Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

ilifinicus posted:

because we've got so much use out of those minigames they spent all that development time on

who the hell still does chocobo racing? triple triad?

"People might enjoy things other than raiding in my video game, this cannot be allowed to stand! :itoilet:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they spent all that time they could have used to make golden saucer not a ghost town on making story mode alexander

we told you it was coming pre-HW

you didn't listen

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Still awaiting the QoL update that lets me read the patch notes on my PS4 from the link in the launcher. Seriously, Flash?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Rebone

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

quote:

Tataru is no longer available as an opponent for Triple Triad.

The saddest patch note. :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

Chocobo racing is really fun, it just needs a second pass to adjust out the ridiculous number of "weight classes" and add more rewards so that there's more people doing it and you're not just racing the computer every time. Throwing in a couple more courses and features wouldn't hurt, either.

People also don't hang out in the golden saucer really now, though it sounds like they're trying to change that by increasing MGP rewards, adding challenge logs, and Lords of Verminion.

I think it's mostly that their team is not big enough for them to implement the various features they want as well as we want them to be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm really interested to see exactly how quick the recast is for shield swipe. I can imagine with bulwark in a big pack of mobs that it can basically be always up. Paladin aoe is now how fast can you tab target and pass around these swipes.

The TP changes should help a bunch also.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder how hard I'm gonna have to sperg to get my MCH from "just hit 56" to "ready for 3.1" by patch time. I don't have any stocked up tomes of either type, or much in the way of Centurio seals.

It's gonna be a lot of dungeons for me, isn't it :v:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Nobody mentioning that Level 50 dungeons now give exp? Because that is pretty huge

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ilifinicus posted:

so much detail put into a minigame

imagine if they'd not wasted all that time on a minigame and put it into making raid content not garbage

Given that their stock answer for "why can't you incredibly useful QOL feature?" is "server data limits" I'm wondering how much data per character they just wasted on this minigame.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Boten Anna posted:

Chocobo racing is really fun, it just needs a second pass to adjust out the ridiculous number of "weight classes" and add more rewards so that there's more people doing it and you're not just racing the computer every time. Throwing in a couple more courses and features wouldn't hurt, either.

People also don't hang out in the golden saucer really now, though it sounds like they're trying to change that by increasing MGP rewards, adding challenge logs, and Lords of Verminion.

Augh, this. I played for a couple hours, found out what reward I got for 1st place, and decided gently caress that noise.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xenoveritas posted:

Given that their stock answer for "why can't you incredibly useful QOL feature?" is "server data limits" I'm wondering how much data per character they just wasted on this minigame.

I do like that we're getting the ability to Dressing Room multiple pieces of gear, a feature available 11 years ago at launch in World of Warcraft.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

I think it's mostly that their team is not big enough for them to implement the various features they want as well as we want them to be.

There really is no team big enough to keep all the content in this game current at all times, nor enough time to play such a game.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Nobody mentioning that Level 50 dungeons now give exp? Because that is pretty huge

Really glad this happened right before I'm scheduled to hit 50 :toot:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It was announced months ago, so it's not really noteworthy to most people anymore.

I'm perplexed it says Gobtwine / Carboncoat from logs. Typo maybe?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

nuru posted:

It was announced months ago, so it's not really noteworthy to most people anymore.

I'm perplexed it says Gobtwine / Carboncoat from logs. Typo maybe?

I'm assuming it's Illuminati Gobtwine/coat for upgrading eso notweapons, but that Illuminati Gobdip will either a. not yet be available outside of savage at all (probably will be made available in 3.15 or 3.17) or b. only come from Void Ark (and savage) for now. Leaning towards the former.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm really interested to see exactly how quick the recast is for shield swipe. I can imagine with bulwark in a big pack of mobs that it can basically be always up. Paladin aoe is now how fast can you tab target and pass around these swipes.

The TP changes should help a bunch also.

The patch notes themselves say it'll be 15 seconds recast.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

The issue is actually character data files associated with your character that need to be available at all times. A few bytes matters for basic data like appearance, equipped gear, job levels, title, stuff that is required to interact with whatever instance or open world area you're in, as they need to be processed in fetch operations, saved and backed up regularly, and saved and retrieved every time you leave or enter an area or instance. Additional games like Verminion do not need to have their data loaded every time you change zones or enter an instance, and can be kept in a separate database that is only accessed when actually playing lords of verminion or when bringing up an verminion-related screen from your menu. This is also why some menus and such (Timers, especially) take a second to load when you open them, it involves data that is not kept immediately onhand to avoid stressing the character database server, so it only looks it up when specifically requested or required to participate in an event.

Also, if you look carefully at Lords of Verminion, there's almost excessively little server side data stored. What minions you have is data already associated with your character, and minions' stats and such are all static data hardcoded in the client and event rules--not variable data that changes, such as if the minions had levels and gained experience. Setting your minion hotbar is probably saved clientside; if it's stored on the server it would be in a separate database only accessed when participating in Verminion. The currency it uses and rewards already exists in the form of MGP. The only new thing it really seems to add is a player ranking and tournament data, which is probably tied to a database separate from the main one along with the rest of the golden saucer stuff anyway.

So to answer your question, they seem to have wasted very little to no data per character on this minigame.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how hard I'm gonna have to sperg to get my MCH from "just hit 56" to "ready for 3.1" by patch time. I don't have any stocked up tomes of either type, or much in the way of Centurio seals.

It's gonna be a lot of dungeons for me, isn't it :v:

I regret to inform you that it'll be a lot of sperging. Daily and challenge log bonuses alone won't get you from 56 - 60 in the time left so you'll have to dungeon spam just to get there, let alone what you'd need to farm to get geared up enter the new content immediately on release.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eej posted:

I do like that we're getting the ability to Dressing Room multiple pieces of gear, a feature available 11 years ago at launch in World of Warcraft.

actually the dressing room feature was added in patch 1.7 please do not get these important details incorrect and impugn the perfection of the yoship :spergin:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Ouhei posted:

Really let down by the PLD changes, not sure what I was expecting, but they've done nothing to address the aggro gap.

I don't know how DRK and WAR play at endgame, but DRK at ~30 is stupidly easy to maintain aggro, never have to use your threat combo really.

the gently caress are you talking about

shield swipe has increased threat. like 6x or 7x base value.

RIP my TP

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

I regret to inform you that it'll be a lot of sperging. Daily and challenge log bonuses alone won't get you from 56 - 60 in the time left so you'll have to dungeon spam just to get there, let alone what you'd need to farm to get geared up enter the new content immediately on release.

Oh well. On the other hand if I take it slow it means other people can learn the new content for me before I get there :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Willias posted:

the gently caress are you talking about

shield swipe has increased threat. like 6x or 7x base value.

RIP my TP

PLD still has that gaping hole of lovely AOE damage but shield swipe actually being something worth using (as well as shield bash being a bit less TP hungry making tp management less of a chore) should actually be a noticeable dps increase.

PLD still needs more work but I think this will be a better change than most people will think it is by reading the notes.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

LegionAreI posted:

"People might enjoy things other than raiding in my video game, this cannot be allowed to stand! :itoilet:"

That's the point though, they don't.

Minigames don't keep subs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Empress Theonora posted:

if you want a game that neglects all other activities in favor of raiding world of warcraft is right over there

you'll have ten months to catch up with the current expansion before the next patch, too!

There is so much other stuff to do in wow other than raiding.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
As someone who spent a good chunk of time making i170 crafting pieces for myself during 3.0, I can't help but feel that I just got royally shafted by the increase to the amount of NQ crafting mats you get from favor mats now. I think I would have much preferred a cost reduction in the amount of favor items per token rather than literally tripling the number of materials you get per token. I think that would have stung quite a bit less.

Maybe that's me being a whiny crybaby but meh. Feels like I just got punished severely for trying to make headway on endgame crafting progression.

Lumis fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 6, 2015

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

ilifinicus posted:

because we've got so much use out of those minigames they spent all that development time on

who the hell still does chocobo racing? triple triad?

Hi I'm the guy that still plays Triple Triad.

KaneTW posted:

That's the point though, they don't.

Minigames don't keep subs.

They do, in conjunction with content. I don't think anyone thinks minigames alone sell a sub or game though.

There's plenty of people excited for Lords of Verminion and plenty of people who were excited for Chocobo Racing/Triple Triad when it came out. The problem is that they inevitably dry out, similar to raiding. Raiding caters to a larger crowd though, I won't argue that.

If you don't like them don't play them, that's cool but honestly you really can't believe that these horrible horrible minigames stole an entire dev team and it's time from the dungeons and/or raiding content.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am really excited for the new dungeons.

Dungeons are my favorite part of the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lumis posted:

As someone who spent a good chunk of time making i170 crafting pieces for myself during 3.0, I can't help but feel that I just got royally shafted by the increase to the amount of NQ crafting mats you get from favor mats now. I think I would have much preferred a cost reduction in the amount of favor items per token rather than literally tripling the number of materials you get per token. I think that would have stung quite a bit less.

Maybe that's me being a whiny crybaby but meh. Feels like I just got punished severely for trying to make headway on endgame crafting progression.

What I don't like is that you still need to use favor items in tandem with your red scrip tokens to buy materials. That's by far the worst part about the scrip system for me.

Paladin changes feel like a bandaid on a gaping wound, but hopefully there's more planned for 3.2.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

What I don't like is that you still need to use favor items in tandem with your red scrip tokens to buy materials. That's by far the worst part about the scrip system for me.

Paladin changes feel like a bandaid on a gaping wound, but hopefully there's more planned for 3.2.

Don't worry! Now you can spend all day farming the same dungeon over and over to get 1,800 law to buy 1(?) of the finished mat! :suicide:

On that note Please Be Crafting LS now a dedicated Please Be Farming Law LS?

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 6, 2015

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well I mean, doing the math, I've made roughly 100 2-star base crafting items (adamantite ingots, astral silk, etc.), which sell for approximately 2 mil per item if they are HQ on my server (low pop and slow moving markets but they do sell for that). The changes mean I could have instead made roughly 300, and that I effectively missed out on 400 million gil from those extra 200 items I could have made (give or take; obviously markets change over time and an increase in the amount available drops the price, but I think you get the point) worth of sales by actually participating in the system instead of just sitting on my tokens every week. Honestly I think that's kind of lovely.

I don't really mind them making stuff easier to get over time, but this really seems like massive overkill.

Lumis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 6, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lumis posted:

In a game with vertical progression, your pride and your ego will have a much easier time handling the periodic gear resets if you approach it from a sense of "did it when it was hard" rather than merely "did it at all". Because the former accomplishment is in no way devalued by other people doing it when it's easier, while the latter accomplishment is.

Samba De Amigo posted:

Don't worry! Now you can spend all day farming the same dungeon over and over to get 1,800 law to buy 1(?) of the finished mat! :suicide:

I'm pretty sure the idea here is less "personally grind dungeons to get crafting mats" and more "occasionally get a crafting mat this way, plus there are a shitload more mats available - and at lower prices due to higher supply - from all the people who do run dungeons but don't craft and want to turn their law into gil".

You still need to burn weekly limited red scrips for either a. HQ mats or b. a less ridiculous ratio of time cost vs. mats obtained.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Lumis posted:

Well I mean, doing the math, I've made roughly 100 2-star base crafting items (adamantite ingots, astral silk, etc.), which sell for approximately 2 mil per item if they are HQ on my server (low pop and slow moving markets but they do sell for that). The changes mean I could have instead made roughly 300, and that I effectively missed out on 400 million gil from those extra 200 items I could have made (give or take; obviously markets change over time and an increase in the amount available drops the price, but I think you get the point) worth of sales by actually participating in the system instead of just sitting on my tokens every week. Honestly I think that's kind of lovely.

To be fair though people have been facing that decision from day 1 because unless you're investing in other people's Red Gatherer Scripts you have to choose between your own gathering gear or the favor mats to make the finished mats. It's been a horrible, lovely system all around and while I regret having chosen to upgrade my gathering gear because watch the Diadem not even need it.

So while I feel where you're coming from, it's nothing new unfortunately.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also lmao the TP cost reduction on Goring Blade reduces a paladin's TP consumption by a whole 1.8%! Now they can offtank for 17 more seconds before running out of TP! WOW!!!

And now main tanks don't even have the option of using Shield Swipe to slow down TP consumption. This change is actually going to make tanking as a paladin worse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Samba De Amigo posted:

I'm down to farm Law whenever I'm on unless I'm leveling DRK. What is the fastest way to get law tomes anyway, is it speedrun ARF parties?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Vil posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea here is less "personally grind dungeons to get crafting mats" and more "occasionally get a crafting mat this way, plus there are a shitload more mats available - and at lower prices due to higher supply - from all the people who do run dungeons but don't craft and want to turn their law into gil".

You still need to burn weekly limited red scrips for either a. HQ mats or b. a less ridiculous ratio of time cost vs. mats obtained.

Yea I'm looking forward to it being available to everyone through a conventional mean which will devalue the NQ items, but depending on how much sanity you have it can also serve to save you a lot of money.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lumis posted:

I don't really mind them making stuff easier to get over time, but this really seems like massive overkill.

If supply increases to 3x then, all else being equal, value-per-item drops to 1/3x. It's not an immediate process and it doesn't factor in shifts in demand (e.g. more people will probably go "oh, this may actually be worth doing now then", so value won't drop all the way to 1/3x) or volatility (e.g. every crazy speculation everyone has on how to take advantage of this change to make gil).

So between all those factors, yes, you may still be missing out on some potential money by having sold previously vs. waiting to sell post-patch (especially in the brief period where supply has surged but prices haven't dropped yet ... of course, there's also the risk that with the surge in supply, prices will plummet extra rapidly in that period thanks to undercutters, so decide what risk tolerance you're comfortable with).

But I seriously doubt the net difference would be nearly as big as that simple 400 million gil napkin math.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

I'm down to farm Law whenever I'm on unless I'm leveling DRK. What is the fastest way to get law tomes anyway, is it speedrun ARF parties?

It's going to be Hunts.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I am really excited for the new dungeons.

Dungeons are my favorite part of the game.

I, too, love dungeons and am very sad they are only doing 2/patch now but maybe it won't be as bad with half the patch cycle length. I also am hoping and praying for a day where they come up with alternative modes to run the dungeons in with your chocobo and/or retainers to do special challenges for fun cosmetic rewards or something.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy poo poo I just noticed that the challenge log entry for playing Lord of Verminion is "Come Play Lord". Are they actually making a reference to Evony ads of all things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I wouldn't put it past the localization team

• Locked thread