Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FutureCop posted:

Does anyone know if fully-charging a melee charge attack makes a difference in the strength of the attack? To do a charged attack, you technically only need to hold the mouse button down for a brief moment, so I'm unsure if holding it down further makes it hit harder, or is just for timing.

It's just for timing and positioning, so that you can backstep, charge, and then move back into range, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I can't get on with the rapier for witch hunter. I accept that it does great single target damage but I really miss the crowd control of the double handed sword. Any tips?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It actually does a great job at skirmishing with people if you keep moving side to side and front to back while light attacking. The stab also pierces multiple rats and does big damage, and both attack types have Headshot so if you swing at head level you'll start harvesting rats. It works best as a skirmishing weapon around the side of a fight while a buddy with a shield gets their attention, but it's a pretty great weapon overall.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr Cuddles posted:

I can't get on with the rapier for witch hunter. I accept that it does great single target damage but I really miss the crowd control of the double handed sword. Any tips?
Its got good piercing range on the stab so can hit a lot at once if you've got the terrain right, but quick attack spam is also really effective. It'll stunlock clanrats very well and has pretty decent coverage, and really racks up the damage with headshots. Working in tandem with a shield user is where its best, especially using the stabs to clear out the flanks, but you can keep a good-sized group of rats stunned if you attack while strafing. You'll need to be quick on the back-dodges or blocks because every once in a while a clanrat will jump at you from the stunned horde, but mostly, keep moving.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Al Borland posted:

penetrate on both normal and charged attacks.

Axe + Shield has armor penetration on both attacks as well. I'd argue that it may be the best melee weaponset in the game for fighting Stormvermin due to its armor pen, high block, and AoE stunlock capability, which leaves the 1H axe with little role.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Drythe posted:

And covering the flank. Especially since the staff doesn't use ammo.

I prefer the primary attack on fireball/conflag for CC over the conflag secondary. On nightmare it's trickier due to friendly fire, but if you are firing enfilade, you will often hit 2 or more rats with a single shot. This can easily lead to more dead rats/unit heat than a fully charged conflagration, and allows cooling down in between and does not require as much co-ordination with the team.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I wasn't even saying to do that. Charging a conflag shot to kill a few rats is dumb, don't do that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Drythe posted:

I wasn't even saying to do that. Charging a conflag shot to kill a few rats is dumb, don't do that.

Sorry, wasn't suggesting you were, just wanted some part to refer back to conflag staff talk.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mr Cuddles posted:

Also yes to all the rapier-stuff mentioned, but if you wanna go for the double handed then go for it because it's fukken badass. :colbert:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I have a really cool 1h sword for the soldier with +2 stamina points and swift slaying. The charged attack has headshot too, so it lets me ruin stormvermin without needing a handgun if someone else in my team wants to be the designated sniper.

Have we heard any more about red quality items the dev talked about? I want them to have unique traits like giving the BW a flaming sword that does more damage the higher your heat gauge is.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Metrohunter posted:

I have a really cool 1h sword for the soldier with +2 stamina points and swift slaying. The charged attack has headshot too, so it lets me ruin stormvermin without needing a handgun if someone else in my team wants to be the designated sniper.

Have we heard any more about red quality items the dev talked about? I want them to have unique traits like giving the BW a flaming sword that does more damage the higher your heat gauge is.

Cue wizard eclipsing the elf as worst pubbie character as they constantly overheat, explode, and complain that it's everyone else's fault.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

at least the wizard has a fleeting moment of usefulness when they die, unlike the elf

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Metrohunter posted:

Cheat Engine shows memory addresses for iron_tokens, bronze_tokens, and silver_tokens, (white, green, blue upgrade mats respectively)

But it also has an entry for gold_tokens, so either they're dummied out or they definitely have plans for some sort of higher upgrade tier in the future.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rolled oranges for the first time: Dual daggers. :smith:

+2 to stamina, chance to proc + attack speed on normal strikes and chance to recover health on charged hits. :unsmigghh:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mr Cuddles posted:

Also don't forget to map your 'special' button to a hotkey you remember so you can instantly fire the offhand pistol.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also don't forget to map your 'special' button to a hotkey you remember so you can instantly fire the offhand pistol.

Also remember that the sidearm damage doesn't scale with rapier quality. The orange rapier pistol takes 3 shots to kill a slave rat on cataclysm :smithicide:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mr Cuddles posted:

It provides a different sort of crowd control. Less knockback, but faster and still has plenty of sweep. You can tie up fairly large group of slave/clanrats, but you have to stay mobile. You can also blender slaverats quite quickly, as you will almost always 2 shot them, and frequently 1 shot them in the head. If you have Devastating blow, you can also quickly knock a bunch down and then continue swiping. Thrusts are more for Stormvermin & specials, or want the extra lunge forward.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Be a man and zweihander it

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zhulik posted:

Also remember that the sidearm damage doesn't scale with rapier quality. The orange rapier pistol takes 3 shots to kill a slave rat on cataclysm :smithicide:

Ugh, I didn't know that. Hopefully they fix it because it is one of the fun unique things about the rapier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PantsOptional posted:

If you're in bleedout health (grey bar) and you recover health through a bloodlust/regrowth weapon, does it increase the bleedout health or switch you over into normal health again?

It increases the bleed out health until you get down to that magic pixel of health left. Let it run down to 1hp and it turns to a normal health bar.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Skandranon posted:

Cue wizard eclipsing the elf as worst pubbie character as they constantly overheat, explode, and complain that it's everyone else's fault.
Is the wizard generally considered Bad? She's my favourite character so far.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Zephro posted:

Was a response to this:

Metrohunter posted:

I want them to have unique traits like giving the BW a flaming sword that does more damage the higher your heat gauge is.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

none of the characters are bad

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zephro posted:

The wizard is really good, it's just played carelessly she tends to explode or take a lot of venting damage.

Every character is good and fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zhulik posted:

Aw poo poo. I knew it was taking me two shots to kill a clanrat on hard but I thought that was because I had a blue and I was a victim of scaling. They need to fix that.

Zephro posted:

That post was about a hypothetical sword that does more damage the more heat-meter you have and how you'd end up with pub wizards self-immolating all the time if that sword existed. I like pub BWs, they're generally fairly okay. The concept of "shoot bolts at individuals" and "AoE groups of people" and "don't explode yourself" are pretty simple and they can really put out the hurt if you protect them, which I try to.

e: Once people understand what the heat meter means, anyhow.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

explosivo posted:

It increases the bleed out health until you get down to that magic pixel of health left. Let it run down to 1hp and it turns to a normal health bar.

That makes sense. I was doing an Enemy Below run last night and had gone into bleedout but then a few minutes later noticed that I was at like 60%. Thanks.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

give the dwarf a hammer that has increased damage for 30 seconds after drinking a potion and make it give him drunk vision

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I just picked up this game and did the first mission but couldn't finish it? I got in the wagon and closed the door but nothing happened. Did I miss something?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

seizure later posted:

I just picked up this game and did the first mission but couldn't finish it? I got in the wagon and closed the door but nothing happened. Did I miss something?

I don't think it will let you win if there are other people who are alive who aren't in the wagon.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

I've had the wagon bug out and not let me leave multiple times. Everyone was in the wagon. It's really lovely when it happens and I hope they fix it soon.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Sometimes opening and closing the door again, or having someone get off and on will fix it. Unfortunately, you don't always have time to troubleshoot when the rats are upon you.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

My group have tried all that as well as killing someone and then going to go fetch their respawned rear end and then hauling back to the wagon and we've never made it out :arghfist:

Gealar
May 2, 2013
I had an interesting experience with a friend on Gardens of Morr. It was my friend's first time through the map. He was the WH and got grabbed by a packmaster. The whole group spun around and fired some potshots at it. One of the shots knocked it back into a rock and it went through the rock. Since the packmaster was now inside the level it fell to what i guess is the bottom of the map on a grey looking sky. Unfortunately it pulled my friend with him. Sometimes there not much you can do when the game really decides to screw you over. We still beat the level but that was kind of a what do we do moment.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

see now, poo poo like that is hilarious
getting to the end of horn with 3 tomes and 2 grimoires only to have the wagon bug out is not

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I don't think it will let you win if there are other people who are alive who aren't in the wagon.

Everyone was alive and in the wagon, and we tried opening and closing the door and getting out and in again, but it never left the game. We eventually just died to continuous hordes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm really bad at throwing the barrel to the middle objective on the wharf level!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Night10194 posted:

The wizard is really good, it's just played carelessly she tends to explode or take a lot of venting damage.

Every character is good and fun.
Fair enough. I've never self-immolated, I don't know how you can ignore the increasingly high-pitched shrieking sound effects, the flames everywhere, the big red bar in your vision and your character literally saying "Argh, too much magic" etc.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

seizure later posted:

Everyone was alive and in the wagon, and we tried opening and closing the door and getting out and in again, but it never left the game. We eventually just died to continuous hordes.

weird. definitely had it not trigger properly, but everyone walking out, and walking back in has always fixed it. host probably thinks someone isn't in the exit zone, thanks desync

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

I'm really bad at throwing the barrel to the middle objective on the wharf level!

you can't just stand anywhere; once you find the right spot you'll never miss again though. also make sure to do that warehouse first, so you don't waste your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ZearothK posted:

Rolled oranges for the first time: Dual daggers. :smith:

+2 to stamina, chance to proc + attack speed on normal strikes and chance to recover health on charged hits. :unsmigghh:

Daggers were my first orange too. I hated them for a while but after a few runs they clicked for me. They attack so fast that you can easily counter hit most rats before they finish their attack animation. Headshots will one hit kill, and the power attacks completely poo poo on stormvermin and rat ogres. The shove/block animations are really quick so you should get plenty of use out of the extra stam, and the attack speed buff will let you poke rats to death that much faster since you already have a really high attack speed.

• Locked thread