Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rei_ posted:

i'm hoping Dracula gets involved by the end of Dr McNinja

also do we know who the main timelines Chuck is? It's not going to wind up being Doc is it

I was expecting him to say "Chuck Goodrich" into the thing and have KR appear right before him, but this is, if nothing else, more climactic.

Wonder how many more consecutive pages with flashbacks we're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Rei_ posted:

i'm hoping Dracula gets involved by the end of Dr McNinja

also do we know who the main timelines Chuck is? It's not going to wind up being Doc is it

I expect there to be plenty of callbacks all over the place, probably Dracula included. I was also wondering about Doc turning out to be a Chuck, but I think for example the Chuck that came back to stop dinosaur world was born in "the future" yet, so unless Chucks are born at different times then Doc couldn't be one. It's all speculation on my part, of course.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mind over Matter posted:

I expect there to be plenty of callbacks all over the place, probably Dracula included. I was also wondering about Doc turning out to be a Chuck, but I think for example the Chuck that came back to stop dinosaur world was born in "the future" yet, so unless Chucks are born at different times then Doc couldn't be one. It's all speculation on my part, of course.

Yeah, Chuck is from THE FUTURE. Every Chuck that appears belongs to the current "main timeline", until they orphan their own timeline by averting the catastrophe they were sent back to prevent.

No new Chuck has arrived to avert whatever future crisis exists now that the dinosaur threat has been eliminated. Another Chuck appeared in time to save the President, but that was King Radical in disguise, using the White House negazone to fake the arrival of a new time-traveling Chuck.

Crazy theory: The current timeline's Chuck is King Radical. The Radical Lands are the product of King Radical's own efforts in the present time, and Radical Chuck is from the same distant future that the other Chucks are. Now that the previous Chucks have removed enough catastrophes from the timeline for King Radical to start radicalizing Earth, Radical Chuck has created a stable time loop: he's responsible for both the creation and eventual destruction (through antagonizing Dr. McNinja into unleashing Sparklelord) of the Radical Lands, which will eventually lead to King Radical's own birth and mission into the past. But since he never realizes that he's in his own past it doesn't occur to him to safeguard his timeline, so he just repeats the errors of the previous Radical Chuck.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neo-kosmos continues to roll out all sorts of fun implications

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chuck is only from about 30 years or so ahead, isn't he? He was from the dinosaur invasion era, I thought.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Doc and Dino-Chuck arrived in the modified dino invasion timeline about 20 years in the future, judging by how everyone else aged. Dino-Chuck said that this was far enough before his own time that he had no idea what to expect the world to be like.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Today's Whomp is so good, it took me three reads before I saw it. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain is on Haitus for the month whilst Mary (who's taking over the art duties) gets a backlog up. Also the main character is Undine for reasons that remain completely beyond me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sleepless Domain is on Haitus for the month whilst Mary (who's taking over the art duties) gets a backlog up. Also the main character is Undine for reasons that remain completely beyond me.

Well aside from the fact that everyone else is fuckin dead

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well aside from the fact that everyone else is fuckin dead

I meant why from a writing perspective, not a narative one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
DUN'T BE ALARM.
I AM RUNNIE'S REPLACE.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

because she's cute??????

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not sure I'm following.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Needs a ring.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

fritz posted:

Not sure I'm following.

"Why did she decide to kill off the entire cast and make the moeblob the only surviving character?" is probably what was meant.

And the answer was probably "I guess writing about a girl carrying on as magical girl after her whole team gets unceremoniously one-shotted was the plan all along."

...I have to say, I do feel badly for the team, since I can't exactly say that they did anything wrong, unless random powers like gravity control are a known thing, in which case the fault is probably with the person who decided that five-girl squads with no supervision was the right way to patrol a town.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i've sort of been expecting some kind of "five spirits in one body" thing, but that might be too weird

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Rand Brittain posted:

who decided that five-girl squads with no supervision was the right way to patrol a town

A question I ask of every magic girl story

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it does seem slightly more relevant here, judging by the hints about the setting

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody else reading honey crab already

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
Honey Crab is great and good and only just started so now's the best time to get into it. Very interesting and cool animated/page transition stuff that takes advantage of the medium. Done by the same person who did I Want You To Feel The Pressure. Also has a Patreon!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

fun hater posted:

Honey Crab is great and good and only just started so now's the best time to get into it. Very interesting and cool animated/page transition stuff that takes advantage of the medium. Done by the same person who did I Want You To Feel The Pressure. Also has a Patreon!

This is really cool but it just drives me crazy when a comic doesn't have a rss feed. I stopped visiting a shitload of bookmarks for my comics every day like ten years ago, I'm too forgetful to keep track of poo poo nowadays.

Like, just a feed with a link to the site every time it updates is enough come on.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

fun hater posted:

A good comic

e:

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 6, 2015

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
Also just in case you aren't following the dedicated thread, Thorsby has a new comic he just started: Trixie Slaughteraxe for President. If you want a shorter taste of what Thorby's comics are like you should read Lies, Sisters and Wives.

e: and one more for good measure. My roommate makes Spase Cop which is a lighthearted, weird comic with good jokes and art that slides from slick cartoony looking guys to

thanks for listeninggggggggggggggggggg

fun hater fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 6, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

A good comic

e:

yes, very

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

...I have to say, I do feel badly for the team, since I can't exactly say that they did anything wrong, unless random powers like gravity control are a known thing, in which case the fault is probably with the person who decided that five-girl squads with no supervision was the right way to patrol a town.

To the befit of the writer, "shadows" with whatever that thing was packing seem to be an unknown factor.

It would make sense if that's the case. Start of the main narrative conflict being that whatever method was keeping the enemy at bay (the magical girl patrols) is now not working. It's Pacific Rim but with Sailor Moon instead of Mazinger.

I just hope that this errs to something in the middle of Madoka and Symphogear (IE: Dark but not to the exclusion of everything but not necessarily going full Super Robot) and not on the opposite end of the scale like Yuki Yuna is a hero and the utter hash that was Day Break Illusion (Which were both exercises in wallowing in one's Linken Park CDs).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 6, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fun neo-kosmos things: can you spot the common detail

for a given non-standard and heart-breaking definition of fun

this won't make much sense if you aren't already reading it though

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man neo-kosmos is just diving into some really interesting ethical territory real fast tbh

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Saw that twist coming, but it still is pretty hosed up. At least Tye's other friend is probably right next door?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 7, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

neo-kosmos

This is extremely homestuck. Whether or not this is a complement depends on your perspective.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is unabashedly so, yes

kind of unsurprising when you look at the creators though

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Also these characters seem too much like glib millennials for being space children raised isolated in alien laboratories.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
maybe that's what the aliens are trying to do.

recreate the dominant culture of earth's golden age decadent collapse for historical purposes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

Also these characters seem too much like glib snake people for being space children raised isolated in alien laboratories.

i imagine there's gotta be a bit of cultural bleed from their reptilian scientist handlers

i love this extension

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

300 pages to get out of the drat door. I'll come back for the epic conclusion in 2035, I think.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on the other hand, the comic's been running for like a few months, 300 pages is a bit of an update pace :v

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Tollymain posted:

on the other hand, the comic's been running for like a few months, 300 pages is a bit of an update pace :v

Well, that's kind of how it goes when each "page" is just a single panel. The fact that they specifically seem to be approaching it with a cartoon production standard of making stock backgrounds to reuse from panel to panel cuts down on a lot of worktime as well.

Personally, I have to admit I got sick of the MSPA approach of stuffing a bunch of dialogue underneath an image with a "chat window" framing device a couple of years ago. It creates a disconnect between the characters and the dialogue that makes it harder for me to get attached to them, and the interactions in Neo Kosmos aren't nearly as charming as early Homestuck was to compensate, so it's all kind of tedious.
But maybe I'm just burnt out on awkward 20-somethings trying to emulate awkward teenager speech patterns, and the action/plot bits will be more successful at grabbing me.

EDIT: Okay, I got further in and the sheer decompression in the comic is getting to totally ridiculous levels. Do we really need a dozen or so consecutive panels of characters just sitting in silence to establish a tense relationship?

Morbi fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 8, 2015

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

fun hater posted:

Also just in case you aren't following the dedicated thread, Thorsby has a new comic he just started: Trixie Slaughteraxe for President.
Is there a new dedicated thread somewhere? The old one is locked for archiving.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Calling Sparklelord still seems like a "release snakes to get rid of all the pigeons" strategy but it would be a interesting continuation of the theme that Dr. McNinja's one blind spot is King Radical.

Also for Demon, anyone who saw this coming please line up to receive your free complementary cum-knife.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Countdown until Jimmy uses traps made of fetal stem-cells to catch other demons.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That explains why there was no issue with Hunter being in the wife's body, I never suspected the daughter would be the one who was pregnant.

• Locked thread