Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was looking through the assignment screen for sweet sweet grimdark backstory and the corp lady gave me the reason there are still streets.

Its because conservative groups lobby hard for them to still be used :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Agean90 posted:

I was looking through the assignment screen for sweet sweet grimdark backstory and the corp lady gave me the reason there are still streets.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Haven't been playing this quite as much as a lot of the people in the thread, so I just got to the point where I started actually building up space(I had started my moon colony yesterday, but hadn't really done anything up there due to lack of funds). Building up homes, get the first couple production things going(titanium plates and oxygen) along with sufficient power for everything, and whoops, my 20k income is now almost 10k negative! Good thing I had a big chunk of funds left in the bank at this point and was able to plop down a ton of houses and stuff to make all the new people happy in my temperate zone area, because that could have been very bad.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Yeah if in doubt go back to temperate.

Now my money is capped at 3mil and I'm making +100k. Importing luxury food and drinks to save on space. Just need to build a corporate HQ...

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I decided to revisit this last night and I ended up playing till 1am.

I'm torn because this is clearly a good game, and there's fun to be had, but it doesn't feel like Anno anymore.

Also, I reeeealllllly hate Jorgensen. "Hey, about the military mission? No? Oh well, I'll just remind you about it literally every time you enter the Arctic region and never ever shut up about it".

I prefer his wimpy ancestor.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Which one? The Jorgensen family line has been in the series since 1701. :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I was referring to Leif Jorgensen, but good point :v:

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Look at upgrades for production buildings, I see that it maxes out for a certain number of additional modules you can add for each base building.

Is it always the case that maxing out on upgrades is more efficient than building a new base production building? I didn't get a chance to look at the numbers in detail and crunch the math, but was wondering if anyone had?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Pretty sure it is yeah. Most factory modules add anywhere between 75% to 150% production but only add say a third-to-half in maintenance cost so it's a hell of a lot cheaper to add modules to factories than create entire new factories. Then of course you can further reduce their energy or logistics footprint depending on which you have less of. It's a really neat system.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I ramped up antigrav production on my moonbase so that my executives could go full Wall-E, and I forgot to turn off my energy transfer that I used to finish off the requirements of the Petrochemical Generator 'wonder'. Got a warning that there was no power and went "oh gently caress" and backed out to the main area to lower my transfer - when I deleted the transfer I got power warnings in BOTH sectors. Zooming back in to my moonbase all of a sudden everything has giant exclamation marks saying there's no shield and I couldn't figure out why because at the very least my warehouse should be supplying the one right next to it and that's when I noticed MY WAREHOUSE WAS GONE.

I don't know if it was a bug or meteor strike (nothing else was damaged) but I had to drive my buggy all the way back over to plop down a new warehouse, and then my entire base hummed back into life like nothing had happened.

I also got enough money to start shopping for new sectors - looks like the price is based on the owning corporation's level, though not entirely clear on how they grow.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Vetitum posted:

Look at upgrades for production buildings, I see that it maxes out for a certain number of additional modules you can add for each base building.

Is it always the case that maxing out on upgrades is more efficient than building a new base production building? I didn't get a chance to look at the numbers in detail and crunch the math, but was wondering if anyone had?

It's always more efficient to expand existing factories, yes. Factory modules always improve production faster than they scale up maintenance costs by a factor of 2:1. That is to say a module that improves production by 100% will only increase maintenance by 50%. You also get to take advantage of using one less set of maintenance modules by expanding versus building new. Also the logistics cost is fixed and doesn't increase as you expand the factory while adding an entire new factory eats up more logistics.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm hoping any future expansions/installments lead us to visit other planets such as Mars or Venus to strip them of resources as well; that could lead to a nice tie-in with Dead Space as humanity turns into a hive of locusts.

I'm kind of hoping they go the opposite route and Anno 2499 is about the transition to post-scarcity. At the very top tier you've got fabricators for practically everything and it's about energy, raw materials to feed into the fabbers, and keeping people happy now that they no longer have to work.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
You mean Anno 2502. :colbert:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chief Savage Man posted:

You mean Anno 2502. :colbert:

Thank you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaynorr posted:

I'm kind of hoping they go the opposite route and Anno 2499 is about the transition to post-scarcity. At the very top tier you've got fabricators for practically everything and it's about energy, raw materials to feed into the fabbers, and keeping people happy now that they no longer have to work.

Or go the full Supreme Commander route. You have two resources: mass, and energy. Nanotechnology requires only energy and matter to make anything.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh man, Just built my first bridge and now I'm tempted to shift my entire industry across it just to clean up my abortion of a city.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've played older games in this series but not 2070 and this thread has me itching to play. Should I get this game or Anno 2070 complete pack for 29.99? Or wait for the next steam sale and get 2070 for 10 bux?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got 109 hours in 2070 and I'm not even a crazy person. $30 for everything is a good price.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there any way to make the zones of influence a bit easier to see? In 2070 when plopping say some kind of info center, it would highlight all the residences that would get the effect. In 2205 it looks like it kind of does a road highlighting like Cities:Skylines does with utilities to show effect, but it's barely visible and I can never really tell just where the cutoff line is, considering that getting the utility effect is pretty binary. I'm still very new to this game and figuring out how to manage roads/logistics, but also trying to minmax city setups to get the most out of those utility buildings...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Murgos posted:

I've played older games in this series but not 2070 and this thread has me itching to play. Should I get this game or Anno 2070 complete pack for 29.99? Or wait for the next steam sale and get 2070 for 10 bux?
Both are good but quite different.

That said if I went back to Anno 2070 after this I would really really miss having total knowledge of my input/output numbers, being able to move building without destroying them, and the new factory module system.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Its not really binary tho. How it works its that the houses use up a certain amount of whatever the building provides, which is determind by how long the road is between the house and the resource. So a house can be outside of the buildings influence zone, but still get the benefits from it because the building has enough surplus resource to make up for the distance penalty.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Do you get any more money if you have surplus of any kind? Like, is there any point to ever using worker drones in the temperate zone?

Also where is the 'per-zone cerdits' thing? I want to see how much the arctic and moon is draining from me overall, and if arctic workers are even cashflow positive.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Agean90 posted:

Its not really binary tho. How it works its that the houses use up a certain amount of whatever the building provides, which is determind by how long the road is between the house and the resource. So a house can be outside of the buildings influence zone, but still get the benefits from it because the building has enough surplus resource to make up for the distance penalty.

Ugh, that means I have to care about roads. Here goes my brutalist architecture revival!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

Do you get any more money if you have surplus of any kind? Like, is there any point to ever using worker drones in the temperate zone?

Also where is the 'per-zone cerdits' thing? I want to see how much the arctic and moon is draining from me overall, and if arctic workers are even cashflow positive.

Bottom left of the main screen, one of the buttons that has the little three bars credit symbol.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I really, really like how warehouses / residential services buildings radiate through the grid now. It really helps (me, at least) be more freeform with my cities instead of trying to cram everything in a certain radius to make a perfect sperg city-crystal.

I restarted on hard, definitely enjoying it more so far. Spent the first 30 minutes or so constantly reconfiguring my starter city as I unlocked the ability to add modules and such. Until I get other sources of energy, my residential grid has long blocks, with wind generators forming a breezeway down the middle, now that I know better. It looks cool :allears: and I'll post screenshots later.

Also: if you think you'll be starting up a hard mode game, start your corporation now so you can vote and get the benefits, then go back to easy / normal. Was unhappy to see my new corp didn't get grandfathered in on the goodies from the first round of voting.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

I thought one of the load screen tips said something about the repulsors for the air cars being embedded in the roads?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The corp lady said that too, but also that its mostly

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

My new game on expert is going well:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
While this has not been an issue for me yet, it looks like the most serious shortcoming of the game is a lack of difficulty based on people breaking the game on hard? Looks like just a sharp initial difficulty curve that quickly plateaus?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

bonds0097 posted:

While this has not been an issue for me yet, it looks like the most serious shortcoming of the game is a lack of difficulty based on people breaking the game on hard? Looks like just a sharp initial difficulty curve that quickly plateaus?
Yep. Difficulty will spike upwards when you unlock arctic and lunar sectors but once you're over the initial bottleneck you'll have no problems. It gets even easier when you unlock your second and third temperate zones.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

bonds0097 posted:

The prices on the world market are ridiculously low, a lot cheaper than making stuff yourself. Once they adjust that, I'll probably have to put a little effort into what I'm doing instead of just importing all the expensive to manufacture stuff.

Look at that price for androids, it's ~30% of what it would cost to make them myself!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What determines the price anyway?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Poil posted:

What determines the price anyway?

Seems to fluctuate based on global player supply/demand. An actual cool use of UPlay actually.

Though with stuff being unbalanced atm, that's problematic. I'm sure prices will stabilize before too long but by that point a lot of people will have 'beaten' the game unless they give us a compelling reason to revisit and maintain your stuff.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Murgos posted:

I would get 2070 if you liked the older games; it's a ton of game for $30. I played 149 hours and that's without touching multiplayer or the sandbox and I still don't think I beat it. The new game is cool but honestly I would wait for the first expansion and a price drop, it doesn't feel like $60 worth of game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game made my fire up 1404 again, gently caress that's a pretty game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I the only one who didn't really care for campaign in 2070 and just did scenarios/random maps?

I just couldn't get into a story about some comically evil/inept organization that might as well have been named Beijing Smog Company and the quirky antics of a renegade robit. It also just seemed to plod along slowly so I gave up on it shortly after the AI went nuts or whatever.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
drat I missed out on the super cheap GMG deal because I've been without internet for the week. Not sure I want to pay $60 for this based on some of the comments in this thread.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wait is dawn of of discovery and dawn of discovery venice different things? i thought I had both, are they seperate entries in the steam library?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

queeb posted:

wait is dawn of of discovery and dawn of discovery venice different things? i thought I had both, are they seperate entries in the steam library?

Venice is the expansion pack. It adds new stuff and espionage mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I the only one who didn't really care for campaign in 2070 and just did scenarios/random maps?

I just couldn't get into a story about some comically evil/inept organization that might as well have been named Beijing Smog Company and the quirky antics of a renegade robit. It also just seemed to plod along slowly so I gave up on it shortly after the AI went nuts or whatever.

I've never done campaigns in ANNO, they always seemed like extended tutorials.

Endless / Free mode is where ANNO is all about.

Holy poo poo Chomp we agree on something else!

With the GMG sale I'm actually thinking about grabbing this though. I should stop reading the thread, its just tempting me...

• Locked thread