Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

They have have already won the 2016 presidential election. Just as they won 2012.

Conservatism was failed that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Someone jog my memory because I completely forget: Didn't the administration also come back a few days later and say 'oh woops turns out it was an organized attack' without any external pressure? If it were a cover-up why would they then turn around and give it away just a few days later?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

This one is pretty amazing since it seems so clear cut. Is my timeline accurate on this?

1. Carson writes a book in which he claims he got a scholarship to West Point
2. Journalists look into it, find that he never applied to West Point, according to West Point
3. Politico calls his campaign, campaign manager says he was told he should apply but decided not to, confirming 2.
4. Politico writes story stating this
5. Carson campaign claims Politico is lying.

I have to say, one of the scariest things about the last couple of election cycles has been watching campaigns realize that they can just straight up deny stuff like this and not pay a price for it with their constituents.

Joementum's alter-ego is pushing the narrative that Politico is overplaying its hands because 3 months ago he said this:

Here's the book text:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget there were demonstrations/violence at several embassies on 9/11/12 (I know Egypt was one, I think some of the others were SE Asia) that were at least partially in response to the Mohammed Movie Trailer. The State Department tweeting for calm regarding the Egyptian Embassy was at one point part of 'showing weakness' in the Benghazi conspiracy.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

This is seriously a thing I just saw.

I have to think the only answer for this is Carson is saying that his past is a bunch of lies.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I thought it was pretty much accepted that Obama administration trotted the youtube video out because the Benghazi attack was in direct contradiction to their claims of Al-Queda being weakened/beaten back.

I'm not trying to give legitimacy to conservative conspiracy theories but Benghazi was a embarrassment to the claims the administration were making.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It all lead to please proceed Governor and HRCs triumphal hearing so if I were the GOP is give up at this point.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I thought it was pretty much accepted that Obama administration trotted the youtube video out because the Benghazi attack was in direct contradiction to their claims of Al-Queda being weakened/beaten back.

I'm not trying to give legitimacy to conservative conspiracy theories but Benghazi was a embarrassment to the claims the administration were making.

it's because there were a lot of protests that happened that day because of the video, and on the same day a planned terrorist attack hit benghazi, and it's entirely understandable that the administration did not know the difference within 48 hours of the event

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, that much was pretty obvious. But the administration came out a few days later with a whooops we were wrong.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Necc0 posted:

Someone jog my memory because I completely forget: Didn't the administration also come back a few days later and say 'oh woops turns out it was an organized attack' without any external pressure? If it were a cover-up why would they then turn around and give it away just a few days later?

You don't understand. That event that you're describing straight-up never happened according to true believers. Or it's just a feeble attempt by a weak administration trying to save face. Or it's literally anything they want it to be because facts never mattered.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

zoux posted:

Joementum's alter-ego is pushing the narrative that Politico is overplaying its hands because 3 months ago he said this:

Here's the book text:

and these are the people who are still gleefully going on about "herf derf it depends on the definition of "is!""

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
to be fair, the story isn't that carson flubbed the details of an event that happened in his life four decades ago. most people don't remember exactly what happened when they were in high school applying for colleges

the story is that he tends to embellish his backstory, which is one of the only things he has to run on, and if you call him out on it, he gets really upset

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo guys, here it is in plain English: full scholarships!

Plus I'm not sure but I think that's Ben Carson in the ad! drat Liberal Media!

(Seriously, isn't Politico pretty right-wing?)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pathetic little tramp posted:

According to Bill O Reilly Politico is right down the middle. So yes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's actually not the first time he's mentioned West Point and ROTC. I dunno what to think he as he's probably not just a straight up liar but is just a fachidiot.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hollismason posted:

That's actually not the first time he's mentioned West Point and ROTC. I dunno what to think he as he's probably not just a straight up liar but is just a fachidiot.

:hfive:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fachidiot posted:

As a professional idiot (especially in Austria also specialized sucker) a is an expert called that a problem only from the perspective of its subject area knows only from his point of view (narrow-mindedness can detect) and not all possibilities and directions contemplates that for full intelligibility and comprehensibility of an object, thing or subject would be needed. Often the Fachidiot finds it difficult to empathize with others and to supplement its limited view and expand. Further possible ways of looking at it rejects as a result of selective perception (selfishness, narcissism) and consequent ignorance (see Semmelweis Reflex).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's a protest at the University of Missouri right now over anti-semitism among the student body. Someone drew a swastika made out of poo poo on a dorm room wall. The university refuses to do anything about that or other racist activities.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article43438974.html#storylink=fb_staff

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's a protest at the University of Missouri right now over anti-semitism among the student body. Someone drew a swastika made out of poo poo on a dorm room wall. The university refuses to do anything about that or other racist activities.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article43438974.html#storylink=fb_staff

strong journalism game there, Kansis Cety Stur.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Least surprising story ever: A bunch of Congressional Republicans are car dealership owners who want to sell John Boehner a car.

quote:

But Boehner said during exit interviews he looked forward to shopping for a new automobile.

Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa., who took ownership of his father’s Chevrolet-Cadillac dealership in the mid-1990s, said Boehner needs somebody he can trust when it comes to solving his transportation needs.

“I just happen to be that guy,” Kelly told HOH. “My whole life’s been about selling cars. I think he knows me pretty well, so I think I’d be the guy to give him the best information.”

But a Texas Republican who built his fortune in the auto industry countered that offer.

“It’s pretty simple. You get the best deal if you buy from Roger Williams,” he told HOH this week, on his way to a House vote. “I’ll deliver it to him. I’ll sell it cheaper than anybody — and I’ll give him service.”

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Heritage not hate. :heritage:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The 18 year old who stabbed four people at UC Merced left behind a detailed plan. He did it because he was angry about being kicked out of a study group. His master plan was to zip cuff students in a classroom to desks, wait for the police, and spray petroleum jelly on the ground so they would slip and fall and he would take their guns and shoot everyone.

Was he also going to play a crazy kazoo as accompaniment to the officers falling to the ground?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Least surprising story ever: A bunch of Congressional Republicans are car dealership owners who want to sell John Boehner a car.

John Boehner furiously pumps the breaks, but the car still won't slow down.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Joementum posted:

"I couldn't trust you yahoos to run a government, why would I trust you to sell me a car." - John "Drop da mic" Boehner

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Why does my lease contract include a section that defunds Obamacare?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Politico just sharply moderated the tone of its lead story today.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lol you too can go to a prestigious military school and wear a hat wrong

(I know it's on purpose it looks stupid as gently caress)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Unrelated, but why is the strap over the guy's mouth? I'm assuming that's the way it's "supposed" to be but it just looks silly.

Edit:

Lemming posted:

Lol you too can go to a prestigious military school and wear a hat wrong

(I know it's on purpose it looks stupid as gently caress)
IKR? You know what really grinds my gears? Parade Hats!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Can someone explain to me why the gently caress the strap is like that?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hulk Krogan posted:

I have to say, one of the scariest things about the last couple of election cycles has been watching campaigns realize that they can just straight up deny stuff like this and not pay a price for it with their constituents.

But as an outsider its going to be hilarious to see in 20 years times two candidates come out and just shout and point 'PEDOPHILE' and the loudest wins.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Tigntink posted:

by wearing a big hat with the strap too small it makes it look like all your soldiers are so freaking huge beyond all expectation, your haberdashers were caught by surprise

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tigntink posted:

For some reason, some guys wear the strap of their shako on the front of their chin rather than under it. I have no idea why either.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

nutranurse posted:

This is the face of impotent white rage.

I dunno, I just see sadness and emptiness. She looks like she's about to cry, like :smith:.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Here's a good article from Mike Lofgren detailing the current relationship between conservatives and factual reality.
My biggest takeaway from this article is that we need to make an English version of the German word "fachidiot".

I propose "Fascidiot": an idiot who hides his idiocy behind a fascade of competency in one area.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Just remember folks, if Obama did this this person would be screaming for his head. It's always okay if you're Republican.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

JT Jag posted:

My biggest takeaway from this article is that we need to make an English version of the German word "fachidiot".

I propose "Fascidiot": an idiot who hides his idiocy behind a fascade of competency in one area.

You mean, someone who hides his fascism behind a facade of idiocy?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

For some reason, some guys wear the strap of their shako on the front of their chin rather than under it. I have no idea why either.

It's to prepare troops for Future War where they're all addicted to hulk out drugs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pretty sure David Vitter is going to poo poo himself when he sees this. Fortunately for him, he knows how to handle that situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQVCFVVVE0

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In non-election news, along with Keystone being rejected, other stuff happened:

NY Attorney General investigating Exxon Mobil for suppressing climate change research

The House approved a $300 billion dollar Highway bill

Progressive democrats gearing up to fight TPP

The high court agreed to hear another challenge to Obamacare’s contraception mandate.

New Ways and Means Chairman calling for tax reform...by slashing corporate taxes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

silvergoose posted:

You mean, someone who hides his fascism behind a facade of idiocy?
That can be an alternate definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This is when, immediately after the deaths were announced, Romney unscrupulously lunged on the incident to score some cheap political points on Obama, right?

• Locked thread