Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

a shameful boehner posted:

what exactly was the context behind this image again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5f0IC3tWyU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Joementum posted:

Least surprising story ever: A bunch of Congressional Republicans are car dealership owners who want to sell John Boehner a car.

Did Issa offer to steal one for him?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Literally the day after Benghazi, Mitt Romney held a press conference to attack Obama for it. That picture was taken while he was walking away from the podium afterwards.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ah that's right. what a bottomless sack of poo poo the republican party has become

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mitt Romney giving a press conference about Benghazi the day after it occured once it was known four people were killed, grinning the entire time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

Mitt Romney giving a press conference about Benghazi the day after it occured once it was known four people were killed, grinning the entire time.

He also walked off in the middle of it with that grin in mid question, iirc.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh poo poo guys, here it is in plain English: full scholarships!

Plus I'm not sure but I think that's Ben Carson in the ad! drat Liberal Media!

(Seriously, isn't Politico pretty right-wing?)

Don't you literally need a congressperson to write you a recommendation? I mean it's more of a formality than anything, it's not like your local congressperson will say no if a West Point recruiter asks them to write one, but the point is maybe Carson is confused because even the ads for West Point are lying!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Chokes McGee posted:

He also walked off in the middle of it with that grin in mid question, iirc.

I said it was inappropriate for a presidential candidate to be holding press conferences and apparently smiling over a percieved political victory without any of us knowing what's happened and this let to several retired people I knew chiding me for thinking I knew what I was talking about but the liberal media and my own young naïve ignorance of how Obama was actually terrible was misleading me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

eSports Chaebol posted:

Don't you literally need a congressperson to write you a recommendation?

He says he met General Westmoreland who told him he could get in. Remember, this was in 1968 and Westmoreland was the Army Chief of Staff and commander in Vietnam. It's pretty obvious he could have gotten Carson into West Point if he wanted.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, its congresscritter or an officer's recommendation. Westmoreland probably qualified.

So yeah, he's technically correct but it's not like they sent him a letter or anything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of believe his story. Is that terrible. Sounds like something that probably did in fact happen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

I kind of believe his story. Is that terrible. Sounds like something that probably did in fact happen.

Didn't they confirm that Westmoreland wasn't even around at the time?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think so. They only confirmed that Westpoint did not in fact offer him a scholarship.

quote:

There are, however, several reports of an event in February of that year, similar to the one Carson described. Then, Westmoreland was the featured guest at a 1,500-person banquet to celebrate Medal of Honor recipient Dwight Johnson. The event drew prominent guests, including the governor at the time, the mayor of Detroit, the president of Ford Motor Company and nine previous Medal of Honor awardees, according to an Associated Press account of the event.

Carson, a leader of the city’s ROTC program at the time, may have been among the invited guests at the $10-a-plate event.

Carson’s later retelling of the events in this period of his life downplays his meeting with Westmoreland and that event’s link to a West Point acceptance. In his January 2015 book, “You Have a Brain,” — a book geared toward teenagers — Carson again recalls his rapid rise through his high school ROTC program to become the top student officer in the city.

"That position allowed me the chance to meet four-star general William Westmoreland, who had commanded all American forces in Vietnam before being promoted to Army Chief of Staff at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.,” he wrote. “I also represented the Junior ROTC at a dinner for Congressional Medal of Honor winners, marched at the front of Detroit’s Memorial Day parade as head of an ROTC contingent, and was offered a full scholarship to West Point.”

I dunno why he would lie about a event like this for like loving decades.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 7, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

Don't you literally need a congressperson to write you a recommendation? I mean it's more of a formality than anything, it's not like your local congressperson will say no if a West Point recruiter asks them to write one, but the point is maybe Carson is confused because even the ads for West Point are lying!

The process of getting a nomination from a congresscritter is actually pretty competitive, you have to submit a bunch of letters of recommendation and test scores and have your application go up against the others your Rep/Senator's received. Each office only has a certain number of nominations.

If you happen to have a letter of recommendation from a freaking General, though, you really would be a shoo-in.

Edit: I'm not aware of a system where an officer could nominate someone directly. A system of days past? :shrug:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't they confirm that Westmoreland wasn't even around at the time?

Yeah, they confirmed he was in Washington DC on Memorial Day that year so people are saying Carson misremembered what parade he was at or when he actually met Westmoreland.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah, they confirmed he was in Washington DC on Memorial Day that year so people are saying Carson misremembered what parade he was at or when he actually met Westmoreland.

Oh. Well, yeah. I guess it's possible. Politico really jumped the gun on that one, boy, I dunno.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's such a long stretch plus he didn't double down on it like he has at other poo poo. I mean we're talking about someone who doubled down on his statement of fighting off a mass shooter. It's a completely believable and plausible story.

I legitimately believe Ben Carson has some sort of spectrum disorder.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i still crack up every time i read this

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nevermind

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I thought it was pretty much accepted that Obama administration trotted the youtube video out because the Benghazi attack was in direct contradiction to their claims of Al-Queda being weakened/beaten back.

I'm not trying to give legitimacy to conservative conspiracy theories but Benghazi was a embarrassment to the claims the administration were making.

Why was it "embarrassing"? There was tons of conflicting info going down for a good while, considering there were actual protests all over the ME.

And as someone mentioned, the administration came out and corrected themselves later.

Which is one of (many, MANY) things I find funny about this inane BENGHAZI! conspiracy. Obama and Hillary had this brilliant plan that they would try to save face on the terrorist attack by blaming it on a video (which did exist and WAS causing problems in other parts of the ME), only to back away from this just mere days later? Really? That was their master plan?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

More fun facts about getting into the military academies: the only other people besides your Congressperson woman can nominate are the President and the Vice President, so if absolutely necessary you can always try to throw yourself on the mercy of ol' Diamond Joe. :clint:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay, had a chance to watch that ad now and I'm not worried at all about Vitters' ad Obamanem attacks. Vitter's going to get crucified because if he ends up getting re-elected LA is going to be the first state to get kicked out of the union

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I don't think so. They only confirmed that Westpoint did not in fact offer him a scholarship.

Eh, it could be that this all really happened (in which case I mostly feel had for whatever hapless member of Carson's staff confirmed Politico's story), but it's not that difficult to believe that a person who told a lie kept telling that lie for a long period of time.

I mean, at what point was Carson gonna say "so that West Point story I've been telling for [a year/several years/over a decade] is a fiction based loosely on true events from my past"? If anything, the longer he told the lie, the more likely it became that he would continue to tell it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Okay, had a chance to watch that ad now and I'm not worried at all about Vitters' ad Obamanem attacks. Vitter's going to get crucified because if he ends up getting re-elected LA is going to be the first state to get kicked out of the union

Pretty sure Texas and Florida are much better candidates for that tbh.

Hell, wait a few years and Florida gets kicked out just because it's submerged.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Winner is Jew posted:

Don't worry, we're only gonna lose Miami, the rest of Florida is here to stay!!!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

A Winner is Jew posted:

What we consider Louisiana is already half-submerged.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Carson's lie is so minor.

He wasn't technically offered a scholarship, but someone told him he could get in if he wanted to go. I'm not surprised he forgot the difference 30 years later when he wrote the book. Doesn't matter.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Carson's lie is so minor.

He wasn't technically offered a scholarship, but someone told him he could get in if he wanted to go. I'm not surprised he forgot the difference 30 years later when he wrote the book. Doesn't matter.

When you aren't a person of substance, it doesn't take much to topple your character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It really isn't a big deal.

Him imploding over being unable to just say "I probably misremembered it and made it sound different than it was. Sorry about that. Not a big deal, right?" could be a big deal. Especially when he keeps getting questioned about his alleged past as a violent psychopath, Mannatech, crazy pyramid theories, his religion, or whatever other weird thing people can ask him to make him snap.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bad news, this isn't going to harm him with his base at all because acting indignant and then pivoting to something totally unrelated is all they know

Carson just handed the #2 or #3 spot to Cruz tonight, it's just a matter of old meltyface being smart enough to jump on it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Epic High Five posted:

Bad news, this isn't going to harm him with his base at all because acting indignant and then pivoting to something totally unrelated is all they know

Carson just handed the #2 or #3 spot to Cruz tonight, it's just a matter of old meltyface being smart enough to jump on it

What did he say now? I don't know why this whole thing would bring Cruz up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

If Carson loses anybody it's going to be evangelicals, and Cruz just seems like the first place they'd go looking with Santorum being such a non-starter

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

Just the usual "You liberal media are out to get me and are totally unfair and never scrutinize Obama or Hillary." That's right up Cruz's ally of bullshit so he'll jump all over it like he did during the CNBC debate. Since no one actually cares about Cruz so he just has to draft off the more popular candidates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fifteen years ago today was the first time a First Lady was elected to public office.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Yes you do.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

More fun facts about getting into the military academies: the only other people besides your Congressperson woman can nominate are the President and the Vice President, so if absolutely necessary you can always try to throw yourself on the mercy of ol' Diamond Joe. :clint:

Naw, the son/daughter of an O5 (LT Colonel/Commander) can get in on their parent's status

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boon posted:

Naw, the son/daughter of an O5 (LT Colonel/Commander) can get in on their parent's status

This is what kept me out the Naval Academy. One appointment for my Rep and it went to the kid with lower grades and fewer varsity letters cause his dad was an O-5 instructor there. :thumbsup: He didn't even accept the appointment, and I thank him every time I see him for helping me to dodge that bullet after going ROTC instead.

That being said, one of my old XO's commented on FB after I posted the Politico story on Carson, and he responded with an article out of loving the Daily Wire written by Ben Shapiro. :cripes:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ben Carson is a man of honesty and integrity.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ballz posted:

Ben Carson is a man of honesty and integrity.

Politifact rates this statement Mostly Untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Kalman posted:

Politifact rates this statement Mostly Untrue.

Half true. Ben Carson is a man

• Locked thread