Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

His polls are going to spike 10 points due to the liberal media being out to get him.

Nah, if the politico story is true and gets picked up in the mainstream, he should be done after his.

He SHOULD be done, but this is 2015 and nothing makes sense anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: You really are a dubmass if you think that Carson is being attacked for being black instead of being called out for multiple lies and tinfoil hat theories about how the world works.

Hilariously, I love that Carson is most closely associated with a political group that LOVED promoting racist conspiracy theories about the sitting black president, but here you are bemoaning him being attacked really being about him being black.

They're straight up applying angry black man imagery to him. She didn't bring up any tinfoil theories or lies that he told in the interview, she just tried to make hay out of a pretty lame laugh line in a speech.

I lol'd pretty hard at her trying to defend the media by saying that they have meetings everyday to decide the questions to ask candidates to get to the "truth."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

They're straight up applying angry black man imagery to him.

Nah man that was self applied, he wrote a whole book about his pathological anger.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Nah, if the politico story is true and gets picked up in the mainstream, he should be done after his.

Trump said he would respect McCain more of her didn't get captured and got a bump.

Here's the "truth" about Carson, he could have gone to West Point if he wanted, so his false story is true.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Raerlynn posted:

Isn't this the kind of thing stolen valor groups kick your rear end for? Like I get it wasn't actual military service, but lying about getting into a prestigious officer school ought to be worth some kind of outrage.

You mean by some kind of group of West Point graduates for truth?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

zoux posted:

Yeah all the other poo poo he's lying about he can get by, but (if this story has legs), lying about getting into West Point is bordering on stolen valor and I don't think the GOP primary base can tolerate that.

This is the same election where Trump called McCain a loser for being a POW, and then continued to dominate the early polls. I don't know that we can forecast what the Republican primary base will or will not care about now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

They're straight up applying angry black man imagery to him. She didn't bring up any tinfoil theories or lies that he told in the interview, she just tried to make hay out of a pretty lame laugh line in a speech.

:qq: "They are being mean to Ben Carson" :qq:

From one of the candidates that whined that MSNBC was asking 'Hard Questions'

Nintendo Kid posted:

Wow, a business didn't meet insanely overexuberant projections? What a surprise! They're still getting stinking rich.

So what? This is about Tar Sands, and they are lowering their outlook on Tar Sands. They are a petroleum company, of course they are getting stinking rich. They don't need another State backed pipeline for a lowered outlook, especially under false pretenses like 'Job Creation'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frabba posted:

This is the same election where Trump called McCain a loser for being a POW, and then continued to dominate the early polls. I don't know that we can forecast what the Republican primary base will or will not care about now.

We're going to have to see how this shakes out narrative wise. I do think it's very difficult to spin and Carson's best bet is to try to conflate this with the "witch hunt" they've got going on with CNN right now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In 88(?) Diamond Joe had to drop out of the Presidential race cause he lifted parts of a campaign speech without citing them. In 2015 who gives a gently caress make up your whole backstory like you're the goddamn Joker.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's gonna suck hard for him if he is done, because this is pretty much the one thing that could tank his candidacy and his book sales. If this takes off it'll blow him into a million little pieces.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

weekly font posted:

In 88(?) Diamond Joe had to drop out of the Presidential race cause he lifted parts of a campaign speech without citing them. In 2015 who gives a gently caress make up your whole backstory like you're the goddamn Joker.

This is why I don't believe any polls or anything about the future of either party. We're so far beyond anything resembling normalcy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

It's gonna suck hard for him if he is done, because this is pretty much the one thing that could tank his candidacy and his book sales. If this takes off it'll blow him into a million little pieces.

His entire appeal is based on his life story, his journey from a "thug" to a brain surgeon. The evangelical community that is buoying his polling right now eats that poo poo up, they love redemption stories. But if the whole thing is made up, well...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

Didn't cite them sometimes, he usually actually cited them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

His entire appeal is based on his life story, his journey from a "thug" to a brain surgeon. The evangelical community that is buoying his polling right now eats that poo poo up, they love redemption stories. But if the whole thing is made up, well...

Same group of people rather read fan fiction than the original source; he'll be fine. (I'm talking about the bible)

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Nevermind

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

That's easy enough to spin toward that particular audience, because if there's one thing they like more than just a redemption story, it's a "remorseful sinner asking forgiveness for his transgressions" subplot. So basically all it'll take is a standard non-apology flavored with enough "God has forgiven me, why can't you" bullshit.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Bushiz posted:

Look at you you clever son of a bitch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You're right guys, Ben Carson is an unstoppable juggernaut and we better accept the new reality of his inevitable presidency.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

weekly font posted:

Or you can just repeat the wiki article for Gattaca verbatim as a stump speech.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

You're right guys, Ben Carson is an unstoppable juggernaut and we better accept the new reality of his inevitable presidency.

I just meant for his evangelical book sales, dude. Chill.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
This West Point lie isn't going to magically bring down Carson. Calm down, USPol.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ben Carson is the perfect martyr for the conservative christian persecution story.

Facts no longer matter.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This West Point lie isn't going to magically bring down Carson. Calm down, USPol.

West Point won't bring down his candidacy but it's something that can be confirmed, and it hurts the already lagging credibility of his redemption arc. But him going down depends on who comes swinging at him for this one. I feel like this is a good opportunity for Cruz to cannibalize his supporters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His campaign has admitted he made it up. They can't just go back on it and say "media lies", the confirmation came from his own camp.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

Ben Carson is the perfect martyr for the conservative christian persecution story.

Facts no longer matter.

Facts have never mattered. :tipshat:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa holy poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

weekly font posted:

To use an old acronym from the beginning of the blogs days: IOKIYAR.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

His campaign has admitted he made it up. They can't just go back on it and say "media lies", the confirmation came from his own camp.

Yeah, and he can claim that he mixed it up with another luncheon/meeting and go on about how his ROTC service changed his life and how he became a lauded surgeon and why the liberal media is distracting people with that instead of focusing on the economy and jobs and national security and stuff that matters.

You know, the stuff that he and other republican candidates have been doing, him and Trump successfully railing against the liberal media.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I actually thought that West Point was tuition free.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

I actually thought that West Point was tuition free.

It is, their spokeswoman in the Politico article said there's no such thing as a full scholarship because there's no tuition to pay.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra posted:

It is, their spokeswoman in the Politico article said there's no such thing as a full scholarship because there's no tuition to pay.

Well, that clears up my confusion about that! Thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yeah, and he can claim that he mixed it up with another luncheon/meeting and go on about how his ROTC service changed his life and how he became a lauded surgeon and why the liberal media is distracting people with that instead of focusing on the economy and jobs and national security and stuff that matters.

You know, the stuff that he and other republican candidates have been doing, him and Trump successfully railing against the liberal media.

drat, you should go work for the Carson campaign!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Joementum posted:

Well, that clears up my confusion about that! Thanks.

In fact you are paid to attend because you hold a military pay grade.

When I went your take home pay started at like $65 a month and went up to maybe 300ish senior year.

I am old.

:corsair:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all know about the movie they made about his book right?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Republican Twitter is blowing up right now, wondering why the media never fact checked Hillary's military story:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/15/us/hillary-clinton-says-she-once-tried-to-be-marine.html

quote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines.

She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville.

She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. 'Not Very Encouraging'

"You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bushiz posted:

I hope you meant to do that.

efb

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Unless general westmoreland shows up at the end of that story, it's not really at the same level of talespinng.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The 18 year old who stabbed four people at UC Merced left behind a detailed plan. He did it because he was angry about being kicked out of a study group. His master plan was to zip cuff students in a classroom to desks, wait for the police, and spray petroleum jelly on the ground so they would slip and fall and he would take their guns and shoot everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

pathetic little tramp posted:

Republican Twitter is blowing up right now, wondering why the media never fact checked Hillary's military story:

I agree with Republicans on Twitter! All candidates should have to submit documented proof of their military service, if they claim it. Past Presidents should lead by example here.

• Locked thread