-sentences-for-disclosing-them/

Well, pack it in everyone. Justice was nice while it lasted, but it's secret courts, secret evidence and strictly no talking about it from here on out.

jfc

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

You see this, pissflaps? I had to specify this because of you. You loving did this to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
oberleutnant eat the salty wallpaper paste :yum:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

I've tasted wallpaper paste and I can tell you that does not taste like avocado.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I've tasted wallpaper paste and I can tell you that does not taste like avocado.

you motherfucker

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Prince John posted:

The article is a bit misleading actually. Boundary changes are driven by a process run by the Boundary Commissions, four independent bodies for each constituent country of the UK. Their primary responsibility is to ensure that the numbers of voters per constituency are within 5% of the UK average.

Despite the injured tone of the article, our boundaries have disadvantaged the Conservative party in recent history - i.e. it takes more votes to elect a Conservative MP than a Labour one.
[cut]

Its worth mentioning now that even with the current boundaries the Tories would now get more seats than Labour if they got the same number of votes: because Labour lost all of their Scottish seats to the SNP including a tonne of safe ones. Just because one party can get more votes than another but less seats doesn't mean that the boundaries are somehow biased: its just one of the things that can happen with FPTP and the only way of changing it is to move to a PR system.

The main changes of the reforms are a reduction of MPs from around 650 (there isn't a hard minimum or maximum, only that there has to be over and over seventeen Northern Irish seats and the commissions had leeway to adjust that number slightly) to 600, removing the advantage that Wales gets in terms of parliamentary seats (Wales and Scotland used to get more seats than they should before devolution, Scotland lost that extra representation in 2005), making reviews more regular (instead of ten to fifteen years, five years), guaranteeing the Isle of Wight two seats instead of one (this is the closest thing to outright gerrymandering there is in this thing, although the Isle of Wight was the largest seat in Commons for decades and there was no sensible way of attacking a part of it to the mainland), and decreasing the variation allowed in the population in seats from 15% to 5% from the quota number and again removing the leeway of the Commissions to have slightly bigger or slightly smaller seats.

There are some good parts of this: reviews every five years is a sensible idea although it is something that would have traditionally hurt the Labour party (because there's always traditionally been a population shift away from city centres to suburbs and rural areas) although all that would do now is spread the losses that Labour would suffer over a few elections rather than have it come in one big lump: making all parts of the UK equal is sensible, even reducing the variation allowed between seats is a sensible idea. The main issue is that the Electoral Commissions can no longer make seats outside of the population limits where it would be sensible to except the areas where they have to by law (Orkney and Shetland, the two seats on the Isle of Wight), or where it would be impossible not to (the Western Isles). One example that comes to mind is Northern Scotland: in the past the boundary commission would make some of the Highland Seats slightly smaller and thus make some of the Central Scottish seats slightly bigger in order to make sure that the Highlands seats weren't very, very big. This time they can't do that, and because they basically have to give the Western Isles their own seat despite being tiny it means that they have a very tight threshold to work with in the whole of Scotland and that could make some of the Northern Seats very huge, linking places with no real connection to one another. There were also some incredibly stupid seats in the last review that connected places: there was one that connected two places across the River Mersey that have no connection to each other, which would take an hours drive to get between. In the most recent review the English Boundary Commission didn't like splitting council wards between constituencies and that might have contributed to some of the stupid boundaries, perhaps this time they'll do that and this might get rid of most of the stupid things that they had to do last time.

Basically most of the changes are alright: but there's one real big problem that makes things very hard on the commissions, and also they've clearly been done for partisan reasons which isn't the way that you should do this sort of reforms.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

West Country is Best Country

:newdanger: :getin:

My grandfathers are probably turning in their graves.

they probably think youre cia

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Phoon posted:

they probably think youre cia

Fun fact, my grampa actually was in the CIA. There's a picture somewhere of him and my grandma shaking hands with the Devil herself (i.e. Thatcher).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've tasted wallpaper paste

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Are you as sceptical as me of your mam's claim that it cures thrush?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

The Torygraph is turning on Osborne - Why does George Osborne have it in for the workers?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Are you as sceptical as me of your mam's claim that it cures thrush?

it does if you make it with clotrimazole

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A bit late now. I'm sure that when it comes to election time they'll start supporting him.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Hopefully it will be like sharks and they will all have eaten each other before they make it out of the womb.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

What do we want? Free education! When do we- aw, poo poo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The further persecution of English students is ever more reason for Scottish independence. Civic nationalism or DEATH.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The further persecution of English students is ever more reason for Scottish independence. Civic nationalism or DEATH.

What?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My first degree would have felt like much better value if I hadn't had to pay for it. Or better still if, like my second degree, I'd been paid to do it. Post-graduate degrees are really expensive and the funding available isn't sufficient, if you're serious about getting more people from poorer backgrounds into the upper echelons of academia and technical professions, ensuring that they aren't put off pursuing their studies to the highest levels because of the crippling costs involved (both actual outlay and opportunity cost) would be a good start.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh, you wily Tories. Handy that everyone is worrying about war so you can bury a 2.3 billion loss, and also 743m in dividends in the early eurostar sale. Long term economic plan, indeed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11978677/Eurostar-stake-sale-left-taxpayer-2.3bn-out-of-pocket-says-NAO.html

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Most kids don't have the money to buy a phone themselves, and if they do there's probably a bigger concern about where they got that sort of money in the first place.

I bought my sister a fairly nice phone and before I gave it to her for her birthday I made sure to 'set it up' for her, which included putting a few limitations on it.

Obviously there's a few things that any teenage girl would be completely ostracised if she didn't have, but I made sure to have a rather embarrassing talk with her about how once something is out there, it's out there for life, and she should be very, very careful for her own sake.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Taear posted:

All of those examples are a thousand times simpler. All they require is "don't do that". I don't know how you can have been an IT manager and not seen how impossible it is to explain tech things to people who just tell you they're not technically minded. Although it sounds like you DID notice that since you said you locked people out of the network.

If you are too stupid or lazy to spend literally five minutes googling or asking someone about how to implement web filtering for phones and computers then you are far too lazy and/or stupid to be capable of raising children, which is a way more difficult, time-consuming and patience-testing task than reading a paragraph or two recommending web filters and clicking a couple of links. This has nothing to do with being 'technically-minded', you're not installing and managing a corporate-level firewall like I was; if you're capable of looking at things on the internet you're capable of doing this. If you're capable of getting Angry Birds from the app store and played a level or two then you've done something more complicated than installing a parental filter on a phone.

Not paying attention to your child's internet habits is neglectful, simple as that. There's no excuse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Oh yeah, I just thought it was funny the way that me saying it was an accusation but his girlfriend saying it was pearls of wisdom. As long as he got the message it doesn't really matter but I am glad that what I said was backed up by someone his own age just to make it sink in.

Your mum is there to tell you what to do, so you eventually kind of develop a filter to ignore most of it.

Whereas your girlfriend generally doesn't, so you listen to her.

Until you get married and then she becomes your mum, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I will install filtering on any devices in our household, or mobile devices I give the kids. And monitor for any evidence of tampering or attempts to bypass. This is a fool proof plan that means my children won't be exposed to porn as there are not other chances for them to be on the Internet.

(Joking I have no kids)

• Locked thread