Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Yea... explaining to someone that they might be cured or summarily executed through trickery is just a bitch to explain, if you know, you're a person with feelings and empathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think the point is you're not supposed to tell the subject about the placebo, just say it's an expiremental drug that may or may not help.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

p.s. i am thinking of making a big :effort: post about the geography since my silly google maps jpeg went over so well.

Do it

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Jehde posted:

I think the point is you're not supposed to tell the subject about the placebo, just say it's an expiremental drug that may or may not help.

I just looked this up and apparently it's a (federal, US) law that doctors must mention the existence of placebos in a study. Makes sense, but it's still lovely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo this is the most we've seen into dodd's character beyond "violent angry guy".

The scene with him in the car with his mother afterwards was really good too I thought, and showed he's got a little more depth than just the guy who wants to kill and torture his way through every problem.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jehde posted:

You're absolutely not allowed to keep that a secret from the people who sign up.

centaurtainment posted:

I just looked this up and apparently it's a (federal, US) law that doctors must mention the existence of placebos in a study. Makes sense, but it's still lovely.

It's way less lovely than lying to a person about the fact that there are placebos in the study; it lets the patient make an informed decision about whether to stick with drugs that may or may not be working for them for a new (risky) opportunity.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

jfood posted:

Yea... explaining to someone that they might be cured or summarily executed through trickery is just a bitch to explain, if you know, you're a person with feelings and empathy.

This is why they have a doctor do it!

Seriously though, of course they have to tell people if they might get a placebo in a clinical trial. It would be a lot shittier to not get the details of a study before you agree to be part of it or not. Any trial involving human subjects would have protocols for discarding the placebos in favor of the drug if evidence points strongly towards its effectiveness, which makes it a lot less lovely.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Peggy was an unwitting participant in operation infinite walrus.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think you're mixing up your Fargo and King of the Hill knowledge. One Peggy is a narcissistic psychopath, and the other ran over Rye. Molly's mom, who is dying of cancer, is Betsy.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
There is a whole field in science called bioethics related to informed consent for research subjects. For a placebo controlled trial, there are data monitoring committees who are looking at unblinded data throughout the study. As soon as the study drug is shown to have clinical effectiveness greater than placebo, actual study drug is administered to placebo subjects.

That doctor did a terrible job of not only explaining that her cancer was getting worse, but also explaining the trial. In reality there would be a rather lengthy discussion about the study, all of the visits it entails, subject responsibility, and side effects involving a very long informed consent. The likelihood of getting placebo over study drug is required by law to be disclosed. It's probable that there would be an open label extension study that would give placebo arm subjects access to the study drug after initial treatment. A lot of this depends on what phase clinical trial she signed up for.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Was that also the case back in the 70s?

Moltke
May 13, 2009
In 1979, yes. The National Research Act was signed into law in 1974 and by the late 70s HHS had a full slate of human subjects regulations. That's not to say it's impossible that the particular medical institution wasn't compliant with the regulations, since there are major problems regarding ethical compliance even to this day. I don't recall where she sought treatment, but it would also be highly unusual for a small town community hospital to run an advanced cancer trial. In any case, any institution conducting research would have its own Institutional Review Board to enforce its local ethical standards alongside federal, and these predate federal regulation by many decades. Dude was a bad doctor.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 6, 2015

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Lots of analysis going into the reality of a doctor in a fictional TV show.

E: For substance, I really enjoyed the mechanic shop scene when Hanzee went a bit crazy with his Vietnam talk. I can't wait for the confrontation between him and Fat Damon (which I am assuming will happen).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 6, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I really enjoyed the mechanic shop scene when Hanzee went a bit crazy with his Vietnam talk. I can't wait for the confrontation between him and Fat Damon (which I am assuming will happen).

maybe they'll team up and track down peggy in sioux falls lol

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I predict that Ed, aka Fat Damon, aka Meth Damon, will sacrifice himself to take out someone from the Gerhardts (most likely Hanzee) when they're either about to kill or traveling to kill Peggy. The only question in my mind is how much Nygard-level manipulation Peggy pours into him before that. I think it's either going to be a captured Fat Damon causing a car he's in to crash or he's going to be sent on a kill mission by Peggy and not get out of there alive.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Peggy's Sioux Falls crazy hippie lecture series is actually unrelated to tons of members of both the Gerhardt and Kansas City crews getting into a huge shootout there, given that we know we're heading toward a big Sioux Falls event they could be using Peggy as a misdirection.

The absolute craziest outcome would be Ed somehow living through a big betrayal by Peggy, like maybe she pins literally everything related to Rye from the car clash to the cleanup on Ed when they're both captured and Momma Gerhardt lets her go, and Ed somehow butchers his way out of that and ends up killing Peggy. I could totally see Peggy channeling Lester and spinning a huge tale of her terrible husband and how she was forced to go along with him and threatened all along the way.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm really hoping Ed goes literally insane and murders again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm really hoping Ed goes literally insane and murders again.

It might've been Breaking Bad influencing me, but as soon as I saw Jesse Plemons stab a guy out of nowhere I figured we'd find out later in the season that Ed has some dark past as a killer or criminal or something and that he'd prove to be super-capable in a fight. I'm half-expecting him to dispatch the entire Gerhardt family and everybody from Kansas City.

But he'd be really polite about it and tell each person he kills that it's "nothing personal".

Moltke
May 13, 2009
It's what I do for a living, I can't shut it off.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just caught up on this, just as good as the first season so far.

I'm wondering if everything bottled up inside Lou is going to explode at any point.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I vaguely hoped that the last episode wouldn't go the obvious route, but would actually have Peggy & Ed confess to Lou. He clearly knows what's up anyway and it would make that arc a little bit less predictable.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

John Dough posted:

I vaguely hoped that the last episode wouldn't go the obvious route, but would actually have Peggy & Ed confess to Lou. He clearly knows what's up anyway and it would make that arc a little bit less predictable.

I was kind of thinking that too, but then if they did where would their story go afterwards, other than both being whacked whilst in police custody?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Lemon posted:

I was kind of thinking that too, but then if they did where would their story go afterwards, other than both being whacked whilst in police custody?

Exactly. While them lying to Lou was predictable in the short run, it preserves a whole host more narrative options down the road besides "well, they're in witness protection now!" or getting set on fire in their protective custody cells.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It's one way of dealing with it, but having one or both of them tell the truth wouldn't necessarily close the door on both of their characters for the remainder of the story. For example, let's say Ed completely turned on Peggy and sang a song of coercion from his wife and maybe even Constance (Peggy's boss). Then you might have Peggy locked up, and maybe Constance and her rag-tag crew of lesbian biker girls break her out of prison and seek revenge. Or perhaps Constance was funneling women to these seminars, which were actually a "legit" operation of the KC mob, and now that Peggy and Constance are locked up they aren't going to meet their quota for Sioux Falls, and the prog rock trio have to come into Luverne guns blazing to get their girl out.

I'm just spitballin' here, but I guess I don't understand the fixation on this particular aspect of the story. We'll find out where things go, just be patient nerds :angel:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Am I the only one who is joneseing reeeal bad for next episode? It really is like the wire/BB/fargo s1, I'm unhealthily hooked and did not see it coming

e. you laugh, luther, yet you do not know my pain

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 8, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Let's hear it for Bruce Campbell as History's Greatest Monster. :v:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The legend of Ed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol at these idiots thinking meth damon is the butcher of anywhere mob affiliated.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
guns > bows

e: YES

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SHOTS FIRED.

Somebody explain to me why you keep referring to the butcher as Fat Damon.

e- I was just going to post that I couldn't wait to see The Kitchen Brothers vs. Red Man.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Eh, on second thought the mobsters wanted this to happen. I dont think fear motivated them, it was more like they used fear to justify it.

RADICAL loving OPENING 10 MINUTES THOUGH HOLY poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HOLY poo poo RED MAN - like a silent stealthy....rambo? chole from td? i dunno, he's awesome.

e: loving BRUCE CAAAAAAAAAAMBELL.

This is a very good show.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"yeah I'm not gonna do that"

50/50 Reagan gets abducted by aliens

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody explain to me why you keep referring to the butcher as Fat Damon.

He looks like a fat matt damon poster wtf.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

spoon0042 posted:

"yeah I'm not gonna do that"

drat. I wanted to know.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Even in death his hair's still looking fine.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
ya know, I like her. :allears:

e: "no witnesses", oh well.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
He's not gonna be able to do it, right? She's too nice and he's not going to be able to shoot her and she won't die (yet), right?

RIGHT? :ohdear:

Edit: Phew

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 10, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh gently caress

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh poo poo, Ed's dad's gonna get popped for Ed's fuckup. (Or not.)

e- FX has no problem killing teenage girls. See The Bridge.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
lol

got some pig meat

• Locked thread