Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So long Keystone

Thank God, it would have been a billion-dollar boondoggle, the price of oil has plummeted, the cost of refining crude is huge, it would have been like blowing up the grand canyon and trying to smelt the trace gold into a single gold bar at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

He really is going full on shithead isn't he? What happened to his "sensible moderate" rebranding?

Joe Scarborough possibly killed one of his interns in 2001.

The medical examiner who called it a heart attack later had their license stripped for falsifying records.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

Thank God, it would have been a billion-dollar boondoggle, the price of oil has plummeted, the cost of refining crude is huge, it would have been like blowing up the grand canyon and trying to smelt the trace gold into a single gold bar at this point.

And Canada is not happy with the way the Tar Sands projects are going anyways, Harper invested so much time and money in trying to support it only for it to basically crash the Canadian economy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So long Keystone

Augh but 35 whole jobs :negative:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

FAUXTON posted:

Your friend is a shitlord and should be god drat ashamed of himself. I'm pro-abortion as all hell but your friend needs to take some loving responsibility for himself instead of expecting his partners to do all the lifting.

...yeah if that actually happened with the attitude that the tone of the post indicates, sounds like a really lovely dude.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lots of breaking news tweets right now saying Obama will reject kxl. This was expected, right?

E: oops refresh wasn't working on lte connection

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So long Keystone

:ssh: Most of it's already built and in operation for several years, including cross border paths.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheQat posted:

Lots of breaking news tweets right now saying Obama will reject kxl. This was expected, right?

E: oops refresh wasn't working on lte connection

It helps that both sides of the border are now basically on the same page. Trudeau is not Harper and is not so much in bed with the tar sands projects like Harper was, and that gives Obama more leeway to basically give the tar sands/Keystone the middle finger.

Nintendo Kid posted:

:ssh: Most of it's already built and in operation for several years, including cross border paths.

So what. Who cares. Tar Sands is a flop.

And Keystone is not going to be the jobs generator the GOP claims it would be, especially now that Tar Sands is looking bad.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Remember, facts don't matter anymore and pointing them out to people is an attack on their character.

Facts never mattered and you've got an incredibly optimistic view of the past if you honestly think there was ever a point where most people were voting based on a careful analysis of actual statements made by candidates. Spite voting is a long and proud American tradition.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bobby Jindal's new winning strategy is to challenge people polling him to one on one debates which is definitely going to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Everblight posted:

Joe Scarborough possibly killed one of his interns in 2001.

The medical examiner who called it a heart attack later had their license stripped for falsifying records.

Don't bring that up on MSNBC or you'll get banned from the network..

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

greatn posted:

Your friend just spent $2000 on sex to get his dick wet. Tell him maybe use a condom or date someone who uses birth control, Jesus.

We stopped being friends after I found out that little gem

Edit: his dad fathered him at the age of 15 so I guess it runs in the family

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

So what. Who cares. Tar Sands is a flop.

You'd think someone who's opposed to it would care about having tons upon tons of it being sent down the pipe into America every day. :shrug:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

So long Keystone

SLOSifl posted:

Unicode emoticon #rachel_maddow

edit: Oh my god that is a large image, I'll fix that. Phone posting is dangerous.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

You'd think someone who's opposed to it would care about having tons upon tons of it being sent down the pipe into America every day. :shrug:

So what? Then they don't need another pipe for a basically failed project.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The actual facts about the Keystone pipeline don't matter and have never mattered, it's just been a proxy vote on energy policy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

So what? Then they don't need another pipe for a basically failed project.

Failed project is an interesting way to describe an industry that's "only" pulling a few billions of dollars a year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh Ben Carson made up getting into West Point too his campaign confirms.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

To be fair, the reporter is also awful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Failed project is an interesting way to describe an industry that's "only" pulling a few billions of dollars a year.

Yeah, must be why the layoffs and slowly shrinking their goals and took a $2 billion write down on their estimations.

Armyman25 posted:

To be fair, the reporter is also awful.

:colbert: There is not being fair to Carson.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Necc0 posted:

That's mostly in response to the Fed taking a harder position on raising interest rates.

Except it also took a tumble when they didn't raise rates

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Exactly. The Fed has been waffling on raising interest rates over the past few months because while unemployment is down, growth and inflation aren't really up, and employment isn't exactly booming.

Higher interest rates cool the economy of course, since it's more expensive to borrow (which banks love since they can pass the interest rate hikes on to consumers) and bonds become more attractive because their guaranteed rate of return is higher.

Since the Fed signaled last month that they still might raise rates this year (recent weakness in jobs figures had suggested that the economy had stalled) investors have already been a bit shaky, and of course continued growth of employment figures is only fuel for interest rate hawks' arguments that the economy needs to cool down. Since this translates to a considerably higher chance that they'll go up in December than expected yesterday (probably 75%, up from 35%), investors are pulling their money out of the market in anticipation of the hike and the market drops.

If it weren't for the risk of an interest rake hike in the near future being directly linked to this news, the market would have gone up, as you thought it would.

Except that's the opposite of what happened when they didn't raise rates - it took a hit, just like today.

It's almost like the market is now no longer reacting to real indicators of economic performance but is instead acting on other influencers not factored into baseline models :iiam:

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 6, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, must be why the layoffs and slowly shrinking their goals and took a $2 billion write down on their estimations.

:colbert: There is not being fair to Carson.

I watched the interview, he very calmly responded to her questions. Why is it a black man can't disagree with a white woman without being called angry and combative?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fried Chicken posted:

Except it also took a tumble when they didn't raise rates

american_economics.jpg

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Wow, a business didn't meet insanely overexuberant projections? What a surprise! They're still getting stinking rich.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Nintendo Kid posted:

Many companies are losing money right now due to the price drop. Anadarko recently took a net $2.2 billion hit this past quarter alone, down from ~$1 billion net profit same quarter last year.

Not a great time to be spending resources on oil pipes rather than natural gas terminals and export infrastructure.

edit: beaten

Amergin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 6, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Armyman25 posted:

I watched the interview, he very calmly responded to her questions. Why is it a black man can't disagree with a white woman without being called angry and combative?

You're talking about a guy who sounds like the poster boy for Xanax. You're gonna have to listen to the words rather than the tone, and the words aren't calm

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

american_economics.jpg

I like this one better.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TheQat posted:

You're talking about a guy who sounds like the poster boy for Xanax. You're gonna have to listen to the words rather than the tone, and the words aren't calm

Why is he even talking to CNN? Aren't they the leaders of The Liberal Media?

(Please ignore the fact that CNN was built on top of the remains of a softball factory)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TheQat posted:

He accused the media of making up their own story and not being interested in performing any type of real service to the nation. I can't say that he's wrong there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

Why is it a black man can't disagree with a white woman without being called angry and combative?

I think it has more to do with him being a liar, a dumbass, and a conspiracy theorist promoting Creationist dweeb.

Armyman25 posted:

He accused the media of making up their own story and not being interested in performing any type of real service to the nation. I can't say that he's wrong there.

:qq: "I can't believe you used to work with Fox News" :qq:

Shutup Armyman25.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

His PredictIt market for polling above 22% at the end of November just collapsed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

His PredictIt market for polling above 22% at the end of November just collapsed.

Yeah all the other poo poo he's lying about he can get by, but (if this story has legs), lying about getting into West Point is bordering on stolen valor and I don't think the GOP primary base can tolerate that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Let's take a moment to marvel at this fact:

The campaign of the leading Republican candidate today has taken a hit as he attempts to defend himself against allegations that he never attempted to murder a child.

Parse that sentence. Drink it in. Because it is 100% true. Welcome to the 2016 primary.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This conversation reminds me, I think Carson is going to have a more sinister version of a Howard Dean moment if he isn't able to drop out soon. No one can maintain that total lack of emotion all the time and his responses are starting to scream "there's something I think I'm entitled to and I'm not getting it" :qq:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I think it has more to do with him being a liar, a dumbass, and a conspiracy theorist promoting Creationist dweeb.

You can be all of those things with out being "angry" and "combative." The headline worked though, CNN is stirring up exactly the buzz it was hoping for out of a really pedantic interview.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Isn't this the kind of thing stolen valor groups kick your rear end for? Like I get it wasn't actual military service, but lying about getting into a prestigious officer school ought to be worth some kind of outrage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yeah all the other poo poo he's lying about he can get by, but (if this story has legs), lying about getting into West Point is bordering on stolen valor and I don't think the GOP primary base can tolerate that.
Up until now I figured the crazy poo poo he was saying was well-calculated crazy poo poo that he knew his voters would like (unlike Jeb who was saying the wrong crazy poo poo), but now I'm not so sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

You can be all of those things with out being "angry" and "combative." The headline worked though, CNN is stirring up exactly the buzz it was hoping for out of a really pedantic interview.

:allears: You really are a dubmass if you think that Carson is being attacked for being black instead of being called out for multiple lies and tinfoil hat theories about how the world works.

Hilariously, I love that Carson is most closely associated with a political group that LOVED promoting racist conspiracy theories about the sitting black president, but here you are bemoaning him being attacked really being about him being black.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Armyman25 posted:

There's some truth to that but it's 100% more true about fox than any other network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
His polls are going to spike 10 points due to the liberal media being out to get him.

• Locked thread